The option to choose which microphone the game uses?!

• During the beta a message pops up asking me to allow the game access to my microphone, which I obviously agreed to but for some reason it chose the worst of my three mics that I can use, and people struggle to hear me properly, and there is no way of changing it in game.

I use a Soundblaster ZXR sound card. It has an AUX input which I plug either my guitar into or my music industry standard Shure SM57 or 58 microphones into, they sound great and in other games I can choose to use them but SOT seems to default to a USB mic on my headset which is not great and is very quiet.

Anyone else having similar problems?

It would be nice if the devs added a little bit more to the in game options.

Views
  • @themuckypaw Damn I hope someone can help. Heres a bump. I had the issue where ingame Mic wouldnt work but in discord I can talk fine. I had to go into windows setting and allowed the game to access my microphone. @GoggledJesus Helped with that. Many thanks good friend!

• @demonicthing Glad you found a fix but I've tried similar and it doesn't work for me. If I change my default mic in windows to either of the other two options I have available for mics then they don't work in game, people can't hear me at all. It only seems to want to work with my rubbish USB mic. :(

• @themuckypaw Maybe take the L and get a new higher quality HS? I use the logitcech artemis g6633 or w.e they are caleld . which is really good and the mic is wonderful.

• @demonicthing My headset, although good quality (it's a Turtle Beach) is getting a bit old and could do with being replaced, I can't afford a new one right now.

I know that Rare have said they want to keep the in game options simple but it seems a bit silly to me that they don't have more options available for sound set up. I doubt I'm the only person having issues. If i could go to the options and tell the game to use my AUX mic then there wouldn't be an issue and people would be able to hear my lovely deep rich Scottish brogue properly. ;D

• @themuckypaw Agreed 100%. It would be nice for things to work the way they are supposed to haha

• @themuckypaw yeah hopefully thats added in for launch

• @themuckypaw Hey guys from what I understand most Windows store games don't let you change it in game. I'm assuming due to that the source might be from the Xbox App check what Mic that is using.

• @themuckypaw
    Xbox Live will use whatever you have set as your Default Communication Device, while most Games on the other hand will Default to whatever your Default Recording Device is.

In the upcoming Windows 10 Release, you will be able to Per-Application set which Audio Input and Output you wish to use for it.

alt text

Still for the moment the Defaults are what will be used.

• @leyvin Ahh that could be it however he said he selected default and it did nothing maybe he didn't do "Default Communication Device" Instead he did "Default Device" We will have to wait and see.

• @personalc0ffee

1. Windows 'recording' settings ... done that, set aux mic as default, didn't help
    2. Xbox app, just checked, under 'mic' there is NOTHING listed.
    3. Not checked but pretty sure this isn't the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• @leyvin

"In the upcoming Windows 10 Release, you will be able to Per-Application set which Audio Input and Output you wish to use for it"

I assume you mean the game release for PC, that probably would fix the issue.

• Personally I couldnt get any ingame voice communication to work at all, tested all settings and followed support page suggestions but NADA. Slightly worried its gonna be like this after launch to, which means no random crewing.

• @personalc0ffee Hmm, just went back and checked xbox app and now it shows a list of microphones, including my AUX one. I've selected the AUX one now. Hopefully when I start up the game on release, it will now recognise the correct mic.

Cheers.

• @ohrstrom if you play on pc you need to allow the app to use your microphone. it's under the privacy tab in the settings.
    if you have multiple microphones, did you try to disable the bad ones?

• @d3adking I found the mic settings under the general tab in xbox app. When I first looked a moment ago there was no mics listed but I checked again a minute or so later and now it's shows them. So I've clicked on AUX and hopefully that will be the fix. Cheers.

• you play on xbox or pc?
    i meant the privacy settings in windows 10 (first part here: https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115012749647-Windows-10-Chat-Settings )

• @d3adking Just checked and yea permission is given to SOT to use mic. I think this is what the game does at first play when it asks you for permission, but it doesn't allow which microphone to choose. I think it's probably/hopefully down to the 2nd suggestion that personalc0ffee made, i.e. the xbox app settings. Before there wasn't a list of my mics on xbox settings but it now seems to be recognising my different mics. Will need to wait till the launch now to check but hopefully that's it fixed. :)

• @d3adking As I said I followed that support page. If windows for some weird reason decides to use my other mic instead of the headset mic which is set as the standard device, shouldnt that atleast work provide sound from the other mic, since I can use both in other apps. If not, should it mess it up so badly that that I cant even hear other people? Everything works perfectly in literally all other games.

• This is basically what I was talking about.
    Anyone who needs a walk-through for Voicemeeter (which is a good by-pass for Windows Audio Mixer, and is Free), then follow this video

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VqL20qESj3s

Views
1 out of 20