What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?

• Bringing back a series of Community Building threads which we had - this one originally posted by @Kay-Wroshyr!

So, most of us here share a love, or at least an interest in three things, video games, Rare, and Pirates, what draws us to that rich universe? A few questions to get you rolling:

What do you prefer about Pirates? And why?

Who's you favorite historical pirate figure?

Who's you favorite fictional pirate figure?

What is you favorite Pirate story (book, movie, real story, video game)?

Assuming there is anything, what do you dislike about Pirates?

Views
  • What do you prefer about Pirates? And why?

Grog, rum, gold, parrots, the insults. Sailing the seas causing chaos and terror.

Sir Francis Drake, Blackbeard.

Guybrush Threepwood. Captain Jack Sparrow a close second.

Monkey Island series

Nothing 🤣

• have you intentionally started a topic based on the "pirates in an adventure with..." series??

Their freedom, bravery, love for adventure, the parrots, go against what society see's as 'normal'...I don't know, but pirates are just awesome :)

Cheng I Sao, she went from being a p********e to ending as one of the most famous pirates in history :)

Jack Sparrow, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow ;) (specially the way he moves xD)

Pirates of the Caribbean, Waterworld (if it does count), Cutthroat Island...

The violence and drinking :P But that's just something that is part of a pirate so I accept it :)

What about you @KattTruewalker ?

The Freedom, the treasures they made, the legends they created, the jolly Rogers.

• Bartholomew Roberts, was the most successful pirate of the golden age of Pirates.
    • Blackbeard, because of his intimidating look that made him one of the famous pirate of history.
    • Bartolomeu Português was the one who created the first Code of Conduct for Piracy.

• Buggy the Clown (from One Piece)
    • Captain Jack Sparrow (from The Pirates of the Caribbean)

• Pirates of the Caribbean
    • One Piece

That we can no longer be Pirates like those the histories still telling us about.

I love the sailing, the treasure hunting and the Kraken!

My favourite figure is probably Blackbeard. He was a fearsome pirate but was a shrewd and calculating leader who spurned the use of force, relying instead on his fearsome image to elicit the response that he desired from those whom he robbed. Contrary to the belief that he was a traditional tyrannical pirate, there is no known account of his ever having harmed or murdered those whom he held captive.

Got to be Captain Jack Sparrow!

Book - Treasure Island, Movie - The Goonies, and Video game - Tales of Monkey Island.

Nothing! Trying to #BeMorePirate!

• @katttruewalker

Being a Swashbuckler, epic sailing adventures, fight against the elite order

Though technically not a pirate but more a privateer Piet Hein. Because he is not a pirate I suppose Edward Teach aka Black beard

Guybrush Peepwood...errr...Threepwood

Monkey Island, Black Sails, Cut

they smell really bad

• ONE PIECE XD

• @shaery06 Well..

I've always loved pirates, being on the ocean, the freedom and the exploration possibilities, camaraderie and sheer courage to set out on your own with an uncertain future.. or likely a hangman's noose.

Sir Francis Drake or Grace O'Malley

Jack Sparrow.. hmm or Charles Vane in Black Sails, or even The Pirate Captain!

Hmm, tricky one this - PotC movies, Black Sails series, PotCO game, and then The Buccaners of America which is one of the few historical first hand accounts by Alexander Exquemelin. Sea of Thieves trumps all of these of course ;)

Not a thing!

• @katttruewalker
    Their love of rum, gold, and adventure! Mostly, a list of things we share. :)
    Who's your favorite historical pirate figure?
    Gotta go with Blackbeard and Sir Francis Drake.
    Who's your favorite fictional pirate figure?
    Captain Jack Sparrow and Edward Kenway
    PotC for movies/series in general. I also liked PotCO, AC4, Puzzle Pirates, but SoT is the best so far!
    What's there to dislike?!

• @katttruewalker said in What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?:

I just love the feeling of sailing a ship on open sea and battling other ships and sea creatures(always have been fascinated with sea tales)

Obviously Blackbeard, he's one of the few who made quite the name for himself.

