[Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion

• @cotu42 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@captainskandalf

If you want that PvP is always rewarding regardless of whether you have treasure or not? A bounty system that if you defend well, entices others to hunt you down even more? Do you truly believe this will not make the seas even more kill on sight, as now everyone is worth it at all times? Wouldn't this increase the hostility upon the waves and be an even bigger outcry of those that complain about being sunk, while they carried no treasure? Keep in mind many complaints are of people that also have nothing to risk other than their supplies.

The point of the system is not to punish. And people who defend are not the target there. Odds that you're constantly attacked are less than being the aggressor. People doing pve aren't looking for pvp, they might be later on after they are done with pve, but that's another choice for them to make. They are not attacking to defend against other pirates as frequently as those who seek to attack. So the natural curve of the bounty system already solves this thing. The higher bounties will always be on the pvp players heads, not vice versa. No matter how successful you're at defending your ship. Only exception is the FoTD, but that's a pvp hotspot, already known to the entire server by the one very distinquished skull on the sky. You go there odds are you'll be getting some bounty levels regardless if you start the fort or attack the ones doing it. Anyone successfully defending off an attacker, their bounty increases but not at the rate of the aggressor, who does nothing than hunt pvp. You sink that one ship when attacked and the attacker goes to the next target and the next target after that whilst you'll continue your voyage doing pve. This was the point of the bounty system. The guy digging up chests isn't running around gathering bounty levels, they defend when needed once or twice a session, i don't know.. If you do your PVE correctly and keep your eye on the horizon etc evasive tactics, your bounty level will never increase, if they still don't want to the bounty to increase they can just run and avoid as they've done before. If the bounty on you is something that scares you, it's pretty easy to avoid, don't sink other ships. The point of the system was to make the people who actively search pvp to have a gold or value on them to other players on the server. Let's say you're Pace, you don't do voyages like ever, you don't do tall tales, like ever, you don't do forts like ever, you count on other people doing them for you and then you pirate the loot of them. This is pretty much the guy who would probably have the highest bounty on their head in the leaderboards and has entire servers hunting their head. Not the guy who randomly gets attacked and manages to fight off the attacker. If they even manage to defend, their bounty value growth would be slow, real slow. The pvpve'r who does their voyage and then goes hunting pvp, well their bounty depends on how successful their hunt is. Did they sink anyone, are they good at pvp. If they are then they will get recognized as such. They are actively searching pvp so now the pvp will search them, cause of the bounty. If there's a grade 5 bounty (for example Pace on the server) worth a million gold and visible like a xmas tree on the map and a grade 1 bounty (guy who defended himself once) worth like 50k and not yet visible on the map, let's say grade 2 makes you visible on the map and grade 3 revels your boat type on the map and grade 4 reveals your leaderboard rank. And then there's 3 other ships on the server. Are they all going to attack and hunt the random 50k bounty or the 1 million gold bounty? You do the math. If you're aiming to do a bunch of Athena speed runs next week. Maybe just maybe you lay low on pvp on the week before if you don't want to be light up like a xmas tree on the map the entire next week you're doing Athena runs. It controls the flow naturally. If you're fine being the target and constantly being attacked by other players in the hopes of claiming the bounty off you. Well more power to you. Keep it up and hope you survive. But if you're the random pve noob who does tall tales, this will never be you, unless you accidentally go and sink a bunch of enemy player ships, purely on accident.

Does it remove killing on sight entirely, no. Me as a player who never attacks, am i going to get sunk and killed still, for no reason. Sure, absolutely. BUT at least i know that the person who sunk me, if they keep doing that to everyone they come across. Soon enough they will be hunted down and someone will claim some money from their head. Even the best galleon crew in the game is no match to 4 other galleons in an alliance working together all simultaneously trying to kill you for your bounty. No matter who you are, you're going to sink. You can only 1vX so many players at the same time.

And then there's the bail out system tied to it. Is it worth killing in sight and sinking a ship that's carrying one Captains chest and nothing else worth 1000g. When sinking them your ship becomes worth 50k for others to sink. And if you want to remove the bounty by paying the npc to do so, it'll cost you 25k gold. Are you going to think about killing on sight without making sure the enemy players ship is worth sinking or are you going to sink it regardless? Is it worth it.. If you want to have the bounty, you'll still sink everyone, but your average random Joe might think twice to KoS.

If you have a grade 5 bounty on your head odds are you've been a naughty person and sunk way too many ships. Now others can come and claim the bounty off your head. You're notorious, you're known, you've got your moment in the spotlight showing that hey you're a bad *** pirate, but you're now also worth something to other players in the game. It can be a tool to gloat to others of your pvp skill, whilst also being a target for others to try and take your glory and earn a coin when they kill you. How does this promote killing on sight? Unless you absolutely desire to be hunted on. Then you kill everyone and all you see, but here's the catch. I'd argue most of the so called pvp'rs here don't want to be the prey, they want to be the hunter.. Am i right? So there's now a choice to be made before you randomly kill on sight? Do i kill everything on sight until everyone comes together and kills me or do i actually think about who to kill and when and control my trigger finger when it's worth the cost it brings. Unless you know you can carry the grade 5 bounty, why would you go killing everyone insight, cause it makes the bounty on your head even bigger to the point that entire servers just want to kill you, they don't want to kill the others cause they are not worth their time, they want to kill the guy with the biggest bounty.

The emissary system has tried to create these type of situations where both sides always bring something of value. By having people opt into a situation where you indicate I am always worth coin and open for battle. Empty or not, most likely people will try and sink you. You want to forcefully have people take part in it?

The emissary flags value is closer to zero than worth it, unless you actually are flying reaper colors. The mentioned system above isn't forcing you to anything. PVP is always a choice, you can always choose not to pvp as many have said. Running away doesn't grant any bounties to anyone. It would now be the risk, you or anyone as a pvp'r takes. Just like the PVE guy takes a risk digging up that chest of theirs, they choose to take it when they dig it up, that any moment some other guy comes and steals it. This is the exact same for the opposition. You make a choice when you turn your boat towards the island with idle boat and go and sink them. That you gain a rep as a pirate. Who's ship and life are now worth taking out. It might be the guy who you just sunk that 2 hours later after you've sunk 13 other boats that comes to claim the gold on your head. And that guy gains 1 bounty level from killing you, when you've gained 13 in levels in the last 2 hours. That's the point in the system. Active pvp players are worth something to fight against.

You state a majority of PvEvP players don't do both at once, which I agree with, they unload their ships before heading into battle. However to state it doesn't matter that 10 mins prior they had tons of loot on board, that this is irrelevant to the discussion is false. People want to create the picture that those that attack others never are at risk, while the reality is they take those same risks. They might manage their risks better, know how to avoid PvP better, sell more frequently and engage in PvP only on their terms. There is no real way to ensure in a sandbox game that both sides bring equal amounts of rewards for the others.

Sure the bounty might not be as big as fotd full haul, but that would be something instead of nothing or a ship full of supplies. Which is something i still don't understand. Why are supplies something of a value here? People defend it like supplies are the end all be all thing in the game. They are free to gather from any box and barrel and the ship spawns with enough supplies to sink 1-3 other ships as standard. You spawn in outpost, spend 2 minutes to gather supplies and you have enough to last 6 hours. How does that compare in value of a 100k gold from a fort or 2-3 hours time spent on athena voyage? It doesn't, it doesn't even a fraction. So the 2 minutes of gathered supplies should be worth enough for the defender to fight against the attacker? What's the value? one full crate of bananas sold to merchant? Whoopsie doo. That's some serious coin. Gonna buy a sailor hat with all that money. Had to fight for my life and my athena and all i got was this lousy box of bananas and can't forget the attacker who lost the battle and the selfrespect they lost in the process, won that too. Whiiii! It almost killed me when i didn't choose to attack myself and almost lost 4 hours of my life for nothing, but at least i got those 2 things to show for it.

Those that do both PvE and PvP in the world have been on both sides of the coin. They should understand that at times they hold the treasure and other times it will be the other way around. There is no perfect system that won't promote the KoS mentality and award those for taking out empty low risk ships.

That was the whole point of the above system. By actively seeking to pvp and actually succeeding in it, you're painting a bigger target on your own "behind". To me it sounds like a reasonable reason not to keep sinking and killing everything on sight, unless you're prepared that entire servers and fleet of ships are soon coming after you like 3v10 situations. I mean if you want a challenge it will be coming for you, but if you're a random person seeing a random ship with no emissary, no paints , 1 solo slooper on deck and no visible treasure glowing, you might actually think twice if it's wise to straigh out attack. Maybe.. just maybe you'll get closer and talk a while, or sneak in and see if that ship is even worth sinking. If it is you sink them. But if it's an empty boat and nothing to gain, except you'll get a bounty of 50k on your own head when doing it.. Well the choice is yours, but at least it's another choice, instead of you just manhandling some noob who spawned first time in the game.

If we create a world where people do the PvE without the PvP, it becomes an easy menu choice. As you state PvEvP people don't engage in both at the same time for the majority, so they would choose at the menu screen.

My point of that was in the previous post. The solution to that is a Sea of Thieves single player game. Not this game, no pve mode for this game. An entire stand alone game, with no multiplayer. But that's a whole other subject. Then the choice becomes do you pay for the full title to solo sloop or continue SoT.

