Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1

• Ahoy there Pirates!

One week on from launch, we're keeping you up to date on the issues and ideas that are taking priority! Get the latest from Studio Head Craig Duncan and Sea of Thieves Executive Producer Joe Neate.

Release Notes - 1.0.1

This is a full game update as opposed to just a patch. It contains a wide array of fixes across our services, stability and game experience. We felt the priority here was releasing the improvements to our player base. For our next client update, we plan to send out a much smaller patch size.

--

Download size:
    Xbox One: 9.99GB
    Xbox One X: 18.97GB
    Windows 10: 19.53GB

Xbox Installation Instructions can be found here.

PC Installation Instructions can be found here.

Fixed Issues

• Players who have redeemed their Black Dog Pack pre-order code will now correctly see these items in their in-game chests. Not received your code? Check your Xbox Live messages over the next couple of days.
    • Characters should no longer lose details such as hair colour and scars.
    • When digging up a chest, there is no longer a chance that it will be impossible to pick up
    • Players should no longer intermittently be missing items and weapons when loading into the game
    • Weapon, clothing and ship cosmetic changes made after migrating server will now persist across sessions
    • Players will now correctly see other players titles
    • Snakes will now behave correctly, turning to face the player when agitated
    • Animal and skeleton movement around slopes has been improved
    • The game will no longer enter an unresponsive state after accepting a game invitation whilst matchmaking
    • Merchant Alliance notifications for handing in various items have been corrected
    • Lighting has been tweaked in order to improve performance on multiple islands and outposts
    • Fixed tinnitus sound which persists after being killed by multiple explosive barrels.
    • Seagulls now fly over floating barrels.
    • Players can no longer be held by a seemingly invisible Kraken tentacle.
    • Fixed a range of potential game crashes.

Performance Improvements

Significant performance optimisations across all platforms, specifically targeting the 4K native resolution of Xbox One X.

• Drastically reduced the likelihood of tearing when using the small ship.
    • Reduced the likelihood of tearing when inside the Taverns.
    • Sizeable framerate improvements when traversing large islands.
    • Reduced likelihood of framerate hitches when navigating outposts.
    • Optimised Foliage for smoother experience in overgrown jungle areas.

Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.

Known Issues

• Player gold and reputation can be delayed when cashing in a reward.
    • Player achievements can be delayed.
      For an update on both of these issues, please read our Launch Update written by Executive Producer, Joe Neate.
    • Bounty quest skeletons sometimes do not spawn or cannot be found.
      If you encounter this bug, a potential work around is to sail away from the island until it’s out of range, and then sail back in to trigger the Island Name banners.
    • Joining a player whose ship is parked at an active skeleton fort will prevent the joining player’s radial menus being opened.
    • Rare Lore Items throughout the world will read in English, regardless of current language settings.
    • "Hunter of Cursed Crews", Commendation is not updating.
    • Players may become comically smaller after fighting the Kraken.

Coming Updates

Thank you all for your feedback on our previously discussed Coming Update, Death Cost. Due to your passionate comments, we have decided not to move forward with this feature. Thanks for the honest feedback & discussion on this!

That covers the release notes for Release Notes - 1.0.1

Views
  • Key Links

Official Community Links

Official Social Media Links

• @khaleesibot Wow that's a lot of bug fixes! Should be a much smoother sailing experience for all!

• Great stuff guys! Keep up the good work!

• Great stuff really, and in one week also.

Is there any time stamp on the next content update. or possible work around with the current ship re-spawning mechanic.

Loving the game, you guys have built something incredible that a lot of gamer's are bind to see. Keep it up!

• Players may become comically smaller after fighting the Kraken.

This rather looks like a feature to me, not a bug. :D Yet to encounter kraken spawning onto our sloop though. Still galleons only?

• Great work guys

• @khaleesibot
    Thank you for all of your hard work guys! Loving SoT & all the commitment Rare is giving to make things work as smoothly as possible... I really appreciate your hard work... :D

• @khaleesibot Great work, I do have a question though. When exploring yesterday, I found a mysterious island that wasn't marked on the map. It had a shipwreck in the middle, and a cave system. When going into the cave system there was a hidden room. Was it an accident that you left the island unmarked or is it special? Maybe it's the entrance to the pirate legend hideout. I have some photos of the position of the island on the map, as well as the island itself.
    Happy pirating to y'all
    -GADDSP

• @kgmshylian

Honey the Kraken shrunk the kids... wasn't that the movie?

