Should Griefers be banned?

• So more often than not on a Galleon, people enter the game, f*** s*** up, then leave. Few examples from my games this evening...
    *guy joins the team, throws our hard earned loot over board or hides it.
    *two guys join our team, constantly dropping the anchor and raising the sails so we cannot get anything done or move anywhere.
    *guy joins the team, kills our pigs that we spent half hour finding and catching.

In your opinion. Should these people be banned from the game (or given a warning) or are they not breaking any rules and are within their rights to ruin the game for genuine players?

Views
  • @scrubber89

probably not

• I think those guys should be banned. Many people are misusing the term griefing but this is a clear case of griefing.

• Can't be done in a pvp game.

You open up a whole can of worms because now you have to set rules on what is and is not griefing.

Is it the fact that your empty sloop was sunk once despite you telling them you had nothing?

Is it because you were sunk 12 times while at a fort, which is open to anyone, so competitors have to take on each other?

Is it that you just wanna PvE and this game is not built that way?

Is it that someone is waaaay too sensitive and considers anything remotely upsetting as griefing?

• Yeah this is a slippery slope.

I would support an option to make a player 'walk the plank' and they are booted from your crew.

Banned from the game? Slippery slope...

• @oneeyed-w1lliam said in Should Griefers be banned?:

Can't be done in a pvp game.

You open up a whole can of worms because now you have to set rules on what is and is not griefing.

Is it the fact that your empty sloop was sunk once despite you telling them you had nothing?

Is it because you were sunk 12 times while at a fort, which is open to anyone, so competitors have to take on each other?

Is it that someone is waaaay too sensitive and considers anything remotely upsetting as griefing?

We're not talking about enemy crews though; we're talking about his own crew trolling.

• I think they should be left with a warning then banned if the problem persists, but unfortunately I don't think they can do anything about it.

• @scrubber89 said in Should Griefers be banned?:

So more often than not on a Galleon, people enter the game, f*** s*** up, then leave. Few examples from my games this evening...
    *two guys join our team, constantly dropping the anchor and raising the sails so we cannot get anything done or move anywhere.
    *guy joins the team, kills our pigs that we spent half hour finding and catching.

In your opinion. Should these people be banned from the game (or given a warning) or are they not breaking any rules and are within their rights to ruin the game for genuine players?

I avoid these situations by not running on a ship with a spot for a random player to join. If we lose a shipmate off a 4 man Galleon we downsize to a 3 man, and so on.

• @djiem said in Should Griefers be banned?:

@oneeyed-w1lliam said in Should Griefers be banned?:

We're not talking about enemy crews though; we're talking about his own crew trolling.

Ah, in that case, give the crew voting rights to kick that player from their crew, not just brig.

• @oneeyed-w1lliam said in Should Griefers be banned?:

Umm what? Did you even read my post?

• @scrubber89 nope, I wanted pve/invite only sessions but I was told in this game you need to make your own fun and each voyage is its own story/adventure. You just got a guy trying to make his own fun. Don't like ask for invite only sesions/ships.

• @dills-ghost said in Should Griefers be banned?:

@scrubber89 said in Should Griefers be banned?:

So more often than not on a Galleon, people enter the game, f*** s*** up, then leave. Few examples from my games this evening...

I avoid these situations by not running on a ship with a spot for a random player to join. If we lose a shipmate off a 4 man Galleon we downsize to a 3 man, and so on.

How do you do that without leaving the game and starting again?

• This is why we need invite only ships and the option to boot a player. Maybe a strike system first you brig them if they keep messing around then make them walk the plank.

Implement an "Avoid Player" system, you can add players you want to avoid on your list, that way the matchmaking system will not put you in a team where they are, nor will the matchmaking put them in your team...

That way, if enough players have put said griefer on their list, the matchmaking system will eventually not be able to find this griefer a team they can join... Forcing this griefer to play alone, regardless of boat/ship size.

Perfect way to deal with Griefers and/or other people you dislike... several birds with one stone.

