Answers to what Newer Players complain about!

• @lumpaywk It sounds like maybe you could use a little time playing with others.. got out of that bubble a little bit maybe? Could do ya some good

• @avecrux really missing the point but thanks for the obvious observation, as if I can't read! The point of a forum is to discuss the game, including any issues, and currently this IS an issue.

• @backstreetboy69 said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@lumpaywk It sounds like maybe you could use a little time playing with others.. got out of that bubble a little bit maybe? Could do ya some good

Sounds like you should stop assuming things about me or who I am.

• @lumpaywk what is the issue? You are talking like you want to start in olympics as an amateur. Sail with your crew, learn how to sail and go for solo sailing then. You will be experienced. You are playing solo since start and whining that someone is better than you.

• @lumpaywk Easy bud. Just go back into your bubble

• @avecrux when in all tell have I ever moaned anyone is better than me??? This is about the bigger picture and I am talking about casuals. I would destroy a crew and sing a shanty on there sinking ship. We ate not the only people that need to be reprisented and as someone who sees gamers who are not quite as good want to play I have input for them.

• @lumpaywk i won't conversate with you anymore because you don't know what are you talking about. 2-man crew/4-man crew are FOR CASUALS. SOLO IS for HARDCORE. EOT. Make your choose, want your wife/son to became hardcore so they need to learn in PAIN.

• @backstreetboy69 wow your not the sort of person that makes games like this toxic

• @avecrux yes I know that currently is is like that. You need to read. I am saying this is something that needs to be addressed and changed. Clearly you have an attitude problem and to scared they may actually listen to the feedback and take away your easy targets.

• @lumpaywk You're very right.. I'm not. I'm a very positive person. Maybe you should give it a try.. you might like it and actually enjoy this game like the vast majority of us.

• @lumpaywk there is no need to change how it is at the moment, it's just your problem, not the majority problem you like. Note that in this topic you area minority that screams. Most players know that playing solo is difficult and only the strongest choose this path. You behave like someone who would like something from the store very much, but instead of going to work and making money, you prefer to stand on the street and beg for money

• @backstreetboy69 I do love the game. That is why I am actively on these forum trying to make it better and more INCLUSIVE for ALL. But if you think your being a positive person you need a reality check lol

• @avecrux j have worked my entire life and bought everything I own off my own back. You need to stop making assumptions about people you don't know.

Also the game isn't perfect right now. No game is perfect that is why they ask for feedback. This is my feedback and I don't get why you assume it acceptable to try and attack me personally just because my opinion differs from yours.

• @lumpaywk You need the reality check my friend. Every post you've made on this thread has been super negative. Not the type of attitude you'd expect from someone who "loves" the game. Smile once in a while. Stop taking things so seriously

• @jamiethe1egend

I think that's a great summary of the main issues which people are discussing on the forums at the moment.

What I would say is that Map Size is a bit of a misnomer, however - Rare have said several times that they are looking at the level of encounters and they have tweaked this many times during the testing phases by increasing and decreasing visibility and detection distance. I believe this is mentioned in a few articles.

It's less about how physically big the world is, and more about the frequency of encounters. We have an exact ratio or metric on how many islands there needs to be, how many outposts there needs to be, to guarantee that average 15 minute to 30-minute ship encounter time. That's something we're iterating upon in the technical alpha.

There are currently three subtly different biomes in the game right now, Shores of Plenty, Ancient Isles, and The Wilds – we don't mark them on the map – but one's more ancient civilization, one's more Maldivian white sands, one's more dark and oppressive. I'm sure beyond launch we're going to expand the size of the map, as we grow. We'll look at increasing ship numbers per world.

The vision behind the Sea of Thieves world, griefing protection, and more

1. Solo Vs. 4 person crew - I personally play solo most of the time and have to say I've had some great battles with galleons in my sloop. While the galleon is faster on full sails the sloop is a maneuvering machine. I've pulled the anchor drop turn many times while watching the opposing ship fly past. It's quite fun.

