[Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep

• I completed the quest riddle thing while on solo. Really enjoyed it. Next day joined a galleon crew to go to shark bait cove. Met two other sloops there where we joined up and killed the megalodon shark thing. Really enjoyed this and cant wait for the next one!

• Completed the riddle while on solo. Really enjoyed the mystery feeling. Next day joined a galleon crew to go to shark bait cove. I usually don't enjoy playing with others. When we arrived we joined up with two other sloops and killed the megalodon. Really cool and can't wait for the next one!

• My wife finally got home last night, and we went in to do HD... here's what we experienced initially:

We pull up the the island to talk to merrick. While we are talking to him, a sloop pulls up behind our ship and blows holes in it. (we were parked south)

While we are talking to merrick and looking at the tattoo options and my wife is still talking to merrick for the story and clues, the jerk comes up behind us and blunderbusses us from behind, killing us both. By the time we are back in, we are at the docks clear across the map, and have to sail back there AGAIN to read the journal on Merrick's island.

We go back, and a galleon of kids on mics is there looking for recruits to kill the Meg... we need to do the whole puzzle part though, so while we are reading the journals, they decide to take all the stock off our ship, and sink it... along with two other sloops starting the quest as well, trying to force us on the hunt with them.

Suggestion: How about if you are in a container or talking to an npc, you can't take damage from another player? Going back to get our drums later, there was yet another jerk just running around the beach killing people trying to start the quest.... we saw him kill another player, and took him when he was pretending to nice waving at us. (We heard the other guy he shot complaining when he was attacked.)

Obviously griefers are going to have a field day with weekly quest events, just to mess with people.

Other than the pvp issues, we REALLY liked the puzzle addition for HD.. its what we hoped to see a LOT of in SOT, kind of like what skyrim has... small stories that play out in a quest.

It was also nice to see some simple ship color schemes available.. maybe add some merchant quests to fetch exotic plants or berries to unlock additional colors?

• German translation sadly totally screwed up :(

We made the Logbook journey yesterday but couldn't really enjoy it cause of the bad translation.

The first logbook has two major errors:
    The hint for the next NPC in english is: "Red haired and fair of face,..."
    The german translation is: "Rote Haare und schneeweiße Haut,..."
    If u translate it back it means "Red hair and snowwhite skin,..." pointing to a completly other NPC so that u will get the last book as the second and standing there with no clue for the real second book.

The hint for the Mapnumber in english is: "The letter needed is one dear to me heart."
    The german translation is: "Der gesuchte Brief liegt mir am Herzen."
    Backtranslated: "The needed Mail is one dear to me heart."
    So they use the wrong meaning of the english word "letter".
    We still had our guesses about the right letter but pretty sure other will not.

Anyway liked the journey and had fun with my Drunken-Dodos-Crew but maybe Rare can put the german translators into the brig for a day or so? ;)

• 1- Megalodon is nice, but the quest is a little messy. We need a menu to read a diary to review anytime the quest books, quest tips, etc. I have lost few phrases because a player kill me before I ended the read. That would be very nice to any quests and events to come since now.

2- I had in my gameplay yesterday a Galleon griefing Merrick place, so we couldn`t properly read the quest instructions and lost some text.

Now a small doubt...
    What is exactly the diary that tell us the megalodon exactly place (T26)? Because as I said I lost some phrases of the quest. I only read the phrase about "infernal ridge"location but that dont means T26 spot.

Thanks!

• @ironrush said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

1- Megalodon is nice, but the quest is a little messy. We need a menu to read a diary to review anytime the quest books, quest tips, etc. I have lost few phrases because a player kill me before I ended the read. That would be very nice to any quests and events to come since now.

2- I had in my gameplay yesterday a Galleon griefing Merrick place, so we couldn`t properly read the quest instructions and lost some text.