• @scrubber89 No....I be guilty of not readin' mate.

• @sweltering-nick said in Should Griefers be banned?:

@scrubber89 said in Should Griefers be banned?:

Implement an "Avoid Player" system, you can add players you want to avoid on your list, that way the matchmaking system will not put you in a team where they are, nor will the matchmaking put them in your team...

That way, if enough players have put said griefer on their list, the matchmaking system will eventually not be able to find this griefer a team they can join... Forcing this griefer to play alone, regardless of boat/ship size.

Perfect way to deal with Griefers and/or other people you dislike... several birds with one stone.

The avoid player option already exists, just add them to the block list under the xbox app if you managed to catch their name and report them whilst you do so.

As for the rest there is a reason they posted this with those being majority of the points: https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/top-feedback-points

"Investigating: We are also considering options around moving ships to other world instances if they are caught in a griefing situation. This is a slightly more complex change, so we are currently investigating this to understand exactly what it would take, and the value.

Work in progress: A key change we are working on is to allow players to select whether they want their ship to be open to others being matchmade with them, or closed so that it's invite-only. This will allow players to manage how many people they want on their ship, invite friends and decide whether or not to allow other players to join them. We hope this mitigates one of the key reasons for people misusing the brig. It also has the added benefit of allowing players to sail the galleon with a smaller crew if they desire, or the sloop with a larger crew. We've had a lot of feedback and requests for this so we'll be very happy to deliver this functionality.

Work in progress: We are working on automatically matchmaking by microphone status. The game already detects if you have a microphone plugged in, and matchmaking will now prioritise matching you via your mic status.

Investigating: We will be adding the option to filter by language for matchmaking so players can find other players who speak the same language to crew up with. "

• @th3xr34p3r "Investigating: We are also considering options around moving ships to other world instances if they are caught in a griefing situation. This is a slightly more complex change, so we are currently investigating this to understand exactly what it would take, and the value."

Except that's impossible, you DON'T get stuck, seeing as the scuttle ship function exists... You can escape a potential camping situation with scuttle ship the very second an enemy boards your ship. The victims decides how long they are camped.

They literally say in the text above that players need to be made more aware of the scuttle ship option in the menu, this completely nullifies any potential for spawn camping to be considered griefing.

You can't be griefed with a situation you can easily fix. xD

• Implement a vote for griefing on the player tag, that stays on the account. Good way to get rid of the mental cases that cant help themselves.

Permaban? Naah...but for every 5th vote u get, u get a nice little timeout to calm ur t**s and think about ur life.

• @sweltering-nick said in Should Griefers be banned?:

@th3xr34p3r "Investigating: We are also considering options around moving ships to other world instances if they are caught in a griefing situation. This is a slightly more complex change, so we are currently investigating this to understand exactly what it would take, and the value."

Except that's impossible, you DON'T get stuck, seeing as the scuttle ship function exists... You can escape a potential camping situation with scuttle ship the very second an enemy boards your ship. The victims decides how long they are camped.

They literally say in the text above that players need to be made more aware of the scuttle ship option in the menu, this completely nullifies any potential for spawn camping to be considered griefing.

You can't be griefed with a situation you can easily fix. xD

Yes and no with that, comes down to how fast they are able to react and load in etc to get themselves sorted especially with ping factored in, I would just leave the game and go to a new session if I am alone, but this is why I captain crews now and have no issues really against other players lol

But hey least we can see they are looking to one extra option out there should we see how they implement it come time.

• @scrubber89 jeez man, i don't like griefers either but they bought the game! they can do whatever they want with it. get used to it. stop whining about this and get better at the game or get a bigger crew or find people who are good to play with.

• No need to ban griefers. It's an unnecessary approach. Instead force them to adapt looter behaviour and everyone gets their fun.

• The game should ban cheaters. And that's it.

Everyone else buy's the ticket and rides the ride. That said, the game should allow people to lock the slots on their ride so they can just play with their friends; it'll be better for solo-matchmaking players, and they are already working on this feature.

