Your Own Ship

• SoT needs to have something that keeps you interested. Cosmetics will only go so far. Here is a few ideas that my brother and I came up with.

Players need to have their own ship that they can customize. Right now everyone has the same ship that has different skins. Basically it would cost a X amount of gold to become a captain and own your own ship. If people join your ship you get to choose how to split the profits (Within Reason). If your ship sinks then you have to pay a wreckage fee to have your ship restored. If you do not have the money to get your ship back then you have to join another crew or play quick play (Which is how you play now).

As of right now, no one takes pride in their ship. They will go into battle just to do it. If you actually had to work for your ship. You might think twice about fighting another ship.

Views
  • @cmtahm I'm pretty sure ship captaincy Is coming dude who knows maybe in the first content update !

• @T377Y I would think so, but I figured I would post about it anyway.

• @cmtahm so agree with you tho dude it means nothing If you loose your ship just costs you a tiny bit of time it needs to hurt more if your ship goes down I like the idea of being shamed for a short period of time like maybe stuck with some sort of looser skin so its more humiliating when you show up to the same fight for the 6th time only to get sunk again

• @t377y Yes, I agree!... That also reminds me about mermaids..... If you fall off your ship a mermaid should not spawn so quickly. It should take a good 3-5 Minutes for that mermaid to spawn. So, if you are going to jump off the back of the ship to board or hurt another ship then you better make sure you do it right. That way a crew has to decide if its worth going back to get you or leave you for the time.

• @cmtahm hell yes battles are nearly always won buy boarding. most fights are just both teams trying to board takes away form the epic ship battles that could be had, maybe you have to summon a mermaid and the summon has a cool down time of 3-5 minuets so if you fall of voyaging your not screwed

• @t377y FOR SURE! You never get to enjoy a real ship battle. You cannot just pursue someone because they will just keep jumping off with gunpowder barrels, spawn back, rinse and repeat.... It get quite annoying. If there are multiple ships. You spend all your time staring at the water than anything else.... I like the idea of summoning a mermaid that has a cool down timer.

• @cmtahm I really think the mermaid thing would help with the crossplatform play problem if the battles were mainly done with the ships and not boarding then p.c would have no advantage everyone gets so mad because the only real way to win is boarding and that's when p.c has the advantage if it was harder to board then it wouldn't be up close blunderbuss fights to win it will be proper ship control and teamwork ! I like ur views dude we should sail some time, I'm grinding legend quests tho so not the best xp my gt is the same as my forum name

• The mermaid on a timer isn’t a bad idea. Sometimes it feels like an eternity for the mermaid to spawn currently, especially if your ship doesn’t get far enough out of range fast enough. Having a 3 min timer or so, but then “instant” spawning a mermaid wouldn’t be too bad.

It would be cool to have more customizations towards a more personalized ship. I think there’s been a lot of talk from the players that it’s something they want. I have mixed feelings about people being charged gold though for respawning their ship. I could see both sides of the argument. If a player was being griefed by the same crew repeatedly, that would be a real shame that they had to keep paying gold over and over and may turn some people off from the game. On the other hand, at this point there really are no consequences to losing a ship besides the lost resources. But, do we really want consequences for engaging in PvP? Would that deter people from PvP and arguably take away a core mechanic of the game play?

One point I do not agree with, is the captain choosing the % of profits that some players receive. If that were the case, who WOULDNT just be their own captain? I think it would take away from the matchmaking in general.

I think that if there were just a ton of different cosmetic changes that could be made, and people had to pay to upgrade each and every one of them, that would give people something to work towards. The amount of things that could be changed on the ships is unbelievable.

Cannon colors / Patterns / Styles
    Sail Main colors / Background colors / Foreground colors / Emblems
    Masts
    Ladders
    Steering wheels
    Stairs
    Railings
    Bowsprit
    Anchors
    Rigging
    Figureheads
    Floors / walls
    Light colors
    Map table
    Armoury Box / Ammo Box
    Resource Container Colors
    Emblems on the sides of ships

Re-arranging placement of some times and/or adding additional cosmetics to captains quarters.

• @daddy-sanctus what if when you scuttle the ship or you sink you get the option at the mermaid to spawn the free ship that you get now (costs nothing) or the ship you own (fee for respawn) ?

• @daddy-sanctus also I'm with you on the % unfortunately that would be so abused I do like the idea but it would take away from the everyone being equal and imagine being on a crew doing all the work and getting the smallest cut just because your not friends with the crew

• @t377y said in Your Own Ship:

@daddy-sanctus what if when you scuttle the ship or you sink you get the option at the mermaid to spawn the free ship that you get now (costs nothing) or the ship you own (fee for respawn) ?

Now, I could see a fee for scuttling your ship, that could work. But again, what if you’re being spawn killed repeatedly by a group of trolls who won’t let your ship sink? Is it fair for that player to have to pay a fee do those other players?

The idea of having to pay for your own customized ship may work. If there was a timer in place, let’s say 10-15 min, where you had to either PAY for your own ship, or spawn in a plain jane ship for free. One could argue though that the players may have already spent 100’s of thousands of gold on their ships to begin with. It’s tough to really stand on either side of the argument for me.

• @t377y said in Your Own Ship:

@cmtahm I'm pretty sure ship captaincy Is coming dude who knows maybe in the first content update !

