Alone on a wide, wide sea! - Collected hints and tips for the solo pirate!!

• As it says on the tin -here be a place to tell yer fellow single-handed scallywags all the secrets, shenanigans and stories o' how ye've succeeded on the High Seas!

I've taken the archived post and summarised here the suggestions and ideas from our fabulous Community -

♦ @Psych0-KnIghTrO ♦ @TheJollyGrim@JetOrchidee97 ♦ @DevilsTassia
    ♦ @Erinom3 ♦ @McPoopy7000 ♦ @Lavaskull01@Vilksian@Ever-Reddy
    @Ant-Heuser-Kush@Bandaido@xReDx-HaRlOw ♦ @CheatingPirate
    @erikinthebakery@A-Cranky-Eskimo@esbenesa ♦ @AssassinsKing98
    @IceMan-0007@Mr-Cow-plop@LogansDadToo@Tre-Oni
    @DrBullhammer@Hambergurler@Galghumor@Pentax25@Bronzed-Johnson
    @JerichoXGaming@RGBKnights@RodriMViana@Deadly-Hawkins
    @RockinAmadeus@Urthirz@hallower1980 ♦ @SoulEaterSt1ch
    @Trilligium ♦ @Bimmerphile1 ♦ @MetalSarDog@Program-024
    @Xc0nSnip3r616@Cold71@ImOnOne2800

Enjoy!

1. TL;DR here!

2. First time aboard a small ship? Hints and Tips here!

3. Combat Tips Here!

4. How t'enjoy yerself at Sea Here!!

Views
  • TL;DR

If'n ye be short on time an' want t'be plunderin' straight away, try these two summaries o' tactics n' strategies.

@RGBKnights - 'Hints for the solo pirate!

Goal:
    Have a goal when you set sail. This will focus your objective and make the whole thing feel less overwhelming.

Ship:
    Know your ship! You have it do it all yourself so make sure you run through the following:

The length and deep (how close can you come to islands, other ships, etc)
    where is everything (supplies, map, lanterns, ammo, latters, supplies, cannons, etc.)
    find the best views (where can you stand, how much can you see, how much is missing, and how quickly can you get back to the helm) different viewpoints have different trade offs (crows nest, front, back, etc).
    Learn the damage position and how long they take to really put you in trouble.
    Learn the quickest way to bail the ship.
    You do not have to sit on the helm the whole time, nor should you. Use those view points to keep watch!

Combat:
    Go read about naval combat there is lot to learn from history and I see people put new spins on old tricks all the time, but I will try and summarize below:

The small ship is slower in speed but faster in turns. Use this when attacking or retreating to keep the advantage on your side.
    Small ship is harder to see (with lights out). Use the natural terrain of the island to hide the silhouette.
    Use your faster turn rate to keep on your enemies stern and beam reach away if you need too.
    Watch our for boarders!
    Use hit and run tactics, if the larger ships get too close its all over.
    Storms:
    Just don't do it~! Avoid at all cost. Use at ones own risk. Should seriously come with a warning label...

Parking:
    Park with the sails not anchor. This makes your get away much simpler and a lot faster. Use the natural terrain of the island to hide the silhouette of ship keeping you safe at a distance. Always be aware of where you parked, note is on your compass, so if you need to get back to ship in hurry, you know just where to go.

Treasure Hunting:
    Learn the map, learn which places people are sent to more often then others and try to avoid routes that interest with these places. When you do go a shore keep a eye on your ship and another on the horizon, you must be your own look out. Generally, stop at an outpost after each chest, to minimize the chance of lost.

Learn to get interesting about where and how you look for treasure. Lots of islands have random treasures that are just siting about waiting to be discovered. Do a fly by recon mission into an enemy ship when they are parked, seal what treasure they have and hide it on the island, teleport back to your ship, and return for it later. Don't get greedy!

Chests are not the only source of treasure in the game! Go hunt for lore, Easter Eggs, and immortalized players.

Ship Hunting:
    Not all pirates need be enemies, some are friendly! Some times is worth the risk to sail up and introduce yourself. Many friends, alliances, and general good times have come from these encounters and even some times after doing battle!

