Peaceful Mode

• @s00thsayer1337 I think @FrunchTosT has a point. Say I really like fishing in Far Cry 5 and that is all I want to do. Asking for an enemy free version of the game to support my desire to fish is essentially what the OP's suggestion is.

Think about this: server merges happen to introduce new players into your play session. To make it dangerous - this is by design.

• @xmadxworldx said in Peaceful Mode:

@s00thsayer1337 said in Peaceful Mode:

@frunchtost said in Peaceful Mode:

@celebritarian said in Peaceful Mode:

@frunchtost Oh, my bad I thought this was a place for suggestions. Thank you for your wisdom. I shall consult you on all of my future game purchases from this day forward.

There is a difference between suggesting something and asking the game to make you a safespace where you can avoid all of the difficulty.

What your asking for is to turn SOT into some PVE MMO because you don't want to deal with the fact that you have to pay attention and look out for other players.

Thats like me buying Far Cry 5 and then asking for a mode where the enemies don't shoot me. Technically its a suggestion right?

What a stupid reply. In far cry, you're not risking losing everything to your enemy, and fights are no where near as long. His suggestion is legitimate and you're in no position to tell people their suggestions are illegitimate. Read the forum rules again before you post.

It's really not a legitimate suggestion though. It's asking Rare to make a completely different game. The reason you don't have any NPC ships out on the ocean because at the core of the game other players are an integral part of the game play. Taking that element out ruins the game and turns it into a sailing simulation

No you aren't lol. It's not hard to make a PVE mode, where your main sea enemies are skeleton ships or something. It's the same game, just without the annoyance of player griefing and witch hunting.

• @s00thsayer1337 said in Peaceful Mode:

@xmadxworldx said in Peaceful Mode:

@frunchtost Oh, my bad I thought this was a place for suggestions. Thank you for your wisdom. I shall consult you on all of my future game purchases from this day forward.

There is a difference between suggesting something and asking the game to make you a safespace where you can avoid all of the difficulty.

What your asking for is to turn SOT into some PVE MMO because you don't want to deal with the fact that you have to pay attention and look out for other players.

Thats like me buying Far Cry 5 and then asking for a mode where the enemies don't shoot me. Technically its a suggestion right?

What a stupid reply. In far cry, you're not risking losing everything to your enemy, and fights are no where near as long. His suggestion is legitimate and you're in no position to tell people their suggestions are illegitimate. Read the forum rules again before you post.

It's really not a legitimate suggestion though. It's asking Rare to make a completely different game. The reason you don't have any NPC ships out on the ocean because at the core of the game other players are an integral part of the game play. Taking that element out ruins the game and turns it into a sailing simulation

No you aren't lol. It's not hard to make a PVE mode, where your main sea enemies are skeleton ships or something. It's the same game, just without the annoyance of player griefing and witch hunting.

I'm glad you have extensive knowledge of game development and have deemed it so easy to completely change the foundation of the game. If you don't want to deal with pirates there is an incredibly simple solution. Stop playing a pirate game.

I fully support a nerfed PVE only safe mode where the characters are locked to that mode and the Pirate Legend reputation system is removed. You're not a pirate in that mode, you're a merchant sailor.

• @frunchtost said in Peaceful Mode:

FrenchTost, you literally de-legitimized his suggestion right here. You probably shouldn't post if you forget things you said like 30 minutes ago, if even.

I didn't miss the point of your Far Cry comment. People are suggesting PVE because they don't like being witch hunted, fighting people for a long time, and losing all their stuff. None of these are present in Far Cry. Your analogy is pretty bad.

Why do you think nobody is making such suggestions on games like Far Cry?

• I dont understand why everyone here seems to think there cant be a Peaceful mode.

Maybe more extreme people want more PvE stuff, but Id be happy with a game that is simply invite-only.

I understand that PvP is a big part of the game's design. However, there's a lot more to this game than just PvP. I love the art design, the sailing mechanics, the music.

I would never want PvP taken out of the game for everyone. Just give me a seperate game mode for people who wouldnt play the game otherwise.