It is a balancing act, where everyone at some point has risks they take and when they don't. This is done by having everyone engage in the activities in a shared PvEvP world. It is what makes the game a PvEvP one, it isn't suited for everyone. Yet it is what also many actually enjoy and why they play specifically this game for.

Why the balancing act cannot be done in every fight not just the fights where you're the aggressor who is favored? The whole point of the bounty system is that both parties bring something to the battle, not just the pve guys. The PvPvE players might bring both. They might have a bounty on them and loot, but their bounty won't be as high as the players who are hardcore pvp, who will never dig up a single chest, unless it's stolen. They have their own glory and notorious name, but it comes with a price. A price on their head, if someone bests them, that person gains more than just a notch on the belt. And the PVE guys who never aggro on others, well their bounties will be as low as they want. If you've run up to this point you can keep running never ever getting a bounty on your head, ever. Or if in a tough spot and it's a 150k of your loot or sink and die. You might actually defend yourself in that situation. So what if you gain a level 1 bounty on you. If you've made 150k loot and killed a level 5 grade bounty in the process to protect your loot. Your own emissary ( NOT THE BOUNTY ONE) if you have an normal emissary flag is now filled max for killing the aggressor, (granted this was the other suggestion, different from the bounty system) who was trying to steal your loot as reward. Makes a hell of a reason to try and defend your own ship, if in the end 150k is worth like 300k and all you have to do is defend your ship. Think you can afford to pay off the level 1 bounty you received in the process for killing the guy trying to kill you.

So what determines who is the attacker? Two options either the one who shoots first or a reason to carry stuff on your ship. Which ship has more value on them. If the guy coming after you has one marauders chest on their ship or nothing and you have 16 athena chests well there you go.. Or both systems combined.. This might actually encourage pvp attackers to start carrying massive amounts of loot on their ships at all times. Granted that would play the system, but now there's some serious treasure at play. If both parties before the battle already are fighting on the stance of who is recognised as the aggressor and who the defender.

And this is not an unheard system. Actual real pirates where subjects to such bounties by the different military forces and trading companies. Why can't a game about pirates actually have something that's a reflection of the real life. There's authorities making bounties for criminals every day on this planet. Why is the game protecting the pirates who steal and get away with it? If i bring this point up here i'm sure some pvp'r will jump in to defend their side that hey it's a game, chill we just want to have fun and pillage. Well so does the pve side. But there it is.. It's not so convenient when your fun is subject to being ruined is it now? As said all people want to do is make others miserable, that's how they get their kicks. When you're on the receiving end the fun stops and suddenly the game systems are "punishing" only you.

• @wagstr RE the finding of grief, dunno, just good luck I guess. Couple of nights ago I had a session, flying an emissary flag for a good couple of hours and not seeing a sausage. All keyed up to fight for my right to party, scanning the horizon and seeing nothing. Final treasure turn in and taking down of emissary flag I noticed that I'd picked up four fish and a chunk of kraken meat, the daily task was to turn in five fish and I was near a hunter's call. So I figured, what the hell, extra five minutes, fun to drop a daily bounty and sailed off towards the Hunter's Call. On the way, I saw a Galleon in the middle distance headed diagonally away and I thought, never mind, no Galleon is going to divert its path to assault someone clearly just dropping a few fish in at a Hunter's Call, and even if they do, I'm ending the session anyway, what do I care. I landed up at the Hunter's Call, turn in the four fish and pop below deck to cook up my Kraken meat. As its toasting there's a huge crash of ship hitting jetty. Weird, I didn't think I parked that close to the jetty, might as well pop up and have a little check... Sure enough, Galleon, smashed into the Jetty and four guys are stood on my deck. Like, where the hell were you when I wanted some action? As I say, its not really the hardcore griefing, although that does happen. Its just those moments that make you sigh and say "Really?".

• @captainskandalf

Going to respond here in the top section on the bounty system:
    The philosophy behind your bounty system sounds ok, I guess it would all matter how quickly one progresses and how much value it has how quickly. Mainly for those that do some PvP, not necessarily the hardcore ones. For those that stand their ground when attacked, will they get a reasonable bounty quick enough to warrant killing and hunting down? The kill on sight mentality will increase when you see someone with a bounty, because there is a bounty to be gained. It is an interesting concept, how it would work out in practice is where I have my doubts and might be something that Rare could test out.

How would you address it cross sessions, will it reset just like the rest? As when I go hunting, I earn myself a bounty... but should that carry over to the next day that I am out doing PvE, possibly with a different crew?

So what determines who is the attacker?

Why would the system need to determine either? The moment people talk about who attacks first, who carries more treasure... is where they lose me in the system. These type of systems are easily manipulated, the attacker won't know whether the target has treasure on board or not... so a simple castaway might cause them to be labeled as a defender.

The purity of your: Who sinks Who! seems a far better determination on who gets the bounty. Defender, attacker... pirate bounty is pirate bounty.

Real life pirates...

This is a fantasy game, not a depiction of any type of reality. Why is the game protecting pirates? Because the Sea of Thieves is an anarchy environment where pirates rules. There is no navy, there are no authorities to speak of... the authority are those that are the strongest upon the waves. The crew is the authority of their own journey, pure freedom.

But there it is.. It's not so convenient when your fun is subject to being ruined is it now?

This is where I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Every single person on the seas is a willing participant in the game. They choose to set sail and they choose to engage in a PvEvP game. Win or lose, be a sport and accept the fact that the conflict between players is part of the game. They are responsible for their own fun and the largest majority even the pure PvP crews are usually out to have their own type of fun. Be the authority and responsible for your own session. The system isn't punishing you as a PvE player, all the tools are in the game and frankly the defender tends to be the one that controls the situation.

Chases are in favor of the one running, as they dictate where it goes and has the ability to jump off and board.
    The one at the island is the one that can see the other come and prepare, be well positioned, lay ambushes, etc.

Not saying a bounty system couldn't work, but that would be there as a reward for sinking people and as you state claim a name for yourself as a notorious pirate. It should not be added to try and punish people, but to reward successful PvP and maybe favoring the lesser experienced PvP crew more than the experienced one. Which frankly till that last part was what I thought you were aiming at, which I believe has some merit.

My point of that was in the previous post. The solution to that is a Sea of Thieves single player game. Not this game, no pve mode for this game. An entire stand alone game, with no multiplayer. But that's a whole other subject. Then the choice becomes do you pay for the full title to solo sloop or continue SoT.

You realize this is super demanding on the machines that would run it, the game is a server/client setup... where the server runs most of the calculations. Making a different game is really not worth it, play a different game if you don't like this one. I rather not have Rare create an entire stand along game while those resources could be used in this one.

Also, if you want to be solo... be good. I find this always some weird excuse of people. Solo sloops are viable, they are not some type of pirate left at the mercy of everyone they meet. I have grinded most of my Athena rep solo, most of the world events even before they were nerfed etc. I hunt pirates even... Want to be a solo captain, be good at it... else simply seek a crew, it is a multiplayer co-op PvEvP game after all.

• @gtothefo

It's sometimes counterproductive to sail away. Sail towards them but not directly at them. Don't look scared but don't be a direct threat either (unless you're up for it of course!).

I saw a ship coming in to the outpost but still a long way out this afternoon while solo and set sail immediately towards them. If they're seriously good players one of two things will happen. Either you you'll battle and may well be sinking soon (you just turned in right so doesn't matter) or they are turning in a fortune and won't take the risk and will sail on past.

If they are not so good they invariably will not attack, especially if they're turning in, and you'll more than likely sink them if they do.

If you stay at the outpost they will probably attack (they can't take the risk) or if you run they will all chase 9/10 guaranteed.

• @mysteriousrosie said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@cotu42

Well, one of the problems is that (in my experience an opinion as a newbie) will never be able to even learn to play the game as your ship gets sunk even before you're able to reach it..

My advise is in this case to look up tips, tricks (Phuzzybond youtube channel is one I personally would advise, but there are more) and even better a crew to hang out with. Learning the game is difficult in established franchises in general and I personally am always in favor of the developers helping new players. Just blanket offering tools, features and such however is problematic, as not just only new players will use them.

If you find that you are unable to reach your ship before the other party is nearby, it means you are to focused on your task at hand and not enough with the horizon. Every so often, take a break from the PvE voyage and seek the high ground and scan in a 360 degree.

Ensure you park the ship near to the area where you are, so if you have to head to the other side of a large island... it might be worth grabbing the ship and sailing over there.

When parking raise your sails, raise your anchor, point the ship to the open waters and in range of the beach so you can sword lunge over. That way even if you are just in time back all you have to do is get onboard and drop the sails.

New players need to understand that solo captain, how fun it can be and everything is the most challenging crew size in the game. You are still learning, so maybe putting the difficulty on the highest level might not be the best idea. Don't feel like you are dragging a team down, there are many veterans that gladly bring new people onboard. The quickest and best way to learn is by finding a capable captain to teach you the ropes.

Good luck and happy sailing.

• @combatxkitty said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

That would be nice but most people I see who request PvE servers are requesting full adventure mode with PvP removed. Actually if you so much as suggest a "middle ground" they will get angry about it and say its not good enough. Im all about middle ground. I am actually more of a PvE'er in this game so I would not mind at all a fun extra mode added in but of course it would have to compliment adventure not compete with it.