Supplies:
    Gather what you need for the type of mission you are on. There is nothing worst then stocking ship only to have to sink /scuttle it a few minutes later. Which brings me to next point don't be a afraid to scuttle your ship and get a new one, there are any number of reason to do it, and what do you have to lose, its just you and your own goals.

Music:
    One can feel all alone on the high sea. Combat this with playing some music.
    PRO TIP: If you don't want to sit there with your finger on the trigger grab a rubber band.

@Xc0nSnip3r616 -

'*A. The first thing you are going to do it start sailing towards an Island in the distance and keep the ship going straight.

*B. Then pull your sail up just slightly so it still looks full but allows the ship chasing you to start gaining very slowly.

*C. Once ship is about 10-12 sloop lengths behind you adjust your course slightly to avoid the island pointing it in a direction that your boat will not crash into another island for a long time.
    At this point the other ship will be close and have to do the same to continue pursuit.

*D. After you quickly change course run to the front of your ship and wait for the other ship's nose to rise over a wave making them loose visibility of your ship. Then jump off the front of your boat and start swimming toward theirs. When their nose goes up they lose visibility to see you jump off.
    Try to stay under water until close to the boat or they can avoid you. Although avoiding you in the water is not as effective it still makes them make slight adjustments and lose a little forward momentum.

*E. Swim towards the side of their ship so they will pass almost right over you.

*F. Grab the ladder!!!! This is the most difficult part

*G. If this goes to plan the player should still be on the wheel trying to adjust to follow you. They will not see you come up the ladder on a sloop. But you have to be more sly with a galleon. Kill the driver (and other crew if needed) and turn the ship around or drop anchor etc etc. Then shoot yourself back to your ship, get a mermaid, or die a warrior's death.

*H. Once back to your ship put full sail, change course, and try to break visual contact with islands. If against an other solo person then you should be free of said person. If against a crew you should now have a good lead on them. With a Galleon changing course into the wind at this point it a good idea.

This tactic has worked a lot for me as the constant harassment of their ship puts them on edge and makes them weary of course changes. I would say not to use this more than 2-3 times on a single ship. Especially a galleon as they can man the ladders and just kill you. Galleons this works about two times. The harassment if done right can allow you ample time to get away.

• First time aboard a small ship? Hints and Tips here!

♦ @Psych0-KnIghTrO - 'Many people feel the need to be at the helm at all times, and thus believe that it's impossible to do all the other things on the ship. Leave the helm alone, the ship will stay it's course. Bail water, patch holes, and then go back and do minor corrections. Once you realize you don't have to be on the helm all the time the sloop becomes a lot easier to handle.'

@Mr-Cow-plop - 'The small ship has a golden handle on the wheel that gives a 'bump' on the controller. This locks it in place allowing you to stay on course. You can even see the map by looking over the railing.'

@Cold71 - 'As others have said don't spend 100% of your time on the helm. Outside of that I always recommend doing a few circles around and island before parking some place out of sight. Since you'll have no one to guard the ship or keep an eye on things it's double important to make sure you'll have enough alone time to get done what you need.'

♦ @Bimmerphile1 - 'Another tip for someone sloop sailing:. Always raise the anchor from behind the wheel, facing it. This will make you do one complete circle and then pop out right next to the wheel for quick control.'

@Tre-Oni - 'The crows nest is a massive help I've found.

Alot of times on my own if I've got a good stretch of sea ahead of me and nothing I need to worry about hitting I'll let the ship do its thing and sail itself in the direction I pointed it at while scoping every possible angle from the crows nest. It's saved me from alot of fast approaching ships.

Getting down is fast as well even with the ladder so if there's an emergency you should see it well before its too late to get down.'

♦ @McPoopy7000 - 'To expand on that: Set your course and get headed in that direction, then be sure to put the helm in the forward position (indicated by controller vibration) before you step away. Otherwise, you'll end up getting turned around really fast if you're not actively steering.

Also just a simple "trick" I guess: When timed just right, you can jump over the railing in front of the helm and grab the ladder leading up to the crow's nest without having to go down the stairs to the main deck. It's only a couple seconds saved, but I'm a sucker for efficiency.'

@LogansDadToo - 'A skilled helmsman or woman should be able to 'drift' into the intended place if you raise the sails in advance! There should be no need to use the anchor at all.'

