Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal

• @lotrmith Ok I'm done with you, you clearly don't understand the purpose of 'feedback'... and you want to keep the game static purely out of stubbornness.

And they are not irreconcilable. Mike chapman himself said: 'We believe in the paranoia of having that stuff on the ship because you know that someone can come and take it.'

Do you honestly think the paranoia is going to go just because you got a bonus reward early? No. Get a grip, please. Last time I'll reply to you because this isn't constructive and you are too close-minded.

• @lotrmith said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@touchdown1504 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith Stronger "evidence" you mean like the evidence you like to give? Made up nonsense. @lotrmith said "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Yes, I dismissed that. Because that "evidence" does not exist. It is a flat out lie, as we have gone over a few times now. And yes it is often I dismiss much of what you say, because your earliest comments are both arrogant and condescending. Its not so much what you write I am dismissing, but you, yourself in general. Does that make better sense? why does it matter to you anyway? Apparently what anyone says in support of a change is wrong "based in emotion" and not fact (like your facts!) Bro, you can't fix this. Well, I guess you can go back and edit your "opinion". Anyhow, just a suggestion...

I am now back on topic. The rewards system blows, I believe it needs some change!

I mean, it is a matter of fact that your opinion on the state of when loot rewards should be given is directly contrary to that of the developers, both in outright statement and in implementation both current and since launch.

• We've made decisions where all quest rewards are physical, and all of that stuff is never truly yours until you get back to the outpost. We believe in the paranoia of having that stuff on the ship because you know that someone can come and take it.

That still doesn't explain...

@lotrmith said "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Nor does it explain why you actually believe nobody sees this...and realizes you are either trolling, honestly believe the BS flowing from your mouth, or simply just like to "win" an argument at any cost, even if that includes lying. Do you not get you have no credibility in this discussion now? You did that to yourself.

Yes, my opinion is in contrast to what the developers have put in place. NO S**T!!! Why do you think we are having this discussion? If I agreed with the system there would be nothing to discuss. You aren't all there are you? Dude, I am done. I am all out of Troll chow, sorry.

• @lotrmith said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@graiis said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

• We've made decisions where all quest rewards are physical, and all of that stuff is never truly yours until you get back to the outpost. We believe in the paranoia of having that stuff on the ship because you know that someone can come and take it.

Literally everyone in this thread arguing for and against the new rewards right now is aware of this sentiment and agrees with it. We don't want to break the system. We just want to be more encouraged to engage in all the games systems, actually finishing voyages, reasons to PvP, fighting skeletons that aren't captains, etc, without it being a completely all or nothing endevor. The Division had big complaints with the dark zone and had to do major overhauls, and it's not even the only option to play and gain loot. Pve only servers are a really bad idea, and would kill the game completely, so we're just looking for a good middle ground. I think the belief that adding rep reward on VC would encourage a more varied playstyle is a fair one, and hasnt really been explored by any detractors.

Agreeing with that statement and not wanting loot to be all or nothing are two irreconcilable stances. The idea is that all of the reward, all of the rep and gold, is physically manifest in the individual pieces of loot and you get none of it without making it back to an outpost and handing it in. Adding in any kind of bonus either upon discovery or voyage completion that is not physically manifest in the piece of loot itself and able to be completely lost to another crew is directly contrary to that statement.

It's not irreconcilable, the devs telling us what they are going for doesn't make it a hard Boolean. If that's true, then we better tell the devs to remove the commendations and titles, they went against their own design statements. And it's easy to say what you're going for and then see in practice it isn't as great as you thought it would work, there's no reason to think the devs might not budge on all and it can be changed to most if they think smoothing out the experience some will make it more fun overall.
    And I know the response to that is going to be, most of those are also for turn ins and the rep is minimal. My response to that is, not all though and why does it even exist at all if noone cares and it can be dismissed out of hand by anyone who brings it up? Make use of the dang systems you have in the game!! Even the commendations could replace the (perceived) need for additional rewards, there's no reason why things like turning in a friggin 1000 of an item shouldn't reward your time accordingly, it's almost more insulting to get a blip of rep than nothing.

• @graiis said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@graiis said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

it's almost more insulting to get a blip of rep than nothing.

Never has there been a more true statement. I hadn't thought on that LOL. I almost would rather get nothing. So demotivating when the rep bar moves so small, I have to ask myself "Did that give me rep, or was I seeing things?"

