Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal

• I fell like you should get more xp regardless of turning the chest in. If someone attacks you and takes your loot, you should lose all the gold. Should you not get credit for at least finding the chest though, for figuring out the riddles or map. That way if you spend two hours on a voyage and get attacked, at least it wasn't all a waste.

(I edited the heading in agreement with the commenters. XP based on voyage completion instead of turning in. Gold reward however should only be with turning it in. These two things don't have to go together. That way if we get looted, all of our two hour voyage isn't completely lost)

Update about realism:
    Although most people seem to agree with me, a few of you are arguing about realism. Keep in mind this is a game and as such should be enjoyable. Many games reward the player for doing lots of task regardless of turning in a quest, most rpg games specifically. There is nothing wrong with rewarding the player for doing things. How realistic is it that I can eat bananas while swimming under water in Sea of Thieves to keep from drowning. It logically doesn't make any sense yet I am glad they did it to make the game more enjoyable so you don't die every time you explore a ship wreck.

Views
  • @enpixelate I am sorry to hear that you feel you are wasting your time when you are not rewarded with experience points. This game does not actually contain or reward experience points. The experience you get is the stories you create and events you experience as you explore this rich world of piracy.

And this can never be taken away from you - but your booty can.

• @isaac-occam He's talking about rep with the factions, which the game does give you for turning in chests.

• @enpixelate it should also be a specific portion of the wheel and not a set XP number because this grind is ridiculous. I'm not sure about digging up chests, but you should get a good amount for completing a whole Voyage both with hoarders and skulls. It would be very easy to say that the completing a whole Voyage given to you by these factions would obviously earn you some rep in their eyes.

• @enpixelate It would make sense to get some sort of experience points after uncovering a chest and killing the bosses. Also getting some experience finishing Voyages .

• atleast some bonus rep for completing the voyage, the traders give you something for finishing it. (or am i mistaken?)
    As it is now the best way for goldhoarders for example is to start a voyage, see if there is a map with 5+ chests burried, ignore any riddle and cancle the voyage once your done collecting the easy chests. Riddles take to long and only reward one chests so why bother right? I think that is counter intuative, as is many things with the voyages....

• @enpixelate would be much better for most xp to come from voyage completion (so canceling voyages would be more of a punishment) and a little for turning in loot (that is what gold is for).

• @enpixelate I agree completely and have been saying something similar since testing. My take on it is a bit different.

As the game stands now, a player with a ship loaded with loot is simply content for aggressive players with nothing on their mind but grabbing other players loot. That is fine, it is the core of the game, the Sea of Thieves. However, the player being jumped stands to lose everything. Gold, reputation, and time invested in the questing. If reputation was awarded upon "Voyage Complete" it would cushion the blow to any loss. It also makes better sense. Why would the thieving pirates gain the reputation for the work (riddles, sailing, digging, etc.) the other pirate did? Gold awarded on turn in. This makes sense as well. Meaning the chests/skulls/(not sure how this would work with animals) are only worth gold. Regardless of who turns it in, they get paid gold for it. The reputation was paid out to the person who found it. This would also encourage more questing , and less murder crews roaming the seas (as they need to quest as well to gain rep). As it stands now the system is set up for one group to always be the victims of another. The attackers have zero risk, they also have zero incentive to gain rep another way.

Edit:
    "Some of the multiplayer survival games we were looking at previously – such as DayZ and Rust – they had that drama, but the lows were so cripplingly low, you'd play for hours and hours and might lose absolutely everything." Mike Chapman referring to what they did NOT want to have happen to players

"All we're going to take are the deferred gold locked in the chest, bounty skulls, or animals, that feels like the right balance to ensure that you've got that paranoia that we treasure" Mike Chapman referring to everything taken, except reputation (XP)

• I thoroughly agree. I have nothing more to add as most of what's necessary has already been said, but I want this to be seen by Rare.

• @isaac-occam

"This game does not actually contain or reward experience points."

What game are you playing? I'm working towards becoming a legendary pirate which requires you to max out your xp. You also get better voyages when you are higher level.