Now a small doubt...
    What is exactly the diary that tell us the megalodon exactly place (T26)? Because as I said I lost some phrases of the quest. I only read the phrase about "infernal ridge"location but that dont means T26 spot.

Thanks!

Very similar to our experience last night...griefers trolling people trying to do the quest.
    My wife also had the exact same complaint about the books and hints... you should collect them all to reread the clues along your quest, much like the books in skyrim. By the time we got the drums, we couldn't remember all the hints to the location of where he the meg was located. The challenge should be in unravelling the clues, not writing them down in real life.

• @ironrush "The letter needed is one dear to me heart." Just think about who is Merrik loving most ;)

And if u find the Books in the right order look at the scratches on the booklets for the number.

• Have to say disappointed by the hype for this dlc. The megladon was cool and i can appreciate the art work for the figure head. Again had a good experience working with another galleon crew and a sloop to take it down. But once again sets up a stage for people just to be constantly attacked while trying to just start the quest. It feels disjointed and thrown together quickly. See the bildge rat at the tavern, go see Merrick, read the one journal, go back to Merrick, find the other two journals, go back to Merrick for tune and drum, hope you find other friendly players to assist, manage to keep the tune the whole way to location, and then fight the megladon. Would have flowed much more if you heard the tale from the bildge rat in the tavern, then saw Merrick, then obtain quests to locate the journals\map clues from the journals that populated your radial dial until the final location is found* (which included some new loot or item cosmetics) and on the third journal you received the drum and the tune with the final clue as a grid map you could look at to fight the megladon. While it was fun to do once again the lack of content and items is disappointing. The shark boat cosmetics which were in the alpha should have been available since day one along with the sails and hull. But once more they give us something to spend our gold on instead of leaving it as a possible reward for defeating the megladon. Give us something better like a sword with a shark tooth hilt. Or ripped pants, jacket, shirt, with the shark bite pattern. How about they are made out of shark skin!. I hope the progression on the dlc gets better. But as it stands now you get a break from your merchants grind up to legendary for maybe 2-3hrs then is back to the usual.

• I really enjoyed all the HD quest, start from finish, but I'm wondering if the megalodon stay there and you can summon it back with the tune or something will change? Because I'll hope that when the campain ends you can incounter the megalodon randomly when you're in the open sea.

• Are any of the rewards limited time only? I want to know if I need to buy them now to have them later? I have the drum, trumpet, and the figure head from killing Meg. I want to make sure that the sails, hull, and vendor figure head are staying in the game or should I buy those now? I'm a solo player so I only have around 156k and it takes awhile for me to grind up gold (1-2 hour play time in a session max)

• 🔥spoilers🔥
    4having been following the rumors before the hunger dropped, I stumbled right thru the dlc... i started my sesh yesterday at galleons grave. i met the bilge rat present, and heard his tales. having gotten the destination of shark bait, i set sail to the south west. a short time into the journey, i sailed up to one of the unmarked islands. hoping to see some hostile merfolk, i took a swim... digging the music that haunts the underwater ruins, i swam thru a cave i had explored many times, i found not mutated sailors...violent merfolk, but just some soggy old book. definitely new, but not as exciting as bloodthirsty mutated sailors. i resumed my journey, and soon had the cove before me. i joined merrik at the camp, entertained by the drunkards ramblings, and set about collecting his drenched diaries. rememberring i had found one at that first unmarked stop-off, i headed north to another concealed strip of sand and corals known only to travelled salt-cured meatstrips...after passing the last named spit of rocks, i eased in to that hull-wrecking strip of sands, and found the last of merriks' water-logged ramblings, and mystic angels informed me merrik was willing to share something new with me... so off i embarked. once i heard the unbelievable story, and new tools to try something 'impossible', i set about gatherring enough weary souls to have the smelliest, most despicable drum circle since the greatfully dead g***y travelling band stopped touring the SoT. ne'er have i seen so many vessels gathered without cannon retort... until after that hideous fish had beenbattered and fried with potato wedges... as soon as we knew the fish had deceased, we realized the other scallywags we had propositioned weren't. being hit by stray irons, me mateys' was the target. bah with that says i, "send 'em to the bottom" the captain yells to us, but un-necessarily... the skies exploded when the weak bonds that held our union died...

