Mics and "silent crews"

• I'm sure other pirates will agree with me that mics are a rare sight on the sea of thieves, especially open crews. I'm suggesting a filter for open crews that have mics, so I can actually communicate with my crew. The quick chat is fine but with my personal preference I want to talk to my crew without join 100 silent crews. I'm sure it is an easy thing to add and I hope to see it some day.

Views
  • I didn't start using a mic until about a week ago almost my entire playing has been typing

mic does speed up communication but after a year and a lot of popping around open brig crews I can say imo it is completely overrated and a misnomer that it really changes much in open crew

1. people's mic range in quality and often times are more of a distraction than tool

2. people talk too much and they have their mic on too often with way too much background noise and personal life randomness happening

3. people that complain the most about others having mics usually do not actually use theirs to add any benefit to the crew

Looking for a group offers the ability to mic check but open crew should not. People can leave the game if they don't like it.

Open crew shouldn't have any filters

• @wolfmanbush what about xbox crews what you said mostly applies to PC where players have access to a keyboard most xbox players dont have a keyboard.

• @beanbean002 said in Mics and "silent crews":

@wolfmanbush what about xbox crews what you said mostly applies to PC where players have access to a keyboard most xbox players dont have a keyboard.

they do fine as long as they stay productive and helpful which doesn't require a mic or keyboard

open crew is a mix bag of all types as it should be. It brings random interactions without separating people that is how community is built and new friendships are formed

• @beanbean002 said in Mics and "silent crews":

@wolfmanbush what about xbox crews what you said mostly applies to PC where players have access to a keyboard most xbox players dont have a keyboard.

I can use a mouse and keyboard on my Xbox. Are all your USB jacks broken or something?

• I'm currently suffering from an ear infection, so wearing a headset with a mic is difficult. Heck, even hearing loud noises is difficult.

Should I be relegated to the status of 2nd-class because of something that I can't control?

No. All pirates are created equal. As long as they have a means of communication that works, then get over it.

• You gotta use the LFG Tool on XBOX Live. I’m telling you it fixes 99% of the issues people have with Crews and players and Mics and all that!

• @galactic-geek i am sorry for whatever issues you have but the same can be said the other way. what about people who can't read due to various mental issues. its not fair to them that they have to read everything if they get into a headsetless crew

• A better solution would be a way to vet crews.

Backroom tavern lobby.
    Simply walk through the door the mysterious stranger is guarding in adventure mode or join from menu depending where you are at.
    You leave the server if in a game and put into a seperate tavern room with tables

Drink, chat, and find your crew.

You can only hear those who are sat at the same table as you and there are only 4 seats (The amount who group up determines ship size).

Throw your dagger in the table and as soon as somebody leave, the entire crew leave too and join a server.
    Think of it as ‘in-house’ discord.

That way, you can find whatever type of crew you want and even change crews in a whim when their agendas dont suit yours.

Surprised its not in the game to be honest.

• im going to be completly honest me and my crew rarely use the mic to communicate about the game

we all know what needs to be done in the game sure we sometimes pop a voice call in about a boarder or barrel attempt

but other than that we just trash talk eachother for fun

i don't see mic's as a must have or a need to have

the game is still doable and fun without it the actions and events are way better

like one of my crewmembers managing to blow himself up 16 times in under an hour

mic is a bonus not a requirement and i certainly don't think its fair to make people less because they don't own a piece of tech or otherwise cannot use it at the given time

if you want a crew with mics then open a lfg stating mic's as a requirement

• Mic are a rare sight no matter what game you play.
    Every MP game Ive played since Halo 3 has just...disappeared.
    Just weird nobody can buy a 10-20$ mic.

I love a filter, game already registers if you have a mic or not so it shouldn't be too bad to open and search for other players with same input. And much like how searching seas for a Xbox only lobby, if it cant find one..It just drop you with randoms who do or dont have a mic like normal.

• For PVE, a mic is not necessary unless you're playing with someone completely new on an open crew. It helps a lot for them to be able to ask questions about the quests on the radial and to direct them on how to properly manage the ship in the water, do non-intuitive techniques like the sword-block-lunge-jump (I have no idea what the technical name is lol), or just to answer questions they have. In a crew of "seasoned" players, for PVE mic is really not necessary at all.

In PVP combat, a mic is a major advantage for a team-based game. If you see someone jump off the back of a ship you are following with a keg, it is much better to just say "Watch out, hes got a keg, try to shoot it or I will maneuver us around" than to fumble through the quick menu (at least for those who use controller). Keyboard is nice but it still makes you immobile when you type which a mic does not have the downside of. I rarely play in open crews (I almost always play with the same 3-4 friends) but I would suggest using the LFG tool or just inviting your crewmate to a party chat. It doesn't have the downsides of any of the game chat issues and if you bind a push to talk button, you can still communicate with other players through the in-game chat.

TLDR: Not a bad idea, but party chat is always better IMO than game chat. Use LFG tool or invite your open crewmate to a party.

• I would agree, if someone knows what they are doing, they don't need a mic. Its very obvious from the start if someone knows what they are doing. In pvp also easy to know and deal without a mic.

Its hard work being forced a mic and headphones but how do people keep headphone noise to a minimal seeing as anything in sot takes hours?

• If you get grouped with random crews, they could just be on their own discord server talking and dont care to talk with an extra random that has joined their open crew. When i do play with a friend, we talk on discord and put the ingame chat to "push to talk" so it never registers us talking and no one can ever hear anything.

If anything i will type random stuff in chat when getting close to people if i wanted to screw around, not actually talk to people i dont know, who are attacking me lol.

• How about you just use the official Discord server to find a competent crew with mics?

• @Onyxs-sword Yeah filtering by mics would be nice. Mostly cause I play to have fun with people and enjoy the sandbox element of being a pirate. I don't take the game seriously, never had never will. But I can never find a team :( I have tried LFC but to no luck and open crews never talk. I don't really see a down side, maybe people with out mics feel left out or feel at a disadvantage? I have joined crews that use text chat but they are never as fun as laughing with someone on live as you kill skeletons and drink grog. But hey that's my view on this topic. Also is your name a reference to something it seems familiar.

• @soaps-onyx no

Views
9 out of 17