Insider Hot Topic: Thoughts on PC Gaming

@fmiguelc said in Insider Hot Topic: Thoughts on PC Gaming:

Creating a group party, and a group chat or managing it on the PC version of Sea of thives, was a pain in the A*s. i had to minimize the game to go to the XBOX windows app. I found myself installing the xbox app on my phone just to manage this without leaving the game. And no surprise, it was even worse than the windows app. SLOW, too many options, search the player... forget it and make an in game, managing option usable with an XBOX ONE CONTROLLER. I had to use xbox controller and mouse to play the alpha.... unusual.

PC has the advantage to using third party apps, like Discord. or TS for voice chat.

@meightm2gtv and single player offline

Need an easier way to add people to group chat than writing their name to find their profile and then sending an invite.
    On the crew page of the menu, ability to see nearby people (only a couple meters for example otherwise it might be abused) and clicking on their name and sending direct requests (either friend or chat requests) from in game would make it much easier to form alliances.

@opticalmatrix
    I want to participate, I need invitation, I really want to help with feedback's, it helps to improve every day more the game!

I realize there is a call for key mapping but my idea for the weapons is exactly like killing floor 2. By this I mean primary 1. (pistol-blunder) press the set key until desired weapon. 2. sniper 3. melee Rather not use the mouse wheel at all for weapon selection.

@l-coolbreeze-i
    remember that it is a cross game, it would not be good to give pc those bentages of quick weapon changes.
    I would leave the game just the way we saw it in the closed beta, in that aspect

@opticalmatrix
    remember that it is a cross game, I do not think it is good to give the PC those advantages, such as using the numbers to change the weapon quickly, because in the control of XBOX that is not possible, if they want to do that kind of thing, then better create an interface where it can be just as easy for xbox and its control.

Example
    in the control of xbox when using the (Y) we will deploy the UI of the Weapons and select the appropriate one. if we press (Y) twice it makes a change to the next weapon according to the order.

In the PC, we will press the mouse wheel, we will deploy the same weapons roulette. If we turn the mouse wheel it will change to the next weapon according to the order.

@lightning-yata said

remember that it is a cross game, it would not be good to give pc those bentages of quick weapon changes.
    I would leave the game just the way we saw it in the closed beta, in that aspect

If you're gonna cry foul for devs utilizing the versatility/efficiency that comes with m/kb controls, then why bother even having crossplay?

Using the number keys for weapon selection, is like second nature for PC gamers.

@h0rse
    Friend, I play on PC, I do not cry for me, I understand what that means, which is very different.

@lightning-yata
    If PC players can't use their PC/ m/kb as expected, then don't bother with crossplay. They did this when Shadowrun released, boasting how PC and console players could play against each other, and then they intentionally tweaked the game against PC players in the name of "balance."

If you wanna do cross platform, then players need to understand that PC and console are different beasts and comply with what that means in terms of gameplay, otherwise you need to setup different servers - PC only, console only and mixed.

@h0rse
    You can always do everything in a way that benefits both platforms, if you want to change weapons without having to change one to one can be done in both.
    Example
    in the control of xbox when using the (Y) we will deploy the UI of the Weapons and select the appropriate one. if we press (Y) twice it makes a change to the next weapon according to the order.

In the PC, we will press the mouse wheel, we will deploy the same weapons roulette. If we turn the mouse wheel it will change to the next weapon according to the order.

if you want, you could RARE put that Interface (UI) to use it both in PC and console and put the option to use the numbers, if you wish.

I have played SoT on my Xbox One only. Although I game on both platforms and plan on taking full advantage of "play Anywhere" and Cross platforming with SoT. Simply put, PC Gaming offers greater freedom with gaming in general. There isn't much I can add here that hasn't been said a few times in this thread already. Most of my personal PC gaming experience is based in flight simulations, dating back to the C64 and a tape drive...I know right? However...I have a concern with cross platforming...

What will be "scaleable" graphics-wise when it comes to SoT on PC? We already see in games like PUBG where the PC Gamers turn off things like foliage to gain an advantage. Console gamers do not have these choices. What level of scaling will be offered to PC gamers? Are you being careful to insure any scaling PC Gamers receives has no possibility of creating a gameplay advantage?