@JerichoXGaming - 'I don't think anyone has said this one yet... But when sailing at night, if you are concerned about visibility and stealth, turn off your torches all over your ship, the render from the glow and light can be seen farther than your ship actually can, so turning them all off is really no disadvantage to you, and you'll be able to sneak up on people, or sail more safely if you're just on the horizon of some "on the lookout" pirates.'

@Urthirz - 'One thing I did when I was about to log out but wanted to delivered the booty was this fun little prank I pulled on a galleon that consisted in cruizing by an outpost and quickly jump off with the chest in-hand Buuuut I did leave the small ship in a way that would continuing sailing without hitting anything .. Then I proceeded to deliver the chest and wait behind a rock as I saw the other crew of fools follow my bait :D They continued sailing chasing down ma' ship unaware I was in the Island :D It was quite hilarious :D'

@TheJollyGrim - 'Anchoring and Departing to seek treasure on an island.

When you arrive at an island, to stop in your intended place, you often need to use the anchor. After anchoring furl your sail, and then raise the anchor again. You can turn your ship in a good direction for a quick escape with the anchor raised. Make sure to turn your sail in a direction that will catch the best wind once it is unfurled again. This will allow you to board your ship and unfurl the sail for a quick departure with your sail already aligned at the proper angle (barring a shift in the wind).

It is important to consider the side of the island you anchor on. If you're on the "inside" of the island, the side that puts your ship between the island and an outpost, you're more likely to be spotted. Anchoring on the "outside" of the island, the side that puts the island between your ship and the nearest outpost, makes you less likely to be spotted. This is especially true if your ship is anchored between an island and the edge of the map.'

♦ @Erinom3 - 'Park out of sight. Not just meaning in a cove, in a bay, behind rocks or such. Think about where ships sail from, where the outposts are, most frequent quest islands.
    Try to spend more time looking around, than managing your ship. Set your sails when you arrive, angle your ship in the direction of your next quest or an outpost. I tend to be playing music and looking around me for other ships, than I am actually sailing.
    If you care for your earned gains, I would recommend hiding your treasure on the island you stop at. Not just on the beach in a bush, preferably behind something that you can't see as you approach the island.
    Regarding your treasure. Consider how many chests you think you can turn in if a ship is pursuing you, or if you spot another ship and it comes toward you.'

@Deadly-Hawkins - 'Learn the important difference between North, North North East, North East, East North East, and East. The line between North and North East is North North East. This variance adds up to being far off of your destination. This is true for all other compass points as well.

You can jump from the crows nest onto the yard arm, then onto the deck to take less damage.

When looking for X marks the treasure, first look at your compass. Turn yourself to face North. Then look at your map. It always has North at the top. This way it is easier to see how the island is set up. Get as high as you can get, it is easier to see the island by looking down. You can stop your ship pointing at a island landmark on the other side. Then consult the chart table and zoom in. Then point the ship where you think the X actually is on the island. Then while on the island, you can look back at the ship and see where it is pointing.

Do not worry about dying or losing the ship. Both are not game breakers. Above all, have fun!'

@RockinAmadeus - 'My tip is about cashing in some booty. Sail up to the outpost and set a course that runs the ship past the dock and towards your next objective. If you have a special chest, esp a sorrows, jump off as it passes the dock, cash it in, then get the mermaid back to your ship.

You can even set the sails and wheel to "cruise control" at proper speed and turn angle to put you on course to the next part of the journey.'

@MetalSarDog - 'One thing I didn't see while skimming these posts was hiding your loot. On the galleons, you can place your loot 3 levels down and hope that a prospective thief will not make a successful run through the gauntlet back to the upper deck. On the sloop, I sometimes hide my loot in the crow's nest. That way, a thief is out in the open during their slow climb to the top (if they even check there). More often than not, an offending crew will check below deck, see nothing, then sink your ship and move on before even noticing the chests and skulls floating up from the wreckage.'

@ImOnOne2800 - 'Only take one chest at a time to reduce disheartening when your boat gets robbed. Then try again rinse and repeat.'

