Streaming and Island LODs

• running @ 2560x1440 all on mythical as usual cause my pc can easily handle it. check out these p**s poor graphics of the ocean(the obvious line between deep water and shallow water) from the crows nest. took this pic 3 minutes ago. quality was way better pre-launch, during stress tests and beta weekend.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/343145464478302208/439822965069053952/Sea_of_Thieves_4_28_2018_12_17_14_PM.png

• If xbox have problems on hardware... Its bad destroy experience con pc...

I cant see my creew on isle and im on boat... And use telescope... Ridiculous

• @mr-fellblade cross platform is always going to be a massive challenge, Xbox/xbox,s/xbox one x limitations vs more powerful pc’s, advantages of mouse and keyboard etc. The way I see it, if we can make it work on this game merging console and pc games will have a limitless potential. Finding this middle ground though will be a huge task and transparency on advantages and disadvantages will be key. I like the fact that even if you own a standard Xbox you won’t be at a disadvantage to someone with an overpowered pc. The rendering for me is problematic but can’t see how much it can be improved when the game has to work on 3 different gens of Xbox plus a massive array of pc configurations. I hope that people with a decent pc or Xbox x can have graphical upgrades without an advantage in gameplay and a controller is equal to mouse and keyboard in various scenario’s . Rare have stated that they don’t want to separate players and have everyone on an even play ground, so separate servers will go against that . Well I love the game I feel more apart of this game than any other game I’ve ever played since the days of Atari! I have a great I igination but can’t wait for more content and hope some of my ideas I’ve had in my first ever post will at least come in to consideration.

• uhm, in the last patch the textures are even worst.
    I don't really know what to think.

• I give up. Shadows are worse, pop in at islands still hasn’t improved etc. This along with the fact skeleton bounties still get stuck in the island has me losing hope. What a shame.

How can the game on a technical level be worse than it was at launch (server issues aside)

• Ships’ ropes now cast shadows on the deck.

lol...

• @super-poopsy ha detto in Streaming and Island LODs:

Ships’ ropes now cast shadows on the deck.

lol...

also that yeah.. xD i don't know if laugh or what

• Ahoy mates! Had to port and take a break from sailing for a while as my family and I just could not stand all the LOD issues. Even though LOD issues did not improve with patch 1.0.5 the game played better with no lag, rubber banding, or freezing. The LOD issues can be so annoying and frustrating it zaps the desire to play even though the game can be performing better.

So came back to see how the sea was after patch 1.0.6. Still no LOD improvements. Game played horribly! Started off fine, but after about 30 minutes the lag came. Rubber banding was messing with us a lot. Would be in the wrong place at the wrong time because we were snapped around. When sailing around particular islands it got worse. The game would freeze for a second or two every few seconds. We also had to keep turning around for shipwrecks at the birds would appear and disappear. We had to sail at just the right angle to obtain the exact position several times.

It is so sad. It should not be like this. All of us said we are going to try to stick around and keep giving them a chance, but we are losing hope. The new content did not even make anyone happier. Just slightly recolored or tiny tweaked versions of the same cosmetic items.

Starting to look like permanent dark skies to sail under as it appears the issues we have been discussing here are not getting resolved. Seems this quote from Pirates of the Caribbean is appropriate as to where we currently are after patch 1.0.1: "Take what you can, give nothing back."

• @hudson-rl said in Streaming and Island LODs:

I give up. Shadows are worse, pop in at islands still hasn’t improved etc. This along with the fact skeleton bounties still get stuck in the island has me losing hope. What a shame.

How can the game on a technical level be worse than it was at launch (server issues aside)

So true and yes what a huge shame!

• When wil this be fixed, or they gonna do if it never happend

• @captin1080ti Nope, they never will. The magic word is platform parity. Which is why I stopped playing the game. Because, personally, I don't like it, when the gaming experience is crippled on powerful hardware because of some weaker one.

• I've been having lags & glitches popping up a over the place & having me fly off the boat when I wasn't moving or I was walking on Deck and then suddenly are in the water. Or judt suddenly being somewhere else on deck.

This has been happening since last weekend & that was still before mondays patch/update on xbox one x at 4k hdr.

• @bklynnets12 said in Streaming and Island LODs:

I've been having lags & glitches popping up a over the place & having me fly off the boat when I wasn't moving or I was walking on Deck and then suddenly are in the water. Or judt suddenly being somewhere else on deck.

This has been happening since last weekend & that was still before mondays patch/update on xbox one x at 4k hdr.

We had constant issues too off and on since the start with this game. Before we stopped like I said in my post it seemed to be better. Believe the situation we logged into then was better the times we played. I think it is issues like @Super-Poopsy mentioned before. You get on a server you can have good ping and things run smoother. Next time you are on one that has high ping and runs c****y. You can log out and back in until you get better performance. Just another annoying thing about playing this game.

• i have it know for three days on the xbox one x. so much lag and stuttering. all the bugs they have fixed the last weeks are back in and really the aim bot users getting annoyinb know. also the skeleton gun damage and spawns are rediculous

• Ahoi! May I kindly ask everyone to stick to the topic in this thread, which is solely about Streaming and Island LODs? Hope, everyone is OK with that :-) Thank you very much.

• @king-kiriasu said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@captin1080ti Nope, they never will. The magic word is platform parity. Which is why I stopped playing the game. Because, personally, I don't like it, when the gaming experience is crippled on powerful hardware because of some weaker one.

That's not an excuse. There is absolutely no legitimate reason that PC players with superior hardware should suffer penalties. Its purely a cosmetic thing and in no way confers any kind of gameplay advantage whatsoever.

• @Only-Alexraptor
    Even trying to be completely unbiased, it's a curious situation when the game publisher also happens to be the console producer...

