Streaming and Island LODs

@the-estler Definitely something changed on the most recent update.....and changed for the worse.....(X1X)

Come on Rare. Another patch and it’s worse once again. Draw distance worse. Character pop in WORSE. crews can be 20 feet away and they just pop out of sight. Also noticed shadows don’t load correctly until I’m right beside objects. Xbox one X 😡

Quit necroing threads.

@personalc0ffee suppose we should just keep making new posts then? Good one.

I’ve noticed since the hungering deep that the Killer Whale crows nest pops in when I’m way to close. A detailed landmark like that should be visible from any distance you could normally see with a spy glass and not suddenly appear like magic 4 boat lengths away. For a game that prides itself on immersion, long draw distances should be a top priority regardless of detail.

@hudson-rl said in Streaming and Island LODs:

Agreed. The topic has been relevant from the start and is still relevant now.

@personalc0ffee said in Streaming and Island LODs:

Quit necroing threads.

We will when Rare stops necroing bugs and performance issues...

Sorry to raise this from the dead again after 10 days, but to add to the discussion I still have trouble spotting birds circling above wrecks, even when the rest of my crew can often see them.
    Not sure if it's the streaming and LOD, or something else completely, but oftentimes I can be looking in the direction that I have been told and see nothing, but when I move a fraction of an inch in another direction they magically appear!

@sshteeve said in Streaming and Island LODs:

I still have trouble spotting birds circling above wrecks, even when the rest of my crew can often see them.

My entire crew on three different systems (Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and PC) have had trouble spotting them, they seem to phase in and out as distance from them changes. Seems like it was just since this patch or recently at least.

My two cents on people saying that they're being punished for "Xbox hardware limitations" is that a low-end PC on lowest settings is going to be vastly inferior to Xbox so calling out an entire portion of the player base and seemingly blaming them for your lessened experience is kind of unfair.

@xcaptredbeard it's been like it for a few patches now and gets better and worse on and off!

Should mention I'm playing on an OG Xbox One. Completely agree with your sentiments re: platform parity

It's still bad playing last night a sloop rendered in from the bottom up. Watched a shark render in under water from the eye out..lol Only seems to be getting worse with each patch.

The only time I personally have issues spotting birds is when there's a storm in the direction that they're in and it makes it hard to see anything anyway. As to rendering, the biggest hitch I have is that it does seem that islands (on occasion) tend to take their time fully rendering in up until you're pretty much on top of them. Aside from that I can't say I've personally had much of an issue.

As bad as the island loading is - I'd rather them find a way to properly blend distant ships into the environment. Its FAR too obvious to spot a ship. they are always rendered darker than everything around them.

@itsporkchopfu said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@hudson-rl said in Streaming and Island LODs:

Agreed. The topic has been relevant from the start and is still relevant now.

@ItsPorkchopFu you are absolutely right that this issue is still very relevant. If you find it an issue have your voice heard. They have wanted this topic to die and the issue to go away and not truly address it.

Everyone speak up and keep up the fight!

I would love to see a response from Rare on this and their horrible pitch black HDR, but will likely just see the thread locked.

I would love to see a response from Rare on this and their horrible pitch black HDR, but will likely just see the thread locked.

We have not heard anything since we started this discussion 3 months ago. As you can see from the history of this discussion things got worse, improved a little, however the state of the issues we brought up never returned to where they were before all the patching.

A lot of time has passed and Rare and Microsoft seem set to just sail along as is. There are a lot of other issues that made the game worse such as lack of content and their focus has been on that which is understandable. Without the a constant flow of new and better content Sea of Thieves will not keep any wind in their sails.

@crowlikedream said in Streaming and Island LODs:

We have not heard anything since we started this discussion 3 months ago. As you can see from the history of this discussion things got worse, improved a little, however the state of the issues we brought up never returned to where they were before all the patching.

A lot of time has passed and Rare and Microsoft seem set to just sail along as is. There are a lot of other issues that made the game worse such as lack of content and their focus has been on that which is understandable. Without the a constant flow of new and better content Sea of Thieves will not keep any wind in their sails.

I agree, game breaking bugs and content to keep the game afloat with players should be the priority.

That said, I think we would all at least like this issue officially acknowledged and preferably also slated for debugging by one of their many teams.

@mr-fellblade

not sure if this applies, but ive been running into it lately where a ship is nit visible on the horizon. i begin to raise my sails and when i look up a ship is there in front of me. ive only been experiencing this within the past week or so

This is REALY a gamebreaker for me, i am complaining from patch 1.02 and they just ignore it.
    On high end pc btw

Thank you for the update. This was incredibly detailed and informational

@captin1080ti said in Streaming and Island LODs:

This is REALY a gamebreaker for me, i am complaining from patch 1.02 and they just ignore it.
    On high end pc btw

They didn't ignore it, they posted a response here, which you are replying to, saying that the actual data on their end shows everyone should have the same draw distance and its not been changed since launch. They explained the draw distance can vary based on what the system is doing, but it's consistently been within a set of parameters.

I've never seen someone complaining about this ever offer any actual evidence that this gets worse from one patch to the next.

@thekitchner said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@captin1080ti said in Streaming and Island LODs:

On high end pc btw

They didn't ignore it, they posted a response here, which you are replying to, saying that the actual data on their end shows everyone should have the same draw distance and its not been changed since launch. They explained the draw distance can vary based on what the system is doing, but it's consistently been within a set of parameters.

I've never seen someone complaining about this ever offer any actual evidence that this gets worse from one patch to the next.

On the contrary. Examples have been posted and submitted.

@crowlikedream said in Streaming and Island LODs:.

On the contrary. Examples have been posted and submitted.

This very thread was in response to someone posting these "examples" and the OP clearly states these were taken beyond the draw distances. It then goes on to say anyone who's not beyond the draw distance and is seeing something should file a bug report, because they can't see that happening in their data at all.

Its far more likely that the people providing examples aren't providing examples that demonstrate there's a problem. They "remember" being able to see things from that distance but that was never the case. I trust data over what people claim to remember.

@mattydove74 said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@personalc0ffee said in Streaming and Island LODs:

Quit necroing threads.

We will when Rare stops necroing bugs and performance issues...

this ^

Appropriate examples have been given numerous times as well as tickets submitted. The issue has been ignored and people keep coming along saying everyone is wrong. Whatever.

The issue is real. Examples have been provided. Tickets have been submitted despite Rare's response to tickets has been shameful. That is why we have ended up where we are making these posts.

It is what it is. Somethings have improved in minor ways since players stated posting here. Doubt things will ever be like they were. Some may not notice it and more importantly want to acknowledge it like Rare does not want to. It does not matter as the truth is in the game for all to see if they honestly look.