[Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep

• super disappointing...
    view visuals, one encounter without any useful reward.
    3 items
    no additional contant on the long term
    no legend stuff apart from a dress, not even a shirt... or weapons
    what an update...
    game got nothing added to in this "addon"
    it is sad
    i am sad
    sad story

• @aikidokasan The shark based ones are time-limited I belive... the others are not.

• @khaleesibot

So.. For anyone starting out with this my first recommendation would be gamechat.

Once you gain the speaking trumpet this makes it far easier to approach other crews from a safe distance to find those who are willing to sail with you.

Secondly, pay attention to all the clues in the journals and from the conversations with the barmaids.

Thirdly - you're going to need a LOT of resources. Stock up your ship at every available opportunity to the max.

The quest itself is fairly straightforward if you know the world.

You will need to 'carry' the tune, literally... one crewmate will need to keep playing or pass it on to another crewmate to take over til you get to the location. You can pass the tune between your own crew and another to keep it going.

It's a great encounter, lots of fun and teamwork needed.

We had an absolute blast!

• waste of space HD finally comes out just to find out you can't do it solo and you have to team with other crews but your friends can't join same server as you what kind of pirate game forces you to trust random players save yourself the trouble uninstall and request refund the game should be called RARE LIES cause they have yet to deliver on anything they told us no end game content like they said would be there not a sandbox cause your forced to team up can't play expansion solo so there goes the balance they promised. come on rare dont say one thing and deliver the opposite. your company should of followed the n64 and died years ago no wonder they don't let you spearhead games you just mad me want a PlayStation. just to avoid titles rare works on EMPY PROMISE DEVELOPMENT. should be the name cause the only thing RARE with you guys is honest y

• @braxkedren said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

If you go into a PvP game, for an event where players are going to congregate, don't come to the forums and complain that you had to encounter PvP in the game.

There's a difference between PvP and trolling. PvP is fine. Sitting at an island to kill as many players as possible to purposefully stop them from finishing a timed event is infuriating and in bad taste.

• @koolgoldfinch said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

@braxkedren said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

If you go into a PvP game, for an event where players are going to congregate, don't come to the forums and complain that you had to encounter PvP in the game.

There's a difference between PvP and trolling. PvP is fine. Sitting at an island to kill as many players as possible to purposefully stop them from finishing a timed event is infuriating and in bad taste.

True, I understand that. There isn't a mechanic to stop people from being Trolls. We all knew this would happen though and it serves no purpose to come here and complain about it happening though.

1. Why are there icons of the bilge rats covering every outpost? You know they are there, so what is it's purpose? All it does is cover the islands on the map :( Do appreciate being able to see an outpost at a glance but it doesn't make sense.

2. Why does every bilge rat look the same at each outpost? You went to the trouble of making each outpost and NPC different, but not them?

3. Not sure how I feel about "carrying the tune". Funny at times, but I can see it get annoying.

4. Great job with a patch without a hitch!

5. Can you make it apparent what the time limited things are? This way over the next 2 weeks we can get them.

6. Only 1 tattoo at a time? :(

7. Meg fight was awesome.

• @braxkedren Normally, I'd agree, but "people are jerks" isn't an excuse to leave a loophole in the game for crews to hold content hostage from players unable to get past them. It isn't likely (or, maybe even impossible) that players can hold content hostage in the vanilla game. They can steal your treasure and make you waste time, but you're never blocked from experiencing content and you're not on a timed event.

With HD, everyone has a set course that they need to complete in a set amount of time. Players can, in this model, block weaker players or players who don't have larger crews. This is an issue as some people don't have friends to play with, or they might even have a social anxiety that prevents them from getting on mic or finding crews on discord. I don't think it's fair to exclude those kinds of people, and I believe that it's always better the more inclusive a game can be.

So, yes, while it's not surprising that people are doing this, the possibility of them being able to do so should not have been there in the first place.

@braxkedren Normally, I'd agree, but "people are jerks" isn't an excuse to leave a loophole in the game for crews to hold content hostage from players unable to get past them. It isn't likely (or, maybe even impossible) that players can hold content hostage in the vanilla game. They can steal your treasure and make you waste time, but you're never blocked from experiencing content and you're not on a timed event.