I'd have to go with Davy Jones, especially the POTC Davy Jones.

Well I'll do something out of the books, witch would be the Isle of series. The first book, Isle of Swords, was great and so was the second, Isle of Fire. Not sure I like the third one yet, Isle of Stars.

It would have to be the abusing they did and how some of them are careless of their victims.

• @katttruewalker
    I have grown up on some insanely good Pirate games starting with
    Pirates! for NES, and
    Uncharted Waters for SNES.
    I don't think there is anything particular I "prefer" about pirates. Is that a question about this game in particular, or in general? but I have enjoyed the games over the years and still own and play them. I am happy to see another one coming out that I can enjoy :D

Hmmm... I don't know really. There are a lot of good ones. Anne Bonny probably just because she was a woman, and had to overcome even more odds than usual to become a famous pirate.

No idea. There is to many; often seen in different roles and in different lights, to pick one.

My favorite pirate game is Uncharted Waters.

I don't have a specific example, but any pirate who didn't respect honor among thieves, or is dishonorable to his crew.

The rum, adventures, exploration, treasure, comradery and not forgetting the rum!

Calico Jack, getting captured while intoxicated is the way I would get caught.

Guybrush Threepwood & One-Eyed Willy

Book: Treasure Island
    Movie: The Goonies
    Game: SoT & AC: Black Flag

They keep stealing my grog!

The adventures, The fact they make labour look like its just fun and games. they love the sea!

Sir Francis Drake ("My Pirate")

Roronoa Zoro

Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean I guess...
    Video Game: Sid Meiers Pirates (Lets watch SoT take this space)

Toughie, I'll get back to you.

• @katttruewalker I love how pirates went against governments and how many were feared by people. My favorite historical pirate figure is Blackbeard mainly because he stroke fear into his enemies and I find the way how he was killed to be the coolest way to go out. I have to go with a classic for a fictional pirate figure and say Captain Jack Sparrow. The main reason I favor him is because of his characters personality and how it just brings it to life. My favorite pirate story is probably whatever started Captain Kidd's treasure because that would be so fun to be laughing at people who waste their time looking for a hoax. i don't dislike anything about pirates.

• @spookyrach
    My Favorite Historical Pirate figure
    Barbossa saladin pasha

My favorite Fictional pirate figure
    Captain Jack sparrow

Sailing the sea finding treasures and Myth
    Blackbeard
    Sinbad
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Nothing

I love the romanticized aspects of Pirate Life; Adventure, Freedom, Fame and Fortune.
    Who doesn't like the sound of that?

Klaus Störtebeker (aka. Nikolaus Storzenbecher) - Germany's very own Pirate Legend and historical figure, probably not so known outside of Germany.

Guybrush Threepwood

One of my favourites is the Legend surrounding the execution of Störtebeker and his Crew.
    Störtebeker is said to have asked the mayor of Hamburg to release as many of his companions as he could walk past after being beheaded. Following the granting of this request and the subsequent beheading, Störtebeker's body arose and walked past eleven of his men before the executioner tripped him with an outstretched foot. Nevertheless, the eleven men were executed along with the others.
    The senate of Hamburg asked the executioner if he was not tired after all this, but he replied he could easily execute the whole of the senate as well. For this, he himself was sentenced to death and executed by the youngest member of the senate.

Now that's the stuff of legends, right? 😉

There is never enough Grog.

• Pirate code(law)! Even in the world of pirates rules are followed, ironically they were always used for own gains.
      Who's your favorite historical pirate figure?
    • Anne Bonny
      Who's your favorite fictional pirate figure?
    • Long John Silver
      What is your favorite Pirate story (book, movie, real story, video game)?
    • Monkey Island
    • On Stranger Tides
    • In times of piracy, these people were forced to do unimaginable things but the truth is... they were forced to be pirates. The lack of government control and stupidity made all sailors in those times pirates if they aren't following some rules. We all know of colonization etc. well this bunch of people were first ones who repealed and raised against the dictatorship. Point is people will do everything to survive.
    • Tagging Pioneer in comments, will smack someone!
  • @katttruewalker

What do I prefer about Pirates ?
    Sails, Gold, Rum, Freedom

My favorite historical pirate figure ?
    Edward Teach, for is tactical mind and good behavior with his crew.
    (contrary to modern beliefs)

My favorite fictional pirate figure ?
    Long John Silver, to be feared and loved at the same time... isn't it the best ?

