The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea

• ((THIS IDEA HAS BEEN EDITED BASED ON REPLIES and FURTHER IDEAS BROUGHT UP IN THE THREAD.))

Calypso appears on a server, heralded by a great flash of blue fire that sweeps across the sky and a server-wide storm.

During the storm, each ship on the server comes across a special mermaid glowing with the same unearthly blue light. The mermaid offers the Mark of the Chosen to between 2 and 4 crews,

"The Sea Queen approaches, her power draws near, Are YOU the Chosen to bring tribute most dear?"

As soon as the last Chosen accepts, the storm ends and the event gets underway.

The blue corona of celestial light continues to play across the skies from time to time, reminding everyone of the ongoing event.

The Chosen are marked with a glowing tattoo on their forehead and are rimmed in the blueish glow of the Sea Goddess. Each Chosen is from a different crew.

A message can be heard by the Chosen,

"When all four chosen gather round, Then the Goddess can be found!"

When they are all gathered together, the second flash of blue, along with the Goddess's dark countenance in the sky heralds the arrival of Calypso.

Again, the Chosen hear,

"Calypso is close, her journey is complete, Lay your tribute at her feet."

The Chosen and their crew must find the Sea Goddess on whatever random island she has appeared. Each of the Chosen must give Calypso a treasure in tribute. When all Chosen have, they are immediately transported back to their ship. On the deck before them is a Grand Pearl of Calypso, worth 10-20k when turned in at any of the guilds.

Let the mad chases and fights ensue!

Special Rules

• If the Chosen dies or leaves the game, the mark slips to another member of the same crew. If there are no crew left, it slips to another player on the server.
    • For a more bloodthirsty event, the mark could be transferred to the killer of the Chosen, as long as they don't already have a Chosen on their crew (see next rule).
    • At no point is it possible for more than one Chosen to be on a single crew. This is crucial to the cooperative aspects of the event.
    • Gossip about the Event can be heard from multiple NPCs all over the server. Any chosen who talks to an NPC will be told what's what, in case they don't already know.
    • Calypso sends the Chosen back to their ships in order of most valuable offering. The head start might prove crucial.
    • Once the chosen get within a certain range of Calypso, they can't be killed or release their tribute.
    • The more valuable the offering, the more valuable the pearl.

I think this has huge potential. What do you guys think?

Views
  • interesting idea

• @captain-arcanic Okay, but how about I appear instead :P

• @xcalypt0x for one horrible moment I thought the good captain meant you. Rodl.

I like this idea though.

• @captain-arcanic said in The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea:

Calypso appears on a server, heralded by a great flash of blue fire that sweeps across the sky and a server wide storm. The storm passes, but this blue corona of celestial light continues to play across the skies from time to time, reminding everyone of the ongoing event.

At the same time, four players are marked with a glowing tattoo on their forehead and are rimmed in the blueish glow of the Sea Goddess, and each pirate is from a different crew!

A message can be heard by the Chosen,

"When all four chosen gather round, Then the Goddess can be found!"

When they are all gathered together, a second flash of blue, along with the Goddess's dark countenance in the sky heralds the arrival of Calypso.

Again, the Chosen hear,

"Calypso is close, her journey is complete, Lay your tribute at her feet."

The Chosen, and their pirate brethren must find the Sea Goddess on whatever random island she has appeared. Each of the Chosen must give Calypso a treasure in tribute. When all Chosen have, they are immediately transported back to their ship. On the deck before them is a Grand Pearl of Calypso, worth 10-20k when turned in at any of the guilds.

Let the mad chases and fights ensue!

Special Rules

• If the Chosen dies or leaves the game, the mark slips to another member of the crew. If there are no crew left, it slips to another player on the server.
    • Gossip about the Event can be heard from multiple NPCs all over the server. Any chosen who talks to an NPC will be told what's what, in case they don't already know.
    • Calypso sends the Chosen back to their ships in order of most valuable offering. The head start might prove crucial.
    • Once the chosen get within a certain range of Calypso, they can't be killed or release their tribute.