Unless youre just elitist and think "If you dont like PvP you dont deserve to play!!" Keep the main gamemode the way it is. There is no reason there cant be a separate game mode. The developers would only be crippling the potential success of this game.

• @xmadxworldx said in Peaceful Mode:

I'm glad you have extensive knowledge of game development and have deemed it so easy to completely change the foundation of the game. If you don't want to deal with pirates there is an incredibly simple solution. Stop playing a pirate game.

I fully support a nerfed PVE only safe mode where the characters are locked to that mode and the Pirate Legend reputation system is removed. You're not a pirate in that mode, you're a merchant sailor.

You don't need to be a game developer to know it's not hard to make a mode where there simply are not people to play on your server. 99 percent of online games offer offline play these days. If you think this is a costly request, you don't really know anything about game development. What makes you an expert lol?

I've been playing online games since you were probably in diapers. It's fair to expect highly of a triple AAA game that is partners with Microsoft - you're just used to playing garbage produced by conmen so you have incredibly low game standards.

• @welshvlad said in Peaceful Mode:

@celebritarian

While i agree with you.
    I have young kids that play and a private server so i could play with a load of mates and my kids without idiots swearing being racist or just generally idiotic behaviour would be awesome.

I would buy a copy for each box i own in house and we could play away idiot free.

This games full of ultra hard pirate wannabies.
    (kids and real life carebares)

Who will tell you be more pirate.
    Its a pvp game. Your a carebare. Etc etc
    (ive yet to see one pre release video advertising total PVP gameplay. Please post link here prove me wrong)
    So get prepared.
    Be more pirate.
    You carebare. Lol
    You will be abused.
    Its not a nice forum.
    Rare must be so proud.
    shame a cute family oriented game is being ruined by pvp crowd.
    When pvp in game is so clunky its like its been tagged on after.
    no way its primary focus Is pvp.
    I think rare spent more time making treasure maps than making hit mechanics between players.

And theres no private server option to play with large group of mates and family. Shame.

Do you also buy them fps games and then demand the developers to add a mode where you don't shoot eachother and doesn't have weapons but just walk around playing hide and seek?

Really if you want to play with your kids fine but maybe buy the game that offers what you want then instead of buying a game that doesn't and then demand they change it

You don't need to be a game developer to know it's not hard to make a mode where there simply are not people to play on your server. 99 percent of online games offer offline play these days. If you think this is a costly request, you don't really know anything about game development. What makes you an expert lol?

I've been playing online games since you were probably in diapers. It's fair to expect highly of a triple AAA game that is partners with Microsoft - you're just used to playing garbage produced by conmen so you have incredibly low game standards.

Wow so your ideas are so incredibly garbage you now have to resort to insulting me? What a trash individual you are

• @s00thsayer1337 @ecljpse said in Peaceful Mode:

@s00thsayer1337 I think @FrunchTosT has a point. Say I really like fishing in Far Cry 5 and that is all I want to do. Asking for an enemy free version of the game to support my desire to fish is essentially what the OP's suggestion is.

Think about this: server merges happen to introduce new players into your play session. To make it dangerous - this is by design.

Its a suggestion, just a terrible one.

Also a post above explains to you how you 100% missed the Far cry comment.

I would personally rather take on 5 fully player manned galleons then 1 cannon skelly on a sloop. Just the concept on skelly cannons sailing around will keep me up at night.

• @xmadxworldx
    You can already get pirate legend even if you lose every pvp encounter. You just have to play a lot. Its not a measure of skill, just time.

• @spazthemax and losing every pvp encounter makes the process take so much longer, if you can simply grind without fear of consequences you could reach Pirate Legend in a week

• @misa-kitten

Do FPS games have unique gameplay you cant find anywhere where else? Not often, and Sea of Thieves' sailing is really fun to a lot of people.

I just want a first person sailing adventure. Its been too long since Wind Waker.

• @xmadxworldx once this game is out for a few months anyone could have pirate legend

Why care about it so much? Would you be happier if PvE was added after Pirate Legend became meaningless?

