Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2

• @murkrage

''You have until until the 26th of June to purchase the Bone Crusher Hat, Jacket and Dress – priced at 20 Doubloons per item.''

Thats 2 weeks

• @khaleesibot said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@McArcticBiscuit Your post has been deleted as it contained swearing. We do not allow swearing on our Forums, please read the Forum Rules, thank you!

I just wanna see another deckhand swoop in and lock the OP for breaking forum rules 😂

Otherwise sweet patch.

• @moxiesan said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@ve111a I disagree about it being a good PR move. It's best to stay out of anything controversial. I have already seen people swearing explicates that would curl the hair on your head and this will just give people like that another target. I'm not saying one way or the other for myself, but I do think that there will be issues that come out of something like this.

Rare will do what they want with their game though. To be honest, I'd rather see them working on combat mechanics and making other base content in the game such as fishing or even playing cards for those long voyages. So much opportunity not done!

Think about society as a whole and how many times companies all over the world have done this type of more for a positive pr buzz of being an inclusive company and a caring company and loving everyone. At the end of the day its good press for them, It will get tons of news articles (wait and see), and being June this will just be a ton of exposure for them and will bring more people in. Against it or not, From a marketing stand point and that people were complaining on the forums about it it made sense for them. They would rather take the publicity and deal with the few people upset over it and have tons of free press. I don't see it personally as a "we care about you" from Rares POV I see it as, We want more exposure and more sales so lets us what we can to our advantage.

• As I can see this conversation is veering towards being an argument, I will post the Forum Rules here as a reminder of appropriate behaviour on the Forums.

This topic is for discussing the patch notes, if you have feedback or suggestions you'd like us to consider, please remember that:

Spamming, Baiting and Trolling

Posts and threads that are created in order to spam, cause unrest or troll the community will be locked, deleted and the users involved warned.

These actions can be and are not limited to:

• Creating threads, posts and content for the sole purpose of causing unrest
    • Making off topic posts to derail the conversation
    • Excessively using the same phrase, similar phrases, or gibberish
    • Bullying and encouraging users to bully others.

Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Thank you all for keeping to the Pirate Code, for being respectful to each other, and remembering that every person you interact with is a human being.

• @khaleesibot IS IT OUT NOW?

• @freshfreddy1969 Tomorrow :)

• @symbioto said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

I have only one question concerning this update - what is repayable value of this event - I spent 2 weeks to beat the shark because of 5 ppl team, after 2-3 first days it was almost impossible to find enough of ppl to make it.
    And now once again Rare trying to bring two teams together...

I can't imagine how this would have replayability to it. I find it a pretty short sighted way to do this event. I get they want crews to work together, and I'm all for it where it fits. Finding another crew to.... sit on a throne? Seems rather pointless. Hopefully there is some way you'll be rewarded for doing it again...

• @murkrage thank you mate :D

• @marbatico said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@murkrage

''You have until until the 26th of June to purchase the Bone Crusher Hat, Jacket and Dress – priced at 20 Doubloons per item.''

Thats 2 weeks

Couple days short of two weeks. But without nitpicking, I haven't had any trouble completing the Hungering Deep and I have helped plenty of other crews getting it. Just because the vocal ones are shouting it can't be done because people are, well, pirates, doesn't mean there aren't crews out there to help you out.

• @pliskon (Mod edit) right. Every last one

• @murkrage said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@marbatico said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@murkrage

Thats 2 weeks

Couple days short of two weeks. But without nitpicking, I haven't had any trouble completing the Hungering Deep and I have helped plenty of other crews getting it. Just because the vocal ones are shouting it can't be done because people are, well, pirates, doesn't mean there aren't crews out there to help you out.

I get what your saying. I'm just afraid i'll lose my chance at these items because i can't log on for the next 5 days.

• Great stuff yall! I cant wait for all the upcoming events and added stuff in the near future.

• It still amazes me that there are so many [mod edited] who will come online and say things like "putting a rainbow flag in a game is controversial" and look confused when the rest of the developed world just sits there and looks at them funny because it really isn't.

