Family shared accounts keep crashing

• Hi all,

I have seen several posts now. People who have bought the game and shared it via microsoft family share up to 10 people ARE CRASHING ALL THE TIME.

Its no fun anymore, in 5 or 10 minutes every family member in the game take turn in crashing. Me as the family creator have no problem at all. Even when they play alone without me THEY. ARE. CRASHING!!!

Please Rare respond. I have made several tickets now and none of it got a respond. At least say to me you are looking into it.

Thank you.

P.S every member has looked into solutions but it's blatantly obvious that the family share is the problem. Please rare check it out!

Edit: 10 people is max. I have shared it with 3 of my friends and they are currently crashing.

Edit2: It's on pc. I have no clue if there is a similliar problem with xbox/xbox one users

Views
  • @hezino Maybe you should buy more copies of the game or get game pass. I am not sure 10 people playing on one copy was ever the intention of Family Share.

• @nightmare247365 It works on any single game in the windows store. This is a bug only in SoT.

• @hezino Same happens to me :(

• I'm not 100% sure if it's a bug with family shared accounts. I used to think that, then I bought it for myself (was sharing with a brother) and it's still crashing after being OK for a while.

• @dukenukem19890 Yes. This game is nowhere near ready for release to public.

• @deadwoodtrout Quite the sweeping statement, just because a few people are having some very specific issues with it.

• @hex-ten I'm having issues as well. Never had so many issues with an Xbox game. Should not be so when they are charging $80.

• Me and my friend keep crashing and we are on pc with our on copies.

• Same thing here

• I'm on the same boat matey. Is there any official word about this?

• I use family share for me and my partner on Xbox and it works fine. Maybe it's because you have so many people trying to use it???

• @hezino We have the same issue, bought the game to play it with the family. Installing, using MS's instructions and all is well, but after some time in game the game randomly crashes for the family members (not the account that originally bought the game)

So we tried this: we applied for the free 14 Days Game pass in the store to test it, and what do you know, for the two people with the Game Pass (trial) : no more crashes. The account on wich the game orginally ws bought (family member) : never crashed.

The one remaining with only acces through the family membership: keeps crashing, just as the other two did before the game pass trick.

• @sh4ggy-dog said in Family shared accounts keep crashing:

Maybe it's because you have so many people trying to use it???

Microsoft has intended to be used with 10 family members. It's the game that is at fault here not correctly authorizing it.

• @mcvriesnl I have looked at many solutions but at this point it's obvious that the family share is bugged and needs to be fixed.

• I play with my wife and we do not have problems. I play on an Xbox One and she plays on the PC. The game is redeemed with the xbox game pass

alt text

• I have my Xbox One and Xbox One S set as my home console so my husband and I can play but neither of us can get past the "Opening Crew Ledger" screen or a couple after. The closest I've come to playing has been hitting "A" to set sail. It freezes and crashes to my Xbox dashboard.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times on each console both prior to and after the update, checking all my settings, and removing one of the Xboxes as my home. Still, neither of us can get in using my shared access or him using gamepass. It sucks.

• i only share the game with my two brothers, not 10 friends, only 2 shares and the game is crashing all time, the game is too expensive for the actual contenct and the future micro pay, 70€ for play in family is good, 70€ for play alone
    it's a robbery, i posted a few tickets and they close and mark all "solved" when is a lie....
    sorry for my bad english but in two weeks i lost arround 60 chest and it is very unfortunate.

thanks and see you.

• Same. 10 family members. It crashed all the time for us, but we used the gamepass and 0 crashes for everyone. Now the Gamepass has end, everyone starts to crash suddenly again and again.

• @sh4ggy-dog said in Family shared accounts keep crashing:

I use family share for me and my partner on Xbox and it works fine. Maybe it's because you have so many people trying to use it???

I am sharing the game with exactly 1 person. It crashes anyway (and I never got a response from Rare Support when I asked for a fix)

• Mine and my husband's games keep crashing in the same spot (Opening Crew Ledger screen), both on Xbox One and One S. We're te only two "sharing" my stuff bc I have the two consoles set as my home. Filed tickets with support and they filed it as solved without any feedback. :( Pretty upset bc I've been excited about this game since reveal and haven't been able to start a single game

• @hezino I've registered a ticket and they replied:

Ahoy there,

Thank you for contacting Sea of Thieves Support.

Our Test team is aware of this issue and working on a solution. We hope to resolve this as soon as possible.

Thank you for your report!

Regards,
    Sea of Thieves – Player Support

• @darnedkelbishea said in Family shared accounts keep crashing:

Mine and my husband's games keep crashing in the same spot (Opening Crew Ledger screen), both on Xbox One and One S. We're te only two "sharing" my stuff bc I have the two consoles set as my home. Filed tickets with support and they filed it as solved without any feedback. :( Pretty upset bc I've been excited about this game since reveal and haven't been able to start a single game

As far as I know you can only have one console set as your home at a time. I share with my other half, my account is set to home on his console and his account is set to home on mine and we are able to play all games together that I have purchased (or him) including SoT. Hope this helps!

• @sugarist
    I'll redo everything and try again. I do remember removing the new console as my home and not having any luck but who knows!

• Interesting issue.. I will investigate as well.
    I already play on xbox and pc simultaneously using the home xbox setting, so I didn't share it through the microsoft store to family members. It works flawlessly.
    But I will try the store sharing for the other PC and see what combinations work.