With HD, everyone has a set course that they need to complete in a set amount of time. Players can, in this model, block weaker players or players who don't have larger crews. This is an issue as some people don't have friends to play with, or they might even have a social anxiety that prevents them from getting on mic or finding crews on discord. I don't think it's fair to exclude those kinds of people, and I believe that it's always better the more inclusive a game can be.

So, yes, while it's not surprising that people are doing this, the possibility of them being able to do so should not have been there in the first place.

There's no mechanic to stop them...except possibly using that Speaker in this content to call the server over to kill them. Yes, these kind of players are the worst.

You can't make Shark Bait Cove a "Safe Spot" then people will complain that the ability is there and that Outposts need to be made that way...and so forth. Trying to kill the PvP leads to so many other avenues of actually killing the game as it currently is.

I do agree with you though that Trolls are the worst. I had my share the other night ruining my solo adventures. Hated it so much that I spent the rest of the time I played into my vendetta to make sure they got nothing done as well.

• @braxkedren Cool, so I'm glad we're on the same page about trolls, but for some reason, you seem to be equating trolling in this instance to PvP, and I don't get why.

Firstly, I never said that there was a mechanic to stop players from experiencing content. I said that there was a loophole in how this event is designed that allows for crews to essentially keep players from getting to an island they need to get to in order to complete this event.

I was also not saying that any specific island needed a safe spot or spot where players are invulnerable; Rare already showed how much they don't want that by removing the "Outposts are equal ground" from the pirate code. What I do think would be nice would be limiting PvP for anyone participating in this specific event.

There is no logical reason for players to attack each other during this event (from what I have heard) and the only way someone wins is if everyone they're with wins. So, if there's nothing to gain from fighting other players in the event, why leave that mechanic available at all? It'll only infuriate people who are trying to cooperate, and it will leave in loopholes such as the one I mentioned, which only makes this whole thing harder.

I'm sure some people are masochistic enough to like frustrating experiences, and I'm not saying the quest should be made easier. I'm just trying to say that there's all this needless frustration included for no good reason, and it all could (and should) have been avoided.

@braxkedren Cool, so I'm glad we're on the same page about trolls, but for some reason, you seem to be equating trolling in this instance to PvP, and I don't get why.

Firstly, I never said that there was a mechanic to stop players from experiencing content. I said that there was a loophole in how this event is designed that allows for crews to essentially keep players from getting to an island they need to get to in order to complete this event.

I was also not saying that any specific island needed a safe spot or spot where players are invulnerable; Rare already showed how much they don't want that by removing the "Outposts are equal ground" from the pirate code. What I do think would be nice would be limiting PvP for anyone participating in this specific event.

There is no logical reason for players to attack each other during this event (from what I have heard) and the only way someone wins is if everyone they're with wins. So, if there's nothing to gain from fighting other players in the event, why leave that mechanic available at all? It'll only infuriate people who are trying to cooperate, and it will leave in loopholes such as the one I mentioned, which only makes this whole thing harder.

I'm sure some people are masochistic enough to like frustrating experiences, and I'm not saying the quest should be made easier. I'm just trying to say that there's all this needless frustration included for no good reason, and it all could (and should) have been avoided.

If you take PvP options out of the game for ANY part of the game, you will have this forum in an uproar from those that want "Safe Zones" and those that will bash Rare for making this an option.

Like I said, there is no mechanic available to Rare to stop this that would not be abused as some sort of right they have to a PvE element game. This content is just something else you have to play while working towards the assumption that someone will probably be a jerk and try to mess everything up.

• Ok so that was a fun 2-3 hours. About what I expected. I hear people complaining that it still isn't enough, I am not sure why they thought it would be some giant expansion. The rewards are still few though, the game still does need a lot more clothing options, but overall I was pretty happy with this DLC. The megladon was really cool and scary. More testing needs to happen, but Iwould have liked some form of strategy while fighting it. Like bonus damage if shot in the mouth or eye. And I have not tested using animals as bait yet, but if that works I will be happy I think

• @braxkedren I don't care if the people on this forum complain or not. People will complain anyway, and the forum is a separate experience from the game.

And just because there is no in-game mechanic available to the developers to stop this trolling currently - they're the developers. They can change their game however they wish and add or drop mechanics. Games change and grow. It's why League of Legends constantly changes the way their champions play, or why Overwatch tweaks and balances its heroes. Given enough time, people will find ways you never even thought of to exploit the game and ruin the experience for other players, and when that happens, it's the developer's obligation to remedy the situation, or design around it so it becomes a non-issue.

