"The Speaking Trumpet"

• The Speaking Trumpet -

This is one of the newer, (among other), instruments/tools being added in the upcoming DLC. This is used to be "heard from afar" to talk/yell out from your mic apparently, or through the voice menu. Find other crews in the distance to share voyages, pursue enemies, or to micspam until you've become the scourge of the seven seas.

Oh, goodness.

Views
  • I'm so going to rap battle people from my own ship now. Or tell people I'm with the Royal fleet and need to inspect their cargo.

• @ve111a said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

I'm so going to rap battle people from my own ship now. Or tell people I'm with the Royal fleet and need to inspect their cargo.

Combine that with the Lantern Lightbar and micspam "WEEEE WOOOO WEEEE WOOOO."

• lol yea all fun and games until squeakers start screaming racial slurs across the map or you get a mouth breather with background music going

• This'll definitely make it easier to team with sloops when galleons are misbehaving. It'll also be easier to get people with no loot to stop so we can inspect their ships. Looking forward to this addition, despite the potential for annoying toxicity.

• I have not been using the in game chat (either discord or Xbox Party), since it's such a big disadvantage having other crews hear what you are saying on your own ship.

I hope that with the Trumpet, they switch local chat to only be heard among the crew, and that the trumpet becomes the actual mean of talking publicly.

Otherwise, the trumpet's presence will be greatly diminished by people not even being in the game's voice chat to use it in the first place.

• @drunkpunk138 said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

It'll also be easier to get people with no loot to stop so we can inspect their ships.

What are you wasting time trying to inspect on a ship that has no loot?...

• @shuoink said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@drunkpunk138 said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

It'll also be easier to get people with no loot to stop so we can inspect their ships.

Making sure they aren't lying, I would assume. I could definitely see the trumpet reducing the amount of endless chase and battle when you don't even have anything.

• @shuoink said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@drunkpunk138 said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

Can't really tell if a ship has loot or not unless you inspect it? We tend not to sink ships that claim they have no loot and allow us to inspect them to validate their claims. No sense getting in an hour long chase over nothing, some people getting chased realize this.

• @aye-manda-panda said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

lol yea all fun and games until squeakers start screaming racial slurs across the map or you get a mouth breather with background music going

Hopefully there will be a way to mute individual players with this.

• They are going to need a much better way of muting someone if this is true.

• @captsubtext420 said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

They are going to need a much better way of muting someone if this is true.

There will probably be a toggle option for this. Downside, is "not" hearing probably important announcements from others.

• @drunkpunk138 Ye can inspect my ship just fine... from underneath as ye sink to a water grave.

No-one boards the Sloop de Grâce wit'out permission.

• My crew has already started compiling a playlist of ridiculous songs to trumpet as we pull up to a bisy skull fort.

• If you hear "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlan playing as you sink then you know it was me. Sorry

• @awesomecoreusa said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@drunkpunk138 Ye can inspect my ship just fine... from underneath as ye sink to a water grave.

No-one boards the Sloop de Grâce wit'out permission.

• @drunkpunk138 Guess we'll have to settle this on the seas :)

alt text

• @el-dunco said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

If you hear "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlan playing as you sink then you know it was me. Sorry

If I hear that I'll be coming lookin' to sink ye again...

• @el-dunco said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

My crew has already started compiling a playlist of ridiculous songs to trumpet

cue Fantastic Voyage by Coolio.

• @aye-manda-panda said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

lol yea all fun and games until squeakers start screaming racial slurs across the map or you get a mouth breather with background music going

Don't tease me with a fun time now.

• @aye-manda-panda

L**o mouth breather

@drunkpunk138 Guess we'll have to settle this on the seas :)

alt text

See it works because he's got an attack dog called Ve111a that will board and sniff out any treasure, If they don't stop or worse, attack back or insult us then well, You're gonna have a bad time lol. We have been successful with this and doesn't waste both parties time. Honestly if they said "we only got seafarers or castaways" and didn't lie They would still leave with them. Have the ability to use the horn and yell from further to communicate and not have to attempt to shoot myself over will work wonders for both ships lol.

• Im gonna get that dude from Police Academy on my ship!
    Brrrrrrrt beeboop weee wooo

• @ve111a The Sloop de Grâce fears not yer threats. Me gunner sadly does not use the forums (he be on it, but not active in a year), but his gamertag o' ElegantDeath be well earned.

Ye keep watch for founders sails, Sovereign hull an' a Sea Dog figure head. Ye'll go from attack dog to lap dog before ye e'en get close enough to board.

Ye have no jurisdiction o'er me n' mine.

If they don't stop or worse, attack back or insult us then well, You're gonna have a bad time lol. We have been successful with this and doesn't waste both parties time.

I ran into a crew like this during beta. I resisted, they sank me. What they didn't know was that I would come back and find them. They sank me again. I came back again. They sank me again. This repeated 3 or 4 times, and they might have gotten used to the idea and considered it a minor annoyance. Then a storm rose up, a big one, and they sailed into it thinking they'd get rid of their little solo sloop annoyance. ...but they didn't know me. They also probably didn't know that I would drive all the way through that storm, drive my ship head-on into theirs, and then explode a GP barrel under them. So, yeah, I had a bad time. ...but so did they.

@ve111a The Sloop de Grâce fears not yer threats. Me gunner sadly does not use the forums (he be on it, but not active in a year), but his gamertag o' ElegantDeath be well earned.

Ye keep watch for founders sails, Sovereign hull an' a Sea Dog figure head. Ye'll go from attack dog to lap dog before ye e'en get close enough to board.

Ye have no jurisdiction o'er me n' mineaye matey I'd tell ye to look out for our sloop but it would do ye no good. By the time she was upon you it would be too late.;)

@awesomecoreusa said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@ve111a The Sloop de Grâce fears not yer threats. Me gunner sadly does not use the forums (he be on it, but not active in a year), but his gamertag o' ElegantDeath be well earned.

Ye have no jurisdiction o'er me n' mine.

• @ve111a If it takes as long to find yer sloop as it does to decipher yer last post... ye might be right.

• Great I can now taunt my enemies from a safe distance "IS THAT A SHIP YOUR RIDING OR YOUR MOMMA!?"

• @prodigy-burns yo momma's so fat, she can't navigate through Thieves' Haven!

• Yeah this is the problem with a lot of what Rare is trying to do with this game: they don't really take into account what people will do when they can hide behind anonymity.

I see this being horribly abused for awhile unless we get to see the name of whoever's abusing it so we can report/mute them.

• @drunkpunk138

LOL - try to inspect my ship or any ship I be on. I dare ye!

• @merlin-mav-k said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@drunkpunk138

LOL - try to inspect my ship or any ship I be on. I dare ye!

I mean, we inspect em one way or another. Either with permission or while it's sinking. The choice is really up to the captain we are pursuing :) If they have no loot, though, it isn't OFTEN they'll let us inspect, but sometimes they do.

@awesomecoreusa said in "The Speaking Trumpet":

@ve111a If it takes as long to find yer sloop as it does to decipher yer last post... ye might be right.

alt text

Ha! Yeah, that got an actual laugh. See ye on the seas an' we'll discuss the matter further.

• I would imagine it's primary use would be to slightly increase the range of your voice chat to communicate with other crews before someone starts firing cannons off. Or screaming stuff at enemy ships while fighting them. To each their own. I believe the hungering deep aims to add a reason to team up with other crews hence why this is needed.

Views
1 out of 94