PC - Bad Performance

• Hey,

I have pretty bad performance since a while (insider/pioneer).
    I have:

970GTX 4GB
    i7 - 6700K (4Ghz)
    16GB DDR4
    SSD (Samsung EVO 850 500GB)

And yet the game only runs on 60 FPS on CURSED.
    On MYTHICAL I get a about 25FPS.
    With every tier higher I lose about 10FPS. And VSYNC on or off does not change anything.

The requirements are way below my specs, does anyone know what this is?

Views
  • @necrostatixnl

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    i5 - 3330 (3Ghz)
    16GB DDR4
    SSD (Samsung SSD 850 PRO 250GB)

FPS 60 - i dont see any problem.. yeah, it is littlebit laggy sometimes but it is stress test and it is BETA.

• @NecrostatixNL What resolution are you running MYTHICAL at? Also, there is an FPS soft capping issue that Rare has finally admitted exists that they're supposedly looking into.

By @Teddy-25 from a comment on PC Gamer:

Posted February 9, 2018
    "Soft capping is new, I noticed this myself the other day. We have the test team looking at it as it didn't used to be the case so is either a regression or a bug. It's logged in the database so we are working to resolve it."

• @daimyo-dorima I'm running 1080p (1920x1080)

• @jannu80 On what setting?

• @necrostatixnl if u mean my screen resolution then it is 1080p (1920x1080)

• @NecrostatixNL Yeah. That looks to be the soft capping hitting you as well. Make sure to file a support ticket with your settings and a dxdiag file attached so Rare can get this sorted out.

• @jannu80 No like graphical settings (cursed / rare / mythical)

• @necrostatixnl Legendary - i think its medium settings because if i click right cursor then it changed mythical.

• Yeah, this test is very bad on FPS. And on top of that walking around the lower deck of the ship makes the character walk as if it was getting glued to the floor. FPS drops are a new thing. It didn't happen in previous tests.

• Make sure those drivers are up to date ;)

• @monkeyyak

When heading below decks on your ship, you will intermittently stutter and slow down, making movement difficult.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/31193/release-notes-scale-test-0-4-0

• @daimyo-dorima said in PC - Bad Performance:

@NecrostatixNL What resolution are you running MYTHICAL at? Also, there is an FPS soft capping issue that Rare has finally admitted exists that they're supposedly looking into.

By @Teddy-25 from a comment on PC Gamer:

Posted February 9, 2018
    "Soft capping is new, I noticed this myself the other day. We have the test team looking at it as it didn't used to be the case so is either a regression or a bug. It's logged in the database so we are working to resolve it."

Just to confirm; this was not a 'final admission'. Sea of Thieves has never had any form of soft-capping. In a very recent build vsync stopped working properly and is giving the same feeling. At this stage if you're suffering with odd frame rate performance I'd recommend turning vsync off and setting the fps to unlocked. We are looking into it.

• @teddy-25 Thanks for replying.

I have neither FPS lock nor Vsync on. The framerate locks at 60 on cursed.
    Yesterday with every graphical setting going up I lost exactly 10FPS. Now for some reason, Cursed and Common give me 60FPS (note that FPS doens't fall, nor ever goes up on cursed). And with Rare and up I get 30FPS. It won't ever go above 30, indicating that there is indeed some sort of framelock.

Both Vsync on and off, and a combination with Framerate lock doesn't change anything for the better.

• @necrostatixnl We've been looking at our code and can't see anything that would cause vsync to have regressed in such a fashion. We're starting to think this may be an OS issue with the culprit entering Windows 10 build 1709, which version of Windows 10 are you on? (Type winver into the start menu to find out easily).

• @TEDDY-25 Never run with Vsync on and frame lock is always off. Though I'm running version 1709 now, the softcapping has been happening since the version 1703 builds.

Also, the way you responded to that comment on PC Gamer made it sound like soft capping had previously been a part of the game. What with the use of the word "regression" (to return to a previous state).

• @daimyo-dorima Thanks for the reply. Had you ever played SoT with a Windows build pre 1703 that you could compare the experience too?

Perhaps the wording was bad on my part. Internally we use the term 'regression' to define something as having taken a step back to a less developed state. In this example; 6 months ago we turned on vsync and unlocked the frame rate without issue, but those two features now have issues. This is a 'regression' in our eyes.

Still, perhaps a good little insight into how we reference and act upon things internally!

• @TEDDY-25 I did play sessions with version 1607 prior to 1703 being pushed to my system. Unfortunately I didn't have a frame rate monitor that would work with a UWP game until after the 1703 update. So I have no data on what my frames were in builds prior to 1703. First game build I was able to run an FPS monitor on was, I believe, Update 0.1.4. You should be able to find that in your Technical Alpha archives under: PC Technical Alpha Update 0.1.4 - August 22nd thru 27th, 2017 - Report. I was running a GTX 780Ti at the time. Since then I've had two changes in GPUs: GTX 780Ti to GTX 1070 Superclocked to GTX 1080.

• @TEDDY-25 Apologies guys, I've a question that is slightly related if you could shed more light on it (we need someone to eventually!): Is the 'performance counter' setting going to be brought to the console version so that we too can see our current framerate and ping? And a lot of us are asking for a 1080p/60 option on Xbox One X to slightly better compete with those on PC.

