Training with Subzarr [Advanced Swordplay Guide]

• @subzarr Thanks a lot for this, I was always bad at sword fights, since had no pirate to test it on, was just swinging in panic.. now at least I know how it works. :))

• @crude-jc-gamer
    I'll be sure to crew up with you at some point and you can be my spiritual Pirate teacher of the sword ;)

We Iron born need to teach each other the secrets of the sea!

I can show you the secret of the tankard lol.

• @crude-jc-gamer said in Training with Subzarr [Advanced Swordplay Guide]:

@radzz-the-drunk I didn't want the secrets revealed lol now i gotta put up with better fighters.. that i can still probably murder

At least we're still going to have an advantage over the wider playerbase on release lol

• @Subzarr
    Amazing guide matey! You taught me a lot.
    Good to see that pioneers like you give us landlubbers a peek in your vast knowledge of the gameplay.

Very appreciated! I hope to see you on the open seas so we can have a tankard of grog together after you turned me into a kebab ;)

• As of this (Friday March 3) scale test does the jump lunge still work? I can'
    t seem to duplicate it this round of beta.

• @weesalty-mug said in Training with Subzarr [Advanced Swordplay Guide]:

As of this (Friday March 3) scale test does the jump lunge still work? I can'
    t seem to duplicate it this round of beta.

Yep still works, just logged in now and was able to use it fine.

• Just updated this guide. For those who don't want to read the whole thing again essentially.
    -Lunge attack does 50 damage.
    -Lunge attack cannot be blocked.
    -Landing the lunge attack prevents the moving penalty.
    -Blocking the third hit from a combo pushes your opponent back.

• @subzarr said in Training with Subzarr [Advanced Swordplay Guide]:

Just updated this guide. For those who don't want to read the whole thing again essentially.
    -Lunge attack does 50 damage.
    -Lunge attack cannot be blocked.
    -Landing the lunge attack prevents the moving penalty.
    -Blocking the third hit from a combo pushes your opponent back.

Forgive my slowness, but does one need to land a lunch attack on a person to go flying? I've tried so many times to Jump while lunging and blocking but I always lunge and abruptly stop. Help me Obi-won you're my only hope!

• @weesalty-mug Nah you don't need to hit someone to get the boost.

It's quiet hard to get the hang of it, but you'll eventually be able to do it with some practice. Note that the wind up time for the lunge is 2 seconds, so 2 seconds after starting the lunge you need to jump. A tip i can give you is the sound queue, doing the lunge makes a loud Shring noise, you want to jump as soon as this sound starts.

• Just wanted to add my gratitude for this guide like everyone else. Good work my man.

• Oh boy it got updated

• @subzarr I tried out a lot of these techniques and I killed way more people with my sword and actually had some intense fights with the more savy pirates. I use to think it was just first strike stun locks and wins but its way more than that. And I use the sword side step to dodge skeleton bullets all the time now. Thanks for making swordplay fun for me!

• @personalc0ffee yah what a pain in the butt haha I just ran for my life and got shot everytime but this works. I don't have the timing down I just spam it but I suppose if they have a tell or shoot a certain time after aiming you could dodge everytime.

• I couldn't have done the flying dash too. After starting to charge to attack I couldn't jump. And when I tried that while in air (like jumping from some rock during that), it didn't dash me. It just does the attack on the place i currently was (like jumping on a skeleton it looked like i just stabbed him in his head, but not fly through him). I also could block while charging the attack. When I was blocking from the start, I could have gone into charging. But after I started charging I could not have also started blocking. Doing it simultaneously looked like I started blocking but interrupted it and started charging.

• @subzarr Dear Subzarr i'm sorry to tell you but you are only the second best swordsman that ever lived but im glad you want to teach these searats how to be a decent pirate !

In love
    Oberampir (Danny)

• Thanks for this guide, didn't think there was much to sword combat but it seems there's more to it then i thought.

• This guide needs to be made in VR so i can use my $1000 vive atleast once

• @subzarr I didn't see it mentioned, so I'm not sure if you know that there is a parry.

While blocking, you can hit another person's sword and break their combo. You have to be holding block. Then just hit the attack button just as their sword hits your block. You have to time it just right.

Not only will this break their combo, but it will also lunge you forward for a guaranteed counter-attack.

Practice on skeletons for science and see for yourself!

Much Love!

• Wow, thanks for putting this together! So incredibly helpful. Bookmarked to be put to use come launch!

• Any chance a mod could chuck this thread in the new "Guides & tips" section.

• @subzarr your guide is super cool. Nicely done indeed matey. I will attempt to use your teachings well but only after friendly greets don't go so smoothly of course lol.

• @subzarr LOVE this guide. Thank you so much!

• Can't get that jump lunge to work. Any more tips guys

Views
74 out of 93