@hallower1980 - 'Keep your treasures on deck. Your boat isn't big enough to hide anything for longer than 15 seconds or so. And you're just as likely to benefit from quick access to flee with your loot or offload it at the outpost quickly.

The first thing I do when aboard a new ship is douse the lanterns. The exterior lights are useless except to give away your position at night. Mid-deck lanterns are also visible from afar. At least one cargo hold light can be kept on.'

@DrBullhammer - - 'Take some time to practice with the sloop. Find a rock and circle around it to get a feel for the turning radius. Raise and lower the sails to see how it affects your speed and your turning. Practice your Crazy Ivan, anchor drop 180 turn, until you can get the most speed once the anchor is raised. Go to the north side of Crescent Isle and practice your cannon aiming at the shooting range, first while stationary and then while moving.

Once you've done that and feel better with your maneuvering, go after another sloop or a galleon. See how well you can evade and how well you can attack. Ram them to see how much it damages your ship and how much it damages theirs. Learn to kill the guys who jump onto your ship. Learn how to best patch and bail. If you have 5 holes in your ship, how would you go about patching and bailing? I know I can empty the hull, patch 2 holes, empty the hull, patch the next 3, empty the hull, look for any weepers near the map.'

@erikinthebakery - 'One thing I've noticed when I'm sailing solo is I never make an extra trip for gathering supplies. If I'm going ashore, I empty my "pockets" real quick of cannon balls and planks so I have room to pick up more if I find them. As I have less cannons to fire, and shorter sides to repair (and am less likely to stay and fight) gathering extra supplies is just wasting more time away from my boat, and makes it more vulnerable.

Also, never underestimate the value of a well placed "Ahoy" chat message.'

@IceMan-0007 - 'The main thing is stock your sloop! Any dry spit of land has supplies on it. Empty your inventory before you go on shore even when hunting for chests. Maybe carry 3-4 bananas cause with the skellies you'll need them. And you can always get more. With the sloop planks and cannon balls are your best friend. Those horrible patch jobs they let you do on the sloops around the map table area where you can still see daylight leak..lol if you have problems seeing cup your sail at the bottom gives you a clear view. If you anchor at an island raise your sails half way once the island name pops up on your screen your speed is reduced. Then you can either raise sail all the way and coast into the island. Or you can leave it and drop anchor then raise sails and then raise your anchor. You just gave yourself a quick escape if necessary.'

@Bandaido - 'Along those lines, I do the same thing before I sneak aboard an enemy vessel. Loot their stores while I'm hunting for chests.'

@Ever-Reddy - 'One tip I missed in my first few sessions using the Sloop is that if you set the view right on the big map, when navigating you can release the wheel, turn around and look down onto it to check your bearing without having to walk down the stairs.'

@Bronzed-Johnson - 'One quick tip, look down to the below deck behind the capstan to get a quick view of your map instead of leaving the command deck.'

@Ant-Heuser-Kush - 'I let the ship sail itself. I just handle the sails. I only make minor corrections when I need to. The view from the front is 100% better.'

♦ @CheatingPirate - 'One thing I learned was instead of turning before angling the sails, you angle the sails first, then turn, as you finish the turn you are already going faster.'

• Combat Tips!

@xReDx-HaRlOw - 'Sometimes it is better to avoid a fight or try to ally with another boat it is quite possible there is no imbalance in the game the small ship is faster, it has a smaller hitbox but on the other hand it has less striking power but it is quite possible to dodge some fights the game gives us the opportunity to play alone that.'

@Trilligium - 'The biggest recommendation I have is pick your fights. If you decide to come up on someone, don't do it from the front. Stealth is the name of the game when the opponent has the numbers advantage. If you're stealthy enough, you can even swim over, hop on and steal treasure without them noticing (while docked) and cash it in then run away. Don't be a one-man army, be a thief'

@Program-024 - 'Play the long range game.

Those galleons are not particularly quick to turn. However, it is far easier for you do dodge those long range reply shots. Of course this forces them to try to get in close. That's when you drag them along past islands, sand bars, rocks, forts, and the storm. If they get stopped, you can pepper them from afar while they try to bail and repair. Make them work to try to get you.'

@RodriMViana - 'If you want to escape a large ship do turns. When I was hunting a solo ship i found difficult to follow him when he made some U turns, he definitely won some great distance from me just by turning his ship enough so I needed to turn mine to.'

