Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal

• @enpixelate you get EP for doing that...and for buying voyages, and for making miles while making a voyage...i don't know what it's called in english..."Belobigungen" in 5 different grades...ok, you need to do a lot, and only get it by doing and selling a lot of stuff but still it's there...
    I like it the way it is and i hope they don't change it

• @khol-thndrwlkr said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

I'd like it to complete the voyage and give you your rep rewards when you get back to an outpost, regardless of if you lost the loot or not. It's strange to stick a shovel into the ground and have the screen say "Voyage Complete". It's not complete, I'm still digging and fighting skeletons. Wait for us to get back, then it can register as complete, we get our rewards, and we can then sell our loot if we have it.

So basically you want all the voyages to work like the merchant voyages? Meaning you have to return to the outpost before you start another voyage? That would make things even worse!

• @touchdown1504 No, not necessarily. Just not give credit for the voyages being complete until you return. You can run through as many as you'd like before returning.

Plus, the intent I was going for was more for us getting our rep rewards when we get into port instead of it being linked to selling loot.

• @khol-thndrwlkr said "Plus, the intent I was going for was more for us getting our rep rewards when we get into port instead of it being linked to selling loot." Ok, but why?

• @touchdown1504 The reason why is so that even if you get killed or get your loot stolen, you can still gain rep rewards. You still did the voyage and everything.

• @touchdown1504 You are right, it doesn't stop boosting now.

Thinking about how rep is awarded currently since rep is based on the loot handed in, it may be difficult to differentiate between the items gained when that voyage is complete.

Currently, when handing in the loot the client will talk to the server with the item you just gave and reward you with the rep and gold for that item with whatever algorithm has been programmed for the reward system.

I am not sure if the client is programmed to know on your current voyage what item was dropped or uncovered and can give your rep accordingly.

So maybe depending on the difficulty of the voyage e.g lots of maps, they can give a set amount of rep for completion and then the bonus rep for handing in the loot?

• I’ve been thinking this too, by separating xp and gold it enables events to be implemented in the future. I’d happily leave my gold on a beach for someone to find rather than risk taking it back to an outpost and wasting time getting sunk.

• @demonstrife1 You could be right. Not a programmer, so I wouldn't know. The game knows what voyage it gave you, what you dug up, or what boss you killed. Reputation and Gold are two different entities, so, it seems to be, they can be separated. A matter of "when" the rewards takes place does not seem like a major challenge. Then again, I know nothing about coding and all that stuff. I simply know the system now is punishing, and I would like to see it changed.

• @enpixelate said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

I fell like you should get more xp regardless of turning the chest in. If someone attacks you and takes your loot, you should lose all the gold. Should you not get credit for at least finding the chest though, for figuring out the riddles or map. That way if you spend two hours on a voyage and get attacked, at least it wasn't all a waste.

(I edited the heading in agreement with the commenters. XP based on voyage completion instead of turning in. Gold reward however should only be with turning it in. These two things don't have to go together. That way if we get looted, all of our two hour voyage isn't completely lost)

I read the other posts and I think everyone has valid point. But I want to meet you half way. It could be possible that the voyage reputation, which I assume you are referring to as experience could be divided throughout the journey. In other words, if you are meant o receive 100 experience upon delivering a chest, you could get 50 xp for finding it, and another 50 xp for delivering.

As for gold, it would only make sense (realistically) that you are provided it upon delivery.

• @enpixelate I completely agree - getting the "Voyage Complete" message should instantly grant some rep for that faction. Any loot you turn in would be extra / bonus.

• @demonstrife1 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

I agree you should get rep for completing the voyage, however, I think you should get... for example say 50% of the xp for completing the voyage and then the extra 50% when you hand in the skulls, chests etc.
    This way it would penalise potential boosting for players who will potentially abuse it by completing voyages e.g 12 voyages (with 4 players) and then going to the outpost at the end and not caring if they get sunk as they already gained the rep.

lol what? doing 12 voyages at sea is not boosting lol that is playing the game. Boosting is joining a crew just before they cash in and you get all the gold/xp without putting in the time or work. The new system would actually do an incredible job of prevent boosting because players will now actually have to be present when each voyage ends to get the rep instead of at the end of a long haul. You could still boost gold but that doesn't really matter. it should be like 90% xp on voyage completion you did all the work (thus experience earned).

