How Not to be a Jerk Pirate: Being a Good Crew Mate

• Recently, I've heard many a tavern tale of pirates struggling to find a regular crew. I've run across many a solo pirate with stories of being brigged, being blocked, or being ignored by fellows they had once sailed with.

In order to ensure a lasting crew, one must first ensure one is being a good crew mate.

So here is my cursory guide to being a jolly good pirate to sail with.

1.Communication! As in any good relationship, communication is key. It is difficult to get into a rhythm as a crew without it. It is fine to shoot off of the boat to gather supplies. Just make sure you let your crew know, so that they are aware they are a man down and can adjust accordingly. Get crew consensus on voyage types, attacking other ships, etc. so that everyone knows what is going on.

If you don't have a mic, utilize pirate chat. We are all aware of its limits, but limited communication is better than no communication! Utilize it to the best of your ability. I've seen many a pirate locked up for an unwillingness to communicate.

And speaking of communication...

2.DON'T BE BOSSY It is one thing to communicate, it is quite another to order others around. Unless the crew has AGREED upon a captain, no one has the right to tell others what to do. Instead, make request. "I'm going to need those sails at half soon" vs "Pirate, put those sails at half mast." Try adding "can you" before any desired action. It will go a long way towards making one seem less demanding and less difficult to work with. "Can you raise the anchor?" "Can you vote to cancel?" "Can you put a shirt on, your muscles are distracting me?"

If you have been voted as a captain, please remember that this entitles you to choose voyage types, order of islands, pvp opportunities, etc. It does not mean you need to micro-manage and start bossing everyone around. Everyone knows about keeping the sails in the wind, two manning the sails, storing gunpowder in the crows nest, etc. You don't need to demand your crew do the things that they already are doing or you will soon find yourself the captain of a one man ship.

sidenote In maritime, the helmsman is NOT the captain. The captain delegates jobs, plots courses, makes decisions that will affect the ship and voyage. They do not steer! So stop assuming you are the captain because your at the helm. If anything, being at the helm would make one the LAST option for captain.

The obvious exception to rule 2 is if someone asks for guidance. We are tasked with helping pirates who are new to the seas! But, unless a fellow crew member tells you otherwise, assume everyone knows as much about the game as you do.
    On that note...

3.No One like a Bragger So, you can dock a galleon in Thieves Haven? You've soloed the kraken? You have purchased all of the figureheads? You've reached Pirate Legend? Guess what...so have loads of others. We don't need to hear about all of your "great acomplishments" that, more likely than not, other members of your crew have already done as well.

Focus on your current playing session and making a new, fantastic memory with what your doing in the present. Engage with your crew to try new and exciting things. Go goof off! Get silly! Try and get some killer screen grabs! Create unique experiences to talk about!

4.Be Present By this I mean be aware of the ship, the crew and the situation as a whole.

Don't dash off the ship to find the treasure if she's still not stopped. Unless of course, you've checked with the crew to make sure it is okay (this harkens back to rule 1). Chances are, you are just excited to get to do the things that are your favorite to do. That's great! But, remember, there are others in your crew that may want to do them just as badly as you do. Be fair! If someone likes staying behind and prepping the ship or being lookout, by all means let them. But NEVER assume someone else prefers this job, or any job for that matter. If there is a task that no one enjoys, share the burden.

Read the room....if your fellow pirates seem uninterested in viewing your different hairstyles and outfits: 1. Remember, no one likes a bragger, and 2. Don't try to force them to look at you and give their opinion. Or, if you are the ONLY one who wants to do a fort, and everyone else wants to continue the voyage, don't whine about it until they concede. Be aware that a crew is about teamwork. Sometimes you will have to put your own desires aside in order to foster your relationship with your crew.

Sometimes, working with others can be hard. But your reward will be companionship and camaraderie that will travel the seas with you for many a journey.

Happy sailing!

