Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...

• The more I pay attention to reactions to this game around the net, the more irrational the attacks on it become. What are some of the most ridiculous you've seen? I'll start.

1. Why is it only on Xbox? Why not PS4? That's stupid.
      No need to explain what's wrong here.
    2. 60 dollars? It'll get boring in a month. Not worth 60!
      Yet people pay $60 for single player games they finish in a day.
    3. What do you do in this game? They haven't shown any gameplay.
      Umm..
    Views
  • To the pirates that think Rare hasn't givin' us enough information: JUST WALK THE PLANK!

• "No safe zones? WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

:)

• I know this is not everyone's but it is one of mine.

I need more than 4 in my crew!

• I honestly see this game as a potential years long game. Really. We are at the beginning of our journey and who knows what else is planned. It's already an open world allowing us to live it however we wish. With whomever we wish. Yar, I can't wait!

And we'll drink to good companions and Irish whiskey neat. We'll drink to wives and lovers and we hope they never meet.

• @nightmare247365 said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

I know this is not everyone's but it is one of mine.

I need more than 4 in my crew!

OH MAN, this so much! The game has been in Alpha and beta for so long, I think the devs got a pretty good balance down. Like common people.

• Never underestimate the stupidity of the average internet user. Most of the time, when someone asks a question or makes a comment it's either blind hype, something incredibly dumb that we already know, or a tankard of pure sodium mixed with sulfuric acid that someone spilt for absolutely no reason.

Though to be fair that's mostly YouTube comments. Forums are a bit more civilized and are at least capable of holding a conversation.

• @salem-vice two major reasons. 1. There is always a post of someone not using the search function to scream about 4 player count.

1. The topic is irrational. There are so many games that play with more than 4 it is nice to see a game that thought it out first. An intimate conversation is 2 people. A nice sized balanced conversation is 4. Larger than that has people screaming over one another, trying to determine if someone heard you, someone's mom yelling it's dinner time. If the devs wanted that in THEIR game they would have made larger ships/crew sizes. I said it is not popular opinion.
  • "There is not enough in the game"

...the only thing lacking are ship hull types... and shapes... I want something like HMS Revenge, ok?

• @hk6719 said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

I honestly see this game as a potential years long game. Really. We are at the beginning of our journey and who knows what else is planned. It's already an open world allowing us to live it however we wish. With whomever we wish. Yar, I can't wait!

And we'll drink to good companions and Irish whiskey neat. We'll drink to wiv and lovers and we hope they never meet.

No troll, really trying to see what other ppl are seeing. Can I ask what your rationale is with the potential ‘years’ of longevity this game will have?

I am playing the game at launch, but am really trying to see how I play this much longer after I get to Pirate Legend. So I see this...

• horizontal progression provides no lomgterm goals or statistical builds to strive for
    • after the initial honeymoon phase of fun, how often can you do the same sailing voyages over and over just to recieve more gold? The ocean will be the same again and again, its not chaning much. Even with special event content, you still are just receiving a cosmetic or gold
    • once you have the look you are after, why grind for more cosmetic items? Unless this is a RP thing, you normally build your hero to look a certain way...or two...and thats it. Is there a acievement for largest closet of clothes? And with the preorder clothes, what if thats your look you are after? You replacing it with a admirals hat, or outfit?
    • the competitive drive. PvP, sink one boat, sink 10, sink 100. After awhile..do you start to ask why bother? Where is the reward for sinking your boat? More gold?

What i am asking here is what goals are you planning for that could make a game with no statistical progression system last for years?

• @uberkull The devs said they have a rough road map for the next 10 years, they plan on releasing new content for as long as people play it.

• @a13xa4d3r said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

@uberkull The devs said they have a rough road map for the next 10 years, they plan on releasing new content for as long as people play it.

Right man. I know and get that. Why would you come back to play content that just rewards you with a brief jolt of fun in the same world, and zero progressive reward? Shiny new hat? I guess.

• @uberkull I guess it just depends how much you like the feel of the game, and the mechanics. The devs said some of the content wont even be "shiny new hats" it will be events for a limited time.

@uberkull I guess it just depends how much you like the feel of the game, and the mechanics. The devs said some of the content wont even be "shiny new hats" it will be events for a limited time.

Yea, i heard that vlog. Events for a limited time that rewards a limited time cosmetic item.

I guess, back to my question. What would your goals be to keep returning to the game for years?

• @uberkull Well, this might be just me, but I don't play a lot of games, I only play a few games that I love to death. The games I played the most I didn't play because of the graphics, or progression or content. The games I play to death I play because I like the feel and game mechanics. So maybe I'm an outlier but the feel of sailing, and pvping is what is going to keep me coming back. I don't know maybe I will get bored faster then I think, I guess we will see.

• People don't play games for years because of vertical progression. They play games for years because of the communities surrounding the games.

Take MMOs for example. If someone is not engaged in the community they will leave, come back when DLC drops, burn through the content, get their sweet new raid gear, and leave again.