We hope in the future to have both. Would be terrific.

• Man I play with 40 fps and Im fine lol.

• Strange, i pretty much have the same system the only difference is my CPU i7-3770k(3.5 GHz), and i get 60+ stable 1920x1080 MYTHICAL

• I was getting poor performance too, especially in Outposts or on islands with a lot of scenery. There were FPS drops averaging about 20fps creating a jarring/stutter effect when entering shops or exploring areas with a lot of foliage.

2560x1440
    ryzen 1800x
    vega64
    16gb ram @3200mhz
    windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248)

the spec chart says with my rig and using the mythical setting I should get 60fps at 4k but I was only getting around 50fps at 2560x1440p

Dropping water from mythical to legendary showed no change in fps, going from legendary to rare gave 20fps boost
    Dropping lighting was giving 10fps per tier
    Having shadows maxed helped keep FPS stable (but lower)

at sea I could have everything maxed out and was averaging 110FPS maxing out at 129

• I had the same issues you were having (Soft-capping at 60FPS while v-sync and frame were unlocked) I found out that :

1. If you run the game in windowed mode at 1920X1042 (there is no windowed-fullscreen) I get uncapped fps and the FPS average is 60 on mythical (compared to around 30 fps in an outpost in fullscreen)

2. If the resolution you pick is the NATIVE choice instead of 1920x1080, you fix the soft-lock,I get the 55-60 Fps is outpost (not the 30FPS i get on 1920-1080) and the game is no frame-locked at my monitor refresh rate.

Took my a lot of testing to actually fix my Fps issues but that did it. It's still running 1920x1080 at the native choice btw.

• interesting thread.
    im on a 3 year old cpu (dont know which) and
    gtx 1070
    16 gig ram
    ssd
    played stress test on 4k mythical

i dont know the frames but it didnt stutter one bit. perfect performance. i guess its all about gpu.

• Yeah the softcapping has been an issue since 1703.
    I've read the issues occur in windowed fullscreen and it helps if v-sync is off, fullscreen optimization & gamedvr is disabled

• i was pretty reliably getting 60 fps on legendary at 1440p with ryzen 5 1600 @3.8 GTX 1060 6gb 16 gb of ram

• @cpt-peach-beard AMD will have a new driver update on launch day, and I know they've found a great win in performance in those. Vega64 is close to 4k/60 most of the time with these additional optimisations.

• @teddy-25 Can't wait :) Sea of Thieves is so much fun

• I have the same system as you except I run a GTX 1070. I run a locked 60fps on Mythical and never see it dip. I suspect that your graphics card is your weak link.

• I have a i7-6700k 16 gig ram and RX 480 GPU. I have been having issues with jitters going down stairs since the 2nd stress test. On this 3rd stress test the boats seem to go faster, waves. The jitter lag is more excessive and falling off your ship as a single player there is no hope getting back on in the middle of a dog fight. Or boarding their ship in this anarchy. The game has become boring. This is even before release.

• Game has been running GREAT for me this weekend. Buttery smooth frames all over the place, getting 80+FPS on Outposts and Islands with lots of scenery (trees, campfires), 100+ everywhere else. Except underwater which gets 60+ FPS. Even the weird slow down that happened while strafing seems to be gone.

2560x1440 - Mythical settings
    ryzen 1800x 4.1ghz
    vega64
    16gb ram @3200mhz
    windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248)
    on M2.NVME evo960 500gb drive - Idk if that's relevant but others are posting their hard drives

• There was definitely something going on. I narrowed it down to the lighting detail.

With lighting detail on anything other than cursed...50pfs. With it on cursed...100fps...which is max for me.

Even at 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, I should definitely be able to max this game out...and I could on the first beta round.

7820x @ 4.8GHz
    1080 ti FTW3
    32gb @ 3600MHz
    2 x 960 Evo m.2 Raid 0

• I was running game on Mythical. But where do you guys see what FPS your running? Also I don't remember seeing any FPS setting to choose between 30, 60, unlocked etc? I'm curious on how you did this folks? Can anyone assist?
    Cheers,

• @boost-king said in PC - Bad Performance:

I was running game on Mythical. But where do you guys see what FPS your running? Also I don't remember seeing any FPS setting to choose between 30, 60, unlocked etc? I'm curious on how you did this folks? Can anyone assist?
    Cheers,

the FPS counter was somewhere in the in game options on PC, hit escape go to options and look around, it's in there somewhere I just forget exactly where.

if you go to options > video settings (or graphics I forget) you will find the options to lock/unlock your frames.

• @cpt-peach-beard said in PC - Bad Performance:

@boost-king said in PC - Bad Performance:

I was running game on Mythical. But where do you guys see what FPS your running? Also I don't remember seeing any FPS setting to choose between 30, 60, unlocked etc? I'm curious on how you did this folks? Can anyone assist?
    Cheers,

the FPS counter was somewhere in the in game options on PC, hit escape go to options and look around, it's in there somewhere I just forget exactly where.

if you go to options > video settings (or graphics I forget) you will find the options to lock/unlock your frames.

Thanks for that. Will check next time its up and running.

Views
15 out of 44