• You guys make an excellent point. Voyage Complete should get you the bulk of your XP earned. You still want to earn the gold for unlockables so it's not like the pirate part of the game would go away. I take back what I said previously though, no XP for digging a chest or getting a skull but give us our earned XP for completing the voyage. I really hope they implement this and thanks to those in the forum for figuring out the better way to implement it. Hopefully this gets up voted enough that they read it.

• @isaac-occam You think the world is rich? That's rich.

• @enpixelate I posted the same thing earlier today. I thinkdoing a quest should give xp and turning it in gives you gold. That way people have to do PvE to get XP meaning that more ships will actually have loot on them making the PvP meaningful

• @captain-crowlee said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

I thoroughly agree. I have nothing more to add as most of what's necessary has already been said, but I want this to be seen by Rare.

Then keep it upvoted...it is the only way! Here I started this link THREAD yesterday, hasn't gained much traction, was buried instantly LOL,

• @enpixelate I agree that a good portion of total xp (1/3?) should be rewarded upon voyage completion. The rest should be as is.

• @enpixelate Firm no. Can you imagine saying to a real life vendor "I got your gold that you promised me a percentage of... However I lost it on the way and expect you to pay me anyway"? Hahahahaha. Not. Chance Bucko.
    If you don't provide the spoils of the voyage, it's not really finished.
    Edit: I think there should be a bonus for handing in the gold once the voyage is completed. If you return with all chests, you get a bonus percentage of total Gold earned added.

• @enpixelate You're building reputation with factions. How are they supposed to know you did something if you never visit them and give them proof?

• @daveyjay1984 Did you say "real life"?

Thematically the way the system works now is fine. From a gamer perspective it is punishing, needlessly. The issue is Risk vs. Reward. The individuals concentrating heavily on the PvE content of the game are carrying all of the risk. The individuals concentrating heavily on the PvP portion of the game gain risk ONLY when they have added loot to their ship. This needs some sort of balancing. Not just because of PvE and PvP, but also because of things like disconnects, where at least you will still have been rewarded for the effort put in. This is a video game, not "real life". It is supposed to be fun and entertaining. Where is the fun in watching a couple hours of effort completely vanish? At a minimum award the Repuatation (which is just another word for experience points) on Voyage Complete.

• I'm all for this
    It would take the sting out of being killed after and or/during a voyage.

You still get the Gold. But I got the rep.

Sure I can't afford those fancy sails sooner. But at least my last 2 hours weren't wasted

• @gerinako86 Summed up nicely!

• @touchdown1504 Yes. I said real life. But even without the real life analogue. Why do you think you deserve to be rewarded for not actually finishing the job that you stated you would do. As said above. You are building reputation and being rewarded for providing a service.
    Why would the gold hoarders care that you found all that gold if you don't give it to them as you were contracted to do.
    YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED YOUR CONTRACT AND AS SUCH DO NOT DESERVE TO BE PAID FOR IT.
    I hate capitalised comments but seriously....

• @daveyjay1984 First off, as I mentioned above from a thematic , or story driven point of view it works great! I do not disagree with you there at all. From a playing, being entertained, having fun point of view, it is horrible.

What is "repuatation"? Would you agree it is indeed experience points? It is the one thing that drives your possibility for promotion on the road to Legendary? Gold has nothing to do with that! So, solving a riddle, finding a chest under a red "X", defeating a boss and his minions, should those things not award "experience" simply called reputation in this game? The contract is for gold, which is paid regardless of who turns it in. From a gamer's (this one at least) perspective it makes better sense mechanically.

• It's a game - I'll skip the 'real life analogue'
    Some reward better than no reward for 2 hours work.
    So yeah - I'll ignore the real life argument and say Reputation for finishing the voyage Gold for getting over the finishing line. Seems totally fair to me as you know. It's not real life

I've got a feeling you aren't going to move from your position though so we'll agree to disagree

• @gerinako86 I believe the word he was seeking was "Analogy" but I understood what he meant anyway.