• @touchdown1504 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@touchdown1504 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith Stronger "evidence" you mean like the evidence you like to give? Made up nonsense. @lotrmith said "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Yes, I dismissed that. Because that "evidence" does not exist. It is a flat out lie, as we have gone over a few times now. And yes it is often I dismiss much of what you say, because your earliest comments are both arrogant and condescending. Its not so much what you write I am dismissing, but you, yourself in general. Does that make better sense? why does it matter to you anyway? Apparently what anyone says in support of a change is wrong "based in emotion" and not fact (like your facts!) Bro, you can't fix this. Well, I guess you can go back and edit your "opinion". Anyhow, just a suggestion...

I am now back on topic. The rewards system blows, I believe it needs some change!

I mean, it is a matter of fact that your opinion on the state of when loot rewards should be given is directly contrary to that of the developers, both in outright statement and in implementation both current and since launch.

@lotrmith said "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Nor does it explain why you actually believe nobody sees this...and realizes you are either trolling, honestly believe the BS flowing from your mouth, or simply just like to "win" an argument at any cost, even if that includes lying. Do you not get you have no credibility in this discussion now? You did that to yourself.

Yes, my opinion is in contrast to what the developers have put in place. NO S**T!!! Why do you think we are having this discussion? If I agreed with the system there would be nothing to discuss. You aren't all there are you? Dude, I am done. I am all out of Troll chow, sorry.

You seem emotionally imbalanced.

• @angrycoconut16 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith Ok I'm done with you, you clearly don't understand the purpose of 'feedback'... and you want to keep the game static purely out of stubbornness.

And they are not irreconcilable. Mike chapman himself said: 'We believe in the paranoia of having that stuff on the ship because you know that someone can come and take it.'

Do you honestly think the paranoia is going to go just because you got a bonus reward early? No. Get a grip, please. Last time I'll reply to you because this isn't constructive and you are too close-minded.

I guess thoroughly enjoying the game the way it is and not agreeing with you equates to stubbornness. Great argument.

• @lotrmith I can't remember if it was you that suggested the rep go into the voyage map that is on the captains table and you could lose that on sink and have it be retrievable by all parties, but if all rewards being physical is a hard line, I'd rather have that than the nothing currently. I'm looking to find ideas that will satisfy the most people. Personally I don't care to relieve loss, I'm pushing for exploration and max use of the systems we have.

• @graiis said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith I can't remember if it was you that suggested the rep go into the voyage map that is on the captains table and you could lose that on sink and have it be retrievable by all parties, but if all rewards being physical is a hard line, I'd rather have that than the nothing currently. I'm looking to find ideas that will satisfy the most people. Personally I don't care to relieve loss, I'm pushing for exploration and max use of the systems we have.

Yes, that was my suggestion (since refined to believing all quest should be structured like Legendary Quests and have a final chapter where you dig up the piece of unique bonus loot). The principal difference between that and other suggestions is that the bonus remains stealable (just like an Athena Chest is currently stealable). It incentivizes finishing whole voyages but does not satisfy the people who want a participation trophy.

• @lotrmith You thoroughly enjoy the game? Fantastic. But this won't effect your experience negatively in the slightest. Thanks for your contribution and voicing your concern however.

I am honest, I have that going for me. How does that lying bit work for you?

• @angrycoconut16 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@lotrmith You thoroughly enjoy the game? Fantastic. But this won't effect your experience negatively in the slightest. Thanks for your contribution and voicing your concern however.

I'm not the only one who has expressed how it would, but thanks for ignoring us!

• @lotrmith And thanks for ignoring our replies to your concerns!

• @touchdown1504 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

If it were imbalanced, you would see a steady decline in the number of players who engage in PvP, until there were no PvPers left (the lever falls off the fulcrum). As it stands, there is enough incentive to PvP that a fair number of people continue to engage in it. I can see this frim my extensive experience playing on a regular basis. Has your limited experience shown you differently? Do you no longer fear the seas, because all the PvPers have left? This thread is evidence otherwise. You fear PvPers so much that you want to get rewarded up front because you fear being sunk.

If it were imbalanced, you would see a steady decline in the number of players who engage in PvP, until there were no PvPers left (the lever falls off the fulcrum). As it stands, there is enough incentive to PvP that a fair number of people continue to engage in it. I can see this frim my extensive experience playing on a regular basis. Has your limited experience shown you differently? Do you no longer fear the seas, because all the PvPers have left? This thread is evidence otherwise. You fear PvPers so much that you want to get rewarded up front because you fear being sunk.