Now Id understand if PvP death lowered reputation. Thatd be a challenge to care about.

• @spazthemax said in Peaceful Mode:

@misa-kitten

Do FPS games have unique gameplay you cant find anywhere where else? Not often, and Sea of Thieves' sailing is really fun to a lot of people.

I just want a first person sailing adventure. Its been too long since Wind Waker.

Sea of Thieves doesn't have unique content. There's plenty of pirate games out there and even a co-op pve focused one called Salt

Yeah except that "annoyance" of pvp is the entire challenge of the game. It amazes me to see people like you who cannot handle other players.

Other than the threat of players attacking you, what challenge is there? skeletons?

In this so-called PVE server progression would have to be tuned off, people would have such a massive advantage and could get to "pirate legend" by being complete w*****s and not getting into one single fight quicker than the ones playing the game properly.

• @misa-kitten If you suggest that players wanting PvE should just stop playing, what is the problem with a separate PvE mode?

You can play your PvP pirate game, and people who would, by your ideals, leave the game are out of your sight. A separate mode would make mo difference to you, why oppose it?

Caring about a meaningless title is a weak excuse to tell people to stop playing the game.

@xmadxworldx once this game is out for a few months anyone could have pirate legend

Why care about it so much? Would you be happier if PvE was added after Pirate Legend became meaningless?

Now Id understand if PvP death lowered reputation. Thatd be a challenge to care about.

As I've said PVE only should be added to a locked server where you cannot collect reputation or gold. I have no problem with people that don't want to play the actual game and just want to sail around.

• It's asking Rare to make a completely different game. The reason you don't have any NPC ships out on the ocean because at the core of the game other players are an integral part of the game play.

To be fair, Rare haven't really made a game yet, they've made a tech demo with things to do. I'm going to follow suit and become an artist, I'll sell people blank canvasses and tell them to "Imagine the picture"

• @frunchtost

Is it so hard to believe some people love this game but get stressed out by PvP?

I cant understand how you dont see what this game has to offer outside PvP.

@misa-kitten If you suggest that players wanting PvE should just stop playing, what is the problem with a separate PvE mode?

You can play your PvP pirate game, and people who would, by your ideals, leave the game are out of your sight. A separate mode would make mo difference to you, why oppose it?

Caring about a meaningless title is a weak excuse to tell people to stop playing the game.

If you add PvE servers the PvP will be pointless. Anyone that would want to do voyages would just use a PvE server and it really ruins the whole point of the game.

Besides I REALLY don't see the issue, do you even play the game or do you just cry without actually experiencing what the game is actually like? I sail around solo A LOT when my friends aren't able to play and being randomly chased is something that happens very very rarely

• @xmadxworldx Reputation i mightve agreed with if Pirate Legend meant something (frankly I do think pvp death should lower reputation, what kind of legend gets killed all the time)

But Gold? Now you're just being unreasonable.

• I can tell people are getting very defensive of their positions, instead of talking it through, try to get back to discussion?

So questions to those wanting the "pve toggle or server":

If you remove the pvp part of the game, are you not reducing the game to a menial task? I know some people that would log into lotro and do their dailies and log off, no fun, just work. Is that what you wish for this game? You want to sacrifice fun for ... a feeling of completion?

If you are being stressed by pvp all the time, I wonder what you are doing different, since I have only been attacked 2 times in a sloop by galleons. I have played a decent amount of sessions, and just don't see this targeted issue. With the ability to scuttle, and then spawn a quarter of the map away, you should be able to get going again without much stress. Are you building up too much on your ship, trying to maximize? Are you being caught offguard? Are you able to adapt?

This isn't an mmorpg, where you must develop your character away from the main tests (raids), the goal here is not to rank up on menial tasks to improve your character. It's to have an adventure, every time you log in. I admit, in EQ/LOTRO/etc there were many times, the repetitive tasks to increase faction or levels was not.. fun. I hope you all see Rare's vision was not to include those, but rather have a wild west on the seas, one that does get you excited when you see a ship, what is it going to do?