I agree , no reasonable person would disagree with that but there are a lot of unreasonable people out there. Also whenever I see someone complain about getting spawn camped or sworn at I usually see people give helpful tips as to how to avoid it. I know I have and all I get in response is usually attitude because its not what they want to hear, they want a full PvE server or single player mode 9 times out of 10. This is why these types of discussions usually go nowhere. It would be wonderful if people posted about a PvE mode that isnt full adventure but I see that very rarely.

Yeah well, you seem reasonable, I'm pretty sure I'm reasonable. If we want to see posts like that less rarely there's only one way to make that happen.

True check points do help and really I think Tall Tales are doable in main adventure but I was more so just thinking of a chill thing people can do on their own server.

No, I get that, and its something that could be offered quickly and easily. I also think its one thing that people would totally do without the treasure reward. I do think the line would be over whether you get the commendations and such for doing them though.

So would there be PvP? Not sure what you mean "can use PvP to fuel the challenge" It is kinda interesting though time speed challenges however there would need to be new ones created or it would get boring quick. That then falls into Rare having to upkeep the PvE mode more so than Arena. Who knows maybe Rare wouldnt mind that?

What I mean is that I think there's a real difference between direct conflict PvP and indirect conflict PvP. If there's something like a race mode the target can be set and evolve without Rare's direct involvement, the difficulty of setting a top time will increase naturally as other people set better and better times. So players are competing with each other, but once they post a time that time can't be taken off them it can only be bettered, so they can't have that sense of endowed loss that comes from being given something by the game then having it ripped away again.

It might need upkeep, but I feel like setting out a new race track around the same maps is a relatively low grade of upkeep. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be impossible to create a procedurally generated race track system even. To be honest, with speed run treasure hunts you could use the same generating system for the existing maps. So every half hour a new map pops up based on the same system that generates them in game, everyone who takes place gets dropped on the same spawn point but on their own version of the island, fastest x many speeds of the half hour get a reward.

I agree, some do not want any gold being earned outside of adventure and while I think its abit much I can understand I guess, I just personally could give two sh*ts.

Me too, personally, but I do think its something that clearly has significant resistance and I'm not that interested in that point of battle as much as talking about new and alternative ways at looking at the issue.

• @plebochino If a Pirate captain expected their crew to risk their lives for a handful of wooden planks and a banana they'd be voted out of their position pretty swiftly. My point is that the response that this is what Pirates did just doesn't float, Pirates would read a ship's position in the water to see if it was carrying cargo rather than pick up a massive international bounty on their head just for the sake of destruction.

And the point about someone killing me while I'm fishing isn't that its called "Sea of Thieves" its that its not called "Sea of Mild Disappointment". And believe me, when I stop to fish, I make damn sure that there aren't any resources aboard. I'll drop off a storage crate of planks at an Outpost for whoever spawns there first if I need to.

• @xultanis-dragon said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

You aren't picking a crew blind. If you are joining an LFG, chances are the LFG has written what they are planning to do. You can create an LFG as well and post in that you want to do a specific Tall Tale, you aslo have Discord as an option.

Hands up on that one, and I know this was a response to something from a few days back, but being a PC user I didn't have LFG capability installed. I do now. I still mostly solo because I like the challenge, but I have the option when I do feel like having an easier time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure by omitting that the game is not single player they have stipulated that its not for solo play. They labeled the game as online co-op and online PvP. Not to mention the game had been out for almost 3 years before the steam release. Could have done your research on it. I did before buying the game.

How is this Rare's fault?? I find it a huge surprise people are reacting at all. It not stipulated on the page that its single player or that its solo play. I would gather that the game is not suitable for solo play, same thing with other games that are multiplayer but aren't created around playing solo. Like Planetside 2. You can play solo but the game is created around playing as squads or more.

Sorry broski, you don't get to use the Karen defense. Like ordering a pizza saying you want everything on it and then being surprised by the toppings. "They should have told me what everything was!!" -

This though I don't agree with. One of the first few lines of the game's description on Steam is:

"Whether you’re voyaging as a group or sailing solo..."

That's a description intended to attract people who intend to sail solo. If Rare want to put that description up and take the money of people who are pulled in by it I do think they have an onus to then make the experience for those people at least balanced.

Rare did everything they could to FORCE players to play nice and it didn't work. They kept forcing the community apart. The game had more unity in the past where players actually worked together for a cause and players actually played "TOGETHER" before all of the stupid changes.

I'm sorry man but the changes they made didn't promote sharing the world. Rare continued to divide the player base.

You are looking at this as PvE or PvP. I've been trying to get the game to stay PvPvE.

So look, aside from telling me where I'm wrong and my telling you why I think you're wrong about my being wrong, tell me where you're right. You seem to have strong opinions about where the game could be improved, what do you think they should change? How do you think that earlier sense of alliance and teamwork can be bought back?

• @gtothefo But still, that gallion has 4 player's in it, they all decide to come to you for you're 4 wood it's not one persons choice. It doesn't matter what pirates did. They were humens and did they're choices. Were humens to and we do choices in videogame to and that's why my gallion came to you for you're 4 wooden planks.

And to people sinking/killing yoy while you fish. They do as they like. They might sink you because they don't knoe how hostile you are. Fisher can turn into terminator real quick.

• Again I ask the question

If PVE servers are made how would you want it to work?

Or how would you want it to work.
    Instead of discussing why not try to give examples how it could work without changing the every aspect of the game

@captainskandalf

Going to respond here in the top section on the bounty system:
    The philosophy behind your bounty system sounds ok, I guess it would all matter how quickly one progresses and how much value it has how quickly. Mainly for those that do some PvP, not necessarily the hardcore ones. For those that stand their ground when attacked, will they get a reasonable bounty quick enough to warrant killing and hunting down? The kill on sight mentality will increase when you see someone with a bounty, because there is a bounty to be gained. It is an interesting concept, how it would work out in practice is where I have my doubts and might be something that Rare could test out.

Point would be that it doesn't punish either side. The ones who are forced to defend should under no circumstances be the highest bounties. Point is to even the playing fields between good and bad players, to a point. Good players who choose to seek pvp and have success at it. This should come as a point of recognition that they are successful and that others are now seeking to challenge them for their glory, that's the point of making the bounties visible when certain grade. They choose to attack and take the bounty for it. Pvp creates more pvp idea. But it protects the lesser experienced, not necessarily bad players, who get sunk time after time. Not directly on the spot when they are sunk, well yes after a while the system has been running and it creates the mentioned choice of KoS or not. If killing on sight creates a target out of you, it controls how much you do it, unless you just don't care, but i do believe normal players do care. Specially the pvpve'rs . Since as you ask below. The system will indeed carry on between sessions. Matchmaking would prefer open crews to be paired with players of similar bounty levels, unless there's just not enough players in region, then an open crew could become subject of unwilling bounty level. Which on the other hand if undesired by majority of the crew, the brig could be utilised here. If an open random crew of 3 players at bounty level 0 get a bounty level 5 player on their ship they could brig him, negating their bounty level to that of active players. This will not help in closed crews and crews with premades, if you have a crew of 4 all bounty grade 5 brigging one player does nothing. Otherwise the open crew bounty level could be the average combination of the crew. Unless you have a bounty level 4+ player on your crew, then the map will show their leaderboard rank and that your ship has a 4+ player on the crew.

How would you address it cross sessions, will it reset just like the rest? As when I go hunting, I earn myself a bounty... but should that carry over to the next day that I am out doing PvE, possibly with a different crew?

Basically as said, it carries over, you can't just server hop or flag change to get rid of this. Which also affects the killing on sight mechanic. If you plan on going to do PVE the next day, you should have thought about it yesterday, when you sunk 15 solo sloops for fun. Bounty carries on until you pay the 50% bailout off to the bounty faction npc or another player claims it by killing you and sinking your ship or the bounty degrades off. If there's a weekly leaderboard, i'd reckon a week for the bounty fully degrade is reasonable, your actions affect your week of play, but if you get a bounty level 5 on sunday it doesn't magically go away at the end of that sunday, it'll degrade till the next sunday. There's continuity here, you can't just go being an *** in another session and then expect to haul in 4 forts in another without anyone bothering. Pvp is a choice.

So what determines who is the attacker?

Why would the system need to determine either? The moment people talk about who attacks first, who carries more treasure... is where they lose me in the system. These type of systems are easily manipulated, the attacker won't know whether the target has treasure on board or not... so a simple castaway might cause them to be labeled as a defender.

The purity of your: Who sinks Who! seems a far better determination on who gets the bounty. Defender, attacker... pirate bounty is pirate bounty.

It's true the more complicated systems are bound for abuse. I'd argue killing blow will net you a fraction of a bounty level.. For killing pirates i'd say killing 10 pirates or something could be reasonable to get one full level. But sinking a ship is always 1 full level. You don't do that by accident.. Also if you defend your loot and kill 2 guys 4 times during it and manage to run away without sinking the attacker, you wouldn't even get a full level from defending. Sinking a ship is the final action of pvp and most severe. Even as attacker you could just go and kill bunch of pirates, take their chests and not sink them. It would be a valid tactic with less bounty level gained, but it would also create the possibility for the defendant to have immediate revenge without having to sail from the other side of the map. On the other hand if you keep farming spawning players on their ship and don't plan on sinking just to grief them and they are too dump to scuttle.. Well you had your chance to stop killing and leave them be. 5-6 respawn waves of wiping them constantly will quickly net you a max bounty level.

