What are the musical instruments for?

• This has been a big question for me. I have seen a lot of videos now and I was never in the beta so my question is; what are the musical instruments for? The only use I have seen so far is to like unlock gemstones to get to treasure but I see the people in the video go out of their way while on the ship to sit there and play on their musical instrument. I am just thinking; why are they doing this? What is the reason for it? I would think people would get tired of hearing the same thing over and over and I also think people would want to wield something else to be prepared for a fight. I would much rather spend time talking to my crew on the mic and getting to know them better rather than sitting their playing my instrument annoying everyone on the ship with the same music they have heard probably a million times before. So I am just wondering there must be a reason; what is it?

Views
  • I tend to see it as trolling crew in the brig as well as raising the crews spirits through the dare devilling storms. It's also great just to listen to a sea shanty whilst you are yer voyage.

Have you tried playing the instrument whilst drunk yet? ;)

• I would think it would tend to still get old to hear it on every ship you get onto although I must admit playing an instrument while drunk may be hilarious a couple times. :)

• Well considering the songs were in Alpha, i'm sure there will be more in Beta, if not after release.

• @wdsnav91 It never gets old. It might when we can play anytime after release, but the right shanty really sets the mood. They're also useful to send your ship to a watery grave when you log off. I use them to signal friendliness to others without a mic. I use them to troll crews whom I've boarded. It's truly amazing to have the music in this game. It would be much more boring without it. :D

• @whenkoalasattak said in What are the musical instruments for?:

@wdsnav91 It never gets old. It might when we can play anytime after release, but the right shanty really sets the mood. They're also useful to send your ship to a watery grave when you log off. I use them to signal friendliness to others without a mic. I use them to troll crews whom I've boarded. It's truly amazing to have the music in this game. It would be much more boring without it. :D

Oh so its like a hey I got you hehe twiddle twiddle. :D

• @wdsnav91 Musical instruments are for unlocking puzzles for quests.

But there than that they are for fun... Once a shanties is starting anyone within range will sync up and play the same tune.

It can be used to show your friendly as well.... Pulling instruments out instead of a gun or sword is a good way to show your intentions. Though don't rely on this as most people may shoot you anyways, specially if they have treasure to turn in at an Outpost.

We presume that Rare will periodically add more shanties to play as the game develops.

Drunken, dancing, singing pirates is always fun just in itself lol.

• @wdsnav91
    Its fun! To be able to get woozy from all the frog then play your Hurdy Gurdy thewrong way while attempting to walk onto the deck of you ship and gallingof the getting eaten by sharks that scared the living Davy Jones out of ya’. (From personal experience)

Just like the game itself, it’s there for fun!!

• for playing music silly

• In the beta, I did it just to set the mood while on the waves I normally played alone and while I was moving from the map to the wheel. Sometimes I would just let the boat move forward by itself while I was on the mask just playing music

• When your chasing someone listening to the right tune (all you alpha testers will know it!) It feels epic!

• @jaydizzle-g said in What are the musical instruments for?:

When you are chasing someone listening to the right tune (all you alpha testers will know it!) It feels epic!

you are right on the money! :D

• @WDSnav91 @Mad-Jack-Ketch definitely going to be more songs. Probably ones you can purchase or unlock and new instruments. I don't know for sure obviously but this would be wicked.
    As @Lucky-Monkee said, it really does add to the atmos. I also like dropping in and out with the hurdy gurdy/concertina (if that's what it's called) to give our shanties a slightly different dynamic. Yes, I get a kick out of that.

• Entertainment baby that’s what its for music soothes the savage beast but it also stirs the soul

• A BIG CUP OF GROG is my musical instrument !
    And when drunk im the best musician from all the Sea !

• lol drunk musicians. I guess it would be a good way to indicate friendliness but I think I would like to go oh twiddle twiddle at first then when they get close...Psych! Pulls out gun BANG BANGlol

• I can’t wait to see what other instruments they bring out

• I wanna see war drums at the very least!

• @wdsnav91 Nah dude I had my instrument out at almost all times. The music, especially when the crew harmonizes, really brings out some of the best moments in the game. Sometimes the best parts of a game are the times when everyone comes together.

• Yea hopefully they will come out with more instruments and songs to make it more interesting. If there was a lot of variety that would also help a lot to keep it from being the same.

• I imagine an entire crew would have to play a song to summon some sort of sea creature, i dont know why i can see that happening..or osme sort of undead ships but since there is no AI ships im not sure.

Views
1 out of 21