@JetOrchidee97 - 'A great tactic that I tested yesterday if you're being chased by a galleon is :
    -There's an island in front of you, go right or left of it.
    -When you passed it, go the opposite way (right if you went left, and left if you went right)
    -The Galleon following (it's important that it didn't passed the island yet) should then try to shortcut directly the way you went around the island.
    -Once you aknowledge that they are shortcutting, quickly turn the opposite way. It will make them lose a lot of time and it could even lead them to crash on the island.'

@Hambergurler - 'Played solo ship since it came out best advice I can give is, attack when they are docked. Sail up board, steal, attack, then get away quick. If they shoot back or chase small ship is great at getting away and out turning big ships. I try not to attack other small ships I like to team or sail up and talk with them. Sadly the small ship is not the strongest vessel so use its quick speed and turning to your advantage.'

♦ @Erinom3 - 'When facing another ship, and you're not confident. Use your manouverability. I usually go behind a rock, break line of sight. And then take off in a completely different direction. That way, I can either put some distance between us and get to where I want to go. Or, I eventually bore them and they leave me alone. That happens often to me.
    When there's a hole, or two, you can take up to 30/40 seconds before you act on it. I don't stress out if I get hit, I just angle my sails and steer the direction I need to go before I go below.'

@Pentax25 - 'If you find yourself up against a galleon you don't wish to fight, you'll be faster sailing directly into the wind than they are.

Combine this with some clever manouvering around obstacles and it can give you a huge lead to escape!'

♦ @DevilsTassia - 'Also if a sloop can stay directly in from of the gallon helps yes we can catch up but its pure hades to do so, then the sloop can always go into tighter rock areas which is a good escape as well.'

♦ @AssassinsKing98 - 'ALWAYS make sure all guns are loaded fully before anchoring on any island. Go out there with no ammo and you won't survive for long. Learned that the hard way... XD'

@Deadly-Hawkins - 'Know your arcs of fire as seen from the Wheel. Steer so as you enter the arc, you can jump on the gun and fire right away.

I used to keep all guns loaded, now I do not. I do not carry cannon balls or planks. Reason is when needed, I have to open inventory and radial select. I find it faster to run past the barrel and take the item which instantly puts it in hand.

First thing to buy is the blunderbuss. It is your very short range killer for unsuspecting foes. Basically a one shot kill best used on those who are on a gun or the wheel. Sword is short range fighting while the pistol is longer ranged.

Gunnery is difficult at high speeds. So when entering combat, raise the sail to about half way or less.
    Learn what islands have shallows, and then lure galleons over those shallows. When they run aground, you can slow down and fire upon them from the front.

While sailing along and you run low on supplies, steer for open ocean as you pass a ship wreck. Ensure you have no supplies carried on you, and jump off into the wreck. Take all you can find. If you drown, great, you appear back on your ship. If not, then you take the mermaid back to your ship.'

@Galghumor - 'Keep sails at half-speed, gives you insane turn radius, outmaneuver and fire.'

@Vilksian - 'If you're being chased by a galleon, lure them past a fort. Sure, it'll fire at you first, but you can wiggle left and right to throw off their aim. The galleon won't be so lucky, and since those forts can fire 5, 6, or even 7 shots at once, the galleon will take a hell of a beating forcing them to take time to repair and bail, and waste their planks.
    Also, as more of a "theoretical" tactic, if you're in a crew of 2, have one person jump off and go underwater. When the big ship passes above, they sneak on and drop the anchor while they're in front of a fort. As a still target, the skeletons will frequently aim at the capstan, making it literally impossible for anyone to raise it (speaking from experience). They'd have to send someone to the fort to deal with the cannons before their ship sinks.'

@hallower1980 - 'Alone, you're unlikely to sink a galleon because you can't sail and work the cannons simultaneously. So sneaking aboard is your best option for combat. Even against another solo sailor, you are unlikely to land cannon shots faster than your opponent can repair unless you are anchored and he's a sitting duck. Stick to swords and pistols.'

@Bandaido - 'And if you don't have a 2nd person. You can keep a loot chest on the roof and toss it off the back for your pursuers. Everyone knows Pirates cant resist stopping for a floating treasure chest.'