I think this has huge potential. What do you guys think?

Yes, great idea. With one exception: killing a player with the mark should transfer the mark to the killer.

Reason being: what if one of the marked crews don't want to participate, leaving the rest with no option? What incentive is there to care if you're not one of the marked crews? If you can take the mark by killing the marked, then you can recruit a unmarked crew to take the place of another marked that does not care OR as an unmarked you have a reason to chase down the marked and try to become one of them.

• Loving it!
    The pearl could scale on the initial value of offering?
    Like a multiplier.

• @wilbobaggns said in The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea:

Yes, great idea. With one exception: killing a player with the mark should transfer the mark to the killer.

Reason being: what if one of the marked crews don't want to participate, leaving the rest with no option? What incentive is there to care if you're not one of the marked crews? If you can take the mark by killing the marked, then you can recruit a unmarked crew to take the place of another marked that does not care OR as an unmarked you have a reason to chase down the marked and try to become one of them.

I thought about that, but transferring it to the killer turns the whole event into a bounty hunt, where everyone on the server is after the Chosen. Kinda $ucks for the Chosen, especially if they are noobs. Also, there should never be more than one Chosen per crew, to promote the four crews working together until the end of the event.

How about this? the player and crew don't want the mark, they could do one of two things: All go to the ferry at the same time, or vote to relinquish the mark.

• @ironuzuka Good idea! Even more reason to bring a skull fort chest.

• i support this. although killing a player to take his mark would quickly get exploited by a galleon ship of far better players wanting all 4 of their crew to have it and no one else. if the rewards are decent everyone would want to join in. kinda like everyone wants to take a fort but the likelihood of getting taken out by another ship deters most people from wanting to put in the effort. remove the threat and most would be in i think

• @norloc said in The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea:

i support this. although killing a player to take his mark would quickly get exploited by a galleon ship of far better players wanting all 4 of their crew to have it and no one else. if the rewards are decent everyone would want to join in. kinda like everyone wants to take a fort but the likelihood of getting taken out by another ship deters most people from wanting to put in the effort. remove the threat and most would be in i think

Exactly my thought, and why the One Chosen per crew and No transferring to the killer rules are so important.

• @captain-arcanic

maybe some kind of mechanic too, that would prevent killing off other players once the booty is revealed. or each player with the mark gets a special map that takes them to their assigned treasure

• @norloc said in The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea:

@captain-arcanic

maybe some kind of mechanic too, that would prevent killing off other players once the booty is revealed. or each player with the mark gets a special map that takes them to their assigned treasure

This is where strategy plays a crucial role. Since the chosen gets instantly transported back to their ship with pearl, the rest of the crew can be readying for departure or even underway. Depending on the other crews, this could go a lot of different ways. It's also why the tribute worth, and speed of transporting becomes crucial.

• @captain-arcanic

ahhh i missed that detail

• Would love to see something like this bring us together, and some of the ideas on here about being one of the not chosen crews and killing a marked person in order to become a chosen crew are amazing! I hope they can incorporate this into the game!

• @simplybutta said in The Mark of the Sea Queen - A Real Multi-Crew Idea:

Would love to see something like this bring us together, and some of the ideas on here about being one of the not chosen crews and killing a marked person in order to become a chosen crew are amazing! I hope they can incorporate this into the game!

I can see why people might like the idea. If it WERE to be implemented that way, the one chosen per crew rule would definitely still need to be in effect. Since there aren't a great many ships on a server, it might be worth changing the number of Chosen down to three, or two even. Or perhaps the amount could vary from 2 to 4 per event?

• Alternate Start to Event

During the initial storm, the ship comes across a Mermaid or Merman that OFFERS the Mark. As soon as the last Chosen accepts, the storm ends and the event gets under way.

This solves the "only crews who want to do the event" issue.

Views
1 out of 16