List of News Articles - February Press Embargo Lifted

• The halls of Rare have been packed with press the past couple of weeks and today, February 13th, the embargo on their coverage was lifted.

We will be compiling all the articles that are a result of the press embargo lift in this mega-thread. If you come across something you can post it here and we will add it to the list.

Otherwise, feel free to discuss all the juicy details here! Definitely quote articles to give context to your comments but please refrain from posting the whole article in this thread.

IGN:

Windows Central:

The Verge:

PC Gamer:

Eurogamer:

USGamer:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/13-02-2018-sea-of-thieves-post-launch-dlc-roadmap

DailyStar:

The Guardian:

Techradar:

CogConnected:

Kotaku:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/02/creating-stories-together-sea-of-thieves-the-happy-accident-machine/

Gamereactor:

Metro

Wired:

Forbes:

Engadget:

Views
  • This all sounds so good I can't stand it. The raids where the giant skull appears in the sky is sick.

• I’m liking the ‘select your pirate’ idea with having multiple pirates to choose from

I’m sure there’s a pirate for everyone.

The Tavern of Legends, another place to work towards, giving legendary voyages! Legendary ships with different customisation! The Kraken! Things made of Kraken Bones, dressing like skeletons! Gotta go read more! So many things to look forward to!

• ' "When we bring in monetization systems, it won't impact power, it won't impact progression – people will know what they're buying – so no loot crates. We want to add fun social things that really have an emotional value, rather than a functional value. We're going to let people buy pets. We'll treat them in a fun way, they'll be with you on a ship – I'll be able to pick it up and run off with it because they'll be physical objects. I can hold your monkey, or hold your cat and run away with it. If I put it down, it'll come back.

Pets will be our first feature that will allow players to spend additional money. We'll treat it in the right way, and I want to be able to fire pets out of cannons. I'll fight tooth and nail with our design team to get it done. A cat will always land on its feet, of course, because it's a cat … it's just a bit of fun and silliness.If you bought a pet, other people should be able to mess around and use it and experience the joy of it – it should add to the fun social silliness of the game – it's not necessary and won't bring a mechanical benefit." '

The vision of pets is amazing! I will happily pay real money for one.

• and I want to be able to fire pets out of cannons. I'll fight tooth and nail with our design team to get it done

haha!!YAY!!

• @ionei-falcon After reading all the new info... I knew rare would deliver. My preorder from day 1 still stands and why is the 20th so far away ! :(

I just finished watching "Black Sails". Anything else i can do till the 20th ?

Kudos "Rare" .. keep doing what you are doing!

• Fantastic! Thank you for posting these! I'm chomping at the bit now..

• @qm-ginger-beard
    Hopefully hair colour comes as a changeable after item. Then you can have the ginger beard you have always dreamed of!

• I must say I am a little disappointed. No attackable merchant ships, no npc's that actually contribute to a storyline etc. It is the beta with more cosmetics and microtransactions are on the way. Also no upgrades rule makes the game much less appealing. If they wanted to keep experienced players from having massive advantage over new players, they could have implemented the same inventory system in minecraft. When you die you drop all your items. Lets say found a legendary pistol that gives you a speed boost when you are holding it. When you die anybody can take it from the ground and you receive a standart pistol when you respawn.

• "Pay to win is completely out of the question."

"What I will confirm is there are no microtransactions for launch. At all," design director Mike Chapman tells us during a recent studio visit. "Based on us continuing to build this game, we'll probably consider some form of microtransaction. What we will say is there will never be loot crates in Sea of Thieves."

• In other words, there will not be any loot boxes. Instead, you will be able to purchase a pet. These pets do not offer a mechanical advantage, though they will bolster the game’s social nature, your pet interacting with your avatar and your crew.

“It’s fun for everyone, regardless of whether they were the one who bought it or not,” Neate explains. “So if I have a monkey, I can hold it, because it’s a monkey and we can hold most things in our game. But you could also hold it, then you could run off and drop it over the side [of the ship] because that's funny.

We're also looking at what's our first major update to the game. For now, the focus is on the best launch experience possible, no question, no argument. As we move into our service, probably three months after launch, that would be when we first our first major significant update, outside of smaller things here and there.

Pets will be our first feature that will allow players to spend additional money. We'll treat it in the right way, and I want to be able to fire pets out of cannons. I'll fight tooth and nail with our design team to get it done. A cat will always land on its feet, of course, because it's a cat … it's just a bit of fun and silliness.

• @ionei-falcon Thanks for compiling these! Save me time searching and straight to hyping!