• @musicmee said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

@kgmshylian

Honey the Kraken shrunk the kids... wasn't that the movie?

Even if it wasn't, we gotta make one now from the game in the same style.

• I appreciate the fact that they've acknowledged the concerns of some of the playerbase. I've seen other developers ignore things like this in the past only for it to end catastrophically.

• Great, keep up the good work!

• Great work pushing out so many fixes in such a short amount of time, no post you make can adequately communicate just how difficult some of those seemingly simple fixes are under the hood.
    Make sure everyone gets adequate rest, staying fresh and focused is worth whatever time it takes to avoid burnout and stress frazzling your brain's synaptics.

• Great update to fix some of the most important issues. I'm glad you went with time over size of the patch.

I'm rather pleased with seagulls above the barrels! This will make for much easier restocking when fighting ships at a fort :)

• Can you make future updates not make to download all game again? For us that have slow internet conections this is a really big pain.

Thanks.

• In the future could you guys make me a pirate skeleton? Just a dream of mine

• Great works Rare <3 <3

• Coming Updates

Thank you all for your feedback on our previously discussed Coming Update, Death Cost. Due to your passionate comments, we have decided not to move forward with this feature. Thanks for the honest feedback & discussion on this!

This is a sad news, pity!
    It would have been a good repellent for those players who run just to ruin the gaming experience!
    Good job anyway

• @khaleesibot where are the sever down times posted?

• @khaleesibot Fantastic update, and great work with all those fixes so soon!

Joe - for goodness sake get some sleep man. I've seen disgraced skulls with more life in their eyes! ;)

• @assassin-x-jack said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

Coming Updates

This is a sad news, pity!
    It would have been a good repellent for those players who run just to ruin the gaming experience!
    Good job anyway

it actually protects most from those them! thats why it got such negative feedback and thus removed. it unfairly punishing those that want to explore and not pvp that usually get ganked while moored at an island.

• Wait a sec. The update is 19gb? I have to reinstall the whole game???

• Thank you for the update. A bit of unfortunate for people who don't have fast internet speed.

• @xxdbssxx Ahoy there matey!

It was mentioned in the developer update video below, that this is because they wanted to get the build out ASAP rather than working on a patch version as there are a tonne of bug fixes that the community needs asap.

Future updates will be smaller and patch sized.

• @musicmee dang :( i mean that's great they fixed things but dang. See everyone in a couple days then

• @xxdbssxx said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

Wait a sec. The update is 19gb? I have to reinstall the whole game???

Hoping you don't have a capped internet connection, or slow internet. I know some special soul will soar on through saying "hurr hurr get gud internet" but for some people there just aren't that many options where they live. I'm hoping this complete redownload is a one off, rather than the teams preferred way of "patching".

• @gaddsp said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

@khaleesibot Great work, I do have a question though. When exploring yesterday, I found a mysterious island that wasn't marked on the map. It had a shipwreck in the middle, and a cave system. When going into the cave system there was a hidden room. Was it an accident that you left the island unmarked or is it special? Maybe it's the entrance to the pirate legend hideout. I have some photos of the position of the island on the map, as well as the island itself.
    Happy pirating to y'all
    -GADDSP

I think its part of the fun that some islands have been uncharted. me and my friends came across one such island just yesterday. there was nothing interesting there, but it was fun exploring where no pirate had ever set foot.

• Any chance at the founder rewards today?

• Thank you scrapping the death cost.

• This is great news, and quite an amazing turnaround time from announcing a death tax and (reactively) dropping it. Keep it up Rare!

• THe goodness keeps on going

• You forgot to add "Lack of content" to known issues.

• @crusaderjesus a dit dans Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1 :

You forgot to add "Lack of content" to known issues.

Exactly :/

Still going on exploring all the map to find secrets chests or anything but there's nothing.

I hope lvl 50 is something huge otherwise I would be so disapointed...

took me 7 hrs to get from lvl 21 to lvl 25 ...

• @khaleesibot a dit dans Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1 :

• "Hunter of Cursed Crews", Commendation is not updating.

That covers the release notes for Release Notes - 1.0.1

@khaleesibot Commendation of Fortress Skulls isn't updating either. Is it acknowledge by the team ?

BTW Who the hell make you DL the whole game again to update it ?!?!?

Views
13 out of 384