Now that...that is some quality trolling there! I fear being sunk? By PvP players, did you not just quote my thread a few posts ago explaining what I have the most fun doing?

I can't tell you if PvP is in decline. I can't tell you if the player base as a whole is in decline. Who knows, maybe it is on the rise? I know this, here you are stating "facts" yet again, like you know it all. You haven't read or paid attention to anything in this thread. you jumped in on the tail end, and started talking out of the side of your mouth.

This discussion as a whole is about the rewards system in general. It didn't start that way, but it certainly became that. PvP and PvE are a factor, but they are not the focus. As a matter of fact nearly everybody in here, myself very loudly on several occasions, feel there should be awards for PvP as well.

Did you not tell me a few posts ago, to try to weasel out of the lie you were caught in, that "It feels balanced" Now you are again saying, in a matter of fact manner, that it is balanced. Credibility...not sure you have much more to lose.

• @angrycoconut16 I know you aren't surprised LOL. Don't sweat it, Keyboard warriors will ignore anything that doesn't fit in their neat little agenda. Lets get this thing back to where we were.

So... You think Hungering Deep will see something that satisfies the desire for better reputation earning?

• @touchdown1504 To be 100% honest, I am both excited for and worried about the hungering deep. I worry it could make the problem worse. Obviously we have no idea what form the AI threat will take yet, but if Rare expect people to work together to defeat it, and then fight over the loot (assuming there is loot, otherwise it's a bit anticlimactic) then there will be chaos and this issue will be even more important. I think the fundamental thing Rare need to realise is that many players don't like the experience of losing 100% of everything, by all means introduce the element of loss, risk and competition, but there should always be a baseline...

For instance, if this boss does award loot, everyone should receive a certain level of rep (or certain level of reward..), then by all means let the rest by fought over. But anyway, this is a pointless discussion if it will award nothing like the Kraken, lets wait and see what the patch will bring!

Now that...that is some quality trolling there! I fear being sunk? By PvP players, did you not just quote my thread a few posts ago explaining what I have the most fun doing?

I can't tell you if PvP is in decline. I can't tell you if the player base as a whole is in decline. Who knows, maybe it is on the rise? I know this, here you are stating "facts" yet again, like you know it all. You haven't read or paid attention to anything in this thread. you jumped in on the tail end, and started talking out of the side of your mouth.

This discussion as a whole is about the rewards system in general. It didn't start that way, but it certainly became that. PvP and PvE are a factor, but they are not the focus. As a matter of fact nearly everybody in here, myself very loudly on several occasions, feel there should be awards for PvP as well.

Did you not tell me a few posts ago, to try to weasel out of the lie you were caught in, that "It feels balanced" Now you are again saying, in a matter of fact manner, that it is balanced. Credibility...not sure you have much more to lose.

You won't accept it as fact or opinion, so what does it matter? I thought you were tired of ranting.

• It's getting real constructive around here

@touchdown1504 To be 100% honest, I am both excited for and worried about the hungering deep. I worry it could make the problem worse. Obviously we have no idea what form the AI threat will take yet, but if Rare expect people to work together to defeat it, and then fight over the loot (assuming there is loot, otherwise it's a bit anticlimactic) then there will be chaos and this issue will be even more important. I think the fundamental thing Rare need to realise is that many players don't like the experience of losing 100% of everything, by all means introduce the element of loss, risk and competition, but there should always be a baseline...

For instance, if this boss does award loot, everyone should receive a certain level of rep (or certain level of reward..), then by all means let the rest by fought over. But anyway, this is a pointless discussion if it will award nothing like the Kraken, lets wait and see what the patch will bring!

Well, I know they did say (watch the roadmap video) that "new" ways to earn reputation are coming. That can mean a great deal of many things and would be only speculation (unless @lotrmith has some insider lies errr info he wants to share). They mentioned the Skeletons on their throne events, but did not tie that directly to reputation. If I had to guess, we can expect another faction of merchant. My fingers are crossed it is something other than fetch quests...we shall see.

