Sloop fleeing relentless brigantine. Any tips?

• Lets say you are a solo slooper and a fast brigantine is on you.

You sail into the wind, hug islands, anchor turn the whole lot and they just dont stop chasing. Lets say they're that kind of crew that will invest hours chasing you and you cant really be bothered.

For me i think my only option is to fight.

Id opt for kegs and make it easy to keg by doing so nesr islands or rocks where they have limited places to dodge, and use my waves to my advantage. Its what @Sneakler mentioned in his tips video. The guy is legendary you should check his videos if you get the chance.

However...aside from kegs and direct fighting im out of options.

Either that or lure away one direction and rowboat in the other.

Or head to shores of gold which is risky of wind not on your side..

So that exact situation i described above. What would you do?
    Would you do anything differently?
    If so what?

Or is that pretty much it?

You can never be too old to learn new tricks.

Views
  • I just fight them

Unless they are an average crew and I death circle them into oblivion I'm probably going to eventually sink because players don't have to be very good to 3v1 sword and blunder spam me and kill me eventually.

alt text

Win some lose some but if I'm by myself and I'm being attacked there will be a firefight

• @daringclarky

Get them in narrow spaces to get easy grabs on their ladders, if they are good at ladder defense then you have some fancy plays you can do with chain shots and the environments - using land cannons, tower cannons or even events (though it comes at a risk of leaving your ship alone/being shot at yourself). These are just stall tactics in many cases, it isn't going to sink them unless you completely out class them and/or execute it perfectly (same goes for keg plays, I personally do not like carrying them around when on a sloop - so I need to gather them during the chase - used it to often against others by simply landing a single EoR shot). An alternative is to use your ship as a decoy while doing a rowboat play when out of line of sight (once again comes at a risk).

My advice learn to do drive by sells, gain enough distance to get to an outpost close enough to jump off with the most important loot that you can sell before their cannon flight warriors can come in, till you have nothing worth losing anymore that you place value on. Then decide whether you want to fight, scuttle or take them on a tour of the world by entering the Roar, Storm, Cloud events and the lot.

In the end, regardless of the ship the crew that is chasing, the only true manner in which to stop a chase is to sink them or break their will to follow you.

• I am mainly a solo slooper, I would say my pvp skills are above average at this point but there were times when I wasn’t as good. Now, I’d fight everytime. But in the old days one of my personal strategies was to lead them right into the storm, let my ship go on its course and try to board them in the chaos of the storm. Last ditch effort kinda like others have said, if you have the distance, swing by an island and drop everything off and send your ship in another direction, wait for them to sink you or you scuttle and wait it out a while until they sail off somewhere and then retrieve your ship and come back for the stashed goods. Reminds me of the old days of people chasing fort keys, my oh my were those the days, chasing or being chased for the most valuable thing in the game at the time, the stronghold key

• @CotU42 offers good advice.

To expand on it, I recommend sailing towards islands with cannons (forts and the sea dog tavern in the center work best). Make sure that you have several cannonballs in your inventory, that you're sailing into the wind, and that there's no rocks or islands in your path, then hop off your ship, swim to the island, and wait at a cannon. If you have time, make sure to remove any powder kegs from your position (only applies if you're at a fort) so they won't detonate and kill you if the enemy returns fire.

Once you have a clear shot at your pursuing ship, hit their masts with chain shot (or use an anchor ball) to stop them, then pelt them with cannonballs. Most smart players will return fire or send someone over to kill you, so shoot yourself over to their ship after several shots to further distract them. If you can prevent them from repairing, they'll sink.

Views
1 out of 5