5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic)

• Id want that gunboat!!

• @Jedi-Jez

I know everyone here is excited for Sea of Thieves, but accept the game for what it is... not what you want it to be (within reason; it's fun to think of fitting additions).

The set up we have now works for everyone, with a slight advantage towards the 'intended' grouping of four players on a galleon.

The core foundation of this game (the 4 player coop galleon experience) works and that's great, the question is now how far can you push that in either direction. I think RARE opened up this can of worms when they introduced the solo ship, and I agree with the decision. There is a reason I held the line at 5 ships, and discouraged people when they pitched lots of different ships with all their real world differences (like splitting hairs between schooners, brigs, brogues, frigates, 5th rates, etc) To me one brig ship in the game would do well to represent all those playstyles. I really think we can have a 5 ship meta in SoT, but no more than that. I think even asking for 3 is a lot.

• @shoothere4exp

Only issue is that we need larger server populations, maybe even a larger map as well.

• @casesugar401098

I absolutely agree. I thought the map was going to get 4x as big based on hearing the devs talk about the 4 seas (Blue sea of plenty, the wilds, etc.) I thought what we were seeing in the beta and scale tests was just the blue sea of plenty, However I noticed in the recent scale test that all the seas were labeled on the map and that it had not gotten any bigger. Do we know if the map in scale test was the final size for launch?

• The Dev's previously hinted the map was to be larger, in both these videos on their Youtube Channel.

: https://youtu.be/z5_NmS0D9Nc?t=64 from Sea of Thieves Inn-side Story #12: The Wider World

: https://youtu.be/qEe1qUy5jz8?t=2915 from Official Sea of Thieves: Tales from the Tavern Podcast - Episode #14

• @shoothere4exp I love this, and need this

• Dope as hell

• I would love to see theses ships

• Amazing models! I would love to see these implemented.

• Oh Wauw we need this!!!

• I feel that the two current ships would be enough for the game, but agree that at least up to 6 can play on a galleon.
    That said, I do like this idea. I also feel that the stats for each ship fit very well and would keep the game balanced.

• @shoothere4exp Good Idea with the multiple ships except for the stats that you assigned each one, the speeds should increase with size and maneuverability should decrease with size otherwise your taking away any advantage a man o war would ever have, because they would be outran by every ship in the game. If you have no hope of catching up with players it would make the ship for aeshetic purposes only with no upside over a simple sloop. Please revise your stats to fit the current mold of the game otherwise your ships would be nothing more than giant paperweights.

• @Ben-Bosek I appreciate your input but respectfully disagree. One of the biggest complaints about adding larger ships is their ability to overwhelm smaller ships, adding small speed tradeoffs to me seems like a reasonable way of balancing. There are plenty of scenarios a Man O' War could still take on other ships, in fact it would probably find itself being swarmed by smaller ones.

Perhaps the answer is to have all ships travel at roughly the same speed, but the amount of work required to get a ship up to top speed is higher on the larger ships. Perhaps the larger ships can go faster like you've suggested but it requires all sails to be squared up with the wind.

@Striader5 Thank you, I like the 2 existing ships but for a game about pirates I find it sad to imagine that they are only going to be our ever 2 choices... that the only ships I will ever see on the horizion will be the big one or the little one. I would be happy with at least 3 (3 is a great number) but I think the game could support up to 5. I really don't think it could support any more than 5 because new ships have to justify themselves with meaningful game-play differences... any more than 5 would start to blend together. And yes 6 can play on a Galleon... but it isnt a challenge. Having a 6 player ship thats a challenge to sail but rewards that teamplay would be great.

This game thrives on its ability to generate new and unique moments... I believe having 5 UNIQUE PLAYSTYLES of ship would do much to add to the game's existing thrill. Currently taking on a Galleon in a Sloop is a thrill, but what if your Galleon found itself going up against a huge and rare Man O' War... it becomes an emergent PVP boss battle just like the Kraken is an emergent PVE one.

+Adding new ship types would help with creatinga better variety and hierarchy of shipwrecks... larger ships have chances for more loot

• Absolutely loving the idea.

• @LaughsManiacaly Is this less stubby? I decided to do a thorough redesign of the hull

Started a new thread for this Fan Creation Model below:
    alt text

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/33746/3d-model-6-player-ship

• @shoothere4exp
    Now that's a real beauty.
    She's wonderfully curved with a large brest, that architecture is on point with some beautiful flare of design and a very desirable rear end.

Very eager to see more interior, and yes i just poped into the specific thread for this. Some great design inside. Can't wait to see more.

• @shoothere4exp

Bloody
    Brilliant

• @ShootHere4EXP
    Out of interest, where did you get the stencils from or did you make them?

• Even if it may not be able to support 5 ships, I absolutely think it could support 3. I'd love to see a Brigantine or Barque type ship presented as something to fit between the Galleon and the sloop, partly because it was my favorite class of ship from that era.