@angrycoconut16 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@touchdown1504 To be 100% honest, I am both excited for and worried about the hungering deep. I worry it could make the problem worse. Obviously we have no idea what form the AI threat will take yet, but if Rare expect people to work together to defeat it, and then fight over the loot (assuming there is loot, otherwise it's a bit anticlimactic) then there will be chaos and this issue will be even more important. I think the fundamental thing Rare need to realise is that many players don't like the experience of losing 100% of everything, by all means introduce the element of loss, risk and competition, but there should always be a baseline...

Well, I know they did say (watch the roadmap video) that "new" ways to earn reputation are coming. That can mean a great deal of many things and would be only speculation (unless @lotrmith has some insider lies errr info he wants to share). They mentioned the Skeletons on their throne events, but did not tie that directly to reputation. If I had to guess, we can expect another faction of merchant. My fingers are crossed it is something other than fetch quests...we shall see.

My fanboy who has no time for me just can't get enough of me.

• @lotrmith Oh you finally noticed, I know you can't see but I am blushing. Since we are on speaking terms again...

Can you tell me what you meant by... "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Come on...it was error in judgement right? Maybe forgot to turn it into an "opinion"?

@lotrmith Oh you finally noticed, I know you can't see but I am blushing. Since we are on speaking terms again...

Can you tell me what you meant by... "Currently in Sea of Thieves, there are a balanced number of predators (PvPers) vs prey (PvEers)."

Come on...it was error in judgement right? Maybe forgot to turn it into an "opinion"?

I've presented it as both but we both know you can't provide a sound argument against either.

I don't have the patience or the crayons to explain it to you any simpler. You can't even distinguish between an opinion and a fact without the words 'think' or 'feel'.

• Agree that it would be a nice addition.

To those that argue - it's not complete until you hand in proof - then why does it display 'Voyage complete' as soon as you complete the objective (and not when the resulting items are handed in)?

It's a game, and games have strange otherworldy mechanics - such as quest givers having amazing powers to know when quests are complete. I'm sure they can magic a few gold coins into your pocket at the same time.

• @lotrmith as per the Forum Rules we all must remain respectful towards all other community members when posting on the forums. Failure to remain respectful of all community members will result in a temporary ban from the forums.

Please read and abide by the forum rules going forward.

Thanks!

• @touchdown1504 You have tried often to characterize my posts as though they, somehow, violate the forum rules. It's an interesting tactic, but redefining what derailing means, along with the other ways you've tried this, doesn't work. If you feel like I'm derailing the thread, feel free to report it and a moderator can decide. I'm all for being checked if I've done it.

If it appears like we're beating a dead horse, it's only because you, @AngryCoconut16 , and others have swept a dead horse under the rug and it's stinking up your idea. We're just trying to call your attention to it.

• @AngryCoconut16 A large part of this discussion has been dedicated to this notion that player's are losing 100% of their progress for an entire session. It's been repeated over and over - and you even provided an example in support of the idea that this is a problem that needs addressing. Now, you are finally conceding that it isn't the problem you've claimed it was.

If, in fact, it was impossible - or even difficult - to play for two hours without being able to save some progress, I'd be all in favor of a solution to fix it. But, it's not a problem that needs to be fixed.

I'm sorry to hear that you find choosing to save your progress dull, and so, you want the game to do that for you. Just like you find it "no fun" to have to ensure that no ships are going to sneak up on you on an island. I'm sorry that all sounds boring. But, thank you for finally admitting what the real problem is. It's not really the loss that's the problem, it's that you find the things you need to do to prevent that loss dull. Many games have a save station mechanic that only works if the player chooses to make use of them... this game is no different.

You don't want to lose, you only want to kinda lose... lose LITE, as it were. You want the game to be easier.

• @entspeak I explained you to as nice as I could. You are choosing not to listen. Your idea of "sweeping under the rug" is us not changing our minds to your way of thinking.

I was under the belief you and I had come to an understanding on this and could have an actual discussion, guess I was wrong. I will say it again (Kicks Horse) we have gone over the EXACT same territory over and over again. Short of saying "Yup, you are right, we were wrong the whole time" I have no idea what else I can discuss with you. So, all good if I just go back to ignoring you entirely?

Having spent a tiny bit of time volunteering in this arena and a couple of years now as a modder, I can tell you with certainty this is not how it works. Yes, it is more difficult to come up with an idea that fixes your claimed issue without affecting the tone they want to set, without negatively impacting the open-world "choose your adventure" nature, without unnecessarily giving the impression of penalizing player who opt to use PvP as a means to progress simply because they choose to do it. No game developer worth their salt is going to just take a suggestion that does what this does and then pick up the pieces for other elements later - not after release. That wastes time and, therefore, money.