• @minicus-pryme have you learned time mitigation skills? playing in small time brackets solo is ultra-hard-mode in SoT. it is quicker to earn loot, kill skeletons, dig chests and all in a larger crew. there's a lot to learn from other experienced sailors, and better opportunities for payouts. try sailing in larger crews, you'll get betteras you learn new ways to play, and you'll have enough gold to buy whatever you want...
    also, i think the stuff for sale in the vendor shops will stay available(with small exceptions, everything stays there)they didn't say anything in the shops at this time was time sensitive, so maybe the megaphone, drum, tats, and figurehead rewards are timed

• @xNASHANAx because of this things we need a journal/diary. I like sea of thieves and the game has potential, but the way the things are done seems a little amateur, on rush all the time.

• I see only two negative things about this expansion one is it just creates a place for trollers to camp and two theres no real reward for finishing the campaign no gold no free clothes or ship skins just some clothes that you can now buy that im sure are super expensive. one other flaw is that you have to do this with multiple crews and 9 out of 10 no one will work together and single players are scrued. I like the other add ons to the game cheaper cosmetics and the flag that shows if you wanna be aggressive which is good for single players who meat other players by chance and you want to let them no you mean no harm just passing by. im sure trolls will exploit this but its a step in the right direction.

• @saintsfanx05
    At my current stage of not knowing how the weekend will treat me to know if I will be able to finish the campaign I am actually grateful for the lack of reward. Applying my own personal observations to the entirety of the game(which I admit isn't really proof of anything) I feel like I can't be the only one who could/will have their brief windows of game time be blocked by active pvp around the content or towards the end of the event a lack of interested parties to join in. If this is how they wish to proceed with content I am all for this style of things but I can't help but question it's accessibility. Not everyone can pull an all nighter for a video game as it were. Even with two weeks at best I have one maybe two solid shots to try and complete it. I worry for when weekly things begin. While I don't expect to join in every little thing it seems to be going in a direction that will not line up with my schedule majority of the time.

In the grand scheme of things as a solo player with limited play time this content makes me question if the game is for me or not. While I love the game and have no complaints about it this content really reminded me that my play style is the hard mode and the direction of the game is in crews. While none of this is a surprise it is disappointing to be given an event and find myself struggling to enjoy it. I can either spend my limited window trying to find a server that wants to cooperate or I can just play as if Hungering Deep doesn't exist and actually earn gold and rep. Last night I had the chance to at least get the drum but I still ended my session with zero gains and zero stories to tell as I had no time to do anything else.

Who knows...it will be what it will be.

• What is the distance for the Speaking Trumpet? We had to buddy up next to another ship before they could hear me. Does it use proximity chat, or do you just hold it up to use it with no talk key (I'm on PC using push to talk). As for the content, I felt it was too short, but my team managed to get it done thanks to two other galleons and a couple sloops. Somebody stuck a powder keg behind Merrick and after we all approached him, someone sniped it, sending us all to the Ferry. That wasn't cool. The rest wasn't bad and players were amicable for the most part.

The only really sucky part was when the shark ate our boat and I got killed. I was recording the whole encounter for the community I work on, and I spawned with the galleon so far away, the encounter was over before I got back. Got a good picture of the smirk on the sharks face right before I was claimed by the Ferry tho. Jerk. I'm not much of a PVP'r, so see you all next expansion!

• @khaleesibot
    It was funny to play the first hour. The first encounter was amazing.. the second was pointless, there was no point on do it again. So the game comes to the same stage it was before. Because it do not add something directly to the game.

The megalodon only appears on that same spot and only if we call it. And it's so away of course that it won't interfere with nothing else.

