Sail Damage

• Are we able to shoot different types up ammo, example like chain shot, and grape shot for close quarters and disabling sails?

Views
  • Not an insider but from the videos of gameplay I've seen, cannonballs are the only form of ammo for cannons and sails can't be damaged. I definitely like the idea of damaged sails slowing down a ship though.

• Ya I fear the same thing, I also have watched a lot of videos but wanted to ask in case I just missed it. Maybe it's possibly in the works. Shooting the sails is definitely a viable strategy though.

• @madame-ching Could be added in beta, launch, or further, wouldn't be surprised.

• i wonder if it slows down as water is taken on below.... may prevent a need of sail shot. Along with other shot comes all sorts of other rebalancing aspects. plus you have to add ways to repair the sails. and you'd have to perhaps add extra cannons.. i mean, its a nice idea... would make it more difficult too since you have to find all your ammo on other islands and you dont start with any (i think)...

I think the game is a happy level of complex without getting into too much stuff that new players would be overwhelmed by. We'll see what happens!

• @haze-grey yeah, when you are taking on water the ship slows down(didn't test it but it sure felt like it did).

Currently, you could not damage sails, but I too would like to see that. Also, chain shot is talked about alot on the forums, but not sure if it will be ever added. but we´ll see :)

adding more cannons means that you need a bigger crew on the big ship, ever manning those 4 cannons is a pain when in action. Nobody to steer the ship.

• They fire from the same cannons, just a different ammunition. Hopefully at some point if it's possible.

• @madame-ching Variety is the spice of life; and at least from a cosmetics perspective, a priority from Rare. They also don't want more longtime players to have an inherent gear advantage against other players. That said, variety doesn't need to mean advantage, and I know I personally am hoping we see that variety carry over into gameplay.

• I guess I would like sail damage, because it doesn't give either team a edge or advantage, it is all about timing and skill to achieve the desired result and it's the captains choice to deploy them or not.

• Having sail damage is something I did add to feedback early on in my time on the Alpha. It would be awesome to have that premise of extra damage, either to the sails or masts. The masts is a massive change and I'm guessing borderline impossible with the game design but sail damage would be a great addition.... here's hoping! :)

• @sniperwolf-uk said in Sail Damage:

Having sail damage is something I did add to feedback early on in my time on the Alpha. It would be awesome to have that premise of extra damage, either to the sails or masts. The masts is a massive change and I'm guessing borderline impossible with the game design but sail damage would be a great addition.... here's hoping! :)

i honestly thought they would add this by now

seeing as how the -redacted-

just rememberd i cant even type like 80% of what i want to say because they closed the alpha section and im assuming the NDA is still in effect regardless

• sail damage would be great. currently battles seem to be a lot of jousting, and either ship can start running at any moment.

if there was some way to immobilize ships it would lead to more interesting combat.

either letting the sails/masts take cannon ball damage leading to slower speed, or maybe some way to grapple and tether ships together leading to a melee skirmish to decide the victor.

it would be nice if respawning has a limit if your crew dies too many times in rapid succession, allowing an enemy to achieve victory and then loot planks, bananas and cannonballs

• @madame-ching said in Sail Damage:

Are we able to shoot different types up ammo, example like chain shot, and grape shot for close quarters and disabling sails?

Sadly not at the moment but I really hope that this becomes a thing you can do. I can't imagine a pirate game without this. Consequently, you should have to repair sails with linen if they get damaged.

• @maeode I agree and love those ideas! I'd love to see a cannon ball take out a Sail or something! Blowing holes in the bottom of a ship & scooping the water out will get less exciting after awhile...

• @madame-ching unfortunately from current released content... No.

This question has come up a few times in the forums and inevitably boils down to a single issue. You currently have a finite amout of space both in inventory and physically boxed off on ship, both visible from various clips on youtube.
    If we were to add mast or sail damage how would we repair them, obviously with cloth but then how would you access the damaged area. One suggestion was climb the ladder with sails reefed in. Effectively, stop fix continue, which seems a bit clunky when compared to other mechanics.

The biggest drawback that I've seen was inventory as for this you would need: cloth, grape shot, chain shot allong with all we currently have. And this doesn't include what devs are suggesting for current equipment extras like the musket and spyglass.

Don't get me wrong, I've asked for this myself and wholeheartedly support the feature but the repair mechanism would need to be ironed out to be effective. And some sort of interchangeable equipment inventory interface thing would need to be considered.

Views
5 out of 15