I don't expect them to patch The Hungering Deep to fix this camping issue, but I do expect them to at least take this into consideration as they're designing the next major content update.

• Anyone else having trouble launching the game? Opening screen appears and then I end up back at my Xbox home screen?

• @badassbosco Sometimes that happened to me. Is it giving you a screen that says "Sea of Thieves took too long to start"? If so, keep trying, and it should hopefully work(?)

I don't know what causes the problem, but it seems to fix itself after the first time it happens.

• I dont understand wath should be the new contend there is a single mission who takes about 2 houers to get it after that ther is again nothing to do for a legend with athens 10.
    So you give a game out with 3 missions who take 300 houers to get them on max lvl, and thats the only thing you can do in this game exept PvP.
    You promised befor the game releast that no Pirat is like the other now everywehre is the same Pirat or ship.
    There are just boring quests (becouse its allways the same the hole 300 houers) and no PvP becouse you never find some players gz to the end game
    I hope this was not the promist conntend becouse it isnt its a funn part for 2 houers but nothing real channging stuff

• @koolgoldfinch it doesn’t say anything, it just goes from the start screen to my home screen and says nothing. I played last night with no issues and now after the update it won’t even start up

• Great fun, I would love more content like this.

• This is EXACTLY what we were hoping for... new content additions that add perm diversive game play, some nice unique and time limited cosmetics.

If the weekly challenges kick in, we'll finally come back and play regularly.

One request: It sounds like after beating the Hungering Deep, you unlock the time limited cosmetics.

Thats great for the first battle, but how about having the HD drop a heart, bone or something that can be turned into a merchant for a nice bounty as a reward for helping making the seas safer for merchant trade?

That fits into the lore well, paves a way for bounties on pve or later pvp, and makes additional encounters always rewarding. (And its pretty easy to do... ;)

• @koolgoldfinch

Good luck trying to argue your point with anyone who supports the PvP aspects.

I agree with your point that the developers should have considered how their game design could be exploited that prevented players from actually completing the event that has been marketed over the last few weeks.

So many other games are setup in that, when you start an event, you're in your own little server/session/world. It is not something uncommon or new the gaming industry. Rare could have made it so that anyone who activated the quest would immediately be put into a TEMPORARY (I put that in caps for all those hardcore PvP players who get upset at the mere mention of having their prey removed from their grasp) session that only included others who activated the quest and removed any possibility of "friendly fire" during the quest. Upon completion, all the players are dropped back into the regular open world.

Such a setup would not be unreasonable as since the purpose of the quest is to go against an AI boss. As others have stated, there is no reason for PvP players to attack those trying to complete the campaign other than to cause grief (and enjoy doing so). If Rare is going to start pushing mini campaigns like this, then they really should consider a campaign session to allow for PvE encounters while doing these special events.

• Ahoy!

We just started playing the Hungering Deep and we found Merick. But due to two hostile ships nearby who were attacking us, we quickly skipped the text Merrick was telling us and got killed in the fight.

So we sailed back to Merick to find out what he was saying, but sadly the quest text that we were looking for was no longer accessible. We tried sailing to Black Sand Atoll, but there was nothing to find. So we went back to an outpost and found out we had to get back to Merick.. We ended up looking it up on a Let's play to find out where we had to go.

This destroyed the immersion of the game and isn't player friendly. I like the fact that we have to discover allot in the game but searching on internet for an quest objective is quite terrible.. :(

• @gareeet said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

This is EXACTLY what we were hoping for... new content additions that add perm diversive game play, some nice unique and time limited cosmetics.

If the weekly challenges kick in, we'll finally come back and play regularly.

One request: It sounds like after beating the Hungering Deep, you unlock the time limited cosmetics.

Thats great for the first battle, but how about having the HD drop a heart, bone or something that can be turned into a merchant for a nice bounty as a reward for helping making the seas safer for merchant trade?

That fits into the lore well, paves a way for bounties on pve or later pvp, and makes additional encounters always rewarding. (And its pretty easy to do... ;)

From the patch notes it sounds like you also can get Scars that are limited to this event as well. Havent seen anyone posting about their new scars yet so waiting to see how those play out.

