been away for a while and need help

• I started playing sea of thieves at launch but ive been away for the past year i think and there is so much stuff added im a little lost.

The skeleton NPC boats are amazing, im so happy they're in the game now! i mean theres so much been added but they're my favorite

the bit i don't understand is the emissary part? and i can only afford one so if anyone can explain i would appreciate it.

Views
  • The emissaries are there for players willing to risk additional PvP in return for a boost in loot and reputation in the faction you choose. Some players have misunderstood the system and have come to the forums to complain about the additional PvP. Make no mistake, joining the emissaries was intended to put pressure on you from other crews. They will want to take your flag. Here is a good introduction to the system. He goes through it a little too quickly for some reason but the details are in there.

And welcome back.

• @kenneth-mcgrew
    so you choose a faction to represent and then you raise their flag by voting at the appropriate table.
    there are 5 ranks and you move up the ranks by doing faction specific stuff (finding treasure for gold hoarders, defeating skellys for OoS, etc).
    the higher your rank the more of a boost you get when selling your loot.

the reapers are a faction about pirating. you can raise the flag at any outpost but you can only sell at the reapers hideout (but they buy anything). raising the reapers flag will make you visible on all players maps though, but getting up to level 5 while flying the reapers flag will let you see other players on your map (and letting you pirate more)

being sunk with your flag up will put your flag down and lose your ranks. it’ll also leave a flag that is valuable to the reapers (all about the pirate life for them).

hitting rank 5 will also let you get some special emissary missions from your faction.

if you look at the tables you can sometimes see little wooden ships on them. each ship is a player ship that is currently representing that faction. you can use this to see who is doing what and maybe keep out of each other’s way (or maybe team up)

i’m... i think that covers most of it?

• @quixoticrocket
    oh, there are also monthly ledgers that you can see on the website - go to your overview and then leaderboards at the bottom.

you get rewards for finishing the month in different positions on the board (sails and titles - same rewards each month so if you miss it you can try again).

also remember to lower your flag (vote at the table again) before logging off and you get a little extra gold and rep

• It should be noted, you buy the emissary flag once, then you have the option to raise it or remove it whenever you are at the appropriate table.

You will not have to pay to raise it every single time you wish to raise it! It's a one time purchase for unlimited use.

• @Kenneth-Mcgrew welcome back!

@quixoticrocket sagte in been away for a while and need help:

but getting up to level 5 while flying the reapers flag will let you see other players on your map

correction - it lets you see other emissarys on the map, and you dont know what shiptype it is, but they have a emissary flag of any level.

hitting rank 5 will also let you get some special emissary missions from your faction.

excep for reapers, they dont have any bonus mission.

@PirateCrob said:

It should be noted, you buy the emissary flag once, then you have the option to raise it or remove it whenever you are at the appropriate table.

additionally: the ship needs to be close and if you are in a crew you need more than half of them to vote up or down.

• thanks that makes sense, im not really into PVP probably because i suck at it so i'd rather just go about my day collecting stuff, not drawing more attention to myself and avoiding other ships.

• @kenneth-mcgrew said in been away for a while and need help:

thanks that makes sense, im not really into PVP probably because i suck at it so i'd rather just go about my day collecting stuff, not drawing more attention to myself and avoiding other ships.

Good choice then. There is more than enough content to keep you busy without participating in the emissaries. They will be there if/when you feel ready.

• @kenneth-mcgrew
    agree good choice than and never forget, all comes by the way and it's only cosmetics, titles and horizontal progression you wont miss anything significant and it does not matter when you swing that shiny cutlass or wear this or that hat etc...

If i see a emissary, no matter what i have hoisted or not hoisted i expect them they have willingly accepted to be contested and welcome PvP.
    Last weekend a Reaper 5 attacked me, i needed to flee first because i had not much supplies, i luckily got some from barrels flaoting around and when i thought i can give it a try i did.
    Now the two seem to get in trouble and decided to leave me alone and sail away, but now i've tasted blood and had nothing to loose and so i chased them all across the map, also because i knew they had a good haul of booty plus the Reaper 5 Flag.
    Sunk them at RH and they didnt lower the flag and asked me while behind why i did it.
    I said: there's a commendation to sell R5 flags.

Views
1 out of 9