So....... I'm making me a 3D modeled Order of Souls Brazier ;-)

• Been on the road a lot so not much in the way of updates to show. That having been said, I did 'Evil' up the skull a bit and am now printing off a test print to set atop the Brazier :-D

alt text
    More...'Evil' :-D

alt text
    Sitting on the printer as we speak.

• Ahoy @SpecialAdvisor

Awesome work with these builds!
    What scale are you using as it's hard to tell from the images. Also how long does the skull have left to print.

Let me know if you want any advise on smoothing techniques on the filament.

Keen to see the finished product.

• @pikaaroon thanks shipmate!

I usually print tests at about 3-6 inches or so in height/width. Then they end up on a shelf or as magnets on my metal cabinets. I could pop down a seamstress ruler next to them for scale I guess. The whole brazier is about three-four inches tall. The skull is barely a couple inches. This skull took about 4-5 hours on fine settings and finished last night. I’ll pop it off the printer today when I get out to my Man-Cave and post a pic.

While I love 3D modeling and printing, I just don’t have a lot of patience for post processing ;-) that having been said always interested in learning more.

• Agreed @specialadvisor the sanding and cleaning of a build is the least enjoyable part.

So I found it really helpful and time saving when I discovered epoxy resin coating for my builds. Easy sanding for some imperfections and then a light coat of resin to smooth out the print, issue is it can also remove some fine detail.

Thats how I smoothed the 200 Rare doubloons for the studio, because there is no way I was going to sand 200 coins :P haha

• @pikaaroon agree with your agreeing ;-)

I have an unopened box of that epoxy resin stuff from Smooth-On I think...bought...oh...about two years ago! I read something about toxic fumes and tossed it over my shoulder into the "I'll likely never look at this again pile" .....which is frankly...HUGE :-D

I do watch the various videos and such on YouTube about post processing hoping for the magic and easy fix...I've seen the one you mention and another about alternating layers of spray urethane and paint to fill in imperfections. Both were interesting. At the end of the day the 'vast' majority of what I do is small. Mostly small prop replicas, but also Earrings/Jewelry/Cameos/Belt Buckles and such. At those scales epoxy resin and spraying layers would just fill in all my details. Usually when it counts to have real fine details I just dial my Ultimaker 2E+ down to 20 microns and let it run as long as it takes. Not much post-processing needed at those settings! ;-D

Thanks for the info though...as I say always ready to learn!

• Now for that un-fun part. Need to pop the supports off without either breaking his jaw or him needing major dental work! :-D

I'm getting closer and closer to getting an Ultimaker S5...ah to have water soluble supports!

alt text

• Not a great picture...but wanted to show him off anyway. The print turned out quite well...got the supports off without needing to wire his jaw or send him to the dentist. I'll get a better pic here sometime soon :-D

alt text

• @specialadvisor
    Looking good! I'm sure the finished product, is going to be awesome !! :)

• A 'marginally' better photo...gotta put paint on this thing here soon.

alt text

Views
43 out of 44