Your graphics device does not support Shader Model 5. Please upgrade your graphics device to play the game

• I have a GTX 970 in my PC which should be able to run the game no problem. However I encounter the above error message everytime i try and run the game. My graphics card is able to run Direct X 12 and no other games have any problem. Can this be investigated? Is this a bug with particular graphics cards?

Has anyone else come across this? I've tried everything, raised a support ticket last beta with no actual response.

Please help :(

Skaltum

Views
  • @skaltum Are your drivers up to date? It was specified in one of the recent release notes to ensure that your graphics card drivers are updated, this may be why you’re seeing this error.

• I'm running a GTX 970 and I'm not running into this error.
    I always keep my drivers updated.
    I'm using Geforce Experience for the drivers, currently running on 390.77 Released on 01/29/2018

Maybe take a look.

• Hi guys,

Thanks @DHG-IXxRMACxXI and @Destrolock13

Yes, all drivers up to date, am also using geforce experience, reinstalled it earlier to see if there may have been a bug with my graphics driver but after installing and updating again i still receive the shader 5 error.

Because SoT is locked in a windows file i can't look at any of the game files or open them up in a txt editor or anything. I can't even see SoT listed in my Nvidia control panel.

Any other ideas?

Skaltum

• Also I can't believe there isn't a repair option anywhere :/

• Uninstall... reinstall.

Update windows is one option, not a lot else to try.

• I do not have money to purchase a new graphics card at this time. Is there any way the developers could allow shader 3.0 and up to play. Maybe include a launch option, with command line parameters to work around this. This game is the only one I own that I would have to spend at least $150 or more to get a playable graphics card.

• @skaltum i have a Nvidia Gtx 1070 ( all drivers up to date ) and I get this error too. this game is f****d up

• yea getting the same error, sometimes restarting the game for 5-10 times works, sometimes i gotta reinstall the driver i have already installed... pretty annoying error :/
    but in the end i managed to start the game sooner or later.

• I'm also getting this after the 1.0.5 patch or update to my GTX 760 card. First time it happened I know both the game and the drivers had just been updated, but noticed another gfx driver update so installed that and then it worked. This time I tried just restarting the game, but that failed. Now trying to make a clean install of gfx drivers to see if that helps.

There's also a support article stating a reboot might help: https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360000005227-Shader-Model-5

• The clean install worked, but the question is if the problem will return or not...

Views
1 out of 11