Just because there are people [mod edited] who kick up a fuss when there's even the remote possibility that people may take pride in who they are if who they are happens to be gay, doesn't mean the rest of the world sees this happen.

It's very common in the UK to walk down streets and see rainbow flags flown outside of bars or companies simply showing solidarity. It's not controversial here, nor in fact anywhere in Europe. Maybe some people here forget there are countries outside their own borders with different attitudes than them.

• @ve111a said in [Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2]

I don't see it personally as a "we care about you" from Rares POV I see it as, We want more exposure and more sales so lets us what we can to our advantage.

That's a pretty cynical point of view (which I understand), but if they're like anyone I have ever worked for/with (which you know fully well who that is), it's as genuine as it gets. A lot of gamers (and a lot of developers) have a personal stake in the Pride movement in one way or another, and this is generally one of the most inclusive industries I have ever seen or been a part of. I would also be pretty surprised if we saw more than an article or two briefly mentioning it, as it's not that Rare (namedrop) for companies to do these sorts of things during the month of June. While it may be a PR move for a lot of big corporations who throw a Rainbow filter over their Facebook business page or Twitter account, I find it to be far more genuine support when it's done in the gaming world.

• @marbatico said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@murkrage said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@marbatico said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@murkrage

Thats 2 weeks

I get what your saying. I'm just afraid i'll lose my chance at these items because i can't log on for the next 5 days.

I think you should wait and see what they actually reward. My guess is that you need to do all 10 to be able to afford the hat, jacket and dress. So you'll most likely only have to do 1 or maybe 2 to get your desired set. Assuming you don't want both the jacket and the dress.

• Wait when is this being released? I thought today?

• @thekitchner said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

It still amazes me that there are so many Americans who will come online and say things like "putting a rainbow flag in a game is controversial" and look confused when the rest of the developed world just sits there and looks at them funny because it really isn't.

I think you're missing the point that it's controversial to pick and choose, especially as it relates to.... a video game. The obvious move would of been to introduce a rainbow flag and not mention it being for a cause.

Controversy has nothing to do with the specific cause, but the fact that some causes are deemed more important than others for no other reason besides 'I said so'.

• @cpt-custurd said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

Wait when is this being released? I thought today?

They had a few issues, as was reported over on Twitter, so the update was postponed indefinitely. They would report a new day and time if they had one. They have one now, it's going to be tomorrow. Regular maintenance hours apply.

• @drunkpunk138 said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@ve111a said in [Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2]

I don't see it personally as a "we care about you" from Rares POV I see it as, We want more exposure and more sales so lets us what we can to our advantage.

That's a pretty cynical point of view (which I understand), but if they're like anyone I have ever worked for/with (which you know fully well who that is), it's as genuine as it gets. A lot of gamers (and a lot of developers) have a personal stake in the Pride movement in one way or another, and this is generally one of the most inclusive industries I have ever seen or been a part of. I would also be pretty surprised if we saw more than an article or two briefly mentioning it, as it's not that Rare (namedrop) for companies to do these sorts of things during the month of June. While it may be a PR move for a lot of big corporations who throw a Rainbow filter over their Facebook business page or Twitter account, I find it to be far more genuine support when it's done in the gaming world.

What can I say, You know me well enough to know I'm cynical through and through and think the worst always. If they did if for reasons to make people happy and feel safe then awesome, If they did it for money and great press (all news is good news) Then its par for the course and I don't fault them for it because its a good business decision.

Just because there are people in America who kick up a fuss when there's even the remote possibility that people may take pride in who they are...

Isn't it just ironic how Americans are offended by Pride? Shout from the rooftops about the land of the free...

• Trading doubloons for reputation gain sounds perfect, thanks guys. ❤️

• @thekitchner Nor can you speak for the rest of the world. It's not just an American issue. There are enough people internationally where it is an issue. You're pretty near sighted to think that it's only people in America. I've seen some lads from the UK be some of the most nastiest people I've encountered as well (in other games, I haven't met anyone in the UK yet in SoT). I don't look at people based on religion, sexuality, geographical location, or anything else. I look at people based on how they behave. Every group has people that behave in atrocious ways.