@opticalmatrix while playing the xb1 closed beta i had a few experiences against pc players who could pretty much 360 no scope me no matter where i ran and never seemed to miss. not to mention every shot i landed on them with my blunder was quickly healed by a banana and then an insta swap back to their blunder only to kill me instantly one shot... i enjoy the thought of playing across both our platforms but it just doesn't seem fair when it comes down to the pvp situations. pc can turn faster, add reticles, and swap items instantly. i prefer the idea of just jumping between my systems rather than mixing them on the same servers. people like to play pc for something faster pace but jump onto console to look for a more slow paced and relaxed environment. you can't do that with cross play and even as a pc player it just doesn't feel fair most of the time facing off against console players. the pvp situations i had against other console players was great and felt equal with battles lasting upwards to 10 minutes instead of being spawn camped by crack shot pc snipers every respawn. thankfully it was mostly console players i ran into during my time in beta. and i ended up winning quite a few battles too only to both wind up at the bar in the end. but all said and done, even if nothing is done about the pc vs console balance issues once released i'll still play it. it's still a great game in my opinion. i just wanted to share my experience in beta across platforms.

Some of the basics that I care about on PC and why I choose to use this over my Xbox One;

• Freedom to control game visual, control and sound settings.
    • Multi-monitor setups for multi-tasking.
    • Freedom of choice of either in game or third party chat (using discord, teamspeak etc)
    • Freedom to use either keyboard and mouse or controller (where supported)
    • No subscription required for online gaming services.
    • Software/Games that are sufficiently supported with regularly updates, patches and improvements.
    • Freedom to choose hardware specs and peripherals dependent on user budget.
    • Multiple sources of games.
    • Easy access to software/game forums to report bug reports to help developers.

I know this is 6 months old but still relevant to my interests. You guys killed it for the PC community, for real, well done. What I care most about is having a well polished, well optimised game before anything else, and playing the Beta showed me you guys are dedicated to that. It ran smooth as butter while also looking gorgeous.

@opticalmatrix
    Espero que não se importem eu estar falando português, então vamos la...
    Eu antes do beta não conhecia o jogo e adorei a temática do jogo e sei que fazendo certo ele vai ser o game do ano. Então nesse beta do dia 16 ao dia 18 joguei e verifiquei que o jogo promete bastante, mas queria dar dicas para melhorar.

*Primeiramente é complicado achar gente para jogar na tripulação ou você combina antes num grupo do jogo ou adquire o produto com amigos, que na grande maioria vai ser difícil isso acontecer. Então minha dica seria não comece o jogo já definindo o barco ou a tripulação, acho que seria mais divertido começar o jogo o jogador iniciar na taverna onde poderia estar entrando ou recrutando piratas ou mesmo se desejar jogando solo.

*Segundo e a embarcação, atualmente você escolhe o barco no inicio do jogo e minha dica seria ir no porto para escolher o barco, onde se a tripulação tiver menos de 2 pessoas pode pegar o barco pequeno e se tiver mais o barco grande, e com isso poderia ofertar por preço de dinheiro do jogo (gold) barcos diferenciados e mais bonitos. Onde cada vez que o barco é destruído a tripulação fala com o tritão para ir no porto para adquirir outro barco e não ganhando como é atualmente.

*Terceiro e ultimo é relacionado a morte, atualmente você morre e nasce perto do seu barco. Isso aconteceu de eu morrer e nascer no barco onde tinha 2 players onde não tive para onde fugir senão morrer de novo. Isso ocorreu 2 vezes no mesmo lugar morrendo e nascendo e morrendo de novo. Então acredito que o ideal seria morrer volta no porto, se o resto da tripulação não chegar a morrer pode estar indo pegar o jogador que morreu.

Very good beta but .. Why its not possible to config the joypad in the start menu ? Only in game :-/

beta not found. Bad support

@rucegil are you on pc or xbox theres not really much point now though.

A few notes about PC :
    Default key binds s***s for non-qwerty keyboards (don't pretend you have extensive QA when multiple functions are bound on the same key by default).
    Allow us to "share" the game files between computers. I have roommates and we want to play together or bring friends over to play. The last beta took 5 hours to download (on a single PC). If it takes 20h to download for everyone and use all our internet bandwidth we will NOT try the beta and NOT buy the game, so find a way to share the game files between PC's (steam, battle net, origin and everyone does it). You talk about making a good PC game not a s****y port, this is a key feature. I can't convince my roommates to pay 70€ if they can't play the beta and forcing Windows store is already wearing down their patience so if we can't share the file to save time we will not buy.

I love PC gaming! I don't own a console anymore and when I did I only played single player games. The biggest turn off of consoles for me is the forced subscription model for multiplayer games. This is actually one of the few games I would gladly pay a subscription for being as its impossible to player host one of your servers but for most other games this is not the case.

