Cheaters will be dealt with :-)

• Arrr! Do we git some bounty when we report a hornswaggler? Maybe they should put these bounty contracts in thee game. :p

• @captainnscurvy People would just start mass reporting each other if that was the case.

• @el-dunco said in Cheaters will be dealt with :-):

I got called a "PC player" the other day after sending a pirate to the Ferry and I'm on Xbone :(

I still haven't fully recovered from it.

So funny how upset people get, it seems to be the new excuse for dying.

• @captainnscurvy said in Cheaters will be dealt with :-):

Arrr! Do we git some bounty when we report a hornswaggler? Maybe they should put these bounty contracts in thee game. :p

Honestly I wouldn't mind being able to put a bounty down on players. Make them drop a good chunk of gold on placing the bounty.

When a player with a bounty shows up in your server have them appear on a bounty board in the tavern that you can grab like a voyage. If they log out/server hop the bounty just expires for that instance. Bounty can only be collected by crew holding the "Bounty Voyage" so if you are killed by a random pirate or AI it doesn't count.

If you have a bounty on your head you are notified each time you log into a server so you are aware.

• @el-dunco, it would be nice to be notified with a black mark on your hand.

• @el-dunco A bounty for hunting down people with x-ray vision, auto-aim and/or immortality. What a troll move.

• Want to know who hates cheats more than Xbox players?
    The majority of us PC players.
    Many of us have had to tolerate them for decades and quite often we are all placed into the same category as cheats simply because we choose to own and play on a PC.

Whether cheats are on consoles or on PCs it shouldn't make any difference, cheaters are cheaters bottom line.
    Even though hackers haven't found their way into Xbox One yet, never say it's impossible.
    The 4 minute mile was once deemed as being impossible.

For every new unbreakable lock or safe there is already a way to crack it.

So rather than split up the community into smaller groups (PC v Xbox) we should ban together (pardon the pun) to beat and stop cheats from ruining our game.

I can't stress this enough, video record all of your game sessions.

If the session was clean of cheats simply delete it.
    If you have captured video proof to make your case, by all means upload it to a neutral video host such as YouTube or better yet, a less public one. Something like this https://streamable.com/ . Don't post it here on these forums or it will be deleted.

Send a report ticket to Rare with a link to your uploaded video via this link (below)...
    https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?flash_digest=97b675a1180e9ce9443b44afe3eb74f29742abe2&flash_digest=9e5bca80c36e850587fda59c1bc3a94889174cff

So let's stand as one and get these game wreckers out of SoT rather than turning on each other.

Fair winds and happy sailing. :o)

• InB4 the apocalyptic flood o' "ZOMG BAN7 FUR NUTHIN'!!!!! CARN"T LAWG INZ!!!!! HALP!!!!!" posts.

• @admiral-rrrsole said in Cheaters will be dealt with :-):

Want to know who hates cheats more than Xbox players?
    Many of us have had to tolerate them for decades and quite often we are all placed into the same category as cheats simply because we choose to own and play on a PC.

Whether cheats are on consoles or on PCs it shouldn't make any difference, cheaters are cheaters bottom line.
    Even though hackers haven't found their way into Xbox One yet, never say it's impossible.

So rather than split up the community into smaller groups (PC v Xbox) we should ban together (pardon the pun) to beat and stop cheats from ruining our game.

If you have captured video proof to make your case, by all means upload it to a neutral video host such as YouTube but better yet a less public one. Something like this https://streamable.com/ . Don't post it here on these forums or it will be deleted.

Send a report ticket to Rare with a link to your uploaded video via this link (below)...
    https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?flash_digest=97b675a1180e9ce9443b44afe3eb74f29742abe2&flash_digest=9e5bca80c36e850587fda59c1bc3a94889174cff

So let's stand as one and get these game wreckers out of SoT rather than turning on each other.

HEAR HEAR! hoists grog

That's a nice idea but many people may simple be unaware that they were subject to cheats.
    The guy who shot me from the deck of a moving ship - was he using an aimbot or was he a good shot? The person I couldn't kill - was he invulnerably or did I just miss?
    Then there are the indirect cheats, the people using Chest ESP and stripping all the random loot from the islands before you get there. How would you know you fell foul of that?

What you're saying is great (I'm not disagreeing with you) but it is the responsibility of Rare to stop the cheaters. It shouldn't be up to us, the honest gamers, to have to police the system for them.

• I hate cheaters. I find it hard to understand the mentality required to cheat, but I also hate the 'boys who cry wolf'. I used to play "America's Army" and even some of my own team used to cry cheat a lot, and it really annoyed me when they did. I used to try explain to them that maybe the other player just had better reactions and situational awareness. They even started calling me a cheat occasionally, not because they believed it but because I was playing better than they were, which is partly a compliment but still quite annoying and shows the bitterness behind false accusations. Anyhoo, I like the fact that it was pointed out that "a VERY SMALL proportion that is cheating", which is, I'd wager, a lot smaller than the people that cry wolf.