This idea could be extended to forts as well. More skeletons your crew kills more experience your crew gets after the captain is killed.

• @enpixelate honestly this idea would fix a lot more problems then I originally realized. But it should definitely be a high percentage like 80% or 90% on voyage completion.

Pros
    -Boosting will be much more tedious and difficult to do
    -PvE player will be happy because they get rewarded with the xp to get to legendary
    -PvP players won't have to chase ships for 2 hours because they will most likely scuttle if they don't want to fight to save time. if all they are losing is gold its not as big of a deal as all your work being stolen as is the nature of the current system.
    -PvPvE players will be more inclined to fight off their attackers to save time and because they got their xp. So even of they lose the battle it wouldn't be a total loss

Cons
    -Only downside is PvP players will get significantly less xp but that could be fixed with a new PvP focused faction or Bounty system. End game of that faction could be something like a "Feared Legend"

• @papasohan Negative. 100% of the exp should be given on completion of voyage. The actual turn ins should be gold.

• @skyewauker Negative. 33% of the exp should be given on completion of the voyage. The actual turn ins should be gold + 66% of the exp.

See how easy it is to just say things without backing it up with any reasoning.

• @relishedbaker15 That's the whole point though, if turning things in isn't somewhat linked to earning xp, then what incentive do you actually have to turn in? More pirates with faction reps in the 40s have massive amounts of excess gold that there's nothing to do with, most would just as soon NEVER turn in ANY of their items and just grind rep. Doing this would honestly end PvP altogether.

• @touchdown1504 Yes!

• @skyewauker what about forts or shipwrecks ect? should be 80-90% on voyage completion. Still should give some xp to PvP players who manage to steal it.

• @i-am-lost-77 As I said to others, not having a majority of the rep tied to turn in completely disincentivizes pvp (as most pirates already have more gold than they know what to do with). Also disincentivizes skull forts and shipwrecks, why bother spending all that time just for the gold?

• @touchdown1504 Best proposal I've read yet.

• @papasohan I think PvP is hurting players who spend countless hours on voyages just to get everything stolen. Experience should be gained by actually doing the experience. That being said:

1. I think they need a huge amount of more content for customization and to spend gold on
    2. Check out my post specifically the cons Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:
  • I feel like they should overall leave it as is. But I do feel like you should get a little bit of rep once voyage is complete. Nothing crazy. Like a marauder-captains chest worth or a defined amount based on how many chapters the voyage was. Somewhere in that range. Just so you get a little something. Every little bit of rep helps. But this way you still get full rep from chests/skulls sold. But should you lose everything to pvpers it wasn't an absolute waste. But give me incentive not to cancel riddle voyages or lowly order of soul voyages.
    Rep on voyage complete would also be nice for the merchant alliance as it's incentive to do all the voyages not just look for gold animals.

• @papasohan PvP is not a time efficient way of getting xp so if that is why you are doing it then your not playing right. The one exception is forts but they could award xp based on participation (waves cleared, captain killed, ect)

• @papasohan You make no sense. In one breath you say people have all the gold they could ever need. Then you say the rep being tied to the turn in incentivizes PvP... but its not their mission. The rep from the turn in would be no better for them than a random pig turn in off voyage.

Unless I am missing something.

@i-am-lost-77 This x 1000. PvPing for experience haha. You PvP for the kills. You arent PvPing for experience. You would get no where at all.

• @demonstrife1 Not really. They know to give you 1k gold for a pig right now on mission and 100g for the same pig off mission. They know, trust me.

• @i-am-lost-77 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

@enpixelate honestly this idea would fix a lot more problems then I originally realized. But it should definitely be a high percentage like 80% or 90% on voyage completion.

Pros
    -Boosting will be much more tedious and difficult to do
    -PvE player will be happy because they get rewarded with the xp to get to legendary
    -PvP players won't have to chase ships for 2 hours because they will most likely scuttle if they don't want to fight to save time. if all they are losing is gold its not as big of a deal as all your work being stolen as is the nature of the current system.
    -PvPvE players will be more inclined to fight off their attackers to save time and because they got their xp. So even of they lose the battle it wouldn't be a total loss

Cons
    -Only downside is PvP players will get significantly less xp but that could be fixed with a new PvP focused faction or Bounty system. End game of that faction could be something like a "Feared Legend"

