Chainshot not doing it's job

• From my understanding shooting a mast with a chainshot brings down the mast with one shot. I've never had a problem with this until recently I noticed that even after visibly watching my chainshot hit a mast or even seeing the little explosion/wood burst from shooting a chainshot that the mast wont fall down. Is there like a new place to aim? Do certain parts of the mast not register as the mast anymore? I'm pretty sweaty with a chainshot so I 100% know it's not me missing as I have seen with my own eyes it not working. For example I parked my sloop next to another sloop that was at an island and shot their mast from not even 30 feet away. To my surprise it stayed up. I shot two more times then they just sailed away like nothing happened. Its hit reg like this that makes me favor just pelting holes into their bottom deck as opposed to gambling with the reliability of a chainshot.

Views
  • @robby0316 probably hit registration issue...had already myself hit the mast with a chainshot, but it wasn't going down, a couple of times already...

• it has some hit reg issues (more than it used to)

but also pirates have increasingly adapted to it and grab it asap before it falls so it can be fixed very quickly

• It amazes me how nobody ever seems to aim for the capstan or wheel with chainshot anymore. Those can be disabled too!

• @galactic-geek Ooooooh! I always forget about the capstan...

Is it easy to land a shot on it?

• @musicmee Certainly easier than the mast. The wheel is the easiest to hit too! And you can hit both on the sloop with a single shot!

I particularly like hitting the wheel on brigs and galleons while I continue to outmanuever them in my sloop. Their control is already bad, so hit that, and they're yours for the sinking! 😁

• Chain shot works great and seems really well balanced

• @glannigan said in Chainshot not doing it's job:

Chain shot works great and seems really well balanced

That's because it is. 😉

• I’ve also had instances where I’ve seemingly missed the mast with a chain shot yet get the hit marker and it topples shortly after, so it’s anyone’s guess. Hit reg is probably the issue there, but server latency is a tricky one to fix.

• Yeah, I've had some very obvious cases of this, with it being particularly bothersome in arena given how limited your supply is. A couple of days ago I shot a stationary sloop from a watch tower at basically point blank with a hit mark, expecting the mast to fall I changed cannonballs, but they dropped sail immediately and sailed of, I was so frustrated I missed my follow up shots so they got away. It's easy to loose your cool when things don't work as expected.

• @musicmee depends on the ship and the target, in a galleon it's easy to shoot a sloop and brig capstan but it's hard for a brig to hit a galleon

@Galactic-Geek Masts are the easiest target and I personally rarely have issues with it. They give the widest margin of error in overshooting compared to wheels and capstans. Additionally, the damage done by dropping multiple masts is larger than damaging a capstan which requires an anchor ball to capitalize on. (Even if caught a second hit disrupts this and keeps the crew off other repair points)

• @robby0316 said in Chainshot not doing it's job:

From my understanding shooting a mast with a chainshot brings down the mast with one shot. I've never had a problem with this until recently I noticed that even after visibly watching my chainshot hit a mast or even seeing the little explosion/wood burst from shooting a chainshot that the mast wont fall down. Is there like a new place to aim? Do certain parts of the mast not register as the mast anymore? I'm pretty sweaty with a chainshot so I 100% know it's not me missing as I have seen with my own eyes it not working. For example I parked my sloop next to another sloop that was at an island and shot their mast from not even 30 feet away. To my surprise it stayed up. I shot two more times then they just sailed away like nothing happened. Its hit reg like this that makes me favor just pelting holes into their bottom deck as opposed to gambling with the reliability of a chainshot.

or they grabed the mast every time you hit there mast

• @closinghare208 they were on the island when I was shooting it and by the time I had already switched to cannons and get a few shots off they came back and sailed off. The thing about chainshots is normally people myself included will shoot and wait x amount of time to see if it hits or mast falls before shooting another one. Which can easily be longer than it feels like. Where as with cannons it's just shot after shot.

• @robby0316 said in Chainshot not doing it's job:

@closinghare208 they were on the island when I was shooting it and by the time I had already switched to cannons and get a few shots off they came back and sailed off. The thing about chainshots is normally people myself included will shoot and wait x amount of time to see if it hits or mast falls before shooting another one. Which can easily be longer than it feels like. Where as with cannons it's just shot after shot.

ok then chain shot hit reg is bugged then

• @robby0316 shoot chainshot and immediately switch to cannons or blunder and aim for the rigging to stop them from catching it/ take advantage and kill them

• I fired multiple chainshots into skeleton ship masts and they did nothing. Shouldn't it make sense for them to knock down skeleton ships masts too?

• On occasion when it hits crows nest it doesn't drop. I've seen people on sloops save the last from falling

• @xxgearclawxx no, skeleton ships move using the power of bananas (the cursed fruit) and not the wind

• After further review Chain shot never works when I shoot it yet it works 100% of the time when it is shot at me 😬

• Why does every chainshot that "hits", need to take down a mast? Thiw happens to me from time to time and it is frustrating. However, for this reason I generally am ready to volley at least 3, to all 5 in my pockets at a time. Can't one only graze, or swipe masts, and not be 100% effective? I know this game is not meant to be realistic, no need to talk about that...but it would be realisitic that perhaps it wasn't direct enough of a strike.

• I think it's a hit reg issue. They're working on it I think.

It's happened to me too where I watch a hit and the mast doesn't go down. (The sails should at least go up if they caught immediately.) I've also missed a little and watched the mast go down.

Its just that the server thinks something different happened than your client I think. Imagine it as being a visual error that is displayed to you wrong by your client.

It's the curse of online multiplayer games, developers wrestle with this constantly. You can read more about it here specifically in the "solutions and lag compensation" section.

Just remember, as long as every one deals with it, the game is still fair.

Views
1 out of 22