So yeah, that's basically everything I'd want to see if SoT expanded it's ship types.

• Hello,

Great thread, awesome ideas and work @ShootHere4EXP!
    I too hope that Rare adds more boat types later on this year.

Cheers!

• I would love for one of the ships to have a ram

• Would love a junk!

• love what you did, but the sloop is a bit too underwhelming

• @laughsmaniacaly I made them myself! ButI used a lot of ingame images as reference

• I think all of these are fantastic, and would bring a lot of versatility and different playstyle options to the game. My crew and I would go junk all day every day, but I also sail solo sometimes, and if more of our friends joined it'd be great to go bigger.

For a game built around making friends and communicating on the open seas, this would go a long way toward the longevity of Sea of Thieves.

EDIT: for those worrying about 6 man crews on man'o'wars, did you see the proposed stats? They're slow as hell. I can already juke a galleon crew out of thier shoes when I'm solo in a sloop. I wouldn't even have to try very hard to outrun a man'o'war.

• Holy s**t, that's a lot of comments. I havn't read through all of them mind you guys.

I'd love to be able to see some actual diversity in the game aside from cosmetics!

But I thought I'd add in another problem to the really big slow ships. (Man o' war)
    They kind of force you to pvp, as doing quests would be so much slower than with all other ships. I really wouldn't want to be on one and travel across half the map to find another treasure chest or chicken. Merchant quests would be especially annoying on them since you can't hoard chests. (Which would be effective since you could probably sink anyone trying to attack you.)

Also, when it does force you to pvp, it seems really hard to actually catch up to someone with its speeds. It feels like a ship that is more suitable to the other warship war simulator whatever it was called. World of warships? Something like that.

On the other hand...I really friggin love the idea of having new ships, and it's impressive how fleshed out the concept and concept art you have created is. Sincerely hope some of your ideas are actually implemented in the game!

Hugs 'n' kisses
    Cpt. Lancia

• @sir-lancia said in [5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic)]

But I thought I'd add in another problem to the really big slow ships. (Man o' war)
    They kind of force you to pvp, as doing quests would be so much slower than with all other ships. I really wouldn't want to be on one and travel across half the map to find another treasure chest or chicken. Merchant quests would be especially annoying on them since you can't hoard chests. (Which would be effective since you could probably sink anyone trying to attack you.)

I don't blame you for not reading the whole thread but you do have an original point here and its a good one; having a larger crew and ship with lots of guns incentives that crew to favor PVP action...(especially when you consider the groupthink that happens in large groups, tends to favor combat) I don't think this is neccessarily a bad thing, as long as the ship is uncommon (I've suggested that matchmaking not be used to sail it, that instead you need to set sail in a 6 person party) then it should offer large crews who maybe want to focus on skeleton forts, krakens, and raiding other ships a unique almost raid level pvp experience. I can imagine lots of smaller ships both Galleons and Sloops teaming up on the ship., and it becomes a PVP boss battle for them as well.

In regards to this being more for world of warships... I get the sentiment but this is really a silly comment for so many reasons I really shouldn't have to mention... in short apples and oranges man.

I appreciate that you like my work though and that you're interested in seeing it implemented, I don't have all the answers as to how this could fit in the game, but I do think that we've learned from the popularity of this thread that having more ships is an aspiration for the community, and I would love to see Rare's take on how to satisfy this aspiration while not compromising the flow of Sea of Thieves they've worked so hard to fine tune to this point

• @shoothere4exp That is a really interesting solution! That sounds like a lot of fun! Well done :D

Well, obviously I don't get what's wrong with the comment about it fitting world of warships by just saying it's silly...Clearly I havn't played that game. It just seemed like a pure battleship, not for questing and PvE. On the other hand the solution you proposed definitely fixes that :D

I'm sure Rare has seen this thread by now :D

Hugs 'n' kisses
    Cpt. Lancia

• @shoothere4exp Im all in if this game releases the frigate and the man o war

• Really really awesome and a great job on all...
    Only one suggestion...
    I think a fourth mast or sail on the Man O' War would be good to distinguish it from a Galleon from a distance or on the horizon....

• More ships or two ship groups I just want to play with more than 4 players.

• @shoothere4exp

All of these ships are amazing, a shame that Rare probably won’t even consider introducing any more ships. 😕

• @lukzini said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

@shoothere4exp

All of these ships are amazing, a shame that Rare probably won’t even consider introducing any more ships. 😕

First content update 3 months after launch will allow players to reach Legendary Captain status, which brings with it a new ship that will be distinct enough to be instantly recognizable by other players.

We don't really know any more than that about it currently. But we do know that Rare has plans to introduce at least one other ship.

• Yes please

• Awesome job...love it.

Views
256 out of 415