Why Solo Playing Isn't Impossible

• Introduction

I have been playing since the last Technical Alpha test (day in and day out) as well as a great chunk of time this Beta so far. For the most part I have spent all those hours/days as a solo player. I've heard so much from the rest of the community especially new players about how this game is only co-op or above only. You could not be more dead wrong.

I think I've had my finest moments playing alone. It's not at all hard once you get your bearings on the sailing mechanics. For those of you who are having trouble getting away from larger crew ships, here are some tips:

(Keep in mind these are most effective against Galleons/3-4 player crews)

Tips

1- Learn to use the wind effectively. If you're trying to get away from an enemy ship, especially a Galleon; having the wind in your favor helps you put lots of distance between you and the enemies. Galleon's commonly have problems with catching all of the wind to stay faster than you (3 sails to angle).

2- One of the most important tactics to learn is what I like to call: "Anchor Turns." Doing this maneuver will help you make sharp 180-degree turns and instantly. I use this turn a lot when I want to juke out ships by rocks or if I want to turn and broadside their bow or aft. To perform this you must let down your anchor while traveling straight, then immediately turn the wheel all the way to the direction you want to turn. After that, quickly raise the anchor and continue to onward.

It should look a little bit something like this:
    [https://youtu.be/Ys-VbJjnNw0?t=2m19s](link url)

3- Make sure to pick up Gunpowder Barrels. They rip apart boats with a big bang! They could potentially knock off other pirates as well. All you gotta do is let them loose in the water to the ship behind you. Keep in mind its more accurate the closer they are to you.

4- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Look for ships whilst you're sailing and before you anchor at an island. Having knowledge of other ship's locations will help you map out where you should go and to avoid (in the first place) being spotted.

5- This is a more direct version of number 4: Don't sail into outposts where other players already are. For all of you complaining about being "griefed" and being taken out at an outpost: look where you are going. Everyone in the game is a pirate. They all want treasure or to sink your boat to the bottom of the sea. You can't blame them for taking easy pickings.

I want you guys to come up with some tips that you guys have and I'll add them to the list.

Personal Triumphant Stories (not enough time to type them all):

First day of this Closed Beta I was being chased by a 4-man-crewed Galleon with 4 treasure chests on board. I took the direction of the wind and wrapped around an Island and headed straight towards some Giant Rocks in the ocean. As I wrapped around one-side, anticipating they will be expecting me to pop out on the other side of it: they headed towards the direction they last saw me pointed towards. While behind the rock, I quickly used an Anchor Turn and set sail in the direction I came from. This gave me a great deal of distance between me and the Galleon as I made my getaway for the Outpost. I knew they'd eventually catch up to me and I wouldn't have enough time to drop off all my treasure, so I did what any sane pirate would do. I dropped all my treasure off onto shoreline of the outpost, then lifted my anchor and hopped off my ship. The Galleon proceeded to chase my treasure-less/pirate-less ship off into the distance while I cashed in all my hard earned treasure. Times like these let me appreciate the game and the ability to outsmart even the largest of crews. Trust me, you feel the most triumphant when you succeed as the underdog.

During the Technical Alpha I lured a 4-man-crewed Galleon into Thieves Haven after being chased for 20 minutes. I had 10 treasure chests on me and I wasn't going to go down without a fight. I left my ship just at one of the exits within the Island. I proceeded to take a cannon that was mountain on one of the ledges within the Island. As the Galleon entered, I let loose all the cannon balls I could and then jumped onto the ship. As half the crew was unloading the treasure from my I ship, I took out both pirates that were busy repairing. Once the ship sunk I stealthily got back on my ship and set sail away from the island, waited till they spawned a new ship, and happily cashed in 22 treasure chests.

Let me know some ways you have outsmarted large crews.

Final Words

I don't want other players to be discouraged from purchasing the game because they think it is so heavily crew reliant. It is not at all the case and I have enjoyed myself playing solo more than I had playing with a crew. I want other players to post their own thoughts, tips, or stories to help show the community that pirating can be a one man job!

Views
  • So for a solid half-hour today I was pursued by a 2-man ship. I ended up giving them the slip by sailing in between a cluster of rocks, performing an anchor turn and then going back the way I came. I ended up forcing them onto the rocks as I rammed them, allowing me plenty of time to run away while they set about patching up their ship and getting off the rocks!

About another half-hour later, I teamed up with two other sloops to sink a galleon. My ship sank, but I returned afterward and we managed to sink it!

Views
1 out of 2