I strongly doubt they want their product to appear inferior to a 5 years old PC, even if it technically is. Way more convenient to just dumb the entire game down for everybody and call it 'optimizations'.

(On a side note, lol at HDR being an xbox exclusive for no other reason than to let them have something exclusive)

Still waiting for DX12 by the way, which as far as i remember was one of the 'reasons' we had to use windows10 in the first place to play the game. (what's up with that? Was it silently canned? @TEDDY-25)

• @Super-Poopsy I wonder the same thing about DirectX 12. Plan was to wait on Windows 7 until it dropped. Actually took the plunge and updated to Windows 10 to play Sea of Thieves. What a mistake.

• @orsosilvano said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@personalc0ffee said in Streaming and Island LODs:

No, Rare didn't lock your thread to shove you off or "hide the truth"

They directed you here because it is an official reply and they want all of you to see it.

And they want to be able to read the discussion in an official mega thread.

Contrary to community belief. Rare actually pays attention to these threads.

Yeah, you are wrong, because only founder and/or insiders can write on this topic, in the other one everyone.

Anyone can become an insider

• @the-estler said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@orsosilvano said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@personalc0ffee said in Streaming and Island LODs:

No, Rare didn't lock your thread to shove you off or "hide the truth"

They directed you here because it is an official reply and they want all of you to see it.

And they want to be able to read the discussion in an official mega thread.

Contrary to community belief. Rare actually pays attention to these threads.

Yeah, you are wrong, because only founder and/or insiders can write on this topic, in the other one everyone.

Anyone can become an insider

Sorry not that it really matters, I didn't realize this thread had died.

• WOW, now pigs eyes disappear when you are 100 cm from them.

• @only-alexraptor said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@king-kiriasu said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@captin1080ti Nope, they never will. The magic word is platform parity. Which is why I stopped playing the game. Because, personally, I don't like it, when the gaming experience is crippled on powerful hardware because of some weaker one.

That's not an excuse. There is absolutely no legitimate reason that PC players with superior hardware should suffer penalties. Its purely a cosmetic thing and in no way confers any kind of gameplay advantage whatsoever.

What’s interesting, is when the game launched, the LOD’s were perfectly fine on the XB1X. You could spot objects, islands, trees, everything from a significant distance away. Slowly patch after patch it got worse for all systems. I’m not so sure this is a parity issue at all, as the Xbox was running it just fine.

• LOD’s where fine on XBOX, they where a little slow on big islands but not game breaking; I could actually see pirates on their ships loading and unloading; I could see them on the islands also.

Now, I’m always checking to see if their are mermaids because every ship is ghosting, or looks that way, sails are constantly moving up and down, the ships glitch across the water; and one you enter load distance they disappear.

Island loads times are crazy slow now, I see ricks and trees load literally right in front of me. I also still rubbervand across my ship into water, or across land through trees etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this game, I’m not hating; just reporting, I genuinely hope we can get, at the very least, the LOD we had at launch.

PS. Just saw a comparison video of the graphics and LOD from 2015 E3 and Launch; needless to say Rare has a vision; I hope they can achieve it. Love the game, keep up the hard/good work!

• To clarify, the beginning of my above comment; I was referring to LOD at launch on an XBone

• @the-estler Definitely something changed on the most recent update.....and changed for the worse.....(X1X)

• Come on Rare. Another patch and it’s worse once again. Draw distance worse. Character pop in WORSE. crews can be 20 feet away and they just pop out of sight. Also noticed shadows don’t load correctly until I’m right beside objects. Xbox one X 😡

• @personalc0ffee suppose we should just keep making new posts then? Good one.

• I’ve noticed since the hungering deep that the Killer Whale crows nest pops in when I’m way to close. A detailed landmark like that should be visible from any distance you could normally see with a spy glass and not suddenly appear like magic 4 boat lengths away. For a game that prides itself on immersion, long draw distances should be a top priority regardless of detail.

• @hudson-rl said in Streaming and Island LODs:

@personalc0ffee suppose we should just keep making new posts then? Good one.

Agreed. The topic has been relevant from the start and is still relevant now.

• @personalc0ffee said in Streaming and Island LODs:

Quit necroing threads.

We will when Rare stops necroing bugs and performance issues...

• Sorry to raise this from the dead again after 10 days, but to add to the discussion I still have trouble spotting birds circling above wrecks, even when the rest of my crew can often see them.
    Not sure if it's the streaming and LOD, or something else completely, but oftentimes I can be looking in the direction that I have been told and see nothing, but when I move a fraction of an inch in another direction they magically appear!

• @sshteeve said in Streaming and Island LODs:

I still have trouble spotting birds circling above wrecks, even when the rest of my crew can often see them.

My entire crew on three different systems (Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and PC) have had trouble spotting them, they seem to phase in and out as distance from them changes. Seems like it was just since this patch or recently at least.

My two cents on people saying that they're being punished for "Xbox hardware limitations" is that a low-end PC on lowest settings is going to be vastly inferior to Xbox so calling out an entire portion of the player base and seemingly blaming them for your lessened experience is kind of unfair.

• @xcaptredbeard it's been like it for a few patches now and gets better and worse on and off!

Should mention I'm playing on an OG Xbox One. Completely agree with your sentiments re: platform parity

• It's still bad playing last night a sloop rendered in from the bottom up. Watched a shark render in under water from the eye out..lol Only seems to be getting worse with each patch.

• The only time I personally have issues spotting birds is when there's a storm in the direction that they're in and it makes it hard to see anything anyway. As to rendering, the biggest hitch I have is that it does seem that islands (on occasion) tend to take their time fully rendering in up until you're pretty much on top of them. Aside from that I can't say I've personally had much of an issue.

Views
141 out of 193