Views
    1. Don't abuse the AFK time-out. If you're not prepared to play the game, don't play the game yet. If you can't be bothered to earn your own loot, make room for someone who will.
      (the occasional bathroom/food/stretch break is fine. In fact I highly encourage taking 5-10 minute breaks, every 2 hours or so. Your hands will thank me when you're older.)
    2. If you do have a microphone, make sure you aren't annoying to listen to. Check your background noise (pets, children, your own speakers, etc), make sure your mic isn't producing a constant buzz or static from feedback or dirty connections. Mute yourself when you cough/sneeze/burp/chew, otherwise your crew will most likely do it for you. If you understand telephone etiquette, you understand microphone etiquette. Use it.
    3. Use your words like a big boy/girl. Instead of endlessly harassing a crewmate in hopes that they'll magically read your mind, take the 30 seconds to type it out, or send them an xbox message.

It's not just your in-game behavior that matters

1. Don't spam invites. One is fine, thanks.
    2. Being on someone's "Friends List" doesn't mean you're actually friends. People are in no way obligated to give you personal information, special treatment, or extra attention just because you're on a poorly-named contact list.
  • @pink-geek-chic and @DeliciousPack

Some good pointers by both of you.
    I only disagree with one, the topic of PvP. This should be a crew decision just like skull forts.

I am fortunate to have such a good helmsman that I find fitting to be called captain even though it's not in his gamertag nor has he ever mentioned it.
    He does ask on the crew's decision to do most things even though he has a mind of his own and can make decisions for himself.
    He also adds the word "please" quite often and if he has been ignored he simply does the task himself without biting at others for not following orders.

Of course I have also sailed with some people who are the complete contrast. It's not hard to guess which has become my regular crew mate.

Fair winds and happy sailing. :o)

• On the topic of muting your mike, I would add having conversations with someone in the room or on your phone...

• @admiral-rrrsole Hahaha sounded like you talked about me 😂😂😂 i use alot of please and Thank you (gametag)

But just one thing, If your driving the boat then you have to be the captain so your crew can attack and focus on the thing your doing (and boring captain job making shure boat is safe)

If i join a random crew and i se a Guy that are captain (then i just smile and enjoying the game) because Im a pvp’er and that what i enjoy, but had to take the role of captain when i went out to find My own crew, but i can admit Ive Done Manny mistakes but i alsow learn,

So let people learn and let them do mistakes,

When it comes to mic (No mic No play) with me atleast (had few people that showed me wrong) that they heard My commands and everything worked fine.

When it comes to people with children (the only thing that makes me mad is when) If there child is loud in background and they say

Im so sorry for the loud noice in background <— then i reply (Never say sorry for your family maan) we are all gamers
    And we have a life, we have family, and Manny players want to enjoy there game, never put a person in the dark because they have a family.

• Driving the boat is 10% hands on the wheel and 90% off the wheel seeing where your going.

So don’t ask people to raise the sails so you can see. Move the sails so you can see or give you step by step turn instructions!

If you can’t figure that out stay off the helm!

• Me and my buddies have played years of CS:GO both on matchmaking and ESEA. Communication is key in order to be an effective team and is a must.

When we started playing Sea of Thieves, the communication and call-outs just felt natural to us, because of the above - we basically call out everything we do in a low-key but effective manner when playing, and this insures each crew member knows exactly whats going on, at all times.

I could imagine open crews are a hell on earth when it comes to communication. It surely seems so when we fight those types of crews.

BOSSY, yes i can confirm this - and we never do this! Work together instead. We're all the captain and shot-caller on our ship.

I also agree on the few last topics! Very well put together thread, and i'm sure alot will find this useful.

• @pink-geek-chic

I'll add to this something similar to @Emanuel-Wynnn.

A lot of good communication needs to happen as you're playing - comments on where you are, what you're doing, what direction you're travelling in, whether you're going to need help etc.

More important even perhaps is communication during a battle whether against skellies or other crews.

In my view it's the helmsman who needs to direct battle initially because the position and movement of the ship is often critical and getting into those positions needs the crew to assist.

Next it's usually helpful if the crew members co-ordinating their actions together are informing everyone else of how the attack might be carried out, their intentions. Being a lone ranger in battle and trying to go solo and independently, doesn't often work well, especially when repairs might need doing, sails adjusting, cannons firing etc. Sometimes you need to be quiet in case the other crew hears your chat, but I think it's still useful to keep that communication going beforehand.

Without doubt, the crew who work best and are successful are those with a more or less constant stream of good communication that informs not only of your current actions but your intentions and needs.

• Rules for a great crew.