All in all, who sinks a ship gets the level. No matter who started it.
    Difference is if the defender won, he probably won't be too intrigued to continue on the rampage and attack someone else straight away, unlike the attacker might continue doing. And if the attacker keeps coming back and dying and sinking and the defender starts racking up their bounty just by keeping to defend.. Well maybe it's then time for the defender to realize to leave the area, getting no more levels is that simple.

Real life pirates...

This is a fantasy game, not a depiction of any type of reality. Why is the game protecting pirates? Because the Sea of Thieves is an anarchy environment where pirates rules. There is no navy, there are no authorities to speak of... the authority are those that are the strongest upon the waves. The crew is the authority of their own journey, pure freedom.

Well we do have krakens and ghost ships..
    Point was.. it's still a game and game's are for fun.
    They are fun when they are balanced, they don't need to be fair.
    But balanced is preferred, so majority will have an enjoyable experience. Crew is the own journey's captain, but we are still talking about pirates here, and no one knows if authority is coming to Sea of Thieves, even though it's not present now. Maybe with it comes bounties. And it doesn't need authority to have them even.
    Heck bounties are not some police priviledge. If i was some random pirate and there was this dude called Blackbeard back in the day. I thought hey i want to be the most notorious pirate of this sea, but this one dude keeps ruining my mojo. What should i do.. well i do have some coin laying about. How about i get rid of this dude ruining my mojo once and for all. "All the men in the land, who ever kills this Blackbeard dude shall be greatly rewarded for their task." That's my way up top the chain. There's no honor among thieves, right.. You're the second pirate in the leaderboard and you want to be the number one, but the first guy just keeps killing empty sloops with a rate you can't keep up. You pay other pirates to get rid of said number one pirate, when someone claims off the bounty on the rank 1 bounty pirate the rank 2 becomes rank 1. Simple as that. I'm not suggesting that players get to make the bounties (no that would lead to abuse and misuse of the system), no the game generates based on actions as said earlier, but that's the general idea behind this. To be number 1 you bribe to get there.

But there it is.. It's not so convenient when your fun is subject to being ruined is it now?

This is where I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Every single person on the seas is a willing participant in the game. They choose to set sail and they choose to engage in a PvEvP game. Win or lose, be a sport and accept the fact that the conflict between players is part of the game. They are responsible for their own fun and the largest majority even the pure PvP crews are usually out to have their own type of fun. Be the authority and responsible for your own session. The system isn't punishing you as a PvE player, all the tools are in the game and frankly the defender tends to be the one that controls the situation.

Point here was hypocrisy is on both sides. Everyone is here for their own interest and agenda. Would i enjoy a single player format of this game more. Yes, absolutely. Have i been playing SoT since launch, at like 1500 hours or something insane like that.. Yes, also.

That snarky comment is directly about the hypocrisy.
    Pve crowd wants their own mode, but the pvp crowd don't want their prey to go away. Either side the fun lasts as long as it's fun for you the player themself. When it stop being fun, the pitchforks come out.

You play and you learn. Then you improve and adapt. But none of those mean that the game is in perfect state right now. Cause it's not, and this thread already proves it. There's 2 sides to this coin.
    It's not going to fix it for everyone, ever. But improvements and balancing can be made to make it fairer. My whole point was that currently no matter if you're pve, pvp or pvpve'r. Pve-pvp encounter risks currently are one sided, as a single encounter, outside of the fact that the same attacking crew could have been a pve crew 20 minutes prior. That single encounter in the risk aspect is one sided and that's what i'm suggesting fixing. Let the pvp players contribute something to the encounter and the result of it. Something other than hurt feelings and forum rage of being sunk. It will never be 50/50 risk ratio cause the amount of loot on the ships alone differs. But one party hauling 7 hour athena voyages versus 'i just logged in 5 minutes ago' and have nothing to loose and try my luck, just doesn't seem good approach. The 7 hour crew can be prepared and run or defend, but yeah, you can't prepare for everything. What if a kraken gets you and then you're forced to fight the kraken and the attacker simultaneously. Happens.. Kraken drops more loot. The attacker ship doesn't drop or is worth jack****, but you fight it cause you have to. But what if the attacker ship was worth something, not chests of loot, but a bounty, would you still run? Or maybe siege the opportunity.

Chases are in favor of the one running, as they dictate where it goes and has the ability to jump off and board.
    The one at the island is the one that can see the other come and prepare, be well positioned, lay ambushes, etc.

Not saying a bounty system couldn't work, but that would be there as a reward for sinking people and as you state claim a name for yourself as a notorious pirate. It should not be added to try and punish people, but to reward successful PvP and maybe favoring the lesser experienced PvP crew more than the experienced one. Which frankly till that last part was what I thought you were aiming at, which I believe has some merit.

It's not punish people. But the point is neither to just promote good pvp. That's part of it. The bounty on you is both positive and negative thing. One it means you've managed to sink other ships and excel in pvp. It generates more pvp, since people now come after you. The less experienced who get sunk can fly under the radar, at least while they learn, without getting flagged.
    But most of all it is to even out the playing field in a pve vs pvp encounter. Where the defending party with loot to loose is against a pvp party with nothing to loose. Sure there's the no bounty crew that comes after their first pve target, when their bounty has been lifted off by one of the measures. Then they still don't bring nothing to the equation, but the point is this to work in the long run. The longer the automatic degrade time is the better this works. Players will have to be sunk or pay the bailout, if they want a faster exit from being the bounty. But still at that point someone benefits, they either get the bounty money or the aggressor pays their bounty, which for them is either worth it or not. If you've sink nothing but people who carry zero loot, well then the bailout comes from your own pocket.. Your own fault for sinking worthless ships, no one forced you to do that. Or some stolen loot will be used to pay the bailout.
    I edited this part in the previous post. Quote:
    "And then there's the bail out system tied to it. Is it worth killing in sight and sinking a ship that's carrying one Captains chest and nothing else worth 1000g. When sinking them your ship becomes worth 50k for others to sink. And if you want to remove the bounty by paying the npc to do so, it'll cost you 50% of it, 25k gold. Are you going to think about killing on sight without making sure the enemy players ship is worth sinking or are you going to sink it regardless? Is it worth it.. If you want to have the bounty, you'll still sink everyone, but your average random Joe might think twice before KoS."

Point of the system is to encourage interaction before shooting.
    You board, you check if they have loot etc. You don't just mindlessly go sinking everyone, unless they are worth it. Unless you're just a lunatic with 63 million gold for bailouts and no remorse for anything.

You realize this is super demanding on the machines that would run it, the game is a server/client setup... where the server runs most of the calculations. Making a different game is really not worth it, play a different game if you don't like this one. I rather not have Rare create an entire stand along game while those resources could be used in this one.

Well to that end ****ty games come out every week. I'd rather someone actually made a game people actually want to play and i'd see this would be one. There's probably millions of players waiting to get their hands on Cyberpunk right now. I couldn't care less, but if CD project red would lease SoT license from Rare and make a stand alone single player game in the same universe with their resources. Sign me up and where can i send my paycheck.

Point being i like Sea of Thieves, i've been playing since launch.
    But it's not the best game ever, cause it's a multiplayer game, but that described version could actually be. Opinion of a one person.
    But none the less. I've been waiting for the said "perfect game" for about 30 years now, since my first touch in to gaming aaaand it's not here yet. Maybe in the next 30 years or the only way to get one is to be the design lead in the dev team and have 200 people making your reality the only reality.

Also, if you want to be solo... be good. I find this always some weird excuse of people. Solo sloops are viable, they are not some type of pirate left at the mercy of everyone they meet. I have grinded most of my Athena rep solo, most of the world events even before they were nerfed etc. I hunt pirates even... Want to be a solo captain, be good at it... else simply seek a crew, it is a multiplayer co-op PvEvP game after all.

You don't need to be good. You just need to out think everyone else.
    I got robbed out of my third Athena chest and thought never again.
    I grinded my Athena rep alone with a rowboat. The undetected way, no one sees you and no one is looking for a rowboat between the waves.
    You just send your sloop on a wild goose chase and let people sink and chase the empty vessel as they wish. Online map on second monitor, compass, stars and landmarks and orientation as your guide and row row row your boat. Not the whole thing obviously, even that took a year. Just speed run the first steps, no looting no nothing and then for the final island sloop get out of here and rowboat to target and then outpost.

• @captainskandalf

A system like this just promotes killing on sight, it punishes those that want to switch up, have variety in their play... if you don't sink, that means you will be marked as a grade 5 consistently and be a beacon for PVP. You say to consider that:

If you plan on going to do PVE the next day, you should have thought about it yesterday

So... I should never PVE or never PVP or pay the price for wanting a varied style of play? I am a PvEvP player, I am sometimes friendly, sometimes bloodthirsty, sometimes a mix. Sorry, but if the progress carries over, influences my crews and all that... you are telling me that I should just always be a bounty 5 and kill everyone I see, because I will always have to assume people want to murder me for my bounty. Doing PVE doesn't matter, you are a bounty 5, helping out a new player, doesn't matter you are a bounty 5... Why should I drag new players of the community into a highly marked PvP heavy ship just by joining their ship or be forced to pay? I help people that are brand new to the game and a system like this will simply prevent me from doing so or you think I should drag them straight into being a PvP beacon instead of doing the PvE with them and teaching them that, because yeah usually I don't take people out for PVP if they have been playing for a week? We go do a voyage, maybe a world event... if we get into PVP we do our best and either fight or flee based on what they want to do.

