Fox's pro tips & tricks for sloop mastery (50+ tips and tricks)

• Great tips man. But I do have to diss agree on the raising sail yo approach thing. I find it best to raise to half when on approach to the beach then drop anchor. But always lower sail yo full before leaving the ship. This way if I need to make a speedy getaway all I need is to raise anchor and I am on my way. I never use socks for the only fact that everyone approaches the docks first.

• @foxdodge
    Another addition, only for special occasions:
    Instead of going down the ladder from the crows nest, just drop down and double-tap the ladder shorty before you hit the deck. You can grab the ladder at any falling speed without taking damage, so this can buy you some seconds if you see a ship approaching.
    But it's risky: i only recommend to do this when there are no waves. When your ship is rocking from left to right, you could fall besides the mast and miss the ladder. In general this may need a bit of practice to get the timing right and not fall flat on the deck an hurt yourself.

Also i still prefer hiding my ship if i didn't see another ship while landing on an island. The hiding spot at the corners of the map are quite good, espacially on Mermaids Hideaway. You are limited in terms of possible directions, but if you wait for an approaching galleon to land at the island (and you are sure no one shot himself towards you), they will not be able to get their ship going to hunt your little sloop which is already on full speed the moment they see you. Worked for me a couple of times. :-)

EDIT:
    just another addition cam to my mind. If you land on an island using the anchor, you can start turning before dropping the anchor to get the turn done already. Works best with 2 players on a sloop obviously.

• @wolfblood-bill Dropping the sail (when the anchor is raised) is a lot quicker than raising the anchor to start moving. Why not try it out and compare the two methods?

• @foxdodge tbh it's not that hard with a sloop I go through them occasionally solo and never had a problem

• @foxdodge
    Great tips mate, I think this contains a lot of useful information that everyone should know!

• So I had an idea for a random tactic, and was wondering if it'd be viable at all?

Basically assume someone is chasing you pretty much directly from behind or you have the ability to get directly in front of them, would it be viable to do something like jump on the edge of the back of your ship and drop down Gunpowder Barrels as a sort of Mine?

Basically make them take some quick damage to try and stall for time, or make someone go down below deck to fix whatever hole you blew into the ship.

• @sasquatchias said in Fox's pro tips & tricks for sloop mastery (50+ tips and tricks):

So I had an idea for a random tactic, and was wondering if it'd be viable at all?

Basically assume someone is chasing you pretty much directly from behind or you have the ability to get directly in front of them, would it be viable to do something like jump on the edge of the back of your ship and drop down Gunpowder Barrels as a sort of Mine?

Basically make them take some quick damage to try and stall for time, or make someone go down below deck to fix whatever hole you blew into the ship.

Not a random tactic at all, this is what pretty much everyone does. But jump off the FRONT of your ship, so he doesn't see you do it. Also try to climb aboard after you drop the barrel, to drop their anchor and if possible kill anyone trying to repair the holes.

• @sasquatchias sagte in Fox's pro tips & tricks for sloop mastery (50+ tips and tricks):

So I had an idea for a random tactic, and was wondering if it'd be viable at all?

Yes, works like a charm. Especially when you drop the barrel in a tight passage, like the rocks around shipwreck bay or the gap between snake islands. I tested it with great success there! ;-)

@Foxdodge This could be an addition to your guide, unless i missed an already existing entry: never sail exactly behind a ship, because of possibly dropped barrels, always stay a little bit sideways.
    On the other hand, as a hunted ship use the combination of tight gaps and gunpowder barrels, as long as you aren't too close so the hunters can shoot the barrel in your hand without any issues.

• @sirliborius I chose to omit a few things for being too obvious, like "turn off all of the ships lights" or "look through the back of the ship to see the ships map", but I'm considering adding in a few edits. Everyone is also welcome to post their helpful tips for others to see, just as @Sasquatchias has done.

• Actually my number one tip for all sloop players and especially solo players.....MASTER THE CANNON lol.....being the best gunner will save you on and off the seas....remember the first to fire is not always the first to hit.......once you dile it in you have your mark...fire away

• Been awhile, perhaps a 2.0 version to account for the Brig. Great guide.

Views
44 out of 46