Ship captaincy and pets were two things that were going to come shortly after launch but were put on the back burner when the new content roadmap came out, due to the high amount of feedback regarding lack of content. It will probably still happen eventually, but probably not in the first year

• @rockinpodunk yeah there has been no confirmation on when, I would only like it to come out soon if it was accompanied by more content

• On the whole boarding issue, all they have to do is fix the blunderbuss inconsistency and attempting to board will die fast, 3-5 minutes for mermaids is a lot longer than you think, and it goes based on distance, hence why they auto spawn if you launch yourself from a cannon, at least that's what I think it is...

I like the idea of captaining and maintaining a personal ship, but people are already complaining about griefers, imagine how tempting it would be to sink someone using a personal ship over and over if you were intending to grief... Great idea, but the toxic neighbourhood of this community will harass the hell out of those of us who just wanna play

• @cmtahm yeah trolls will love it ! join your crew , sink your ship and then leave game knowing that you ll have to pay to get it back..
    Did you think about it?

• @princeps-pirata they will have private crew option before ship captaincy problem solved ?

• @t377y just like GTA 5

• @cmtahm said in Your Own Ship:

SoT needs to have something that keeps you interested. Cosmetics will only go so far. Here is a few ideas that my brother and I came up with.

Players need to have their own ship that they can customize. Right now everyone has the same ship that has different skins. Basically it would cost a X amount of gold to become a captain and own your own ship. If people join your ship you get to choose how to split the profits (Within Reason). If your ship sinks then you have to pay a wreckage fee to have your ship restored. If you do not have the money to get your ship back then you have to join another crew or play quick play (Which is how you play now).

As of right now, no one takes pride in their ship. They will go into battle just to do it. If you actually had to work for your ship. You might think twice about fighting another ship.

...I honestly want to see "fleets". Restrict it to Pirate Legend and have a "fleet" docked at your hideout. Maybe start with one ship upon attaining legend. This will be your base ship. Choose the base hull (Sloop or Galleon, hoping they add a Brig) and whatever cosmetics you already have.

Allow extra ships to be BUILT using parts scavenged from shipwrecks and PvP wins, or (lesser pieces?) bought from the shipwright. Maybe add or subtract different characteristics to make it distinct from either hull type with attributes and size derived from the various components.

This could also allow you to stay on one server and swap from smaller to larger vessels and back again, or have them split between the crew for an apparent larger presence at the cost of less crew per ship. These "extra" ships would have to be replaced via the same method. If they sink and are not your base ship, they are gone and you would need to build more to replace them.

• @t377y There will be a private crew -invite only mode yes devs confirmed that.
    this is another story, the game has random matchmaking system.
    i play only with ppl i know from a small discord community but many users play with randoms so..no your own ship is not a good idea.
    i dont say its a bad one .hell yeah i want a ship of my own to name it put my skins ,my flag, love it ,wash it,my baby but the game mechanics forbid it..

• Retractable ladders would solve the boarding issue. But have them "unroll" on a Cannon hit. So a crew must remember to roll them back up again.

• @princeps-pirata said in Your Own Ship:

@t377y There will be a private crew -invite only mode yes devs confirmed that.
    this is another story, the game has random matchmaking system.
    i play only with ppl i know from a small discord community but many users play with randoms so..no your own ship is not a good idea.
    i dont say its a bad one .hell yeah i want a ship of my own to name it put my skins ,my flag, love it ,wash it,my baby but the game mechanics forbid it..

The mechanics don’t forbid it. There is always a way to fix the problem. Just have to find it.

• @mmountain I like the idea, but then you would never be able to board someones ship. There has to be a balance between it being too easy or too hard

• @daddy-sanctus said in Your Own Ship:

The mermaid on a timer isn’t a bad idea. Sometimes it feels like an eternity for the mermaid to spawn currently, especially if your ship doesn’t get far enough out of range fast enough. Having a 3 min timer or so, but then “instant” spawning a mermaid wouldn’t be too bad.

It would be cool to have more customizations towards a more personalized ship. I think there’s been a lot of talk from the players that it’s something they want. I have mixed feelings about people being charged gold though for respawning their ship. I could see both sides of the argument. If a player was being griefed by the same crew repeatedly, that would be a real shame that they had to keep paying gold over and over and may turn some people off from the game. On the other hand, at this point there really are no consequences to losing a ship besides the lost resources. But, do we really want consequences for engaging in PvP? Would that deter people from PvP and arguably take away a core mechanic of the game play?

One point I do not agree with, is the captain choosing the % of profits that some players receive. If that were the case, who WOULDNT just be their own captain? I think it would take away from the matchmaking in general.

I think that if there were just a ton of different cosmetic changes that could be made, and people had to pay to upgrade each and every one of them, that would give people something to work towards. The amount of things that could be changed on the ships is unbelievable.

Cannon colors / Patterns / Styles
    Sail Main colors / Background colors / Foreground colors / Emblems
    Masts
    Ladders
    Steering wheels
    Stairs
    Railings
    Bowsprit
    Anchors
    Rigging
    Figureheads
    Floors / walls
    Light colors
    Map table
    Armoury Box / Ammo Box
    Resource Container Colors
    Emblems on the sides of ships

Re-arranging placement of some times and/or adding additional cosmetics to captains quarters.

Yeah, the captain choosing the payout was just an idea i threw in there. I could go either way on it. I do agree with everything you said

Views
1 out of 24