So much to take in! AAAAAAAH! The first crew to the legendary hideout is going to feel amazing!

• @ecljpse We'll keep adding to this through the day and try and highlight answers to the Community's recent concerns for those who might not have time to read.... such a lot of reading! If you see anything relevant, feel free to post it here too!

• Looks like there's a lot to digest here, thanks for collecting it all into one thread. I'll have to read through it in the morning.

• Wow thanks for the info loving the pirate legend concept. A little gutted I wont be able to create my own chracter but hopefully Rare will generate one I am happy with and that is unique, don't want to run into my twin☠ Even more excited about playing the launch can't come soon enough for this old sea dog 🐳

• PvE-only areas
    "Never," says Chapman.

Actual loot, not just chests you can sell
    "There are treasure artefacts in the game for launch that aren't in a chest. That's in the game for launch."

More pastimes and activities when you're aboard
    "There's more of that for launch with the animals and all the fun encounters that can happen when you're on the ship, but even beyond launch we'll add more in that area, undoubtedly."

More songs, possibly tied to quests
    "100%. Will happen," says design director Mike Chapman."

Lots of ships to choose from
    "Will we do more ships in the future? I think so, I think there's a possibility. We'd look at it for sure."

"I ask Chapman if more styles of ship will be added, not just ships determined by the number of people aboard. "I think so, I think we'll look at that kind of thing. There's some plans about how we extend the gameplay post-launch that ties quite well into ships, but no definite plans at the moment."

Custom persistent servers and mods
    "We have talked about it," says PC design lead Ted Timmins. "The thing that gives me great confidence about Sea of Thieves is we're 150+ updates into a game that isn't even out yet, and when we talk to our community, we do try to say, 'we might not have everything you want at launch, but we're pretty good at listening and acting and very very good at updates'."

There's a much wider discussion to be had around that kind of stuff, because the way that our services work, they're all quite expensive, dedicated servers, because when we had initial discussions, [we decided] players prefer dedicated servers, let's totally focus on that. But then if you were to have a private server you could effectively be the only person in that server at a huge cost.

"So, yes, we're talking about it, and is there more to talk about? Yes. For now it's about matchmaking with your crew and friends. That's our initial goal. And beyond that, we'll look to alliances and potentially guilds or factions or whatever we term it in Sea of Thieves."

• @lizalaroo that's the part I hate. I and my wife were really looking forward to a character creator. We always spend hours in those. Random pirate generator sucks IMO.

• @captain-surgee For me it adds to the funfactor... I like character creators myself and when playing games i spend quite some time creating the perfect character for me.

But in SoT I had big laughs with my friends seeing what pirate they ended up with. (Hey look you're that skinny guys who looks like his head got stuck between a door... shutup you're that fatguy again :D ... i'm buying a dress this time :D :D )

• @incentio other games offer RANDOMIZE button. SoT could do the same and make everyone happy. The game says "become a pirate legend" but it seems it should be "help your selected pirate become a pirate legend". I think it's a big b****r. It seems like they didn't have enough time to make a real character creator and came up with a quick solution.

• @KattTruewalker
    I hope you don't mind me adding onto the list of FAQ being discussed in the articles.

Ship Captaincy from Windows Central
    "A few months after launch, Rare is planning to drop its first major update, which will bring in a new system called Ship Captaincy. You will gain access to a new ship that will also sport unique forms of customization. Players who encounter you on the seas will know simply by looking at your ship that you're a veteran player. The impressive styles that will come with Legend-level customization should alter the dynamics of your interactions with other players.

Players who have ascended to the hideout and have become Pirate Legends will later be able to become Captains, and this is where Rare will shift the focus from personal Legends over to crew Legends, allowing groups of players to become feared on the high seas, adding in new systems for dedicated teams. This will form part of the future content, as Rare moves the game towards the 'Golden Age of Piracy.' "

• Character customization

Edit more info -

....you begin in a tavern, with eight procedurally-generated pirates to inspect. They’re created based on twenty different parameters - everything from age, to body shape, to overall ‘wonkiness’ (essentially, how asymmetrical they are) - leading to a “practically infinite” number of variations. If you don’t like the 8 you’re shown, you can regenerate another 8 as many times as you like until you find a favourite.

Just make sure you’re sure you want to spend hours with your pirate - you never get a chance to alter their physical appearance again.

IGN A Rogues' Gallery

Sea of Thieves won't have dozens of sliders and dials, allowing you to finely tune the shape of your nose or cheekbones. Instead, Rare has attempted to strike a balance between customizability and accessibility.

