FOTD is a beacon of doom, is it worth starting it?

• Have you noticed what happens when you start FOTD on pretty empty server? Suddenly ships show up, park around islands surrounding FOTD and scheme strategy to battle you.
    So Is it worth even starting FOTD anymore?
    I had argued this with several crews. On more that few occasions we started FOTD and 4 other ships would show up at the islands surrounding it, and it becomes constant battle. You know its bad when on 5 ship server you see 4 ships surrounding you like a pack of hungry wolves. Plus you usually are battling skilled crews. Its mini arena but with less cannonballs.
    What are the tricks to finish FOTD in those situations ?

Views
  • FOTD isn't worth the time or trouble for a lot of people that are going to do it anyway. The loot is awesome but that gold can be made doing other things that are far less of a target and pain. A person can do a fleet as a reaper and hit grade 5 and start selling in 20-30 minutes before anyone even really starts paying attention to them

Like FOTD? do it
    Like PVP? do it
    Commendation completionist? live event? go for it

Casual pvers? open crew? new? inexperienced? don't waste your time there are better ways to grind for you.

A lot of people that do it shouldn't be doing it imo

• But that is what makes fotd so fun

• @wolfmanbush said in FOTD is a beacon of doom, is it worth starting it?:

FOTD isn't worth the time or trouble for a lot of people that are going to do it anyway.

That is my thought exactly as well. With everybody server hoping (regular players and streamers) to find servers with active FOTD, I feel like collecting lights its such complete waste of time because chance of finishing that fort are slim to none. Even if you are the best of the best, you will be battling so many crews that you will run out of supplies.
    Maybe Rare can make FOTD stacked with extra supplies when gets activated (drop extra storage crate with 100 cannonballs and wood planks and food)?

• @jadescissors32 said in FOTD is a beacon of doom, is it worth starting it?:

@wolfmanbush said in FOTD is a beacon of doom, is it worth starting it?:

FOTD isn't worth the time or trouble for a lot of people that are going to do it anyway.

That is my thought exactly as well. With everybody server hoping (regular players and streamers) to find servers with active FOTD, I feel like collecting lights its such complete waste of time because chance of finishing that fort are slim to none. Even if you are the best of the best, you will be battling so many crews that you will run out of supplies.
    Maybe Rare can make FOTD stacked with extra supplies when gets activated (drop extra storage crate with 100 cannonballs and wood planks and food)?

Not gonna change anything. It's the slaughtering hole and predators are gonna feed. It's an event that attracts inexperienced players like tin foil to a racoon and the skilled hunters are going to succeed most of the time on random servers. The skill gap is too wide and the booty too bountiful.

A lot of people struggle dealing with loss on this game. They should not do the riskiest event in the game where there is an entire business modeled around destroying them

• @wolfmanbush So maybe if Rare puts back Fate Of Damned quests from Larina there would be more FOTDs open giving better chance to finish one up. Or have one Quest combining all 6 lights?

• @jadescissors32
    Diplomacy...Diplomacy could be the key...i said " could" and not " is"... Before you start a FOTD , sail around the world , find a ship maybe 2 and try to make an Alliance with them and see if they are loyal to it . Help them too if needed , if you feel that they keep their word then go for it together with your Alliance ships... Any hostile crew will think twice if they attack 2 or 3 ships...Stay loyal and maybe they stay loyal as well, after that get a second Ritual Skull and repeat the fight , you may not feel like sharing but believe me , in the long end you will end up with more than endless fighting and empty hands...

@wolfmanbush So maybe if Rare puts back Fate Of Damned quests from Larina there would be more FOTDs open giving better chance to finish one up. Or have one Quest combining all 6 lights?

FOTD is a cool event but the reality is that it's just gonna be something for alliance servers to cheese and easy pickin's for skilled and competent crews.

If they ever get rid of alliances then they should bring in easier to start FOTD's like you said a voyage that will get you all the lights in one quick voyage. I wouldn't do it as long as alliances exist as it's mainly a benefit for them. More FOTD's does increase the chance of getting one done a bit but most players are still gonna be less skilled than their attackers on any random server even if the server hopping death squads are preoccupied with more events.

• @jadescissors32

What @Clumsy-George Said is to be more pirate and the real but lost soul of SoT!

But hey i bet i will get dislikes for my suggestion, but why not hop Servers and make a premade Alliance with Friends you really trust and do it with 2,3 or even 4 ships and then wait for the PvP hoppers to come and beat them!

Fight the exploiters by using their weapons and exploit by yourself!

And now see the hippocrits rise again :-D

• @jadescissors32 yes, if you want an old school fight for the fort. FOTD is meant to recreate the battles over forts that took place in the early period of sea of thieves. If you don't want the fight, than no, it's not worth it.

• @jadescissors32

The whole point of the FotD is to send out a beacon, a huge skull, calling out to all those willing to contest you for it.

A trick to complete it? Is to stay aware of those around you, be prepared before you go in, optimize your strategy to finish it and be quick in loading up the ship with its goodies. Gather up the kegs around the island and place them in one central location that you can see. Decide once completed whether you want to risk transferring the mega kegs, use the mega kegs as a defensive weapon or simply blow them up and take them out of play. Be ready to defend yourself.