I'm missing some expect mechanics here.. where are those sayings about offerings to travel undisturbed?!
    I was expecting some random appearances around the world (somehow like Kraken does) in which we would need to kill it or at least pacify the beast.
    Hope this change in that direction after the end of the event.

Because that actually adds nothing to the game. There's no point in doing the same campaign or just beat the megalodon again after we beat it the first time. We get nothing for doing it.
    There's no actually players willing to join us so much after they already made it. So there will be some point during this 2 weeks players won't be able to find someone to help them summoning the beast.

Players should have a reward to make them coming back. Not only the first time rewards.

That bilge Rat is just simple lazy work too. The same single character in every outpost?! For what reason?

Seems to me that Devs are feeling so much pressure to add things to the game, that actually aren't thinking things straight...

The trumpet seems to be the unique useful thing added to this patch.

Please rethink this out and make the necessary changes for after this 2 weeks of event. There's no point on having this, as this is, permanent in the game.

• I am a bit conflicted in how I feel about this update. I liked it, yet I didn't.

We had issues towards the beginning. We talked to Merrick but did not pay attention to his words. This caused us trouble in figuring out the first step.

Luckily, there was a friendly pirate who told us we needed to head to the center of shark bait cove in order to find the first journal. This kid was keen to have us team up but he was just looking up the solution on the internet and we wanted to actually experience the quest without a cheat sheet, so we bailed on him.

I really liked the actual quest portion of this. Traveling around to different places and trying to find the trail of breadcrumbs that was left behind was refreshing. I did not like that there was pretty much nothing to fight during this portion or any sort of real challenge. It was fun trying to figure out the riddle but I was hoping there would be things like b***y traps and secret entrances to discover (similar to the entrance to the legend cave). This is something that is missing throughout the entire game..

The ending of the quest chain was a bit of a let down. After reading the last journal you find out that Merrick has been making drums and you need to head back to him in order to get your drum and shanty. If this were real life and I had just gotten the runaround like that I would have been furious. In the game, it feels like a cheap way to fluff up the length of the quest.

And this is pretty much where we called it. We had sailed over to the summoning location and only encountered one pirate crew on the way. I tried using the trumpet but the only response I got back was cannonballs. Luckily, this was one of the worst pirate crews ever so we just sailed in a circle until they decided to leave.

The fact that I could just leave and not fight the big shark is another thing I liked. There was no rush to finish. I did not need to be the first one to kill the shark in order to get something. I did not have to grind it in order to get the most kills. I did not have to be the quickest. I feel like there should be a TON of quests like this throughout the world. Just a fun "adventure" to get new things like shanties, emotes, and cosmetics. No boring grind. Leave the grinding for weekly events.

Lastly, since I have yet to fight the boss I cannot comment on that yet. I will likely wait a few days that way I can see how crew interactions change after the initial rush of folks complete it. I think the idea of having two crews required to summon the shark is a good idea but without permanent mechanics to encourage this in all areas of the game, it will fall flat.

• @xnashanax said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

German translation sadly totally screwed up :(

We made the Logbook journey yesterday but couldn't really enjoy it cause of the bad translation.

The first logbook has two major errors:
    The hint for the next NPC in english is: "Red haired and fair of face,..."
    The german translation is: "Rote Haare und schneeweiße Haut,..."
    If u translate it back it means "Red hair and snowwhite skin,..." pointing to a completly other NPC so that u will get the last book as the second and standing there with no clue for the real second book.

The hint for the Mapnumber in english is: "The letter needed is one dear to me heart."
    The german translation is: "Der gesuchte Brief liegt mir am Herzen."
    Backtranslated: "The needed Mail is one dear to me heart."
    So they use the wrong meaning of the english word "letter".
    We still had our guesses about the right letter but pretty sure other will not.

