Are Reputation and Gold Values Similar or Equivalent? I May Have Found the Answer.

• I previously posted a question on these forums asking about the reputation / XP gain, per item turned in. Ie: Chest, Skull, Animal ect.

Someone replied that they think the rep earned is directly proportional to gold earned. Obviously higher valued items are worth higher rep, but do the gold values and rep values match up? I set out to find the answer.

I decided to check out this theory and made a video on it. I found that yes, the rep earned is proportional to the gold earned and pretty close to being the same value. This may seem like common sense, but everyone I asked IN-GAME never realized and thought it was an interesting concept.

Does this help you? Do you have other theories on Rep-Gold values? Or, do you hate this idea and think I screwed up my findings? Check it out and let me know what you think. I really appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ESLhkWPPU

Views
    video
  • FYI: I chose to use the Order of Souls faction to test out the theory.

@drglitch , Here is the result of our previous conversation about rep. Thanks for the idea!

• @upstateantnio1z well I’m glad someone is actually doing something to help the community as far as testing out how things work in the game. Only videos I usually see are of players streams, funniest moments or reiterating what we already know by going over the patch notes, etc. I see no one testing anything, until now.

I, along with others, have been suspecting that the amount of gold granted was directly correlated to the amount of rep received. I have since been told otherwise, that all rep values are exclusive to its own devices. For example, a captains chest, no matter what RNG Gold amount you get, will always grant you the same rep for just turning in a captains chest and so on and so forth. I’m on the fence as I tried testing this myself and found that I APPEARED to get the same amount of rep for 2 Captains chests, even though they were differently priced rewards. One was in the mid 900’s and the other one was in the low 600’s. It looked like I received the same amount of rep for both. I would love to hear from other players....

• @solo11volante said in Are Reputation and Gold Values Similar or Equivalent? I May Have Found the Answer.:

I, along with others, have been suspecting that the amount of gold granted was directly correlated to the amount of rep received. I have since been told otherwise, that all rep values are exclusive to its own devices. For example, a captains chest, no matter what RNG Gold amount you get, will always grant you the same rep for just turning in a captains chest and so on and so forth. I’m on the fence as I tried testing this myself and found that I APPEARED to get the same amount of rep for 2 Captains chests, even though they were differently priced rewards. One was in the mid 900’s and the other one was in the low 600’s. It looked like I received the same amount of rep for both. I would love to hear from other players....

My own results are similar to this. I have found that the strong hold chest (one of the items with the largest variance in price) always rewards a similar amount of rep.

• @solo11volante thanks for the encouragement. While my findings are by no means scientific I haven't found anything remotely close to addressing the question.

The values of rep/gold may not be the exact same, but I think it's pretty close. I noticed that a 1,300g villainous skull gave more rep than a 1,000g villainous skull.

That may have been my bias to believe rep/gold was equal value. But, more testing needs to be done to confirm that theory.

• @rattlyfob the way I tested results would need to be improved to verify this theory. The difference in gold value of two chests may be too small to see a difference in reputation value. In other words, "similar" results may look the same because the difference in reputation might be too minimal to notice.

1. What about the Fort skull (?)

2. You said exp gained depends on the level. is this the actual level or is it the level of promotion (that you have purchased).

• Sorry but this is false... Gold does not directly influence your Rep gain rates. The proof is in the Legendary chests. The only thing that matters is the tier of skull/chest/animal you turn in.. nothing else.

• @shovel-guy-556 I haven't looked into skull forts or sunken ships, but the rep amount is still proportional with the gold per item.

Like mosts games, experience % scales. In Sea of Thieves, experience % scales to your reputation level with that particular faction. The lower your reputation level, the higher percent XP you'll receive (with that faction). The higher your reputation level, the lower your percent XP you'll receive.

I am not referring to the voyage level (that you purchase) because the level of voyages only dictate what rewards you receive.

I hope I answered your question.

• @UpstateAntnio1z Yeah but didnt you say in the vid that the villaskull is the most valuable?

• if rep is tied to gold then that is bunk. If u get less rep than another identical activity because of rng then that is some straight up bunk.

• @shovel-guy-556 good point. I hadn't thought of the stronghold skull when I made the vid.

• @marsmayflower gold = rep is just a theory. Some believe each type of item has a specific set xp value. Either way rep coorolates to gold earned. Im just trying to figure it out.

Sea of Thieves is a a very simple game concept. With that said, the gold = xp is a simple xp system for the game. It made sense to me. But, both xp theories are simple.

• @polo147 you're right that the tier of item matters most in regards to rep. That being said, each tier has a gold range value set to it correlating to the rep earned. That's the same idea that is being presented.

• @upstateantnio1z said in Are Reputation and Gold Values Similar or Equivalent? I May Have Found the Answer.:

@rattlyfob the way I tested results would need to be improved to verify this theory. The difference in gold value of two chests may be too small to see a difference in reputation value. In other words, "similar" results may look the same because the difference in reputation might be too minimal to notice.

Well that's why the stronghold stuff is the best, it offers a variance of around 1500 gold.

• @personalc0ffee I'll definitely take a look at it. Thanks for the info.

• @rattlyfob very true!

Views
video
16 out of 17