As far as cannon on cannon battle a head to head fight is a bad idea. Being a successful pirate Captain on a sloop while solo takes cunning and a PHD in avoidance. One must deploy unorthodox tactics for victory (I'm not sharing mine).

1. Safe Zones - No, just... No.
  • @katttruewalker I wouldn't mind the map being the same size it is now for release to be honest.

• @lumpaywk said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@avecrux as with all things it's possible some people may find it easy but we are talking about a game aimed at a very wide demographic of gamers. I personally have no issue going solo my 10yo son or my wife on the other hand do. Why should they feel excluded or put out just because you want easy pickings?

As I said before it's possible to get a whole in one playing golf. I seen it done. Does it mean we should all be able to.

They feel excluded... well, maybe they are! This game is not for everyone. Doesnt have to be made for everyone. Accept that.

• @kigretheviking said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@lumpaywk said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@avecrux as with all things it's possible some people may find it easy but we are talking about a game aimed at a very wide demographic of gamers. I personally have no issue going solo my 10yo son or my wife on the other hand do. Why should they feel excluded or put out just because you want easy pickings?

As I said before it's possible to get a whole in one playing golf. I seen it done. Does it mean we should all be able to.

They feel excluded... well, maybe they are! This game is not for everyone. Doesnt have to be made for everyone. Accept that.

Article 1
    The Sea Calls To Us All
    Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.

• @lumpaywk said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@kigretheviking said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@lumpaywk said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

Article 1
    The Sea Calls To Us All
    Everyone is welcome on the Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.

Well thats great but it doesnt mean you actually feel that way once in.
    And thats ok.

• @jamiethe1egend said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

Solo is unfair and bigger crews destroy 1 man crews
    Answer - Don't fight bigger crews and run away or try to outsmart them by luring them to other ships. - If these methods don't work then play with other players and don't play alone.

Outpost Camping is a serious problem!
    Answer - You are wrong. If you see a ship at an outpost, you have plenty of time to decide to go there or head to another outpost. Use your head.

PC Gamers destroy Xbox Gamers
    Answer - This isn't CSGO, there are no crosshairs and the guns are very different than actual FPS Games, and Cannons and Cutlasses are easier to use with a controller. (I played with both)

There is nothing to do!
    Answer - I will give this in steps.

1. Its a beta, they are testing the raw mechanics and databases.
    2. They have shown and spoken about upcoming features that adds more things to do.
    3. SOT is a great sandbox to create your own entertainment in.
    4. Ship Wrecks, Kraken Hunting, Skeleton Boss Hunting, Voyages, Titles to earn, Players to plunder, clothing to acquire, events, secrets hidden on the map, the goal of becoming Pirate Legend, reputation. - (These are just some of the things they have announced in the game.)
    5. Make Friends.

Griefing is a problem
    Answer - Not everyone you meet, wants to be your friend or trust you, but there are players who do and yes there is nothing to gain from meeting enemy pirates at the moment so the Risk outweighs the Rewards in trusting enemies. We do not know what they will add in the future so keep your complaints to a minimal and don't just give up on the game before release.

The Map is Too Small
    Answer - There is no guarantee that the map will increase in size, but remember that this is a beta and that the developers have been and are still debating the size of the map and to make sure that players don't get overwhelmed or bored from too much sea.

What is the aim of the game?
    Answer - So far what we know is that there are titles and rewards you receive for reputation from the trading companies. Rare has said that the end game content will be like starting again with the updates in the future. So your known goal is to work with the trading companies and become a Pirate Legend. Where you will be able to get legendary voyages and rewards.

[Sanctuary Of The Damned] Our Alliance's Discord - https://discord.gg/6NyAZyB

Cap'n Jamie, like it sir....

• The game is still a mess though, the combat is clunky as hell, swordfighting is horrible and unbalanced. The open world is empty and lifeless (animals don't help).