1. Establish and assign primary and reserve roles. Being organized goes a long ways towards having a successful voyage. We use a number system to assign pirates to their roles.
      1 is a "Shark". A "Shark" is an enemies worst nightmare. He is usually the crews best hand to hand pvp player and handles boarding enemy vessels via cannons, sword lunges, trails, mast jumps, etc..... . A "Shark" is assigned to cannon 1 ( closest to bow), takes up defensive position on the bow sprit during "ram" situations and needs no permissions to leave the ship at any given time. He is assigned to the front sail in peaceful maneuvers.
    2. Sea Dog- A "Sea Dog" is our most well rounded pirate. He is assigned cannon 2 and takes up defensive position 10ft up the mid mast. His duties are to supplement #1 during battle, Quarter guard ladders, and bail when needed. A "Sea Dog" is assigned to mid mast in peaceful maneuvers (moves to fore mast to help 1 once mid is raised) and is your "spotter" (crows nest). "Sea Dogs" never leave the ship without permissions/orders.
    3. Captain- Who better to make sure your ship stays afloat then the man himself? The "Captain" is the signal caller during battle ( gives permissions and tactical calls). He is usually the pirate with the best "feel" for the overall game and has to be a beast on cannons. He man's cannon #3 (nearest to the stairwell) and takes up defensive position at the stern. His primary duties are to lead the crew on a successful voyage, patch, ladder guard and supplement helmsman. He is assigned to mid mast ( with #2) in peaceful maneuvers (moves to aft once mid sail is raised to support 4). A Captain doesn't "beg" his crew to do anything (the less chatter the better). Call outs like " Battle Sails", " 90 Anchor Port" or "Cut right" are perfectly acceptable and preferred during battle.
      There's nothing worse for a crew than to have an indecisive Captain!
    4. Helmsman- Your Helmsman's biggest responsibility is to deliver a "smooth" voyage throughout the night. He makes all "call outs" during peaceful maneuvers and is connected to the hip with the Captain during battles. He man's cannon #4 (closest to the helm) and is assigned aft sail during peaceful maneuvers. The Helmsman should be the "last" at all things during battle. The last to man the cannons, the last to patch, bail, quarter guard, etc.... He needs to have his head on a swivel because he's always exposed and should be your most defensive player (a player that knows how to dodge cannon shots, eats bananas while running the stairs on the p**p deck, dodges and blocks well and rarely gets "green lighted" from a distance. He needs to be decisive and able to bounce quickly between the helm and cannon #4. He should never "dig in" (fire more than 3-4 shots) while moving. Just as 1&2 are connected to the hip so are 3&4!
      The most important thing to remember after establishing roles is that everyone "hustles" for the ""Queen" (ship). You'll know when its time to relax ( those long hauls from Galleons Grave to Keel Haul😁) and have a beer or 3! Have fun gang and happy sailing!
  • @deliciouspack excellent suggestions!

• @emanuel-wanna thank you...just things I've noticed in my countless hours of pirating!

• @katttruewalker

Without doubt, the crew who work best and are successful are those with a more or less constant stream of good communication that informs not only of your current actions but your intentions and needs.

Absolutely!

• @bern-dimall fantastic!

• @ant-heuser-kush I understand and agree with your view. I was speaking more to mute players who are also not being an asset to the crew. Who take off from the ship unexpectedly or who aren't assisting with sailing.

If you are a good crew mate, you have every right to go incommunicado. However, chances are, if you aren't being a good crew mate AND aren't communicating, you will not be sought out for future voyages.

Thank you for your perspective and happy (quiet) sailing!

• @ant-heuser-kush said in How Not to be a Jerk Pirate: Being a Good Crew Mate:

Listening and being able to read what is going on around you is just as important.

Technically, that's still communication. One-way communication, but communication nonetheless.

But I whole-heartedly agree. If you're confident in your own skills, you don't really need a mic. I also agree that too much "comms chatter" is just as much of a detriment as being unable to communicate entirely.

• @deliciouspack said in How Not to be a Jerk Pirate: Being a Good Crew Mate:

I also agree that too much "comms chatter" is just as much of a detriment as being unable to communicate entirely.

Oh absolutely! Having fun and joking around is great, but understand there is a time and place for it. The middle of a heated pvp for a fort is not the best time to regale the group with your latest PUBG strategy.