Anyway liked the journey and had fun with my Drunken-Dodos-Crew but maybe Rare can put the german translators into the brig for a day or so? ;)

When I jumped on last night I met some French guys having trouble with translations as well. They said they would like some assistance (They were on Shark Bait) and I said sure. They went with me as I went along and once we got to where they were stumped we worked together to figure it out (was the island with the cave).

After that we all finished together and got our drums.

So there might be a translation issue with this event that Rare needs to look into. Seen some others posting it as well so hopefully if there is, it gets fixed so all can enjoy.

• I really liked the new update it was awesome but i think that it was a little short me and my mate completed it on the same day it came out. but i loved it and i wait to see more. :)

• @cosmos1255 said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

So, just got done playing this game for the last time ever. I was one of the only ones out of my friend group that was excited for this DLC. There were about five of us that originally played this game when it was first released, 3 who used their free trial on Xbox game pass to download. Another friend and I dropped the initial $60 and were extremely disappointed at the chests, merchant, and skull "missions" that we were offered. On top of that, the only "items" to be purchased were cosmetic changes to the ship, weapons, and clothes. After a week we all stopped playing because of the extreme boredom that set in.

So here is this dlc. The friend and I who wasted our money logged on about an hour and a half ago to play this "campaign". We spent about an hour and fifteen minutes sailing to islands that already existed to spend just under 10 minutes reading the journals left by that drunk idiot. And you need five people to summon the shark? What an L you've taken, Rare. A large L.

I know the "thieves" in this game are supposed to be the pirates, but you all have stolen our money from us. I wish I hadn't bought the downloadable version so I could break my disk in half.

P.S. I wrote this entire entry while sailing between islands. I also played 3 different games on my phone. You shouldn't have that much downtime in a game.

Duely noted.

• We got on our sloop at about 5:30 pm yesterday and completed THD about 10:15pm, so it was great fun! I'm not sure if the underwater cave was new or not, but I would love to find more hidden areas like that! Interacting with the NPCs was one of my favorite parts and I would love if we could incorporate more side quests that involve them. Maybe taking the chalice's to the barkeeps could be an objective or being able to take jewelry/clothing off of a skeleton to sell to the apparel guys. Little additions like these could open up the world a bit more besides just grinding for chests and skulls!

• Word of warning if you have not done quest chain prior to killing shark DO NOT KILL SHARK. I came in and helped a friend and was at the summoning part, after completion I received the figure head, but now I can not complete the quest chain to receive the drums. The drums were the only aspect of this I was actually interested and now I cant get them, despite following the clues and finding the journals. After finding the second journal I return to Merrick and no drums are given. This is a major disappointment and bad form Rare.

• Can we get the shanty (Warsong) added to the normal songs it's amazing to play when sailing around!

• @nessiroj said in [Mega Thread] The Hungering Deep:

Can we get the shanty (Warsong) added to the normal songs it's amazing to play when sailing around!

Yes yes yes!

• Drat it all. Got my drum readily enough solo yesterday morning. Helped a mate get his pretty quick as I’d done the recon. Since then, my luck must be abysmal. I’ve logged about 4 hours so far between yesterday and today in waiting at Shark Bait Cove for other ships to get the magic 5 drums. Closest I’ve gotten to it is 4 across two ships. Back at it again here soon...at least the rum is not gone!

• @thyroidalwall56 Man, that sucks that it went down like that for you. I had the total opposite experience - everyone on the server I was on was helping each other out. Nobody tried to kill each other & everyone was yelling, "Friendly! Friendly!" and would then work together.

Next time you could try leaving the game & going back to a new game - maybe hit a different server?

• Very underwhelming. The trailer was nearly as long as the entire campaign, with 10 times the replayability.

• Ok here's my review/feedback.

Pros:

• Storytelling is always good to have in a game like this!
    • Having all the players centralize to one island in the name of cooperation. Can't say I've seen it done with such success in a PvP game.
    • The drum is cool, having to carry to tune... Awesome! Whoever came up with that, 1st rounds on me.
    • Meg, great job, love the engagement. I truly was surprised by how fun it is to fight her.