• I prefer getting it when you sell the chests simply cause then pirating is more lucrative. I'm down for getting some up front though. But they should keep the amount at sell the same

• @touchdown1504 No. I don't think so. I think this game is amazingly fun. I think people are focusing too much on the grind when there is an entire world (ok, reasonably insignificant sea) full of fun to be had out there. People just need to be open to it. Stop expecting some reward beyond the beauty of what has been painstakingly hand created for you. Find the book with the lyrics to Becalmed. Notice the shout outs to players, memorializing them for their achievements. Go off on an unexpected tangent because you decided to look on an island that didn't necessarily guarantee you anything but that you realised you have never visited. Have a laugh at the fact that chicken island looks like a drumstick. Search the cave systems and see the level of detail laid out for you despite the fact that your little map didn't tell our to.
    I do get your point that reputation is basically XP. I don't however, think that you should be rewarded for not finishing a job. I think that you should be rewarded extra for actually completing it.
    Edit: And correct. I'm not going to move from my standpoint because I just can't get my head around it. And my suggestion was that we forget the real life analogue.

• @thejaberwock123 said in Give us our XP for finishing a voyage, not turning in the chest/soul/animal:

I prefer getting it when you sell the chests simply cause then pirating is more lucrative. I'm down for getting some up front though. But they should keep the amount at sell the same

How about a 'XP' when you finish.
    But also some still when you turn over the Loot at an outpost

Still rewarding for both parties

• @daveyjay1984 Nobody said it isn't fun! I think its a blast. What I did say is the rewards system is punishing. Nor do I expect any reward beyond what is available. What I did say is reconfigure how that award is paid out. You have your position, you are ok with the possibility of full loss everytime you lose, that is your choice. I am not Ok with that, neither are many others. Speaking for myself it is about time. My time is limited. If I lose 4 chests, all gold, and all reputation, I also lost the time invested (happened two days ago on a disconnect). That can be softened, made less punishing by rewarding the reputation portion upon "Voyage Complete".

EDIT: Analogy. Also, I am not trying to change your mind. You stick to your guns Bro! Simply laying out my reasoning, do with it what you will!

• @gerinako86 that's what I'm talking about. You get some when you dig up the chest or kill the skeleton or collect the pig. But the real payout still is in cashing in the loot. It's a happy compromise. I mean in real life people pay the most for the finished product so naturally that needs to be where the real value is but it is lousy when you put time in then someone comes along takes the loot and you get jack.

• I see it the way I teach my elementary daughter about homework. If you do all your homework but don't get it turned in or a pirate ate it, you don't get the credit from the school.

You should still get progress toward your voyage badges which should increase rep when finishing it's current grade.

• @touchdown1504 analogue
    ˈanəlɒɡ/
    adjective
    relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position, voltage, etc.
    "analogue signals"
    noun
    a person or thing seen as comparable to another.
    "an interior analogue of the exterior world"

Is it wasted time if you had fun? I guess for you it is. To me this is sad. Good seas. I'm out.

• @daveyjay1984 I guess "wasted" could be a bad choice of words. Lets say time better spent for effort rewarded. Nice job digging up that definition!

@civicSico I have two daughters myself! Allowance is a good example (or is it an analogue?). My daughters are paid their allowance based on what they get done. They have a set list to do, and a set of standards. I suppose we all have our own ways to parent. But, my allowance example, and your homework example...have nothing to do with being entertained and having fun! This game is not about "work" and it shouldn't feel like it either. It is entertainment!

• I agree you should get rep for completing the voyage, however, I think you should get... for example say 50% of the xp for completing the voyage and then the extra 50% when you hand in the skulls, chests etc.
    This way it would penalise potential boosting for players who will potentially abuse it by completing voyages e.g 12 voyages (with 4 players) and then going to the outpost at the end and not caring if they get sunk as they already gained the rep.

• I'd like it to complete the voyage and give you your rep rewards when you get back to an outpost, regardless of if you lost the loot or not. It's strange to stick a shovel into the ground and have the screen say "Voyage Complete". It's not complete, I'm still digging and fighting skeletons. Wait for us to get back, then it can register as complete, we get our rewards, and we can then sell our loot if we have it.

• @demonstrife1 What stops boosting now? Why would it matter if they didn't care if they got sunk? Maybe they are only grinding reputation and don't care about the gold. That doesn't effect anyone else.

Views
1340 out of 1457