This forum has a bizarre notion that people who are sinking you are griefers. They aren't. And if we decided to ban them for it, this game would have 0 players, since everyone here has likely sunk a ship at port out of pure fear for their own loot.

• @mythicalfable said in Should Griefers be banned?:

No need to ban griefers. It's an unnecessary approach. Instead force them to adapt looter behaviour and everyone gets their fun.

Pretty much this, I would just grief the griefers in GTA Online when I was on that every so often if I spotted them with a few mates of mine, hell we even had "policed" sessions every so often.

• @th3xr34p3r said in Should Griefers be banned?:

@mythicalfable said in Should Griefers be banned?:

No need to ban griefers. It's an unnecessary approach. Instead force them to adapt looter behaviour and everyone gets their fun.

Pretty much this, I would just grief the griefers in GTA Online when I was on that every so often if I spotted them with a few mates of mine, hell we even had "policed" sessions every so often.

S.W.A.T. crew to the rescue! LOL

• Report them, I've reported some people before for doing c**p like this before. Wish them the worst.

In this case yes they should get a warning/ban, but really rare just need to add private crew or invite only crew etc .. and that would get rid of problems like this.

• Although I don’t think they should be banned, (you could’ve locked them in the brig) there should be a kinda report system for people like this.

• @eat1bread said

This forum has a bizarre notion that people who are sinking you are griefers. They aren't. And if we decided to ban them for it, this game would have 0 players, since everyone here has likely sunk a ship at port out of pure fear for their own loot.

Another person that can't read.

• Honestly , even though I'm hardcore into PVP and have want zero limitations in that regard ever ,

When it comes to things like the OP is talking about I've got zero tolerance and wish the devs would also.

If you join a crew you don't like , you can leave , there's ZERO reason to ever drop the loot overboard , or just be an annoying a*s in this PVE circumstance. It's not an accident , if you want to sink them , go PVP them ,if you are doing this just to be a p***k in a PVE setting where they cannot kill you in return , you deserve your account banned.

Zero tolerance , let the word get out that this is the case , and it'll make the random crew finder actually usable for a change.

Also there should be a system where you can /block or something another player and it will never put you with them again in a party.

Enough folks do this and it would end up with only the douchebags being put into parties with other douchebags.

easy answer is no, too hard to prove, and this proble will (hopefully) be diminished once closed lobbies become a thing. May i suggest the SoT oficial discord to use as a LFG tool? Ive had only one bad experience using that (even then we just brigged the guy, sold our loot and remade the lobby without him), and ive yet to use the matchmaking in-game.

• @scrubber89

They got rid of friendly fire for the reasons you're mentioning, but it seems it's extending to simply wasting people's time.

Only real solution...... don't group with anyone you can't punch in RL.

• Temp bans do get handed out by MS and they might work for those who come specifically to ruin someone else's SOT experience.

Might need proof first though.

• I feel like there should be specific fixes for these forms of griefing, such as the option of refusing certain team members to pick up loot on the ship or something like that.
    However, banning people, like people have said, is going to cause some real issues for the community and open up some seriously heated debates on what defines griefing. It's not really worth it.

@eat1bread said

Another person that can't read.

Relax. This statement wasn't about you, necessarily, but rather the term "Griefer", which -- if you took the time to read Rare's updates - you would see that Rare considers those on opposing teams as griefers for spawn-killing, for example. This, in turn, has distorted what people are even talking about when they say the word (do you mean people on your team being griefers, as you do in this thread, or the broader spectrum that Rare now embraces as all-encompassing). So, in a click-baity title like yours, someone would likely read that title and think you mean also people on enemy teams "griefing."

Rare is already aware of, and is solving your issue with griefers on your own team; first by way of locking your team so others cannot join, or being friend-only invites.

Next time you write a title, consider your word choice. A better title would be "Should people who join your team and grief be banned", because - like it or not - the term now means a lot more, and just because you gave an example of what you meant doesn't mean that is all inclusive.

Views
1 out of 50