Oh, and giving a cushion to the loss, that lessens, diminishes the tension and paranoia. That, by definition, affects the tension and paranoia the devs are aiming for. In general, I'd recommend staying away from using absolutes and hyperbole - you and others are doing that a lot.

So, as not to have a wall of text - since only people who support this idea are allowed to create them, apparently... yourself included - I will address one of your benefits now. It will get people to take more risks. There is an interesting thing about human nature: people will eat 1/3 more food than they normally would if you serve it on a bigger plate. Perception is everything. If you give a bonus that is separate from the chests being turned in, it will be perceived as being a separate reward from the one given when turning in chests. They will still be unwilling to risk because they will still want all of the progression they could get from turning the chest in. So, implement this and people will still not engage and will still exploit the red sea.

• @touchdown1504 I've been listening the entire time. No, sweeping under the rug means sweeping under the rug - refusing to address it - telling us to create a separate thread about an issue that doesn't currently exist because it would only be created if this suggestion were implemented. Why would we create a separate thread about an issue that does not currently exist in the game?

• @entspeak Dude, I did address it. I argued with you, I talked with you, I even tried to make peace with you on the subject.

What do you want? Just tell me what you really want? You and at least two others in here are so narrow minded and simply repeating the same s**t over and over. Everyone else is bouncing around ideas. Even if we don't agree, we are at least discussing it. You may notice, in a post I made specifically to you, I stated I doubt this would ever be implemented. We just want to have a constructive discussion. Look, if you don't want to, that is fine, just leave me out of your piece, that way I can enjoy bouncing ideas with the other folks, ok? Is that cool?

• @touchdown1504 Until @AngryCoconut16 recently made an admission about how the game currently has a mechanic that will prevent one from losing 100% of one's progress for an entire session, everyone dodged that point - and continued to complain about losing 100% of their progress. We kept challenging that. Everyone continues to push off the PvP issue and say make some separate thread about an issue that doesn't currently exist. So, we keep challenging that. So no... you didn't address it. And, please, don't claim to have tried to be nice - even your attempt to "make peace" ended with an insult.

This is an open forum. So long as I have an opinion relevant to the ideas put forward, I will address anyone I choose.

• @entspeak Fine. The 100% you ALL knew damn good and well what was meant. Nobody meant the progress you already have, they meant the progress you were carrying. I personally blew it off because I know you and others are smart enough to realize it. There...nothing left to "challenge". Addressed, moving on.

I am not pushing off PvP. I made my stance on that VERY clear, and I will not repeat it. I already have several times, feel free to scroll back in the open forum and read it.

Now, this discussion WAS about Ideas. The OP never asked "hey guys you think we change this?"....No, he said here is my thought and my idea. People started exchanging ideas. You and a couple others came in here and brow beat everyone you could, especially in your initial postings. "Git Gud", "Care Bears", "Whiners" etc. You and a couple others set the tone, and you are a key component in derailing the discussion, which WAS an exchange on ideas.

Address me all you want then, I asked nicely. I asked you to just let it be so there can be some pleasant conversation here. It is your choice to do as you please. By all means...repeat yourself again.

Let me ask one serious question...What would YOU change with the rewards system? Anything? Same question to you @lotrmith Anything at all? No sarcasam here, just a serious question.

• @entspeak Pirate Legends should be given speed boats as well with mini guns instead of cannons.

• @touchdown1504 are you implying that you dislike when people come in to the echochamber to point out the flaws? Look at all the traction this thread got mate, you think Rare is going to pretend this doesn't exist? If nobody stands against it to scrutonize it and criticize it, what hope do we have for the future of this game? Should we just expect low efford posting being hailed and paraded over actual quality posts, we would just get thing added into the game for being popular instead of being good.

I have absolute confidence that Rare will not make that kind of mistake.

• @touchdown1504 You are, of course free, to continue to mischaracterize my posts and build colorful strawmen.

And, no... when people claimed that they were logging out having gained nothing for their entire session, I just assumed that’s what they meant. Figured if they meant something different, they would’ve said something different... because words.

I’ve already discussed what I would change in the reward system... in a post to you. If you didn’t “hear” that, the problem most likely was that I wasn’t listening, I suppose.

Views
1340 out of 1457