Family Share issue - resolved by Microsoft

• Right - so to all the people having the Family Share issue (i.e. more than one person sharing the game = crash after fifteen minutes), I've spent the afternoon talking to Microsoft and have some answers.

Basically, the digital policy allows a Microsoft game to be shared with one person. So anybody with a digital copy can share Sea of Thieves with one other person. If you've bought the game and want to play with a 'family' member, you can both play at the same time, from different households.

HOWEVER. If you share the game with more than one, whenever an additional player joins the game it will crash every fifteen minutes. Microsoft says that when a game is shared more than once, a licensing check will recognise the additional player and cause the game to crash. Hence why so many of us are having issues.

In short. Family Share should officially work fine with one other person - if you're still having an issue doing that, set up a ticket. Any more than that, and it'll crash every fifteen minutes or so.

Microsoft have said they're going to try and post some official information about this, to clarify the policy. It would be handy if Rare could do the same on this forum, as I know lots of people on here and Reddit are having issues.

Views
  • @guybrushcrpwood said in Family Share issue - resolved by Microsoft:

Right - so to all the people having the Family Share issue (i.e. more than one person sharing the game = crash after fifteen minutes), I've spent the afternoon talking to Microsoft and have some answers.

Basically, the digital policy allows a Microsoft game to be shared with one person. So anybody with a digital copy can share Sea of Thieves with one other person. If you've bought the game and want to play with a 'family' member, you can both play at the same time, from different households.

HOWEVER. If you share the game with more than one, whenever an additional player joins the game it will crash every fifteen minutes. Microsoft says that when a game is shared more than once, a licensing check will recognise the additional player and cause the game to crash. Hence why so many of us are having issues.

In short. Family Share should officially work fine with one other person - if you're still having an issue doing that, set up a ticket. Any more than that, and it'll crash every fifteen minutes or so.

Microsoft have said they're going to try and post some official information about this, to clarify the policy. It would be handy if Rare could do the same on this forum, as I know lots of people on here and Reddit are having issues.

wouldn't it make more sense to have a developer-handled method for this? i.e., if too many people are connected, kick the oldest one off, but give them a message saying "A user has logged on from a different location." or something similar, rather than ssimply crashing the game lol

• @tahngarthor I think it's MS's inbuilt method of making sure nobody abuses the system, full stop.

I spoke to three different support staff, two of who'm didn't even know you could use Family Share on PC, so there is always the possibility I was just being fed a ruse. But the last one did seem pretty certain at the end.

You could always double check yourself!

• @guybrushcrpwood Some of the support bods at Microsoft are a bit clueless in that they don't even seem sure how Xbox play anywhere is supposed to work.

• @davejc64 The 'Xbox PC' team told me I was in the wrong section ... 'We only deal with consoles'. WHAT.

• @guybrushcrpwood They are experts at fobbing off and giving people the run-around by telling you to contact some other department or other. LOL

• Our problem is that the game crashes every 5-15 minutes even when sharing with only my brother and playing together with him both on PC in the same household. What's odd is that no other family shared games crash for us (Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 7, Gears of War 4, Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, etc.).
    So it is only an issue with Sea of Thieves. If one of us plays shared on the PC and one on the Xbox One X, the game doesn't crash either.

Views
1 out of 7