All vertical progression does is FORCE you to play to keep up with the crowd.

People need to realize that vertical progression is mostly an illusion. Typically, your character gets stronger, but so do the things your fighting.

• @im-axis-rahl dijo en Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

People don't play games for years because of vertical progression. They play games for years because of the communities surrounding the games.

Take MMOs for example. If someone is not engaged in the community they will leave, come back when DLC drops, burn through the content, get their sweet new raid gear, and leave again.

All vertical progression does is FORCE you to play to keep up with the crowd.

People need to realize that vertical progression is mostly an illusion. Typically, your character gets stronger, but so do the things your fighting.

No, sorry, but not, in all those games the progression and the loot is one of the main atractives that makes you to come back with expansions, events, weekly raids, etc.

I am fine with the SoT design and progression but I am seeing that many people is bashing other kind of progressions when is pretty clear that lot of you don't like or know a lot about that kind of games. RPG's and MMORPG's have strong designs.

@uberkull Well, this might be just me, but I don't play a lot of games, I only play a few games that I love to death. The games I played the most I didn't play because of the graphics, or progression or content. The games I play to death I play because I like the feel and game mechanics. So maybe I'm an outlier but the feel of sailing, and pvping is what is going to keep me coming back. I don't know maybe I will get bored faster then I think, I guess we will see.

I do get your point. The ‘hook’ in this game for me was the feel of sailing, the water, and tthe cannon fire. The first cannonball wizzing over your head...wow.

I just worry about how long before that ‘hook’ wears off. Oh gee...another wave. Yea, that cannonball will miss me...yawn.
    I believe there is a lot of honeymoon feeling with this game. But then there are pioneers and founders here who swear by the game’s ‘hook’ and how they still have a drive to play.

I can respect that, but am just trying to ask gamers that set goals in game, what can you see for years in this game?

• @uberkull I totally see where your coming from, and I agree these amazing feelings may get boring the more you experience them again, and again. I guess it all depends on the content, how fast and how much they can release. But in the end, even if I only enjoy it for a month, its still so refreshing to see a game that tried something a little different. At the very least, even in the scale test and betas I had these awesome moments with random players that are hard to come by in a lot of other online games that are new skins on the same game.

• @im-axis-rahl said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

People don't play games for years because of vertical progression. They play games for years because of the communities surrounding the games.

Playing devil's advocate here; most of those games also have in-game communities to coordinate with the communities surrounding it.

SoT is at a big disadvantage in that aspect because you're really just limited to interacting with 4 people in your community at a time.

• @lobofh I've played a lot of MMO's FFXI, WoW (for a long time), FFXIV, Guild Wars 2 and tons in between. I like RPG gameplay. I enjoy skill variety and working with other people to accomplish goals.

"Loot" is the most shallow of incentives. Typically gear does not actually add anything to a game. It just provides numbers that tell you you're better then you were before.

• @lobofh @Im-Axis-Rahl Yea I gotta agree with Im Axis Rahl. I played a lot of WoW back in the day, loot is great, but if you don't have a guild with people you enjoy playing with loot means nothing. The whole game gets boring.

• @im-axis-rahl dijo en Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

@lobofh I've played a lot of MMO's FFXI, WoW (for a long time), FFXIV, Guild Wars 2 and tons in between. I like RPG gameplay. I enjoy skill variety and working with other people to accomplish goals.

"Loot" is the most shallow of incentives. Typically gear does not actually add anything to a game. It just provides numbers that tell you you're better then you were before.

Well, perhaps in some games is like that, but in others the loot is like another game in its own, just one example: Borderlands 2, I clocked 1200 hours playing solo, trying differente builds, searching the weapon X or the shield Y to try a new tactic, etc.

@a13xa4d3r , obviously the social side in a MMO is the most important, agree with both of you.

• @rayfromjersey That is true. And one thing I think SoT would benefit from.

Larger, more persistant servers (somehow) and more reasons to peacefully interact with other crews.

• People complaining about "lack of content" or "lack of progression" have fallen into the trap of thinking that a game needs an ultimate end goal to work towards. It's perfectly reasonable to create a game where the reward is the experience itself, and not the shiny new item or stat you unlocked.

I play a lot of PlanetSide2, a game with both horizontal and vertical progression, but it's not leveling up or unlocking better gear that gets people to keep coming back, but the experience of being in really the world's only MMOFPS.

• Apparently some people need to grow up and realise that other people are entitled to an opinion.

• @lobofh That's why I said "typically" sometimes gear will actually change the way your character plays and behaves. but MOST of the time it's just a way to have bigger numbers appear when you swing your sword.

Honestly, I love SoT, but what I really love is the possibility it brings to the industry. I hope someone develops a game very similar with more survival elements. It would be neat to have to keep your stores stocked with fresh food and retrieve fresh water from islands. Hunting animals when you get low on meat. Harvest and trade for oranges to stave off scurvy.

• Imagining people complaining...

I guess it's up there with winning imaginary arguments while you shower.

