Windows 10 users: Be sure to check your NAT type in the Xbox App

• By default Windows 10 is configured incorrectly and does not allow problem free multiplayer or party chat.

Here is how you can check if you are affected:
    Open the Xbox App, click on the little gear symbol at the bottom to open the settings tab and finally click network.

alt text

It's very important that the NAT type is open and not moderate or even strict.

Microsoft explains the NAT types as follows:

alt text

So only if you have an open NAT you can play with truly everyone else without running into issues.

To fix your NAT type follow these instructions: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-multiplayer-game

Especially the part about setting a static Teredo port because by default Windows 10 does not have it set to static and you won't get an open NAT type.
    So simply right-click the Start icon, and then select Command Prompt (Admin) and run the following command from the Admin command prompt:
    netsh interface Teredo set state client clientport=60209

Then check again in the Xbox app if your NAT type is now set to open.
    Also be sure to forward the ports in your router as described in the Microsoft link, and also double check that you did not forget to forward the 60209 port.
    You might need to reboot your PC and router though to see any effect.

I hope this helps people with chat or connection issues on Windows 10.

Views
  • Do you also have this problem with xbox

• Open NAT shouldn't be used on home networks at all. It is a security risk and in some rare cases may even cause you issues with ISP as they may assume you try to use their network for commercial purposes. Some may even temporarily block your from accessing their service (happened to me once several years ago when I tweaked these settings for web dev needs).

Moderate NAT by itself is not a cause for concern, there are probably other factors in play here. I have been playing Sea of Thieves the other day with moderate NAT and had no issues playing and communicating with other people.

Views
1 out of 3