@Cyrusapollo - 'If it looks inevitable that you will be overtaken, set you sails for a 90 to 180 degree turn (depending on where that will put your profile to her guns, try to end up dead astern for greatest effect) using the anchor as an e-brake. Lure the larger ship as close as possible, then drop your anchor. Raise it again quickly then, fill your sails with wind and escape in the opposite direction, being careful to stay out of sight of her guns. Head towards anything that breaks line of sight. With a good wind, you will be long gone
    before the big ship can come about.
    Point being, prepare your ship BEFORE the turn, so as soon as your make the turn, you are already up an running, full sail.'

@A-Cranky-Eskimo - 'But the other thing to watch out for on a sloop is being knocked overboard by cannon splash damage. This is the only way i have been sunk in battle as a solo sloop as otherwise it is pretty manuverable even for battle if the wheel is set well before leaving it.'

• How t'enjoy yerself at Sea!

@Lavaskull01 - 'My advice for any solo pirate just enjoy the little things and create your own journey as you treasure hunt. Take the long way around a storm learning how to best chart your course around the map, test new things or create your own challenge you want to complete in Sot. Have fun and drop sails to your own pirate tale.'

@hallower1980 - 'Ring the bell, just for fun.

Be mindful of cannons on an island when you choose a place to anchor. If skeletons start firing on your ship while you are ashore, you didn't leave anyone behind to patch the hull quickly.

If a ship does come close, wave or play music or something to suggest peace. They might reconsider sinking you.

Always check for stowaways if you return to find another ship or mermaid near your ship.

Beware of bushes. There's a 50/50 chance @JoeNineTee is set to ambush you.'

@esbenesa - 'All I have to say is practice makes perfect. there really isnt any other way of getting better. Also everything is very subjective as i for one never load the cannons before hand and other Things that other people may have commented. So its just about what suits you, and your play style ;)'

♦ @Erinom3 - 'Sailing solo is definitely tough, don't get me wrong. But if you think about your actions a little more carefully, stay vigilant, yet also relaxed it can be a very fun experience. Plus, it's also hilarious to pull up on another ship by yourself and just start waving at them.'

♦ @SoulEaterSt1ch - 'Not sure if this has been mentioned but,

RIDE INTO STORMS

Thread the needle on "those" rocks

Full speed, max turn, drop the anchor to do a 180

Kill your lights to avoid detection in the first place. This includes putting up the sail.

Otherwise its simple. Play duck duck goose with smaller islands if you're being chased and fool 'em into hitting a slip of land. Its not difficult.'

• If'n ye have any others that we've missed so far and ye want to add to this library, please do so below!

• How did I not see this before?! I wasn't notified or anything. I'm so honored, thank you Captain @KattTruewalker for the credit and the beautifully made post. Hats off to you.

• @assassinsking98 It's been lurking elsewhere while the forum reshuffle was being done and I just moved it over yesterday, the tags won't notify you if they were edits rather than a new post :(

Hopefully we'll be able to share this with the wider community around Beta time too!

• @drbullhammer Aye... he does seem a savvy pirate, doesn't he ;)

• These are all fantastic tips and tricks to use while sailing the sloop. I probably use/do every single thing mentioned here when I'm sailing about. Great post, Katt! Definitely useful for our newer players.

• I do agree that it would be smart to circulate this come closed beta time. Perhaps it would subdue a renewed heated debate as to which ship is OP in the game.

Then again, even having this in the technical alpha forums didn't do much in that regard...

But overall, it is nice to have all of this info in one place once again!

• Another tip for the soloist.
    The Drive by drop off
    If you are carrying booty & are being pursued, make your way towards the nearest outpost. Do not stop, but instead set your boat to 'drive by' as close as possible to the shore / dock, making sure it has a clear path ahead. Grab your most valuable chest & jump when your ship is at the closest point (preferably not in line of sight of the pursuers!). Run & cash in the chest & sprint to the now surfaced mermaid (look for the blue smoke!). Once back on your ship either turn around & repeat or head elsewhere.
    I would use this as a 'last resort' tactic, if you fear you will get caught/sank. It's just a way to hopefully save some of your hard earned treasure. You should always try other means of escape first.