I play the game because it is a session based game, where I can choose each time based on my mood and crew whether we do PvE or PvP or a mix. None of my progress is carried over so why should this? I like to solo, so I should just always be marked to be murdered as my head is worth something... even if I am just trying to chill? There are groups that I play with that are heavy PVE focused and groups that are heavy PVP focused... why should I drag my PVP status into my PVE circles? Do you want them to reject me because of my bounty or have me pay up to play with them every time to get rid of it?

You asked me this question:

I'd argue most of the so called pvp'rs here don't want to be the prey, they want to be the hunter.. Am i right?

I am both, yet place a bounty on my head and mark me to be a target and I will hunt and kill on sight always. Want to make a deal, a truce... sorry buddy no can do... I have a bounty and you are going to try and take me out regardless of me being solo or what not. If your goal is to convert people into being high level PVP crews exclusively... this sounds like the perfect solution.

The bounty on you is both positive and negative thing. One it means you've managed to sink other ships and excel in pvp. It generates more pvp, since people now come after you. The less experienced who get sunk can fly under the radar, at least while they learn, without getting flagged.

Yet I don't always want to be tagged and be negatively impacted. Sometimes I would love to have more pvp generated, but also want the option to fly under the radar when I choose. Play the game on my own terms, not have every single session that I ever played determine one style for me to play.

The system would just promote players like myself that are sometimes ultra aggressive or passive to just stick to one style and in my case I will be aggressive, as frankly just being PVE based only is boring. I am not going to pay 25k to get rid of a mark that within a session or two I will have again. Since I would consistently have a bounty, I might as well just roll with it and embrace it. The interactions you state you want, I would stop doing them... I am a high value target, I won't have room to hammer out a truce, be friendly, as in all likelihood you would be either scared of me or go like SOLO WITH A BOUNTY KILL HIM!

It wouldn't help in the PvE vs PvP situation at all, sure it awards PVP and once you get a bounty, either embrace the PVP or pay up? Sounds to me like a secure way to push more people into focusing on PVP and causing even more aggressive behavior.

How does that happen, once you have a bounty... you are or going to be scary or a target. People that PVP with a crew, will be huge targets when they solo... and those that are new tagging along with veterans are more likely to be dragged into their bounties.

It should be session based, just like everything else in the game. Everyone starts at equal footing. If you don't sink and engage in PvP at times, you shouldn't automatically accumulate yourself into a state where PvP will always come and find you.

Well to that end ****ty games come out every week. I'd rather someone actually made a game people actually want to play and i'd see this would be one. There's probably millions of players waiting to get their hands on Cyberpunk right now. I couldn't care less, but if CD project red would lease SoT license from Rare and make a stand alone single player game in the same universe with their resources. Sign me up and where can i send my paycheck.

Games come out every day, which all have a budget and resources that are used to do so. Rare is working on a new game at this moment, yet their Sea of Thieves development team should focus on the current game and not a totally new project.

Point being i like Sea of Thieves, i've been playing since launch.

But it's not the best game ever, cause it's a multiplayer game, but that described version could actually be. Opinion of a one person.

But none the less. I've been waiting for the said "perfect game" for about 30 years now, since my first touch in to gaming aaaand it's not here yet. Maybe in the next 30 years or the only way to get one is to be the design lead in the dev team and have 200 people making your reality the only reality.

The best game ever... in my opinion will always be a multiplayer game. Single player games have an ending, solitude, miss a lot of elements. It is subjective... but we all know the best single player game will be Half Life III (^.^)

• @limend said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

For this i have no idea what to do because i my self have not encountered another crew when i spawn at outpost more than ONES for last year. So because of that i don't understand how new players get OP caped and can't come up with idea. unless they don't do anything for hour and that's why they get camped.

I think that's sort of my point, I think that new players believe that camping happens more regularly than it actually does because it can be hard to get a handle on what actually went on in a session, particularly because the process of getting killed, re-killed, killed on your ship and then your ship sunk, which isn't really camping, its just a thorough SoT killing, can feel like someone is really going for you. If you had a little map afterwards that said, "Look, he wasn't camping that outpost, it was either pure bad luck on your part, or see, he spots you here and follows you in" I think that simple bit of information would help players figure out a little where their personal experience sits in the wider world.

• @wagstr Don't get me wrong, I know how to deal with people when its worth the effort of dealing with them. I'm now at the point where when I'm carrying treasure I know what to do. The times when its annoying is when its really not worth the effort. Like I say, the other day I was literally turning in maybe 300 golds worth of fish to just pop a daily bounty and yes, they turned up because I was below deck cooking up some Kraken, but if I'd seen them I would have just sat there and let it happen anyway. At the end of sessions I often roll into a local Hunter's Call and drop in a few fish and bits that I've accumulated and on no less than three separate occasions I've had Galleons attack me during it. I've sat there before, fishing and seen a Galleon, on the way to sail past, spin around to face me and start coming in and just watched them thinking, really? You're really going to go that far out of your way for a fish that you can't even steal. I usually watch it happen because I'm so amazed that they could be wasting their time that badly and I think that maybe they're just desperate for the chat but every time they came with violent intent. Only one was actively nasty about it, but even with the other two it baffles me why they'd bother.

It is one of the persistently annoying things in the game to be honest when I've got ten minutes left on the end of a play session, I'm ten minutes away from an Outpost and I spot a ship docked there and I know that I've got to do the dumb thing or nothing.

• @ajm123 Well, I think there's a range of versions on offer here. I'm going to summarize some of the main ones, no offence to anyone if I leave you out:

The Party Training Version - A range of games that teach useful pirate survival skills in a safe environment while giving some prizes to those who do best at the tests so it can actually be a fun thing to do while saving new Pirates from being thrown into the wider world as babies to wolves.

The non-Violent PvP version - An extended version of the above including Sailing Races, Speed Treasure Hunts and a range of challenges where other players set the targets, giving them life without Rare input, that extend player skills and possibly have their own guild and progression tree.

The Larger Maiden Voyage Version - So a Maiden Voyage that actually teaches you how to use the cannons and the full range of tools available to you, including the sights on the Eye of Reach and blocking with your sword. Probably set up as a Tall Tale so you actually learn to use the checkpoint system properly.

The Pure Chill Out version - Probably zero advancement, certainly zero advancement in the main three guilds. Probably still big in game events and probably with some way of marking up other pirates on the map, but where Pirates can't hurt Pirates. A way of buddying up with strangers in safety to take on Flameheart and such like in an epic armada battle, do the various little things that the time pressures of the full game mean you never get around to, chill out, fishing and drinking grog and solving treasure maps for the fun of it while knowing that the guy running at you from across the way can only show you his monkey. Proverbially speaking.

I think at the moment that feels like the main realistic contenders. Have I missed one? Or any to add?

• Just a few mechanical issues why PVE servers can’t work:

1. Gun Powder - you would have to remove it from that version of the game or I can just use it on the PVE Server to PVP

2. Fire 🔥 see above

3. How would you stop me on a PVE Server from jumping on your ship, grabbing your wheel and ramming your ship into an island? How can you even take your wheel and a ship back?

4. How would you stop me from just taking your loot? Just walking onto your ship at the outpost, start taking it and selling it?

5. How would you get me off your ship? Stop me from trolling you? Constantly lowering your anchor? Dropping your sails? Eating all your banana 🍌?

6. What about ramming your ship? So now ship damage has to be removed? You can just ram docks and Islands with no damage?

• @glannigan said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Just a few mechanical issues why PVE servers can’t work:

1. Gun Powder - you would have to remove it from that version of the game or I can just use it on the PVE Server to PVP

Kegs that have been carried by a player can only hurt the last player who carried it or the player who shoots/triggers it.

1. Fire 🔥 see above

Same solution.

1. How would you stop me on a PVE Server from jumping on your ship, grabbing your wheel and ramming your ship into an island? How can you even take your wheel and a ship back?

By making it so that only the crew of a ship can interact with their ship's items, wheel, anchor and sail controls.

1. How would you stop me from just taking your loot? Just walking onto your ship at the outpost, start taking it and selling it?

The benefit from selling loot automatically goes to the person who originally picked it up unless handed over voluntarily by that person picking it up and dropping it on the ship of another or by being literally handed over. So you can steal and turn in my loot, it will just save me time.

1. How would you get me off your ship? Stop me from trolling you? Constantly lowering your anchor? Dropping your sails? Eating all your banana 🍌?

As mentioned, by making it so that you can't interact with any part of the ship, including the barrels. Yes, you would still be able to run around saying swears at strangers while totally impotent.

1. What about ramming your ship? So now ship damage has to be removed? You can just ram docks and Islands with no damage?

No, you just make it so that player ships don't cause damage from ramming other player ships and players can't interact with other player's ships.

Mechanically it doesn't seem that hard.