Is it worth it? This is really subjective, if you don't enjoy PvP... the answer is no, if you enjoy PvP and fighting over a pile of loot yes. It is all depending upon how confident you and your crew are, how much you enjoy PvP and all that.

• Worth it?
    Yes it is. Better loot and for those looking for pvp it best place for it.

Once someone starts it, it’s an open buffet.
    People want pvp should start this fort

Tho, sadly I’ve done fotd few times with no interactions because some don’t want to deal with it. But wait it out until it’s done then swoop in. :/

• @wolfmanbush I honestly have not seen many alliances working out around FOTD. That one Athena chest at the end usually is alliance breaker :)
    More FOTD would mean less chance getting attacked by yet another PRO crew.

@stundorn So I totally like that idea, but I have to admit its hard to find crew willing to start FOTD and wait for server hoppers to attack us :) Especially you are fighting waves of empty ships. I managed that only once where I took over ship with lights started FOTD with a stash of powder kegs hidden near by and got two of friends to join me.. It was black pajama party for 2 hours straight with multiple ships in default skins battling like crazy. It was so brutal I think skeletons galleons started avoiding that area too and did not want any part of it. If there was some easy way to get lights I would have done that more often.

• @jadescissors32 sagte in FOTD is a beacon of doom, is it worth starting it?:

@stundorn So I totally like that idea, but I have to admit its hard to find crew willing to start FOTD and wait for server hoppers to attack us :) Especially you are fighting waves of empty ships. I managed that only once where I took over ship with lights started FOTD with a stash of powder kegs hidden near by and got two of friends to join me.. It was black pajama party for 2 hours straight with multiple ships in default skins battling like crazy. It was so brutal I think skeletons galleons started avoiding that area too and did not want any part of it. If there was some easy way to get lights I would have don't that more often.

dont ask for easy ways to get lights, get them and dont cheese the flame of shame but earn it :D

• I’ve done a bunch of FOTD.

Many uncontested.

I think this new Twitch/YouTube Trend of Server Hopping may have made it a bit more difficult as of late.

I’ve met a lot of people recently that haven’t “Done” it. I was surprised.

Like anything in this game, the key to being successful is to be ultra aggressive and have a ton of cannonballs!

If it’s heavily contested (especially with Server Hoppers) it’s gonna come down to a battle of attrition.

So again, lots of cannonballs!

• @jadescissors32

Should play on my server because NO one ever shows up after I start an FoTD.

I like to think that regions play a lot into the types of players you will run into because I've done FoTD solo taking my time really letting it drag on in hopes of finding SOMEONE or anyone to fight with. Almost always a let done.

I say region because when my crew-mate from the other side of the world does it or they join in on someone in a different region, they fight off like 4 ships a minute. Now my crewmate could just be pulling my leg to get under my skin because it REALLY works when I get on and he tells me of these epic battles of ships just coming after them left and right, and I sit on my servers with crickets and tumble weeds. Tumble weeds.....AT SEA.

I don't care that players are being attacked nor do I care about the percieved risk or unfairness that players go through when starting the event.

I would rather the event be on its own special timer where it spawns every 4 hours or so, that way maybe I can get players to think "OH SNAP the forts up, lets go people lets go"

• Well, hoist your reaper flag and start collecting colourful flames and sink some skelly ships to get your ritual scull, and you are almost reaper emissary level 5 when you trigger the FOTD. What better way to get some PvP action? You dont even need to chase anyone as they will come to you... and if they carry flags, all the better.

Dont try to hide or be sneaky when doing the fort... there is no point as it is the ultimate PvP beacon, just as it was meant to be. Enjoy what it has to offer and embrace it for what it is. :)

Ghostfire

• Oh I totally enjoy battles, its just takes too long to collect lights to get them. I have not lost FOTD loot in long time. I may have lost one chest, because while battling one crew another sneaks in, finishes boss and swims with Athena, but I haven't lost whole FOTD.
    I am guessing in the long string of battles we must have battled some streamers too, simply because there were all kinds of theatrics involved , and crews were too well organized for being just random crew.

• I joined a fairly decent LFG crew last night and we stacked 4 FOTD's totally uncontested. We did see 2 brigs and a couple of sloops in the server and we was a grade 5 emissary.

Not a single ship came. It was boring beyond words. I'd much rather we were attacked because I prefer to fight than just PVE.

Oh I totally enjoy battles, its just takes too long to collect lights to get them. I have not lost FOTD loot in long time. I may have lost one chest, because while battling one crew another sneaks in, finishes boss and swims with Athena, but I haven't lost whole FOTD.
    I am guessing in the long string of battles we must have battled some streamers too, simply because there were all kinds of theatrics involved , and crews were too well organized for being just random crew.

this is regional and time of day but also the population is growing which is going to fill servers with less hostile and skilled pirates

Just luck of the draw

• @xultanis-dragon Oh yeah its definitely region/time of day thing. The only time I had FOTD unchallenged was when everybody was grinding Fate of Damned and I joined open crew and end up on alliance server with 5 ships in alliance parked next to FOTD. It was whole day of FOTD. Everybody was raising reaper, and lowering after 5 bars than raising again.
    Otherwise there are always some epic battles over FOTD. King of the Hill style.

• I start FoTD to invite people for PvP. Unfortunately, I find lately no one bothers coming to fight us for it.

Views
21 out of 22