There really is no point to this game, so what if you have a title? It's just cosmetic and the core grindy and dull gameplay loop would still remain the same. Who cares about being pirate legend when the most you'll get out of it is longer quests which give you more gold which you only use to buy skins? No one and it will certainly not sustain a long term playerbase.

PvP is an utter mess with that terrible respawn system and feels pointless since the most you get out of it is chests which amount to nothing but skins.

Clunky gameplay, a dull, repetitive gameplay loop, bland open world, pointless PvP and superficial progression. There really is nothing to do and neither is there anything to aim for, it feels very underwhelming as an experience since combat gameplay is horrendous and the islands are not more than treasure digging places rather than a thriving living place.

• @arnavmode248164 I like your post, what improvements could you suggest to make better.

• There are a great many people who don't know what a beta is, because of all the games being sold as 'pre-release' and staying that way for years. cough Arc cough

Beta is still in testing. It answers questions like

• Can the servers handle the traffic?
    • What do our users think?
    • Does the thing do the thing?
    • Was the last few years worth it?
    • Oh god, is anyone going to notice that bug I forgot to fix?
    • Should we call that a bug a feature? Maybe it's cool....

Playing a beta and complaining about lack of content and refining of mechanics is like biking into a steak and saying "Gosh, why is there so much meat in this thing?"
    The best thing to do is offer specific feedback to the developers and what does/doesn't work.

Like "I don't like the fact that people can sink my ship and steal my treasure. If you let me rebury it after running away, it would be a little more fun."

• @arnavmode248164
    "The open world is empty and lifeless" (animals don't help)

• You are stating this, but we haven't even seen the full game or had the animal capturing quests, so your opinion is invalid at the moment.

"So what if you have a title? It's just cosmetic and the core grindy and dull gameplay loop would still remain the same."

-Yeah you are so right. Titles mean nothing that's why in Overwatch, Fortnite, Csgo, League of Legends and every MMO you play for skins or titles (ranking system) Titles will be to show how long you play the game for, if you are experienced and if you are generally good at the game.

"PvP is an utter mess with that terrible respawn system and feels pointless since the most you get out of it is chests which amount to nothing but skins."

-Again literally every other skill based game has this system where you get rewarded skins from either lootboxes or winning games. For your question about the PVP, you are wrong actually. When I first played this game I thought (being a pc player) that the PVP was clunky but as you play more and more, you realise that its a balancing choice and it feels natural extremely quickly.

I think Sea Of Thieves isn't the game for you. I see posts like this complaining about the world not being vibrant enough. (which is totally wrong)
    There are raids that bring players together to fight against PVE, a Kraken Boss that you will get rewarded from, Titles to show how much you play the game, a large variety in quests which if you played, even in the Scale Test you had riddles, treasure hunting and skeletal boss fights and voyages found around the map in bottles, there are sharks, fish, beautiful scenery and ambience, ship battles that are competitive and thrilling, ship wrecks, hidden ruins and interactive weather. (So you are clearly wrong bud) and what kind of player you are. And these are just some small aspects to the game. I feel that you probably tried to play this game alone and got destroyed because you were new to the game. As with many other games, the more you play, the better you get.

• @jamiethe1egend
    "Yeah you are so right. Titles mean nothing that's why in Overwatch, Fortnite, Csgo, League of Legends and every MMO you play for skins or titles (ranking system) Titles will be to show how long you play the game for, if you are experienced and if you are generally good at the game."

All you've listed are arena shooters, titles make sense there because you play 10-minute matches in order to better your stats, get skins and rise to the top, you are in this infinite loop in the pursuit of acquiring skill, skins, ranks in these self-contained 10-minute matches.

