Dolby Atmos

• I don't understand why game this new especially with all the dynamic sounds in this game doesn't have Dolby Atmos. To be able to hear a cannonball zooming by your head in high channels in DTS or Dolby spatial format would be undeniably needed. Please with an update add height Channel ability to this game.

Views
  • Hey, first of all this post probably fits better in the game discussions category as opposed to website/forum feedback.

But yeah, I'm a sound designer myself and noticed this also. Sea of Thieves uses Wwise for it's sound which was updated with Dolby Atmos (DA) support back in 2016, so it's been well supported for 2 years now.

I believe the Audio Team working on SoT isn't as big as that of other companies. Meaning some things, such as DA, may cause too many problems to take a risk on.

The fact that the Sound Design and Audio Production found in this game is so incredibly well executed, I wouldn't mind if they never updated it with DA support. But, that's not for me to say, it's up to Jon Vincent (Audio Director/God of Sound).

• They have stated in several announcements and interviews since E3 that it would have Atmos but it doesn't seem to be included on Day One. Maybe they will add it later?

• But what is up with Dolby Atmos for Headphones in Windows 10? Does it work in any games? I paid money for it but it seems to only work for movies.

• @avean As far as I am aware Dolby Atmos for Headphones only works on titles that support Atmos specifically. However, Windows Sonic, which is available for free on Windows 10 and Xbox One, supports virtual surround through headphones and works with any games that has surround sound available. You could try playing Sea of the Thieves with that in stead.

Paying for Atmos is still worth it if you have the right titles and one payment is good for up to 10 devices, both Windows 10 and Xbox One. It is superior to Windows Sonic it's just not as well supported at the moment.

Other games in the Game Pass that support Atmos are Rise of the Tomb Raider, Super Lucky's Tale and Gears of War 4.

Other games that support Atmos include Assassin's Creed Origins, Battlefield 1, Final Fantasy XV, Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC), Overwatch (PC) and Shadow of War.

Crackdown 3 is also confirmed to support Atmos when it is eventually released.

It's also worth noting that you can watch certain Netflix titles in Atmos using an Xbox One as well as Blu Ray titles too.

• @djbladex2

I downloaded that from windows store on 1803 build doesn't work at least it was free

Views
1 out of 6