I actually prefer to play with a Xbox controller and avoid any games that are exclusive to or offer advantages to KB+M players. I love the open environment that PC gaming offers as well. Many companies are trying and there are some benefits to monetization but for the most part you don't have to worry about one publisher deciding what games you get to see and buy. Any studio can develop and publish games for the Windows platform.

PC(s) will always offer the most up to date experience as well. I own the HTC Vive VR headset and have nearly been completely turned off of regular 2D games. I don't necessarily have to buy a whole new device to get the best graphical quality and all my games from windows xp still work with unofficial patches to this day.

I love that Microsoft is embracing the Cross platform model and have been waiting to get a trued xbox experience on Windows since Halo 2 Vista. I really think what they are doing with "Play Anywhere" and Xbox Live on Windows Mixed Reality is truly amazing! I am proud to support both Rare and Microsoft and will happily support the Windows Store even with some of it's problems. Just never charge for multiplayer and you will keep me a loyal fan.

@opticalmatrix The aim assist for console players has to be on point if you dont want PC to have an unfair advantage..

@opticalmatrix

I enjoy PC gaming quite a bit, mainly because of the option to type what I'm thinking or want to say. Sometimes I find it easier to type my thoughts and opinions, than to actually say them aloud. But I come from the days of Diablo 2, and the OLD days of WoW, where there was a lot of typing communication. Not too many people used discord or things like that to actually talk to eachother.

I'm not a big fan on PC game controls, unless they're well thought out and not too complicated. I'm a controller gamer all the way now days, but when I play a game on PC, I don't want to have to learn 1000 different key binds and things, in order to be effective at the game. I'm also not a huge fan of the mouse. I feel like it's either too restrictive because of sensitivity, or too sensitive. But I come from the days when a mouse had a cord on it, and only two buttons. Now days, there's a lot of really high quality gaming mice out there, but I'm not going to spend the money on them. Nor will I spend money on any other kind of accessories for computer gaming, I don't feel like they're worth the money. But that's because I'm a console player now. Most of the time, if something comes across on PC that I want to play, I'll just wait until it gets released for console, or I won't play it.... That's what would have happened with Sea of Thieves unfortunately. At a glance, I didn't get enough information from the trailers or even from the live streams I watched during the Closed Beta... Not enough to buy it on PC anyway. But for console, it was a SLAM DUNK, and I bought it like a week after I saw it.

For me to buy a PC game now, it's got to have a lot of detail and enough game play elements to keep me engaged for a long time. The last game I bought for PC was Sid Meier's Civilization 6... And I still sit down and play a session of it, once a week. I got the game almost a year ago now.... But this thought process for me ties into my life style as well, I'm a stay at home parent with a generally well behaved child, so I'm lucky enough to have the time to invest into playing games. So if I'm going to play, it needs to keep me invested. And most PC games just aren't going to do that, when I can get the same thing on console. For a cheaper price too, and that's another reason I'm not a big PC gamer. It's expensive, over time. Needing to upgrade your PC for newer games or replace parts that break.... It's just cheaper and easier to play on console in my opinion.

@opticalmatrix Possible exploit involving merchant alliance and chicken coups. If one can gather two coups per missions, and cancel missions, many coups can be had. Missions can be started, checked for golden chickens or whichever sells for the most, rejects canceled. Many variations but, I believe a flat amount for the chickens regarless of the type would fix many issues, and canceling missions incurring a penalty might help.

My number one wish for the PC experience is to add a keybind to allow pc players to slow their helm turn rate. Currently, when at the helm, pressing "A" rotates the helm at a fixed speed to the left, and holding "D" rotates the helm at a fixed speed to the right. This works well enough, except when I want to make a fine tuned adjustment, for example centering the wheel on the golden spoke. Centering the wheel is very tedious, as I have to tap "A" and "D" back and forth repeatedly until I finally get lucky enough for the spoke to stop dead center. Sometimes this takes a second of finagling, and sometimes I sit there for like 10 seconds and then just give up and tell one of my Xbox crew mates to fix it. It would very nice if I could hold down a key to slow the movement, like how you can hold down a key to enable slow walking. With this modifier, I could turn the wheel, then hold this new keybind to slow down the turn rate to a much slower rate, allowing for fine tuned adjustments.

Jumping 360 killshot with EoR. I hate to complain. But maaaaaaaaaaan that CPU keyboard and mouse kills me. Next time ya scurvy Dogg
    Aaaarggghhhh

This post is deleted!