• Sometimes I'll unload all my treasure from the boat and hide it in the bushes, just incase someone decideds to steal my ship they'd probably assume I didn't have anything, It probably doesn't save any time but it gives me a little more peace of mind, especially when you hear that all too familar canon fire.

• This is a really great thread, thank you for compiling it!

• Here's another one - on approaching Plunder Outpost the other evening, there was no sign of another ship but as we drew closer we noticed a shark in the water and out of the corner of our eye, caught the splash of water which indicated a mermaid had just surfaced.

Needless to say, we sailed on to another Outpost.....

• I think the true trick to being solo is to go on tons of quests and load your ship up with as many chests as possible.

• Here's something that I learned from a recent encounter specifically against other sloops.

On the sloop, it is possible to see a person on the helm from behind if you are close enough behind the ship. I had one sloop chase me for an extended period once and the pirate got close enough to try to board me I think. Then again, I did jump ship as a passed an outpost to cash in and so my ship went off without me for a little while, making it easier to catch up.

Anyways! I got back on the ship right before he could try to get on and I rear-ended his ship. As he pulled away I saw him at the helm through the openings in the back of the sloop. I had a clear enough view to pull out my trusty flintlock pistol and kill him in one shot. He didn't bother me after that.

Moral of the story: watch your back when you are at the helm. You don't have the same protection from behind in a sloop when compared to the galleon.

Another moral of the story: If you are chasing another sloop, you might get lucky with your shot if you can see the captain at the helm.

• Just bringing this across for all the new pirates out there - a wealth of information and advice from our most experienced scallywags!

• Thank you @katttruewalker.
    Here is a tip from me:

If you fall off the ship (sloop or galleon), swim in the opposite direction without looking back. You will force the spawn of a mermaid (they appear in the direction you look).

• @el-espectro-0 Now that is really interesting, does that work when your ship is going down too?

• Great set of advice here! Thank you so much for the compilation!!!

• @katttruewalker I have not tried it, but it could be.

• Looking through these I've already seen a lot that I do regularly. I don't know if it's on here, but another bit of advice is that whenever you find yourself on a steady course and don't need to steer, get into the crows nest and check your surroundings real quick. Spot enemy ships before they spot you (no brainer). I also do this before going ashore any islands.

If you have a lot of loot and are being chased, don't be scared to sacrifice a castaway chest or two. There have been several times a galleon two person schooner or even a galleon has stopped to try and get the discarded chest, granting me enough time to escape. It may seem like a waste, but when you have 3 seafarers chests, two grog chests, a marauders chest, a chest of sorrow and 2 castaway chests, dropping the two castaway chest is a worthy sacrifice in order to get away safely with the better loot. 90% of the time they have fallen for it. We're pirates after all.

Feign aggression. Several times I'll see a schooner nearby and have no idea whether it's a solo player or duo. But regardless I'll start sailing towards them and watch as they change course to get away from me. This doesn't always work if they really are a duo, but even many duo players don't want to risk the treasure they have on the off chance that the ship sailing towards them is a solo player (for the love of god, don't try to use intimidation against a galleon. You will lose that game of chicken).

If a ship is chasing directly behind you and you have a gunpowder barrel and a clear stretch of sea ahead, take the gunpowder and jump off the front of your boat. As their ship continues to pursue yours, grab the ladder as they pass by and board their ship (it's actually pretty easy). If you can do this without being noticed, you can drop the barrel below deck and ignite it. In a schooner, this will likely kill most anyone on board (including yourself, but worth it) and sink their ship. In a galleon, this will not guarantee sinking their ship, but assuming you don't kill yourself when igniting the barrel, you can then run back to the upper deck and drop their anchor. Then just give em hell as best you can until you either kill them or die, distracting them from raising anchor and fixing their ship for a few seconds. Pull of this maneuver, and they'll be scrambling to undo the damage while you respawn on your ship and make a clean get away. I've found this technique is easier to pull off on galleons than schooners (if you don't have gunpowder, dropping their anchor and then frantically trying to keep them from raising it can still buy a good amount of time).

• Thanks, Katt, this is great!