When you initially make your character in Sea of Thieves, you will be presented with a carousel of eight, completely randomly generated pirates, pulling from a potential pool of millions. The idea is that no two pirates will look the same, even if, like most players, you simply hit the "play now" button and go with whatever design you're given.

Additionally, Rare will let you reroll the pirate generator carousel an infinite number of times until you find the pirate that's right for you. It's important to note too that hitboxes will be normalized, so picking a smaller pirate won't help you.

Be wary though, once you pick, that's it, you become locked in, and that character becomes tied to your gamer tag on Xbox Live. Rare wants player identity to truly matter in Sea of Thieves, to the point where specific players will be recognizable from their character models alone.

Windows Central

• I feel that this is also important to reitterate.

The morality of pirate ganking at Windows Central

On the topic of mechanical skills, accessibility, and crew-based play, some have expressed concerns how easy it is to grief other players in this game, killing them over and over, stealing their chests, and so on. Is that sort of play "okay" in Sea of Thieves?

"It's an interesting contrast. On one hand, what we're saying is that we want to be the most welcoming and inclusive multiplayer game ever – on the other hand, we're giving you this rich immersive world where you can step in and roleplay "pirates" with your friends. We've made decisions where all quest rewards are physical, and all of that stuff is never truly yours until you get back to the outpost. We believe in the paranoia of having that stuff on the ship because you know that someone can come and take it."

"We've deliberately said that we don't want to have safe zones – that's why we give you a spyglass – that's why we put the right number of outposts around the world so you've got the choice. Can I see masts there? Do I go there? Is there gonna be people there? All that paranoia is what leads to the drama, that "high high." To have that "high high" you've got to have the "low low." One of the things we've strived to do early on strikes the right balance of "loss." "

"Some of the multiplayer survival games we were looking at previously – such as DayZ and Rust – they had that drama, but the lows were so cripplingly low, you'd play for hours and hours and might lose absolutely everything. For us, we feel that we've struck the right balance for our game – yes you'll feel a sense of loss, which I feel is critical to a game where you'll feel a wide range of emotions. You don't want it to be this pure power fantasy where you're never getting better – you want to feel that you've bonded with your ship, and feel something as it sinks below the waves. You want to feel like it's part of the adventure."

"That said, we'll try to do everything in our power to get your adventure going again. Yes, you may lose the chests on the ship, we're not going to take your accrued gold away, anything you've purchased away, or your voyages, or your reputation. All we're going to take are the deferred gold locked in the chest, bounty skulls, or animals, that feels like the right balance to ensure that you've got that paranoia that we treasure, you've got the pirate story, scanning the horizon all the time trying to look for potential enemy sails."

Edit: Oops, almost forgot an important paragraph. I didn't edit this one for brevity, because this topic requires a more lengthy answer in my opinion. Sorry!

• @katttruewalker I think this is great, surely it gives more uniquely generated characters and combinations that player would most likely not put together, however I know there are some of you who would like this option.

Rerolling if your not happy until you find what's right for you sounds really great, although long winded. If some of you like me are indecisive and being told there are no further options to change once your character is created is quite daunting. It also makes me think about who my pirate is actually going to be, what I want him/her to look like and how I think they should be seen within the world.

I cannot wait to achieve legend status, imagine having a HUGE ship with un/limited customisation. I for one will be pushing to be one of the first in that spooky tavern >

• This was very disappointing news.
    Not even a real character creation. Repetitive quests, and then some more "legend" repetitive quest.
    And we have to re customize the ship everytime we play.
    That will just end up that no one doing that. It was just to much to re dress the character every game in the beta.
    The one thing that could have made this game feel a bit personal and interesting.

I so wanted to tell everyone how wrong i have been about this game.... Sadly i was right.

At least i know now, this is not a game for me.
    Skull and Bones here we go.

• Everything in here is amazing but character customization is complete garbage.

This WHOLE GAME focuses on the pirate YOU WANT TO BE and I'm limited to having to click a re roll button until I get a pirate I like? What if I find one I kind of like but a better one is going to appear on the next re roll? I don't understand why they went this way when they push having your own pirate experiences, but then I can't make the pirate I truly want. People have been talking about on these forums on and on about how they want to customize their characters in a Creator and this is the way they went instead.

Everything else in here is great info, but I truly hope this character creator is changed at some point in the future.