I can only speak on these from my own perspective. That said:

-I could care less if other players boost, doesn't bother me one iota, especially since there is no advantage gained by the boosted player in game.
    -If all PvE players want is rep, which is 100% or mostly attainable from simply completing the voyages, then they never have any incentive to fight back or guard their loot, making it boring for both sides.
    -This has literally never happened to me or anyone I know. That said, even if someone is doing this, you should be able to do drive bye dropoffs of your loot while still avoiding the other ship. People need to learn how to play the game and learn how to not have all their loot stolen, not have the system removed entirely.
    -I believe this would have the opposite effect. No one would feel inclined to fight off anyone as the only incentive is the possibility of some relatively meaningless gold. Even if Rare did have tons of things to spend gold on, I only really care about rep and getting to legendary.

Rep on voyage completion would change this into a completely boring game not worth playing. The thrill of stealing loot and the anxiety of having it stolen is what makes this game great. If you take that away you're left with a pretty boring and lame game.

Also, what happens if you get a five chapter voyage with multiple islands but something comes up and you have to get off the game. As it stands right now you could run to an outpost and turn your items and and get full credit for whatever you have done so far. Or, if the server is shutting down for maintenance and you get a 15 minute warning (happened to us). If you don't have enough time to finish you get zero credit?

Shipwrecks and skull forts give very little to no rep in your scenario, why bother doing them?

Although, something I could get on board with: If you are in the vicinity of a skull fort when the captain is killed, you automatically get a good amount of reputation. This would help reduce the stalemate that forts currently are.

• @skyewauker I don't think PvP should be left in the dark though with no real purpose other than mindless killing. check out the con section of one of my previous post. Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

• I see people saying rep from completing the voyage makes more sense but I think you’re missing the logic. Rep is your standing with the different alliances. You increase your standing by turning in items. Imagine somebody giving you a task and you completing but losing the item. “Hey I lost the item but I completed the task you gave me so still reward me.” Doesn’t really make sense and sounds like a “dog ate my homework” type of situation. This would make sense if there was an overall player rep/leveling aside from the alliances. Then yeah sure give me xp for digging up a chest or killing skeletons or whatever but from a logic standpoint what you’re asking for doesn’t make sense.

• Well given the amount of upvotes on OP... I guess we have a thing here.

Staf'

• @skyewauker I don't think you understood what I am saying. I (and my crew) are currently playing with the goal of legendary pirate status, as I believe the vast majority of players are also doing. If rep were not tied to turn in, I would literally NEVER attack another player's ship. I expect that I would also hardly ever get attacked myself (for the same reason). The game would then be boring.

• @stafylocok I wish I could down vote.

• @papasohan You dont anyway though. If you are playing for legendary status, you are doing forts anyways. There is no quicker way atm. This is what needs to happen honestly:

• Tie 66% of voyage exp to completion of voyage, the other 33% on turn in.
    • Non-voyage turn-ins exp increased by 50% (10% is a joke)

This would solve everything. It would give you reason to go for the treasure another player has and it would give you reason to explore random islands and care about what you find. As it stands right now, experience is garbage, especially when its tied to voyage turn-ins only.

• How about partial XP when discovering treasure? The mission is to get and turn in the loot. I don't think a complete payout in XP is justified in that you haven't finished the mission yet.

• @i-am-lost-77 You are correct. I do not solely pvp to gain rep. I do, however, attack other ships that are nearby or on the way to other places that I am going to. If, as I approach, they don't notice me coming, I will park, sink their ship, and see if they have any loot. If, as I approach, they raise anchor and run before I engage, I continue about my previous mission and ignore them. If, as I approach, they start sailing towards and engage me, then obviously I have to sink them and see if they have any loot.

i don't go out of my way to pvp, but I am all for low hanging fruit AND the thrill of defending my VERY precious loot form would be attackers.

If you take away the rewards from the loot, I have no incentive to attack others or worry about defending myself.

• @skyewauker Have you played the game in the last week? Doing voyages at 30+ are significantly more efficient than doing skull forts because there are usually too many boats at the fort to get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

• the game is made like this ... just as the name of the game says the goal is to conquer the seas, if you are attacked you must know how to defend your booty. Yes, I know, it's a bit 'bad that after hours of play you lose everything but in the game you are all "pirates" ... and the pirates steal the treasures

Views
1340 out of 1457