• So..no one can shoot or run over gunpowder? “Hey everyone make sure you touch our Gun Powder before the boss that way it doesn’t hurt us”.

What about the alliances? How would they work if the mechanics are set up like that?

Half the time I die from Gun Powder it’s because a teammate blows it up too close to me or I set it off myself...

See now we’re going from PVE to flat out super easy baby mode.

Now we’re not just hitting a PVE Switch we are fundamentally redesigning the games it’s concepts and interactions.

Would treasure even sunk on a PVE Server?

What if you get Krakened or Meg’d can the other crew not help/interact with said Kraken and Meg?

If you start Flameheart can only your ship hit him hit him for the rest of the event?

What’s the keep someone from just “Tagging” the Winds guy and sailing off?

What if your in an Alliance and NO one Touches the Gun powder when you open FOTD and someone shoots it?

• Reading through this thread, I have seen three sides that are either arguing constantly over what the nature of the game is/should be, and a third side arguing that it's possible to have the game reward all playstyles equally.

From my perspective, as a LONG time player, semi-competent PVPer, sometimes full crew sailing, sometimes solo slooping, type pirate... I've seen a lot of posts made with the intention of dismissing the statements of those who speak to one of the root problems of the entire game: the toxicity. I DO NOT MEAN A PIRATE WHO SINKS YOUR SHIP AND STEALS YOUR TREASURE. (That is how being a pirate works. If you don't like it, RUN. If you can't beat them, you can always sail off the world - long as they dont have the shroudbreaker - or leave.) I understand the frustration of losing hours of progression in an instant, especially as a full-time worker who can only play for a few hours every so often, but that is NOT the core issue of this game. PVP vs PVE vs PVPVE is NOT the core issue.

The issue is the players who spam the hell out of chat (text), Voice Chat, etc with extremely hateful, vile things, while either camping a location (necessary for completion of an event, tall tale, etc) or chasing you away from said locations. Not to mention the extremely toxic streamers who encourage this behavior.

That being said, on point with the discussion, there should be no division between PVP and PVE in this game, as that is the entire purpose of the game. You can sail for hours and hours on end, seeing no one anywhere on the seas, across many sessions, or you can be very unlucky and end up with aggressive pirates who want nothing more than to destroy ships. I see no problems with aggressive crews, galleons taking down a sloop or brig, or vice versa, but the line gets crossed when there is no real punishment for people who take those things to a much further point, such as vulgar language, text, voice, or messages. Those are the people who make PVP seem bad, and PVP-only focused players seem bad. Same goes for PVE players. I have come across some VERY TOXIC PVE players on the seas. My crew takes their loot and BAM the messages or screaming begins. I have definitely learned some new words and phrases on here from both sides of the coin.

Again, to clarify, the problem is not PVP players or PVE players... the lack of options for either types of players. There are plenty of options for both... but there DOES need to be some kind of mode for PVE only. I saw a post above about a challenge mode or something similar. I think that would be a great idea. A mode with its own trading company, like sea dogs, with its own progression and cosmetics tied to commendations in it.

I think that is a great middle ground for everyone, alongside much harsher punishments for the trolls and extremely toxic players who behave like.. god, even calling them trolls is a massive understatement at this point.

"Trolls ignored on the regular."

• @grimholde said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Reading through this thread, I have seen three sides that are either arguing constantly over what the nature of the game is/should be, and a third side arguing that it's possible to have the game reward all playstyles equally.

From my perspective, as a LONG time player, semi-competent PVPer, sometimes full crew sailing, sometimes solo slooping, type pirate... I've seen a lot of posts made with the intention of dismissing the statements of those who speak to one of the root problems of the entire game: the toxicity. I DO NOT MEAN A PIRATE WHO SINKS YOUR SHIP AND STEALS YOUR TREASURE. (That is how being a pirate works. If you don't like it, RUN. If you can't beat them, you can always sail off the world - long as they dont have the shroudbreaker - or leave.) I understand the frustration of losing hours of progression in an instant, especially as a full-time worker who can only play for a few hours every so often, but that is NOT the core issue of this game. PVP vs PVE vs PVPVE is NOT the core issue.

The issue is the players who spam the hell out of chat (text), Voice Chat, etc with extremely hateful, vile things, while either camping a location (necessary for completion of an event, tall tale, etc) or chasing you away from said locations. Not to mention the extremely toxic streamers who encourage this behavior.

That being said, on point with the discussion, there should be no division between PVP and PVE in this game, as that is the entire purpose of the game. You can sail for hours and hours on end, seeing no one anywhere on the seas, across many sessions, or you can be very unlucky and end up with aggressive pirates who want nothing more than to destroy ships. I see no problems with aggressive crews, galleons taking down a sloop or brig, or vice versa, but the line gets crossed when there is no real punishment for people who take those things to a much further point, such as vulgar language, text, voice, or messages. Those are the people who make PVP seem bad, and PVP-only focused players seem bad. Same goes for PVE players. I have come across some VERY TOXIC PVE players on the seas. My crew takes their loot and BAM the messages or screaming begins. I have definitely learned some new words and phrases on here from both sides of the coin.

Again, to clarify, the problem is not PVP players or PVE players... the lack of options for either types of players. There are plenty of options for both... but there DOES need to be some kind of mode for PVE only. I saw a post above about a challenge mode or something similar. I think that would be a great idea. A mode with its own trading company, like sea dogs, with its own progression and cosmetics tied to commendations in it.

I think that is a great middle ground for everyone, alongside much harsher punishments for the trolls and extremely toxic players who behave like.. god, even calling them trolls is a massive understatement at this point.

"Trolls ignored on the regular."

There is already a way to deal with those toxic players that doesn't require an entire mode dedicated to escape them, it's the mute option, followed by a report if needed.

• @bloodybil said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@scarecrow1771 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@theargonaut144 Yeah, new players will lose to experienced players in a pvp game, that's true of every pvp game ever.
    But in SOT the combat is rather simple and straight forward, and there is no penalty for losing.
    SOT was designed in a way that there is no cost to failure.

This pretty much describes the situation pretty well. As Jack Sparrow would say: "The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem".

The eternal pvp/pve conflict stems much more from a mentality issue rather than a gameplay one. People who use words such as harsh punishment, and describe loss as a waste of time and refer to the game as hard work needs to lighten up and realise they are playing a game, and that sometimes you win and others you lose.

These people need to work on their attitude and good sportsmanship or reflect on why they are playing the game in the first place, instead of asking to drastically reduce chances of defeat in the game because it hurts their feelings.

Very good reply.

• @bloodybil And how often does that actually do anything? Yeah, if they message across XBOX LIVE or PSN, they may get a communication ban, but if they message via the chat they get away with it more often than not. You can mute, sure, but that DOES NOT stop the toxic behavior, nor does it (from a developer standpoint) deter the behavior in the least. By granting a mode for an escape, and sharing the ability to have an escape from the regular world (Arena for PVP - Challenge for PVE) is not a bad idea, nor is it stupid/unfair to anyone.

So, again, mute/report ONLY handles the verbal abuse/toxic chat. It does not prevent the toxic camping, trolling, etc. And it does not guarantee any kind of real solution to the issue at hand.

• @GtotheFo

So you are basically asking them to redesign the game for a baby mode..

See this post from another of the multitude of threads on this topic, the nail is hit squarely on the head here:

@bigtorvol said:

What a read.

10 pages of madness and not a single person to even comment on how Rare would even create those servers. Ill start by saying its painfully obvious how few here have an idea of how coding of games work and how little they understand of how this games world works.

Lets say they do in fact create a pve server and that premise is that you can't kill other players. How does the game calculate that? How does the game know that the fire thats spreading on your boat was thrown by a player or not? How does the game know the canon on the island was a skeleton and not a player? The only viable way a PVE server would work without rare re-coding the entire game (basically creating a new world with new coding) is to make it completely passive. No damage at all. This means no megs, skelly ships, skeletons, bosses etc. So that rules out all tall tales. What you would be getting is nothing more than a digging simulator.

A ship sinks by taking on water, it sinks when it gets full to much. How does this games code tell the game that its another player who has decided to take your ship and run it into an island?

Point im making here is simple. You are asking for a type of server that would painstakingly have to be created more or less from scratch. If it was just a case of turning of player damage thats a lot of variables to cover. Essentially the only simple way is to just give you a god mode... which they wont do because it defeats the point of the game. It wouldn't be a pve mode it would be a passive mode with no damage at all.

If an attempt was made for a PVE server it would nothing short of a troll mode. Sure I can't do damage to you or perhaps even your ship. But how will the game stop me from just picking up your chest? How will the game code that in?

Not that any of what im saying matters because its clear at this point people will beg for the devs to make something they have already stated very clearly they wont. Its not in their vision for the game. Might as well go to WOW and ask them for a mode with no dungeons.

All of the suggestions that a passive mode could work have been debunked thoroughly a thousand times even in the 8 months I have been on the forums, let alone before.. They would need to completely redesign the game.

• @plebochino Resources are better than gold after a few millions

• So this is my reply to the Topic discussion as someone who has played the game since full launch and fully experienced both the PvE and PvP elements of the game.