• @captain-surgee I'd give it a chance me matey, you might be pleasantly surprised. :D I remember (back in the day lol) making my first pirate on POTCO, it was an event to be sure, seemingly spending hours getting her 'just right'. Looking at what will be available there's sure to be a pirate for everyone, even if we cant pick every nook and cranny of our pirates make up :D

• @lizalaroo Was looking forward to making my owm pirate but willing to give it a try☠

• @bedgroover72 Glad to hear it me matey! Don't knock it til ye've tried it eh?! Not exactly what I wanted either but I'm hoping I will be able to find 'MY' Pirate within the gazillion choices :D

• @lizalaroo
    I hope there will at least be some way to narrow down the search. Because i definitely dont want to spend hours clicking next hah

Edit: I should elaborate. Like, for example allowing players to narrow the search by pick male/female and then a kind of body shape. Or something like that. Although, I'm sure there's more to it than what that picture shows. But a small change like the one I suggest would, hopefully, go a long way in making players feel like they have more control over who they are.

• Server Size

It's never been quite clear how many players will be able to fit in a Sea of Thieves server, and it turns out there's a very good reason for that -

The developer's focus is on keeping player encounters regular, but not too frequent - the magic number is apparently to see another ship, on average, every fifteen minutes to half an hour, making every encounter different, as well as giving non-violent players the chance to escape.

The upshot is that, practically, there's no hard-and-fast maximum or minimum number of players in one Sea of Thieves server as long as everyone's still hitting that magic number, and it should never really feel like you're being placed and replaced into new versions of the world.

SEA OF THIEVES HAS A VERY SMART APPROACH TO SERVER SIZE

Why Crew Size is 4 Players
    Sea of Thieves will launch with a maximum crew size (and therefore party size) of four.

"If the two of us were to go out to the pub together with two other friends, you've got that intimate relationship, you're all getting on together. If it becomes six or eight people, you start getting people splintering off and it's really hard to communicate - four seems like the magic number."

SEA OF THIEVES DEV EXPLAINS WHY THE MAXIMUM CREW SIZE IS 4 PLAYERS

Crew Management?

One element of how crews work will change from the beta to the main game, however. One player could now sail a four-person galleon alone, using the game’s “Make Friends” emote to manually gather a crew. On the other hand, four people could use one small sloop – Chapman explains that this could even be used as a surprise attack tactic.

Sea of Thieves Dev Explains Why the Maximum Crew Size Is 4 Players

You can try manning a galleon alone, log out, and then over-fill a sloop with four players

IGN

• @incentio read treasure island, I am

• @lizalaroo Yea, I'm sure everyone will find their pirate, I just can't think of any excuse for this decision other than the game launch deadline. SoT is all about freedom and creating a character I can identify with is a must for me. I'd love to see how creative people can get with a real character creator. I'm afraid to tell my wife about the random pirate selector. Don't wanna get her in a bad mood or I might not get food for a week.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. So I get few random pirates to choose from and then I think, almost good but not quite...I press the RANDOMIZE button again and it shows me another set of characters that I don't like. I do it for 10 minutes and realize, hey this is as good as it get's I want the character that was there 2 rolls ago.but I can't go back, so I keep on re-rolling for the next hour until I finally get something I'm "OK" with. A really bad idea in my opinion that will lead to a lot of frustration. All of this could be avoided by simply giving us an option to create a pirate ourselves. Sorry to be negative about it, but someone has to :P

• @erinom3 said in List of News Articles - February Press Embargo Lifted:

@lizalaroo
    I hope there will at least be some way to narrow down the search. Because i definitely dont want to spend hours clicking next hah

Edit: I should elaborate. Like, for example allowing players to narrow the search by pick male/female and then a kind of body shape. Or something like that. Although, I'm sure there's more to it than what that picture shows. But a small change like the one I suggest would, hopefully, go a long way in making players feel like they have more control over who they are.

If I was given the option to narrow the generator to only giving me a specific gender, body type, and skin color and pick from the variety of these options I would be much more satisfied with this character "selector". At least then I can compare what I want to what I want instead of hoping nothing better comes in the next re roll.

• @psych0-knightro
    Most definitely. And while I know that they want players to perhaps pick someone they normally wouldn't, they should also know how much players love creating and picking their character. I think giving players some more control over the type of characters they're given to pick from would be, somewhat, of a compromise for those who are unsatisfied or who have concerns.

It would also be really, really, nice if you could select a few characters you like and compare them before you make a choice. That would, in my eyes, really help towards making a decision you are satisfied with.

*Edited for clarity

Views
1 out of 138