Sea of thieves is an open world action-adventure RPG that can only be compared to Destiny and even WoW or Black Desert all which have a vertical progression which can then be put to the test in raids and PvP, there are actual cool quests, it's an infinitely satisfying loop because there is always that one gear set that has amazing stats, that one pet you need. Sea of thieves has none of that, it is an MMORPG but without any objective to work towards.

It is not an arena shooter, nor a match based game, it's an open world RPG complete with grindy quests to do and mediocre PvP. Skins don't work in this game at least as the end aim, the game needs far more than titles and skins to keep people playing.

• @arnavmode248164
    Clearly you haven't been keeping up to date because the whole progression system of the merchants lead you to becoming a "Pirate Legend" which gives you a new legendary ship and more quests? You are trying to say the game is a waste of time where in reality its that you dislike the progression system because you can't get stupidly op the higher levels you go. It's skill based. The END AIM is to grind through the quests and to find the way to the Pirate Legend's Hideout where you can get *Rarer quests with rarer loot and cosmetic skins and titles and a Legendary Ship. Do your research before you post!!! 0_1519570922090_af7e0bf0-f0d1-4dd8-9bac-d5b1b5c4ed6f-image.png

You are complaining that their BETA with less content than the full game, hasn't got enough content. You can't decide that until the full game is released and shouldn't p****o the game before full release and we can see and test all the content.

• @JamieThe1egend Guess what the "rare" loot gets you, it's gold. And guess what the gold is for, skins. You see, it's utterly pointless when the end result is getting skins.

• @arnavmode248164 said in Answers to what Newer Players complain about!:

@JamieThe1egend Guess what the "rare" loot gets you, it's gold. And guess what the gold is for, skins. You see, it's utterly pointless when the end result is getting skins.

Nothing is set in stone yet. I've read about so much stuff I haven't seen yet.
    'Clunky combat' I agree with.

• @arnavmode248164
    Are you apart of Rare or the Development team? No.
    So you don't actually know what rewards might come out in the future. Yes Cosmetic is the main focus. But you will end up unlocking more cosmetics and better looking things as you progress. I know people who play games just to unlock cosmetics. And didn't you see that you get another ship for becoming a Pirate Legend? That's not just cosmetic.

Do you play games only to get op items? How about playing the game because its raw mechanics are fun. Which they are. The game is fun, and you get cosmetics for it and there will probably more types of gamemodes in the base game when it releases. They already said there will be events that happen in the world.

• There is a vast difference between, "everyone is welcome" and "everyone will love playing".
    Not everything is for everyone. While there are adjustments that developers can realistically make to their games, there is also an overall vision that they mustn't abandon, as well as the limits of feasibility, and realistic timeframes, that they cannot change.
    Some people may never be happy playing a game ike SoT. Others will. It clearly involves a bit of cut-throat PvP and it clearly excludes xp - character-skill-improvement - loot progression.
    And, I dare say, some of us LOVE these aspects and the diferences this game has from many other games that follow those listed formulas.

There is also no reasonable, or feasible, way to make a solo sloop equal to a 3-4 person galleon for this game, beyond what they've already done. The swiftness of the sloop has to be used to full advantage... and the playstyle of being in grave danger, at any moment, must be adopted (and enjoyed) for anyone playing this game without a full crew. And, yes, that might mean it's not for everyone.
    I can understand some people's reactions, though. SoT sparks the imagination and definitely made me realize that the gaming world could use an mmorpg something like this. So, I can see how others may view this as a missed opportunity, in a sense.
    Instead, I just see it as a unique game that Rare wishes to make, and I see a lot of potential and, personally, look forward to experiencing the journey.

• @lumpaywk I find your commentary in this thread to be mindful and mature. Thanks for speaking up. I don't expect this forum community to connect with what you're saying as it's clearly not what they want to hear. In any case and whether I agree with all your ideas or not, count me in as at least one person that's respectfully listening to what you're saying.

I hope we get to hoist a grog together soon. See you in-game!

• Well R.I.P. my FAQ...

Views
question
67 out of 68