Trying to keep it as short and sweet as possible whilst still making my point, simply put, this game will die without the PvP element being included for every single player on every single server. What makes this game so unique and special is the risk and reward element to every experience you have on the Seas and if that were to change in any way shape or form, the game would lose more than 50% of its dedicated player base in less than 48 hours, myself included.

I will easily admit, when i first started out i was one of those people calling for PvE only servers etc etc, opt out PvP etc etc but then as i played it more and more and learned more about the game, i quickly realised that is what makes the game great. The most fun on this game is when 2-3 ships are fighting over the same Event or Quest or whatever it may be.

So whilst i understand that it can be very frustrating to lose all your hard work and grinding in a matter of seconds, what people need to realise is that learning 4 or 5 simple mechanics and doing a few simple things, such as, regularly checking your surroundings whilst parked at an Island or turning in your loot regularly, will mean that you can avoid such outcomes. It really is very very easy to avoid PvP contact in this game already, without the game having to spoon feed you by giving you opt out PvP options.

My playstyle now, having grinded all my levels and done 90% of the commendations i wish to achieve, is mostly the PvP playstyle, there is no better thrill than stealing someone else's loot haul or pulling off that sneaky play by hiding and exploding a mega keg on someone else's ship, call me what you want, its by far the most fun thing to do on this game and when you do it once, you will understand it and want to do it over and over again, but i repeat, it is so so easy to avoid this happening to you already NOW.

To finish my post, because i know i have already made it stupidly long, i have a suggestion which, to me, would be the only acceptable way to us experienced players that you could allow for new players to learn the game before they are thrown into the deep end of open world PvP as such. That is, the game has already introduced a system where you have to be level 15 i think it is? To be able to raise an Emissary Flag, so, new players looking to use the more riskier system of Emissary levels to further boost their rewards are already given that time from level 0-15 to learn what the game is about, before they take on the more risky elements that make them more susceptible to being attacked. So in the same manner, implement some kind of system where, new players are not open to PvP until they hit level 15 in 3 factions, whether that be dedicated servers or a PvP Flag system. So, if you are literally brand spanking new to the game, you won't be able to be attacked until you reach level 15 in 3 factions, or if they had dedicated servers for players below that, then the people attacking you are just as inexperienced as you are. That way, you are given plenty of time to learn the mechanics of the game and how the open world interaction system works, before being thrown into the real Sea of Thieves as such.

May the Seas be kind to you all, Happy Sailing.

• @addict21

Good post. It would need to be Lvl 14 and below in 3 factions on their own servers, making players immune is nigh on impossible without a lot of work.

Still nothing to stop trolls starting a new pirate and keeping one faction under 15 to do some real seal clubbing though.

• @wagstr Good point, the real no life Trolls will always find a way though, i guess.

• @addict21 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@wagstr Good point, the real no life Trolls will always find a way though, i guess.

Yup, that is the harsh reality, trolls will always find a way to troll. It's random enough as it is in regards to who you get on your server, I can't help feeling the best and fairest system is already in place. Mute and scuttle are there for a reason.

• @wagstr Exactly mate. This is what i don't understand, even putting aside the whole PvE vs PvP debate, alot of people in this thread talk about the ' real toxicity ' of this game ( which i have probably experienced like once or twice in my entire time of playing this game btw ) which is people who abuse others, through text or voice chat or whatever.

Yet people seem to so easily forget the simple way to deal with that aswell already being in the game like you just said yourself. Mute all text and voice chat then if they're spawn camping you, scuttle your ship and move onto the next server. Job done.

• @gtothefo said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

(...) The benefit from selling loot automatically goes to the person who originally picked it up unless handed over voluntarily by that person picking it up and dropping it on the ship of another or by being literally handed over. So you can steal and turn in my loot, it will just save me time.(...)

Didn't see this point addressed above. What if the thief of the loot you picked up first doesn't turn in the loot ? Or waits until you're done and leave the server ?
    What if the thief turns into a fake Robin Hood and gives your treasure that's on his boat to a third crew to turn in ? They'll be disappointed or assume a bug.

• Im to lazy to search from this (now 522 post) thread but any one who wants PvE servers, Why wold you want them, what is the thing you hate in PvEvP gamemode so much that you want you're own server ?

• @GtotheFo

The benefit from selling loot automatically goes to the person who originally picked it up unless handed over voluntarily by that person picking it up and dropping it on the ship of another or by being literally handed over. So you can steal and turn in my loot, it will just save me time.

• First and foremost sorry, it's nobody's loot until it's turned in..

But...

• If a tucker waits for you to finish Ashen Wind then touches the skull and some other high value stuff before you what then? Does the game 'know' it was you that defeated Old Horatio? What if the tucker fires only one shot that happens to kill him?

• If you came across a pile of floating loot because somebody sunk to PvE you wouldn't be able to turn it in because it 'isn't yours'?

@captainskandalf

A system like this just promotes killing on sight, it punishes those that want to switch up, have variety in their play... if you don't sink, that means you will be marked as a grade 5 consistently and be a beacon for PVP. You say to consider that:

If you plan on going to do PVE the next day, you should have thought about it yesterday

So... I should never PVE or never PVP or pay the price for wanting a varied style of play? I am a PvEvP player, I am sometimes friendly, sometimes bloodthirsty, sometimes a mix. Sorry, but if the progress carries over, influences my crews and all that... you are telling me that I should just always be a bounty 5 and kill everyone I see, because I will always have to assume people want to murder me for my bounty. Doing PVE doesn't matter, you are a bounty 5, helping out a new player, doesn't matter you are a bounty 5... Why should I drag new players of the community into a highly marked PvP heavy ship just by joining their ship or be forced to pay? I help people that are brand new to the game and a system like this will simply prevent me from doing so or you think I should drag them straight into being a PvP beacon instead of doing the PvE with them and teaching them that, because yeah usually I don't take people out for PVP if they have been playing for a week? We go do a voyage, maybe a world event... if we get into PVP we do our best and either fight or flee based on what they want to do.

The problem with session based is that then the bounty would almost never have any effect, cause a person can get rid of it just by relogging new session. You can go in to a session and kill and sink everyone there or just the first 3 boats you see. Then go do that in a new session without a bounty. That doesn't help in the aspect of pve ship vs pvp ship situation, which i'm trying to balance and have both sides bringing something in to the battle. Once you get bounty level 2, 3, 4 or even 5 and you're a target nothing stops you from logging out before anyone can come after you and start the thing again from scratch in the new server. Well maybe you won't have time to reach level 5, but why would a player ever do that if they can basically switch sessions after sinking 2-3 ships and then being shown on the map. That is if we still want to protect the lower skilled players who defend and end up sinking a boat. Or that this doesn't straight out to punish a crew for sinking one ship. That's too harsh if sinking one boat places you on the map. Level 1 and 2 bounties shouldn't be visible on the map. If you kill a level 1 bounty and sink them, they drop the bounty, but you know only after you've done the sinking, not before. It paints you as a target on the higher levels. You can go to a session and sink a ship and max two, have bounty that still flies under radar, can be collected if you're killed and sunk, but you're still not actively chased. Well you can be killed on sight for someone to see if you have a bounty, but there's the risk. Do you want to find out cause it gives you yourself a bounty for doing that. If you just go sink every ship you see that are not marked bounty just to check if they have a level 1 or 2 bounty on them, soon enough you're are bounty level 5 yourself. That's a choice. If it's your first sink of the day you also won't be visible on the map, but if you continue killing and sinking, you will eventually reach level 3 bounty that shows up on the map. Someone level 0 and 1 can now come kill you without exposing themselves to the server. As said it becomes a strategic choice at least that's how i see it. I don't see everyone sailing around level 5 bounty on their head constantly, cause it makes people absolutely want to sink you. Unless you're good and can handle the pressure. As you said you're not always bloodthirsty. Maybe the degrading time could be lower than a week, a day, 2 days. So your actions still has consequences, but it's not unbearable if you go on a rampage one day. And the bailout is always an option, are people willing to pay up? You said no, but what if yesterday you were bloodthirsty and got the rank 5 bounty and today your pve crew wants to do pve only and this the system. Do you expose and force your crew by being level 5 from yesterday or do you just pay up the bailout and be level 0 and play with the pve crew in peace. You had fun yesterday being a pvp maniac what about today.. Maybe not, but if you have a bounty on you might consider this, just to be let alone for a while. Another choice to make and a consequence of your actions yesterday or the previous session you did. There's also already cross session features in the game, your gold carries over to the next session. It's not session based, the leaderboards that the game currently have for the factions are universal, not session based. And since this would also be a pvp leaderboard of sorts, on who has the longest sustained without being sank grade 5 bounty on them, it would carry over sessions. If you want to be on that leaderboard and the best crew to be notorious, you want to not sink over multiple sessions. Most people also don't play daily so this wouldn't even matter to them if the bounty degrade time is only one day. On monday they kill and sink everyone, on tuesday they watch cartoons on tv and wednesday they go do pve without bounty, that is if the degrade time is one day. That's a good question what is the correct amount of time to keep the bounty useful. The bailout system could be a new rep faction. This would absolutely cause more random kill on sight, BUT what if this new faction you'd level up paying bounties off from yourself. You don't bring chests to the npc or skulls or anything. You go out and pvp and sink ships and collect a bounty on yourself and then try to stay alive enough to reach the npc to bail it off and that grants you rep xp and only that nothing else. It costs you gold to level up, but as the other factions it unlocks faction specific items, the skins that you can only gain this way. Let's say it's unlocks a "sea police" outfit or something other unique looking and can only be acquired this way. As said this would absolutely make people have bounties on them and cause killing in sight, but it would also guarantee my original thought that both participants would bring something to a battle. The attacker would always bring their bounty worth and the defender if a pve player brings their loot or if it's another bounty player would bring their bounty, who wins gets the bounty or the loot. That way the victor always gets spoils, even if you're just defending. There would be a reason to pvp even as a defender instead of running away, there's something extra to gain. The whole point of the system, have empty ships coming pvp in mind have worth. Point is not to be a leaderboard for successful pvp'rs that just comes naturally with the system. Point is to "protect" the integrity of ship to ship battles. Give the pve players a reason to not complain they are being sunk without the attacker taking any risks of their own, the word attacker highlighted since they could have been the defender 10 minutes ago as has been established and has also been established that the attacker usually don't bring anything worthy to the fight. Sure people will still complain that they have been sunk, but there actually something to gain by defending.