Here is a link to the long tutorial video I made the other day for solo sloopers. It doesn't cover battling ships because I didn't encounter anyway. But hopefully it will help a few folks get started.

• My advice to stick to sword and pistol was written before gunpowder barrels were added. That opens up more options for ship defense (and revenge -- make them think twice about preying on sloops).

I have seen many pirates advising to raise the sail but don't drop anchor when berthing/docking. Keep in mind that most strategies involve tradeoffs. In this case, keeping your anchor up means you can escape faster if a ship approaches during your time on an island, but it also makes it easier for a pirate to steal your ship. More than a few times in my experience, the only reason a ship wasn't stolen was because the thief was shot while raising the anchor.

Likewise, storing gunpowder barrels in the crow's nest or down in the hold is safer, but also requires more time to access the barrels when you need them. In many battle scenarios, every second counts. Keeping a boom barrel on the top deck risks another player shooting it, but place it by your treasure and you can shoot it when an enemy approaches.

Occasionally, you can use skeletons to your advantage. I once led a galleon to a skeleton fort where the skeletons on cannons helped me defend my ship (after I escaped the skellies' view by hugging the cliff between guard towers). The galleon sunk my ship, but didn't sail away before I respawned and climbed a tower to use its cannons. On land, I have led pirates into a swarm of skeletons. It's good to notice where the boom barrels are on an island even if you don't take them.

Any strategy is good to add to your mental playbook as an option. But be aware of your surroundings and adapt to the circumstances. If a rock at sea blocks the view of your pursuers, consider turning in that blind spot. Maybe even stop and pull a U-turn. Be flexible.

• @katttruewalker @RGBKnights be one of the first sailors I befriended on the seas many moons ago

• @amykittee When I have an island where I am digging up multiple chests, I go to the furthest one from where I parked (docked?) first. I bring that chest to some bushes or rocks near my ship. I continue in this fashion until I have found all on that island. I then scan A LOT on the horizons. Load my booty and head out. As a solo I have also made it a personal rule, if an outpost is closer than my next target, I off load what I have before moving on. So far has worked pretty well.

• @katttruewalker

Great collection! Thanks for putting it together.

• Tatical sinking-

While expoloring for a long time to keep your ship safe you might want to make unsinkable. To do this simply follow these steps:

1: On an island with shallows dive down and find a wide shallow ground your ship can safely sail over.

2: Raise the sails to half or more and slowly postion your ship directly of the shallows then drop anchor

3: Raise the sail and anchor all the way.

4: Jump into the and bail water onto your ship untill it sinks enough to hit the ground of the shallows.

If done correctly your ship can't fully sink and therefore no amount of cannon fire will doing anything and will just be a waste a cannonballs. This also makes it more difficult to steal the ship.

When your done simply repair any holes and then bail out the water and your good to go. You may have to drop and raise the anchor before it starts moving agian. i chalk that up to a glitch.

This tactic served me well while i was exploring the 3 uncharted island. A galleon tried so hard but failed they evently got board and left giving me a "well played" they even left without taking my chest i hid.

• Love this post, Great idea to get it out there.

cap mal

• Hints and tips from a master pirate right here!

• @katttruewalker, @DrBullhammer and I were just discussing the other day. A sloop is better off aiming for the enemies manning the cannons first, sending them into the afterlife, then hitting them as many times as possible below the waterline while there’s nobody left to repair and bail.

This is most effective on the sloops, since there are fewer enemies on board, but can also be quite effective against galleons.

• I don't know if this is in here but when you collect explosive barrels store them in the crows nest. If they detonate there it will do minimum to no damage to the ship.

Also barrel bombs are a great way to make galleons chasing you break off quick if you start dropping these in a serpentine pattern behind your ship. Keep a few just for this occasion.

Also in a pinch you can ram a galleon and board with a barrel bomb and detonate it below deck to sink a ship fast. Use this as a desperation tactic only.

• @katttruewalker Here's my contribution in the form of 50+ pro tips and tricks.

• @tastethejustice said in Alone on a wide, wide sea! - Collected hints and tips for the solo pirate!!:

I think the true trick to being solo is to go on tons of quests and load your ship up with as many chests as possible.

in going to watch out for your "tips" xD

Views
1 out of 46