These questions aren't to invalidate your request, but rather make sure you see what you are giving up in doing so.

I would not mind if they made a toggle to go to a peaceful server, it will remove those from my game who are very frustrated with getting attacked, and I would in no way want to cause someone to quit playing.

And I think those who are so adamant against it, are not realizing that there will still be people on the server, not just those who are either playing with family members who can't .. deal with pressure situations quite yet (my wife, screeches and can't figure out what to do at all) or are on a very limited time frame (work breaks). Leaving "pvp" to come back "stronger" isn't in this game, they will have cosmetics.

Perhaps the pve only server caps out at rank 30? for the traders as a regard to those who see an issue with "pirate legends" not .. being piratey.

@xmadxworldx Reputation i mightve agreed with if Pirate Legend meant something (frankly I do think pvp death should lower reputation, what kind of legend gets killed all the time)

But Gold? Now you're just being unreasonable.

You're literally asking for a completely different game without piracy... And I'm the one being unreasonable lol

@frunchtost

Is it so hard to believe some people love this game but get stressed out by PvP?

Oh it has plenty to offer outside PVP, but not without PVP. Honestly you bought a pirate game advertised as being an open world SHARED world in which you can be a pirate, including taking treasure from others.

And then people ask for a new world without the ability to be a pirate, because all they want to do is fight no-challenge skeletons and look at trees.

I have no problem with a server just for exploration, and i guess you can do voyages if you want, but progression would have to be turned off. It would be completely unbalanced if you could progress for free with no worries when people playing the actual game risk losing it all.

• @misa-kitten I do play the game. PvP is great when Im with my friends or feel like playing with randos.

But I want to play alone sometimes to unwind after a work day, and playing PvP alone sucks.

In any case, I cant stick around and argue. I hope this game succeeds despite your selfish desire to limit the playerbase to your favorite mode.

• @frunchtost said in Peaceful Mode:

@spazthemax said in Peaceful Mode:

@frunchtost

Oh it has plenty to offer outside PVP, but not without PVP. Honestly you bought a pirate game advertised as being an open world SHARED world in which you can be a pirate, including taking treasure from others.

And then people ask for a new world without the ability to be a pirate, because all they want to do is fight no-challenge skeletons and look at trees.

I have no problem with a server just for exploration, and i guess you can do voyages if you want, but progression would have to be turned off. It would be completely unbalanced if you could progress for free with no worries when people playing the actual game risk losing it all.

The solution is incredibly simple, your PVE character is 100% locked to the PVE only server and vice versa. You don't get to farm gold and rep in a non pirate server and bring it to the regular game. If you don't like the stress stay in PVE only, problem solved.

• @xmadxworldx 2 separate characters for 2 separate modes works for me.

• Do you also buy them fps games and then demand the developers to add a mode where you don't shoot eachother and doesn't have weapons but just walk around playing hide and seek?

Really if you want to play with your kids fine but maybe buy the game that offers what you want then instead of buying a game that doesn't and then demand they change it

Have you heard of Prop hunt? It's literal hide and seek and people love it. Also nobody is demanding anything. It was merely a suggestion on a forum which encourages suggestions.

• @xmadxworldx Hmmm, still. This would just lead to a split in the playerbase, because its really hard to get to lvl 50, so if people begin dividing and get attatched to that progression they will never play the PVP server.

No, progression should be turned off. It should be just for exploring.

@xmadxworldx 2 separate characters for 2 separate modes works for me.

Boom, Rare, get on it

• Have a PvE or PvP preferred checkbox in the matchmaking screen. Nothing changes to the servers, there are no different rules, you're just given a higher chance of spawning in an instance with other likeminded ship crews.

Of course, you could check the PvE preferred box and then go in and gank everyone.

• @celebritarian That's not what this game is. The sticky'd post at the top specifically says they have no intention of doing a PvE server.

• @Celebritarian Do you think it would be fair if you did the same quests as I do in a peaceful mode and get the same reward? absolutely not if you want to be a carebear you should only get a tiny portion of the reward that everyone else gets.

• Nope don't do it!

Views
26 out of 133