• I really loved this update! the story and riddles were interesting, Meg (now officially the nickname of Les Sharky-shark) was a fun fight even with 8 people it took a while to bring her down. Good use of the game space that was already there to hid the journals.

• The BIGGEST thing though is that the speaking trumpet needs to have its range increased.

• like 5 times what it is now

• Great update, i never saw a friendly group of this size since the closed Beta sessions.
    Also the speaking trumpet was the perfect addition to coordinate, it was a blast doing the mission and getting a fleet of 3 sloops and a galleon teaming up.

The riddles are a bit tricky, it's not always clear where to find the right spots.

Sadly in the german translation a joke as part of Merricks dialogs doesn't translate well.

• Thank you so much for spending a ton of time developing content that isn't worth repeating.

This is not a new AI threat. A threat is something I don't have to jump through hoops to summon. That is a summoned event. There is no threat, no fear of it attacking without provocation. Just a silly little shark that comes when called.

This was a huge waste of your development teams time. Everyone will kill it exactly once, then immediately realize no content was actually added. This is the stuff you put out as a weekly mission. Not advertise as a big content update.

There is no cash reward (probably smart considering griefers) a free figurehead and a title. Okay you've earned the title and figurehead? Now what? Do it again? Why. Why would anyone repeat it for 0 reward?

Despite how well the developers communicate, their decision making process is flawed at best.

• Why can't you play the drum song after completing the campaign? Stupid gamedesign choice there

• @nobanob

Meg will remain in game after the two week event and will be followed by weekly events in between the larger content updates as outlined in the Content update videos and the article on the website.

1:50

Joe: We've tried to give you a small crafted adventure to go along with it, and that'll be our tactic for introducing new content into the game. With Hungering Deep, we're bringing in a new A.I. threat, we're bringing in a bunch of new tools including the shouting trumpet and the flags system. They're cool because they add to the richness of Sea of Thieves. Every time you play, there will be a chance of encountering the new A.I. threat and experience the new systems. The quest will highlight the stuff we're bringing into the game.

• btw you all better finish your quest today because crews going on this quest will get "rare" very fast?

• Genuinely the most fun I've had playing the game.

The teamwork with other crews made this so much more enjoyable! Please provide more content for teams of 5+ as I'm seeing alot of positive feedback about meeting other filthy pirates on the seas!

The fight was intense and felt like a great accomplishment when we finally put him to the bottom of the ocean!

Great update! Keep up the hard work Rare!

• @thyroidalwall56 absolutely. Nobody is wanting to crew up, nobody is following the rules, or using the new flags and talking horn. It’s saddening to say the least.

• First of all I loved THD, good job really.

My main critisim is that I feel there needed to be random hungering one attacks to give urgency to going through the summoning process. These attacks would be like the kraken, and winning would only chase it off for a while.

This would give players reasons to repeat the encounter to make the seas safe again.

As it stands i felt i only did it because we could, not for any real reason that effects anything.

But thats it. Other than that spot on!

• I think that the dynamics have now changed - it’s palpable - it’s exciting, it’s new, it’s intuitive, it’s unique and it’s something you can feel and hear.

It changes how we move through the game, people. A lot of you are missing some major points entirely.

It’s not ‘an hour’ or ‘an existing artifact’ or ‘a small dlc’ - it is a new way of playing.

99% of people are only worried today about burning through the experience - not thinking about the need for supplies, the tactical and psychological twists that present themselves, the risks, the alliances... everything.

Among all of the tactics and observations we have all made and perfected since launch - all of the complaints stopped for a while in game, peace was achieved. A new way to play is born... and it’s a heckuvalot of fun if you ask me.

And what I’ve witnessed organically, is that people let their guard down, joined up. Experienced it.

Now think... anytime, anywhere - people can be doing different things with different intentions. Always.

Supply runs, shipwrecks, gold, skull or merchant missions - they could be supplying or prepping for a skull fort run - they could be looking to eliminate you as a threat to their treasure on board, or the treasure they’re after - they could be looking to team up for megalodon, but with your guard down could sink and swim.

Any combination of these events are now in play. Many different mechanics, tactics and outcomes.

This is not a small thing - remember this.

• I really enjoyed the hungering deep, but it was very short. I got it done in 4 hours and that was even helping others to build a team. Also, a tattoo option to cover most of the body with tattoos would be nice. I didn't see one that covered most of the body. The ship one got close-ish though.

Views
28 out of 252