What is the point of Athena Voyages?

• Been PL for a while now, and dropped my first* Athena today, and ran the Athena flag. I knw that Athena voyages gave you a bunch of different things to do - cargo runs, skeleton crews, etc.

What counfounded us was that very little we did counted towards our Athena grade. Sink a skelly, fine. Drop a meg, fine. Dig up some cheap athena cargo box, fine.

But all of the chests and gems and skulls and everything else we picked up along the way, none of it counted towards grade and none of it could be sold to the Mysterious Stranger, so what was the point?

We got to about grade 2.5 before we just dumped it and decided to go back to hoarders emissary.

Did we miss some kind of grand finale that was supposed to have our knees all a-quiver, or are regular Athena quests as worthless as we perceived them to be?

Views
  • @vin-the-rat after you complete the initial missions a new map appears that leads to a chest of legends. And though it is slow, if you get to athena emissary lvl 5 I believe you get a map with 3 chests of legends.

• @william-flint said in What is the point of Athena Voyages?:

@vin-the-rat after you complete the initial missions a new map appears that leads to a chest of legends. And though it is slow, if you get to athena emissary lvl 5 I believe you get a map with 3 chests of legends.

That sounds awful, especially considering that none of the other stuff you pick up along the way is worth more than base value.

• Hoist your Athena emissary flag, and do 1-2 Thieves Haven Athena missions. That will get you to level 5, and you get the emissary bonus maps.

Athena Thieves Haven will get you lots of Athena trinkets (skulls, boxes, chalices...) and some Athena megakegs if you are lucky. Those things will add to the Athena emissary progress.

Normally one Thieves Haven run is enough, if you do some side things to get to the emissary level five. Level 5 will give you 3 new maps that have a higher chance of giving Athena loot, and then a fourth map with 2 Athena chests. (If i remember correctly.)

Then sell everything at level 5, and get LOTS of Athena progress.

Normal Athena missions are not really worth doing, Thieves Haven runs are the way to go. (And those missions can be bought for doubloons from the Bilge Rats shop).

• @vin-the-rat maybe. But it's not like the gold is scarce anyway. The main draw is leveling up athenas faster. And if you get to lvl 5 the map you get with 3 chests means you are functionally skipping visits to 24 islands.

• Emergent skeletons have more hp with an athena active. Youll also occasionally have a gunpowder skeleron spawn with a megakeg too!

• It's been a while since I've done regular Athena's - we sticked to Roar Athena's. These have some (5 or so) purple Athena boxes, trinkets and skulls that give emissary rep when found and Athena rep when turned in.

• @william-flint I think the Athena Quest score 1 Athena Chest and the Emissary Grade 5 Quests score you 1 Athena Chest and 1 Legendary Keg. The Gilded Voyages given out once a year give you 3 Athena Chests.

They may have changed it, as it’s been a while since I’ve completed a standard Athena Quest, but I think those numbers are correct.

• @promotordj you could very well be right, I don't think my crew has gotten up to athenas 5 since the emissary update. In any case, even if there is just 1 extra that's still 8 islands skipped, plus the bonus keg.

• @Vin-The-Rat In addition to PvE events, completing bonus bottle voyages will help raise your Athena emmisary levels faster too.

• @william-flint said in What is the point of Athena Voyages?:

@vin-the-rat after you complete the initial missions a new map appears that leads to a chest of legends. And though it is slow, if you get to athena emissary lvl 5 I believe you get a map with 3 chests of legends.

Did you ever make an emissary voyage from athena?
    You get 2 chapters, in the first 1 riddle map with a treasure chest with at least 1 athena treasure. Then 1 x mark the spot map with 7 athena items (rare chance to get a athena gpb, and even rarer chance to get a athena chest) and 1 skeleton map with 4 captains, everyone gives you one athena skull.
    In chapter 2 you get a x mark the spot map with 1 athena chest and 1 athena gpb

• @vin-the-rat better stay with the thieves haven run voyage...they are more risky, but get better stuff, you grade up faster AND they are finished faster

Views
9 out of 12