• @kungfustu72 You do raise valid points that I unfortunately don't have all of the answers to. Perhaps as a community we could brainstorm together?

That's a nice idea but many people may simple be unaware that they were subject to cheats.

I'll go out on a limb by saying, most of our gaming sessions would be free of cheaters. So if you don't suspect foul play (chickens excluded) then you might as well not keep that recording.

The guy who shot me from the deck of a moving ship - was he using an aimbot or was he a good shot? The person I couldn't kill - was he invulnerably or did I just miss?

There's no real way of telling by a single shot. But it's my understanding that the mentality of a cheater usually goes into over-drive with their artificial super powers so they won't stop at killing you just the once. The more they use this advantage the more likely they are to show their cards

Then there are the indirect cheats, the people using Chest ESP and stripping all the random loot from the islands before you get there. How would you know you fell foul of that?

I'm sorry this is where I'm really struggling to find an answer. I know that my regular crew mate(s) and I do a thorough sweep of all islands we land on and we're always scanning the beaches of every island we pass, by eye-glass from the boat. I'm sure that many other crews are the same. You would just have to chalk it up / down to tough luck.

What you're saying is great (I'm not disagreeing with you) but it is the responsibility of Rare to stop the cheaters. It shouldn't be up to us, the honest gamers, to have to police the system for them.

Maybe so, but rather than flood the forums with tears from those who claim to have been violated by cheaters, we can all do our part to help bring these low-life's down sooner.

Back in the NFS days we, the community, worked together to make cheat detection programs such as "Dirty Harry". Then we, the community, did the same for MOHAA. The amount of hacks that flooded that game killed it, making it unplayable, but the community fought back and restored the game to be totally clean for all servers.

Although it may not be considered "our responsibility", how long are we prepared to wait for developers to invest their time into a free utility?

If we decide to sit on our hands and wait for anything in life, a spouse, money, car, house, etc. to fall into our lap then we're still going to be in the same situation or worse, decades into the future.
    Only YOU are in control of your destiny.

Want to know who hates cheats more than Xbox players?

If you have captured video proof to make your case, by all means upload it to a neutral video host such as YouTube or better yet, a less public one. Something like this https://streamable.com/ . Don't post it here on these forums or it will be deleted.

"Wipes tear"

• I’m glad Rare is going to be banning cheaters. Cheating in video games is pointless and shows how terrible the cheater is at games in general.

• Some of you would do well to realize that very few players are PC or console only people. I’ve been a both a console and PC player since the 1980’s. The idea mentioned earlier that most of the complaints are the result of console players being unable to recognize the superior inherent wizardry of PC players is just elitist, PC master-race nonsense. Most of us can afford to participate on both platforms and we have experience recognizing what is and is not possible. Even if the “very low” number of cheaters is half a percent (1 in 200) that would mean there is a high likelihood someone with 10 or more hours of play has at least shared a server with a a player using a hack at least once. I do not think it is unlikely some of those players (such as myself) would bring up that experience here in the forums.

• @hunting-4-fuzzz said in Cheaters will be dealt with :-):

I’m glad Rare is going to be banning cheaters. Cheating in video games is pointless and shows how terrible the cheater is at games in general.

or life in general. cheating and otherwise being disruptive in mp video games is out of hand. i attribute this to the high number of gamers that missed out on what i experienced in the 70's. everyone in the neighborhood got together and competed in all sorts of games, from baseball to board games. if you cheated, or otherwise were a horrible sport, you were relegated to playing barbies with your sisters.
    those years gave me a love for all forms of competition, win or lose. if i was forced to play with god mode hacks i'd lose interest pretty quick.

• You can get XBOX Gold for less than 50.00 a year. With it you get 36 games, xbox news, updates, community news, streams, clubs etc.... It's not like they're charging for nothing.😉

• @ghostpaw I respect what you've posted and taken it on board but I personally don't think that cheaters would even be 0.5% of the game's playerbase.
    We can't possibly have any accurate idea of what that percentage may be without some form of cheat detection software. But as I've said before in a previous post "I would like to think that it is less than 0.01% of actual cheaters". Who knows for sure what it is? Nobody.
    I can't tell you how many hours I have played this game but I'm at 44/41/39/2 and haven't came across anything suspicious that couldn't be diagnosed as latency related.
    That's why I have suggested to get that video footage so you can play it back at half speed to see what really happened within a blink of your eye.

The amount of PC only or Xbox only or players who have both PC and Xbox is irrelevant.
    I wouldn't say "Most of us can afford to participate on both platforms" either. I guess our point of view comes from our current situation and not just location.
    Many who can't afford a PC bought a console for that reason. I have a PC but can't afford to buy a console. If I had the money for an Xbox One I'd buy a graphics card instead. lol Just to be able to play the game at more than my current 20 fps.

Views
87 out of 88