Cons:

• Short. Really is that it, a few hours to kill Meg and we are done?
    • I don't really feel special for completing the event. Yes, it was short but still, 6 months, 1 a year, 2 years... Noone will wonder how I single handily killed Meg in an epic duel of wits and strength.
    • Maybe I missed this one... but what happens after the two-week event? does meg just roam the high seas attacking ships (god I hope so)?
    • Troll city. Getting everyone together is awesome, however, the trolls came out in force as well.

The Meat:
    Ok so I had fun, really some of the most fun I've had in SoT. Getting together with a group of random pirates was amazing. Buttttttttt, it only lasted a fleeting hour or so.

So what can you do?
    First, and I know a lot of people have said this so I'll back it. Customisation for beating Meg over and over.
    Make the Hull, Sails, and Figurehead unlockable and not just "shut up and take my gold!". If I knew I had to beat her 10 times just to get the sails, I'd be on the seas rather then on the forums. This would also make us feel special for beating her X number of times in the two weeks.

Make the story longer... and a voyage chain.
    Grab three books and come back.... hmmm seems like a GH voyage to me. You could have turned it into something like an Athena voyage. Go get the books, kill some skellys to get to the drum and speaking horn in the back of some cave and gather 3 chickens.

Make it easy to track the progress. One of my crewmates missed a book (real pirates don't afk), we had no idea what book he missed. This could also be helpful if the quest is longer and players need to log off... HINT HINT HINT!

That all being said, great game guys, keep up the good work and see you on the high seas!

• Lovet the update. Had a great time fighting the Meg. A bit of constructive criticism is that there was no way to track the campaign. I kept trying to go to my inventory to find the commendations I kept unlocking & couldn't find anything. Like others have suggested I would like if we kept a log/journal of everything we've read in journals & conversations we've had with NPCs. This way we can go back & read them along our voyages. The crews I was with didn't care to understand & read the journals. They just wanted them completed so we can start the fight with the Meg. I'm still not exactly sure of all the things Merrick or Tina said to us since we were all going so fast. It would be nice to go back & read the content later. All-in-all awesome encounter definitely makes up for the Kraken. One last thing though make it worth doing multiple times by giving us rewards for our existing trading companies, gold or some kind of souvenir that came traded in for gold. I've seen all kinds of suggestions here & Reddit. I want to fight the Meg with another crew but lack of additional rewards makes it one-trick pony.

• @thyroidalwall56 this is an EXTREMELY rare case, all I've seen is cooperation

• Thanks for making new content. That was great. However, now you have given griefers one more way to ruin other people's enjoyment. The problem with making content that requires collaboration, is that you now have made it even easier for others to wreck it. And with a limited time event, you have made it a race to see who gets it first, so that they are then free to stop others from getting it. Content Denial is a sure fire way to get me to stop playing. And I wish I had a solution for you, I really do. How do you prevent people from being pure a*****s in the game? I don't know. You have no mechanic to help those that are trying to experience the new content against the griefers. Please think of something. Because if I keep getting stopped from experiencing the new content, then I will quit and I won't be the only one. And then you can rename the game to Sea of J*******s.

• Completed the Hungering Deep the other night. I love the concept and the fight. However, I think the respawn behaviour needs to be looked at. I was sailing solo and got asked by a 4 man crew to help summon the beast. Awesome, that's what's the game is all about. I got killed in the first 10 min of the fight and my ship respawned about 25 min sail from the fight. This is not cool. I felt like I was letting my new crewmates down every minute it took me to get back into the fight and contribute. I get the respawn behaviour is good for the skeleton forts, as you don't want to see a ship you just sunk come back 5 min latter. But the Megalodon fight is different, you want people back in the fight as soon as possible. Can the respawn behaviour be adjusted just for the Megalodon fight.

Views
231 out of 252