• @murkrage I think it'll be 10 per throne since it said there was a max of 100 from the event and there are a total of 10 thrones.

@murkrage I think it'll be 10 per throne since it said there was a max of 100 from the event and there are a total of 10 thrones.

Completely read over that part. In that case, if you only fancy the dress or jacket together with the hat than you should be okay doing just the solo pirate ones.

• @braxkedren Wow. For once we agree on something.

• @gloog said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

@thekitchner said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

It still amazes me that there are so many Americans who will come online and say things like "putting a rainbow flag in a game is controversial" and look confused when the rest of the developed world just sits there and looks at them funny because it really isn't.

I think you're missing the point that it's controversial to pick and choose, especially as it relates to.... a video game. The obvious move would of been to introduce a rainbow flag and not mention it being for a cause.

Controversy has nothing to do with the specific cause, but the fact that some causes are deemed more important than others for no other reason besides 'I said so'.

It's not controversial to include a rainbow coloured flag at all. There is nothing to "choose" here. Gay people are fine, having a rainbow flag is fine. If gay people want to proudly fly their rainbow flag thats fine. If straight people want to fly it then it's fine.

People who like to say these things are controversial are usually homophobic or too cowardly to condemn those that are homophobic. It's code for "I don't like it so it shouldn't be there" or "I'm too scared to say it's wrong to oppose it's inclusion".

@thekitchner Nor can you speak for the rest of the world. It's not just an American issue. There are enough people internationally where it is an issue. You're pretty near sighted to think that it's only people in America. I've seen some lads from the UK be some of the most nastiest people I've encountered as well (in other games, I haven't met anyone in the UK yet in SoT). I don't look at people based on religion, sexuality, geographical location, or anything else. I look at people based on how they behave. Every group has people that behave in atrocious ways.

Yes, and the idea that gay rights is somehow a controversial subject is pretty much exclusive to America in terms of developed countries.

@gloog said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

It's not controversial to include a rainbow coloured flag at all. There is nothing to "choose" here. Gay people are fine, having a rainbow flag is fine. If gay people want to proudly fly their rainbow flag thats fine. If straight people want to fly it then it's fine.

People who like to say these things are controversial are usually homophobic or too cowardly to condemn those that are homophobic. It's code for "I don't like it so it shouldn't be there" or "I'm too scared to say it's wrong to oppose it's inclusion".

Muslims and POC are persecuted far more where I am from. I want to protect them and represent them in SoT.

• @thekitchner lol, you know nobody said anything about Gay Rights here... Players were expressing a legitimate concern about it painting a target on some people's backs for some groups. Also, go do some research if you really think that America is the only "developed country" to think so. I truly wish we lived in a world where people were not attacked based on whatever views, preferences, or anything else. It's just not like that though. Now, stop attacking America and let's go back to talking about the patch.

• Why Doubloons will not be able to exchange with the reputation of athena?

Is there another way to get the reputation of athena via an event is envisaged?

thanks !

• @djtlite
    Me matey please refrain from posting with profanities. I have removed your post to reflect this. Please be sure to review The Pirate Code for more information.
    We be a family friendly forum :)

Obscene and Vulgar Language
    Swearing is not permitted on the Forums and a profanity filter is in place to block it. Attempts to bypass the profanity filter will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

• @gloog said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.1.2:

The obvious move would of been to introduce a rainbow flag and not mention it being for a cause.

Exactly. They cant say "Were introducing a rainbow flag because Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed."

And then turn around and say "We let everyone give it its own meaning"

.. like come on were not that stupid.

If they would have just said "were introducing a rainbow flag" and left it at that, there would be no problem Tying it to that statement is implying it means more than whatever the community is imagining it to be

Views
1 out of 367