Just don't start having a conversation with an empty chair like Clint Eastwood did, he might get away with it, but anyone else might be visited by mental health services.

• @tedakin написал в Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

The more I pay attention to reactions to this game around the net, the more irrational the attacks on it become. What are some of the most ridiculous you've seen? I'll start.

1. Why is it only on Xbox? Why not PS4? That's stupid.
      No need to explain what's wrong here.
    2. 60 dollars? It'll get boring in a month. Not worth 60!
      Yet people pay $60 for single player games they finish in a day.
    3. What do you do in this game? They haven't shown any gameplay.
      Umm..

Because its MS ! :D

• @fat-petti Totally. I've seen people say "This is gonna die because it's only on Xbox. You better put it on Steam and PS4!"

People mock the Xbox for having no exclusives. It finally gets a great one, and they want it on another platform. It's amazing!

• @tedakin You as a player really have no benifit from it being Xbox Exclusive.
    All this does is limiting the potential player pool.

That said, sony does the same thing.

• @tedakin said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

@fat-petti Totally. I've seen people say "This is gonna die because it's only on Xbox. You better put it on Steam and PS4!"

People mock the Xbox for having no exclusives. It finally gets a great one, and they want it on another platform. It's amazing!

Technically speaking SOT is not an Xbox exclusive since it is also available on PC.

• @uberkull said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

@hk6719 said in Irrational criticisms of SOT around the net...:

I honestly see this game as a potential years long game. Really. We are at the beginning of our journey and who knows what else is planned. It's already an open world allowing us to live it however we wish. With whomever we wish. Yar, I can't wait!

And we'll drink to good companions and Irish whiskey neat. We'll drink to wiv and lovers and we hope they never meet.

No troll, really trying to see what other ppl are seeing. Can I ask what your rationale is with the potential ‘years’ of longevity this game will have?

I am playing the game at launch, but am really trying to see how I play this much longer after I get to Pirate Legend. So I see this...

• horizontal progression provides no lomgterm goals or statistical builds to strive for
    • after the initial honeymoon phase of fun, how often can you do the same sailing voyages over and over just to recieve more gold? The ocean will be the same again and again, its not chaning much. Even with special event content, you still are just receiving a cosmetic or gold
    • once you have the look you are after, why grind for more cosmetic items? Unless this is a RP thing, you normally build your hero to look a certain way...or two...and thats it. Is there a acievement for largest closet of clothes? And with the preorder clothes, what if thats your look you are after? You replacing it with a admirals hat, or outfit?
    • the competitive drive. PvP, sink one boat, sink 10, sink 100. After awhile..do you start to ask why bother? Where is the reward for sinking your boat? More gold?

What i am asking here is what goals are you planning for that could make a game with no statistical progression system last for years?

Fair questions but ill ask these in response.

What made Halo (noteably 2 because people ditched 3 for 2) the most popular fps for years? All you did was shoot people with the same guns, there was no rewards.

What makes cod sell in the millions when its the same junk each year but with a different spin "shoot everyone again but in SPACE!!!!" and keeps people coming back every time.

WoW vanilla was incredibly bland yet it expanded into what it is today, you dont release a game these days that has the amount content WoW has now, that'd be nuts if they did though. Instead you build up one, to make sure the game is a success and two, to deliver what the player wants. Which is essentially Rare's plan

Now to answer some of your questiosn, yes the competitive drive will naturally keep people playing, there isnt currently a game based on water that has pvp.

Legendary status isnt the end of the game, its the beginning, thats when Rare will kick things into high gear, granted this likely wont be till the 3 month update when majority of players are legend but nonetheless, theyve stated its the beginning.

Much like what kept people playing in D1 there will be events, new quests, new rewards etc etc as well as small and large updates. The devs arent dropping the game 2 weeks after release. Thus you need to look at it like it would be a vanilla mmo, itll get bigger and better.

Some have tested this game for well over a year with less content than what every got in the beta's, yet theyre still hyped to play, over a year later, on less content. Why? Ultimately its the emotional value, the game taps into something many have not in years, its not for everyone, particularly those that think gaming is a job (not referring to streaming) and that you need to work for everything. Its a true sandbox where we're given the tools but can do what we like with them. Although if you want grindy things some of the achievements will be them e.g. sell 1000 captains chests :)

• @uberkull I definitely see where you are coming from. Without a progression system I can't imagine they game lasting years. My goal in most games is to become stronger by leveling up or completing builds and then moving on to the next build but if that doesn't exist is this game I don't see the longevity.

• If MineCraft had the same amount of public awareness when it was developed back in the days. How much c**p did you all think it would have suffered? Imagine the reviews recived on the wide web.

Yet its a game with no end goal and its succes cannot be discussed.

I am not trying to compare the two games as scuh, I just try to put any garbage this game recive into perspective.

Dont be fooled by those who claim they know games better than you, just go with your guts and play what you belive will be fun enough to spend money on.

Views
1 out of 95