My favorite Pirate story ?
    I like the fictional story of Assassin's Creed Black Flag, really cool and it approaches the true story found in books today.

What do I dislike about Pirates ?
    Hm I don't know... to betray his mates ?

• @katttruewalker said in [What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?](/forum/post/3

Growing up in Wyoming and Montana I got so tired of cowboys and the Western rubbish. Freshman year in High School my family moved to the Oregon Coast. We lived 2 blocks from the ocean and I fell in love with it. Every shop in town was geared toward Pirates and so I just latched onto it and I'm 100% everything Pirate!!! Plus, I did a 6 day sail excursion on the Tall Ship Lady Washington, so I've earned my sea legs there. And Rum, can’t forget the rum. 🥃

Sir Francis Drake. He was a “Sea Dog” privateer under the license of Queen Elizabeth I to attack the Spanish ships. He was the 1st English captain to circumnavigate the globe. He even executed a lower ranked crew member for allegedly plotting mutiny.💀😬

Not many people choose him but I like Mr. Gibbs from Pirates of the Caribbean. He's the kind of Pirate I'd like to be.👍

My favorite Pirate book: The Princess Bride ( it's got pirate elements in it ).

Movie: The Princess Bride, The Pirates! Band of Misfits - the Aardman Claymation movie, POTC series, The Goonies.

Real Pirate Story: I like the story of Blackbeard - Edward Teach, lighting his beard on fire🔥 - which in fact he wore his black beard and hair very long and would light little candles or bits of fuse in his hair to give him a fierce, demonic appearance.😈

Video Game: Obviously Sea of Thieves is my most favorite Pirate game and TBH, favorite game every to date.😏

I don't understand the question. Pirates are RAD!!! Nothing to dislike. Well, there is scurvy...not sure I fancy scurvy.🤢

The freedom, adventure and some of anarchy! not much but a pinch o fun with it.

Sir Francis Drake.

Long Jhon Silver.

What is you favorite Pirate story (book, movie, real story, video game)? Treasure Island

May be the dirtiness... i like shower every day

• the only real answer -

• @pbsf-pendragon said in What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?:

the only real answer -

Here-Here! Love this movie as well!

• @xmuddynucklesx said in What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?:

@pbsf-pendragon said in What Do Ye Most Love About Pirates?:

the only real answer -

Here-Here! Love this movie as well!

Had one of the books for my birthday and have a few more of them coming for christmas. Love em.

• Hello.. You know what isnt nice?? I pre ordered the game at the day it was realised and i got only one week to play your game.. Like everyone.. There are people who didnt buy the game and they have the technical alpha Accses.. You have beta version realised all this time and you picking up a guy by guy and giving to them the game without knowing that they gonna buy this game.. I bought the game i automatically deserve to play in your technical alpha giving it to other people who didnt buy it yet it isnt nice.. Every game i pre ordered if in the game was a beta Accses i got chance to play it all the time while it was realised.. Only you have beta version and giving it to people one by one (sorry for the bad english i hope you understood what i mean)

• @danielelmahmud Ahoy there, this probably isn't the best place to be posting these thoughts as it's not the main topic of the thread.

Sea of Thieves has been running a Technical Alpha since Dec last year. Those interested in taking part and providing feedback signed up to the Insider programme and the last wave of those who signed up have just finished the last Technical Alpha play sessions.

Early next year the Beta will begin, and those who took part in the Technical Alpha, who are now Founders will be able to participate along with those who have pre- ordered the game.

These sessions are open for limited periods of time and notification of this is sent by email and well publicised on the forums.

Stay tuned for more news of how the Beta will work in early 2018.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/insider-programme-update

Views
1 out of 28