I hate to short Rare on this though, 2 playing for 1 price of a game is.. I guess not bad.. but 3??? 4???? 5+???? seems bad.

• I have no issues with an attempt to keep players from playing for "free" on family share settings. I have no issue with a game being $XX.XX as a cost and asking players to purchase multiple copies if they want to play the game with family. But, it's a play-anywhere title through a team that offers family share.

If they are offering family share, they need to support family share.

If they are supporting "Play-Anywhere" they need to support "Play-Anywhere".

If they are supporting "Game pass" they need to support "Game pass".

I'm not expecting a free game.

I am expecting that a play-anywhere, game pass accessed, family share-able game to be all of those things.

As it sits, I have 3 pc's and 2 xbox one X's

I have game pass and my entire family listed on my microsoft account as, well, family.

I should be able to play with them on each PC and the Xbox.

I CAN play on XBOX and PC two player.

Once I try playing 2 player on PC - the clients experience common, random crashes within minutes.

If I play XBOX with PC, and a second PC. The PC versions will crash often, and randomly.

This is a BUG.

This is not an attempt to "protect license misuse", this is a bug. If they are attempting to protect license misuse they need to express that.

If RARE chooses to express that I will merrily purchase 4 copies of the game.

What I cannot support is the fact that I simply CANNOT play with the family on PC together in a play-anywhere, game pass title.

Reading elsewhere, and above, I find plenty of impressions that suggest if each client has it's own license through either game-pass or purchase that it clears up the issue.

But I will not attempt to invest upwards of $240 to test this. I simply cannot invest that much money into the game without foreknowledge, expressly provided by RARE, that all will be well.

Particularly when I consider that the company seems more than happy to support the game-pass, family share option, but are simply failing in that attempt.

• We are having the same problem, I contacted the support and they told me they are aware of the problem, but I have not seen them address the problem publicly, so I'm scared that the problem is not close to being solved

• @hezino Can you or anyone else please check what the NAT type is on the PC's that are crashing? I am trying to find a way around this because my daughter and I take turns crashing every 5 minutes when we play together with my son on the xbox (xbox never crashes). My NAT was medium, got it to open and will try tonight. If I get all 3 systems to open NAT hopefully it takes care of it.

• @mubhcaeb78 It was their decision to choose microsoft store and not another platform like steam. This was a bad decision to begin with but wathever. Every game on microsoft store can be shared with family. With this method we also have forza horizon 3 and other games. It's just that they have a flaw in their licensing system that causes all these crashes sadly.

@Mint87RX7
    This has nothing to do with nat type sadly... We tested it with game pass and everything worked fine. When we shared the game via microsoft everyone began to crash.

• @Mint87RX7
    This has nothing to do with nat type sadly... We tested it with game pass and everything worked fine. When we shared the game via microsoft everyone began to crash.

Yes, i tested this as well. Crashes begun when my game pass ended and i started to play the game from family share.

• @bola-satanica Ive got exactly same situation.

And if its only SoT game problem with family sharing why they not try to fix it? First users start to describe this but about month ago and nothnig changes.

• First let me start by saying this game is absolutely the best EVER!!!

Yes Family share does Crash and this is only to inform and hopefully the developers will see this and use the information to fix and allow another user-base access to the game.

We as a Family can't wait for the weekends to arrive so we may red-eye through it and enjoy our adventures together.

We have gone as far as to dedicate a whole Sea of Thieves themed gaming room, and just like the game, the room changes for the better each week.

We also experience the 10 - 15 minute game crashes, and yes it becomes frustration when this happens when you have to rejoin for the 20th time or in the middle of battle. However we still love the game and how it brings our family together.

The reason they say it only effects a few people is possibly because only a few have the specific setup that results in this issue.

We have tested this extensively and here are our results.

PC = Stable
    XBOX = Stable
    PC - PC - Crash
    XBOX - PC = Stable
    XBOX - XBOX = Stable
    XBOX - XBOX - PC = Stable
    XBOX - PC - PC = PC's Crash XBOX not
    XBOX - XBOX - PC - PC = All PC Crash XBOX not
    XBOX - PC - PC - PC = All PC's Crash XBOX not

Last Test - Internet based

XBOX - PC1 - PC2
    XBOX and PC1 on internet connection 1 and PC2 connected to internet connection 2 from another ISP.

Reslut
    XBOX Stable All PC's Crash

I hope this help the developers resolve this issue.
    You all rock!

• I own two copies of SoT one for me and one for my wife. I play on Xbox and she plays on PC. I have encountered a few bugs(mostly audio) but my game has never crashed. My wife's PC is an i7/Nvidia GTX 970 build and it has never crashed. I'm not saying that SoT is 100% stable just that there must be something in hardware or drivers causing these issues.

• @lord-sphinktus It is not a hardware issue. The issue occurs when 2 or more PC players connect to the family share account and try and play at the same time. It will always result in crashing. 1 PC/1-3 xbox with no issues, but as soon as you have more than 1 PC player using the family share you crash.

• Add me to the list, I've been going nuts troubleshooting trying to figure this out for both Dot and Deep Rock Galactic.

My kids play via family sharing using my purchase, and the Xbox and my main PC never crashes but the other 2 PC players will just randomly have the app just close and be at the desktop with no errors or warnings.

I've verified that everyone was open nat wise and all Teredosettings were valid via netsh int teredo show state in an admin prompt. Same deal both games only common factor is both are family shared. We're all on the same IP this isn't a case of abusing the system with friends across town etc they are literally sitting next to us...

Views
1 out of 70