This would harken to the "BE PRESENT" tip!

• @deliciouspack said

I also agree that too much "comms chatter" is just as much of a detriment as being unable to communicate entirely.

Most definitely. My regular duo partner and I have hosted a galleon where someone on his friends list will invite one of their own friends and all they do is talk non-stop between each other. They might as well just stay in a private chat party. Never once helped with sails and always jumped off the ship before it came to a safe stop. Too bad if it scraped the ground and needed repairs.
    Sure we talk most of the time and it's usually off topic to the game but there are times when we pause to focus on our surroundings.

Streamer are another huge peeve with me. Don't boast about how "you" are playing this game and what "we've" just done when you haven't moved off the bowsprit for the entire game. Or when you have moved you've repeatedly jumped all of the way from bow to stern and back again non-stop.
    If I could shoot useless streamers dead in-game I would. More so on a sloop.

• COMMUNICATION!

Case in point...while three of us were trying to clear a massive group of skellies in order to dig up a chest on our Athena's voyage, I noticed a mermaid spawned. One crew mate decided it wasn't worth it and started for the next island.

This should have been a group decision, and it should have been COMMUNICATED.

Bad teamwork......

• @Pink-Geek-Chic I'm fairly certain I've been "that guy" who brags about all of his outfits before, and on your own crew, no less! 😅

Wait... Did you get that from me? 😨

• @bern-dimall geeze, i hope i don't get into a fight with your crew

• A solid read and many great points of general team play. Communication cannot be emphasized enough when working with a crew who essentially have to work as one.

But, I will say that I disagree with you about the helmsman being one of last choices for a "captain" role. If anything they should be considered one of the first. The person in direct control of your ship with vision that oversees the entire surrounding environment at almost all times with minimal side roles should absolutely be calling your shots (while still abiding by crew majority rules of course), but that is just my opinion based on my experience.

Other than that, very well put.

• @grooz-on-twitch I understand the thought process behind the helmsman being captain. But, in my opinion, the captain needs to be able to assess everything at once. That means the navigation, sail angles, threats, resource supply...everything. If the helmsman were to try to stay apprised of all of that, I foresee a lot of grounded galleons :)

The helmsman is VERY important. Listening to the helmsman is even more important. He/she is responsible for one of the most important tasks, maneuvering the ship. Without that, everything else is next to impossible. However, its because of this responsibility that the helmsman is not the captain in maritime scenarios. Their focus needs to be primarily on the helm and the ship's movements. A captain needs to be able to focus on EVERYTHING, above and below deck.

• @pink-geek-chic thank you for the reply. You say that the captain needs to be able to have access to "navigation, sail angles, threats, resource supply...everything.", most of which can easily be assessed from the helm. Now, tasks assigned are subjective for each and every crew and it may differ what each crewmember does.

This is also implies extensive time spent at the wheel which I do not recommend. The helmsman should definitely take time off the helm (within controlled parameters) to assess ship and crew status.

• @theothervillain Well it depends😀 Sometimes Swanny is snoring in the mic and it takes a cannonball hitting @BRADBRE-360 to vibrate his controller in his hand to wake him from slumber, all the while Irbs changing calvins diaper or Murph is schmoozin his wife for an extra hours playtime.😀

• I dont think the captain HAS to be any position as long as they are a good leader and delegate the work between crew members well. Now in my crew I am the helmsman and the captain just because most my friends dont want the resposibility of steering the ship and getting people to raise the sails. The helmsman should be the person to give out those orders if the crew isnt already on top of things. I usually ask politely for things to happen like when leaving a island "Were leaving, can you guys work the sails?" as i turn the ship. Then again some people will go AFK or just unaware and you have to do it all yourself. Good example of these terrible crew mates is i once joined a random galleon and everyone seemed responsive everyone was talking. good right? We were planning out what we were going to do and they seen a sloop and they went absolute ape s**t and wanted to take them out. I was steering since everyone is usually lazy and we need to take a sharp turn and i ask them to raise the sails in pursuit. They all completely ignored me and all 3 of these goons stood on the front of the ship with their scopes looking at the ship and keeps telling me to turn the boat. Needless to say i was p****d since they werent doing anything so i rammed our ship into the one of the rocks out there and left them to deal with it.

Views
1 out of 25