I play the game because it is a session based game, where I can choose each time based on my mood and crew whether we do PvE or PvP or a mix. None of my progress is carried over so why should this? I like to solo, so I should just always be marked to be murdered as my head is worth something... even if I am just trying to chill? There are groups that I play with that are heavy PVE focused and groups that are heavy PVP focused... why should I drag my PVP status into my PVE circles? Do you want them to reject me because of my bounty or have me pay up to play with them every time to get rid of it?

Well there's the choice and consequence. Now pvp has no consequence, unless you have loot. You can log in and do it. As said above if it's session based the consequence goes away and the bounty system is useless, unless everyone plays really long sessions and never server hop. But we all know most people server hop, a lot. If you're ganked on your ship, you scuttle and highly likely server hop to not face the same crew again. If in this bounty system you become visible on the map after rank 3, you server hop and continue your pvp without bounty and on server as rank 0, cause you don't want to be seen. Also one point to mention is that, once you're marked on the map, it means your ship is, not the player. You can still stealth stuck on enemy ships and not be seen on the map. Your ship where ever it is will be seen, but the person tucking no. At rank 5 where the leaderboard rank of said players is shown, that is shown on the ship location, what kind of crew that ship has, but where the crew is, no one knows. But in a session based system people would reach grade 5 only if they are dedicated to get there, if they just want to sink ships they server hop after grade 2. Granted the bounty bailout doesn't have to be as large as 25k or 50% of the bounty like 250k it can be 25% of the bounty whatever.. But it can't be free either. And what else are pirates going to use their money on? New shop cosmetics haven't been seen in ages, people are sitting on millions of gold if you've played the game at least sometime. At the same time this bailout system would become a gold sink in the game. Although if you're successful at pvp and steal all your loot, a little bailout money won't make a huge nudge in your wallet of millions you've stolen. It is a quick escape from the bounty. If you want to be rank 5 forever you can try and survive, but no one is unsinkable. So there are ways out of it, which one is up to you. It's not a punishment to bail yourself out, you made a name for yourself, deal with it. If you got zero money, you find the closest player ship and let them sink you, collect your bounty and you're free. Or keep going until someone better than you at the game comes and deals with your ship. Reapers are already visible on the map when on emissary, it's slightly different, but the same, but the main point is your ship is worth something, your notorious name is worth something, more than the noob who came out of their maiden voyage 5 minutes ago. How you want to deal with having a name on yourself is up to you. Can you control your urges to not sink every ship to rank up too fast in the bounty system or do you just not care and head straight in to rank 5 until a bigger, stronger and better crew and ship comes at you and sinks you. Everyone wants to be best and you get there by beating the best.

You asked me this question:
    I'd argue most of the so called pvp'rs here don't want to be the prey, they want to be the hunter.. Am i right?

I am both, yet place a bounty on my head and mark me to be a target and I will hunt and kill on sight always. Want to make a deal, a truce... sorry buddy no can do... I have a bounty and you are going to try and take me out regardless of me being solo or what not. If your goal is to convert people into being high level PVP crews exclusively... this sounds like the perfect solution.

The rate of the bounty building up is also up for debate and testing what is a sweet spot, it doesn't have to be 1 level per ship sunk. Maybe the max rank is grade 5, but there's leeway.. Maybe sinking a ship will net you 1/4 of grade so you get a bounty level 1 after you've sunk 4 ships. That's just tuning. The bounty can grow exponentially also. Maybe the level 1 bounty is like 1k or 2k you're worth one chest basically to sink and you're not seen on the map. Rank 2 bounty is 10k, still not visible on the map. Rank 3 is 50k, you can be seen on the map. Rank 4 is 150k. Rank 5 is a 250k. So when you've done sinking few ships per session you really want to consider do i want to kill the next one that makes me rank 3, cause it now paints me as a target or does it even matter if i'm target. Stop for a while and lay low and wait for the bounty to degrade of.. get sunk by some random ship or bailout and then start again.

Granted level 1 bounties would be roaming around a lot, worth that 1000-2000g but still now most ships are worth something regardless if the are attacking or defending. I'd say the sweet spot to tune something like this would be that your average pvpve'r is usually somewhere on the ranks 0-3 and they are not constantly a marked target. They might or might not have a bounty highly depending what they do. Full PVE only players are probably around 0-1 rank in the bounty system most of their time and hardcore pvp players are 2-5. If your way on the seas is to never dig up a chest, and always steal, you're going to have a bounty.

But you're also capable of dealing with it. If you're hardcore reaper emissary already, nothing changes you're always on the map anyway, except for people who now sink your empty ship can actually gain something instead of just worthless supplies.

Yet I don't always want to be tagged and be negatively impacted. Sometimes I would love to have more pvp generated, but also want the option to fly under the radar when I choose. Play the game on my own terms, not have every single session that I ever played determine one style for me to play.

The system would just promote players like myself that are sometimes ultra aggressive or passive to just stick to one style and in my case I will be aggressive, as frankly just being PVE based only is boring. I am not going to pay 25k to get rid of a mark that within a session or two I will have again. Since I would consistently have a bounty, I might as well just roll with it and embrace it. The interactions you state you want, I would stop doing them... I am a high value target, I won't have room to hammer out a truce, be friendly, as in all likelihood you would be either scared of me or go like SOLO WITH A BOUNTY KILL HIM!

It wouldn't help in the PvE vs PvP situation at all, sure it awards PVP and once you get a bounty, either embrace the PVP or pay up? Sounds to me like a secure way to push more people into focusing on PVP and causing even more aggressive behavior.

How does that happen, once you have a bounty... you are or going to be scary or a target. People that PVP with a crew, will be huge targets when they solo... and those that are new tagging along with veterans are more likely to be dragged into their bounties.

It should be session based, just like everything else in the game. Everyone starts at equal footing. If you don't sink and engage in PvP at times, you shouldn't automatically accumulate yourself into a state where PvP will always come and find you.

That's why the system needs to have some leeway and ways out of bounties. I don't know what's a reasonable bailout sum? I got 6 million gold and nothing to use it for.. 25k sounds like 10 cents to spend on getting rid of my bounty. This needs statistics on how many ships an average crew sinks in a session to be tuned correctly. It needs the rank/grade/level system where the higher ranks become visible on the map and are marked targets, not every single crew that sink 1-2 ships will be on the map. If you go bloodthirsty hardcore pvp you're a notorious name and other ships want to take you out, just like they do now to reapers emissary. But it also needs the middle ground where somewhere around grade 3 you start to become valuable target, below that you can do what you want most the time without being seen. It's a hard equation to match with the killing on sight mindset. Killing on sight is a player dilemma how to change player mentality, i don't think it can fully be solved with game system, if it even needs solving. Would be nicer though to have more negotiations and diplomacy instead of always the same shoot first ask later. But this comes partly cause there's no consequences for it. Shoot first, double gunning is a kill. No one goes to jail. Why would anyone want to be a diplomat when there's no consequence or variation in the gameplay? Point of the system isn't really to solve KoS, but the balance out the worth of each ship on the sea.

And make it so it doesn't punish players, but it's also not completely worthless. The system is not designed for pvp and pvpve players to have a pvp leaderboard to measure their skill, system is designed for the pvpve and pve players to feel that the pvp side actually brings worth to encounters with them. It provides both, but it also needs both positive and negative effects to matter. Being a marked target can be both a good and a bad thing, depending what you want to do. It's a consequence of actions. If i go pve and dig up chests, i choose that. The fact that someone can come in and steal the chests i dug up is the consequence of my action to dig them up, the risk i take. If you sink a ship and gain a bounty for that and your ship is now worth sinking even without loot, specially without loot. That's a consequence of your action to be aggressive, a risk you've taken. Those are the two sides. I'm sure people will go bananas and sink everything they see and be rank 5 and not care, but at least now they are worth something as an opponent to others. And in between are pvpve'rs who have loot on their ship they have a non visible bounty on them. Maybe the correct balance is that rank 4 bounty starts showing you on the map, not 3. Maybe you can do whatever you want till rank 4 until you're marked. But be aware, if you cross the line you know the consequences. You're marked then. So if you're not ready for that, consider who you want to sink and not sink. Digging up chests is dangerous, but so is sinking ships.

Views
468 out of 5293