Serpentine

• This story is made to promote my new Tall Tale concept "The Serpent Crew"
    I accidentally posted this in the gameplay gameplay guides + tips to begin with, whoops.
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/125998/tall-tale-concept-the-curse-of-yig-possible-part-one-the-serpent-crew/8

My crew and I were tasked with exploring the aptly named Snake Island. A ship had sunk just off the south shore, the crew presumed dead but with no evidence to support it we were tasked to investigate the area for anything that might explain the sudden disappearance. When we asked the captain for more information, he merely said his "friend" had asked for a favour and would then begin trail of mumbling trying to think of a lie to convince us. Begrudgingly we did as we were asked of him and after half a day at sea we arrived at Snake Island, our approach brought us in to the south shore right around where the ship had sunk.

With the ship anchored, the captain decided to stay aboard and climb the crows nest to scope out the island and the horizon whilst the crew and I went to explore the sunken wreck below. After my crewmates had jumped into the water I took one final look at the captain as he ascended, I couldn't explain it but somehow I knew that something was about to go wrong, the whole thing seemed off, eerie even. I shook the doubt off and jumped in after the crew, by the time I was in the water my crewmates were just about to enter the wreck, one crewman went into the captain's cabin and the other went into the hull. As I got into the hull the other crewman there had a puzzled look about him. After gesturing to ask him "what?" I noticed that the hatches were left open, checking the rest of the hull showed no signs of a fight, no holes or burns, hardly even a splinter, it seemed as though the crew had intentionally scuttled the ship.

After meeting the third crewman just outside the captains cabin who gestured that nothing seemed amiss, we all swam back up to the surface to board the ship. On the way back to the ship however, I noticed in the corner of my eye a figure stood on the beach beside a rowboat, I stopped to turn, whistling to my crew as I did. It was our captain, drawing his sword and headed further into the island, we swam ashore after him and began to follow his footprints.

After reaching the the top of the island we saw him frozen still, staring intently at this strange alter carved into the rocks. Above it was a stone snake head, expertly crafted and hardly weathered but below rested a bright golden statue shining intently from the sun cutting through the trees, it looked like a man but as we approached it and our captain who had yet to move an inch it, more and more it resembled that of a serpent like creature. "What's that?" I asked the captain. He remained unmoved for what seemed like an age until he slowly turned his head towards us and whispered. "It'sss our'sss." He proceeded to take the Idol from the Alter and we all travelled back to the ship soon thereafter. It appears we gave up in our original quest to find the lost crew, when we reported what he had found out about the scuttled ship the captain once again remained unmoved, still intently staring into the eyes of this golden serpent.. thing. We boarded our ship and without a word the captain marched to his cabin and locked the door behind him. "Orders sir?" I asked him, silence followed, again and again I repeated lightly knocking at the cabin door, the only response was a pistol shot through the window besides. "We stay here tonight lads, eat something and get some rest, Cap'n'll have something for us when he wakes up tomorrow" I assured my crew, even if I was unsure myself.

The next morning we woke up to horrid sounds of hissing, gathering the crew together we went to find the source and found it came from inside the captains quarters, the door however, was still locked from the inside from the day before. Within a few seconds we had broken the door clean off it's hinges with a couple blunder-bombs. The statue the captain found the day before was on the desk but the chair was turned around facing out the window of the cabin. "Sir.. are you... alright?" I stuttered in the doorway, but once again I was met with a silence, the only sound was the heavy breath of my crewmates and that haunting hissing sound which only grew louder with each second. I pulled out my cutlass and proceeded to enter the cabin with my two crewmates behind, moving up to the desk I checked around, the hissing sound was almost deafening now. I pointed to the Statue, instructing one of my crewmates to pick it up but as his fingers came into contact the captain lashed out in anger and attacked us, only the captain wasn't exactly our captain anymore.

He still wore his jacket and black bandana which concealed most of his figure but there was no denying he was no longer human, at least not fully human. His legs were twisted and fused together, his skin became scaled, he had lost all his hair but worst of all was the face. It still mimicked that of a humans but the nose had been smoothed over leaving only two small holes to breathe from, his tongue had split and his eyes lost all colour and were as dark and soulless as the night sky.

During the fight the captain had bitten one of the crewmen on the leg, I don't think five seconds passed before he fell to the floor paralysed, he died within the hour. We managed to defeat our captain or whatever he may have turned into but it cost the life of one and the sanity of the other, I was all that really remained. I had to put the mad crewmate in the brig for both our sakes, but as I locked the cell I heard a splash, something or someone had just entered the water. Charging back up, sword in hand I peered over the edge to see nothing but the ripples of the impact zone, I rushed into the cabin to find the captain's twisted corpse but it was gone, along with the golden statue he found. My heart sank like a stone and beat harder than drum. Without a second thought I loaded up the cannons with fire-bombs and unleashed hell upon that island, burning everything I could see; plants, pigs, snakes, anything and everything, burnt up like a bonfire, after that I turned the ship around and got away as fast as possible.

Even now I still don't know what really happened out there that day, nor can I ask my crewmate as he too ended up dying before we could even return to Plunder Outpost. I don't know if he somehow got poisoned or just up and died from his madness but what I do know is I'm the last one left and I'll never be going back. If only I could forget it all I would but it haunts me wherever I go, that damned hissing gets louder again, follows me it does, he follows me he does, the captain! Well I wont let him have me, I'm going out on my own terms.

If you are reading this, heed my last words

whatever you do, don't anger the snakes, stay away from the snakes

Views
    just for funstory & lore
  • @sailorkek said in Serpentine:

This story is made to promote my new Tall Tale concept "The Serpent Crew"
    I accidentally posted this in the gameplay gameplay guides + tips to begin with, whoops.
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/125998/tall-tale-concept-the-curse-of-yig-possible-part-one-the-serpent-crew/8

My crew and I were tasked with exploring the aptly named Snake Island. A ship had sunk just off the south shore, the crew presumed dead but with no evidence to support it we were tasked to investigate the area for anything that might explain the sudden disappearance. When we asked the captain for more information, he merely said his "friend" had asked for a favour and would then begin trail of mumbling trying to think of a lie to convince us. Begrudgingly we did as we were asked of him and after half a day at sea we arrived at Snake Island, our approach brought us in to the south shore right around where the ship had sunk.

With the ship anchored, the captain decided to stay aboard and climb the crows nest to scope out the island and the horizon whilst the crew and I went to explore the sunken wreck below. After my crewmates had jumped into the water I took one final look at the captain as he ascended, I couldn't explain it but somehow I knew that something was about to go wrong, the whole thing seemed off, eerie even. I shook the doubt off and jumped in after the crew, by the time I was in the water my crewmates were just about to enter the wreck, one crewman went into the captain's cabin and the other went into the hull. As I got into the hull the other crewman there had a puzzled look about him. After gesturing to ask him "what?" I noticed that the hatches were left open, checking the rest of the hull showed no signs of a fight, no holes or burns, hardly even a splinter, it seemed as though the crew had intentionally scuttled the ship.

After meeting the third crewman just outside the captains cabin who gestured that nothing seemed amiss, we all swam back up to the surface to board the ship. On the way back to the ship however, I noticed in the corner of my eye a figure stood on the beach beside a rowboat, I stopped to turn, whistling to my crew as I did. It was our captain, drawing his sword and headed further into the island, we swam ashore after him and began to follow his footprints.

After reaching the the top of the island we saw him frozen still, staring intently at this strange alter carved into the rocks. Above it was a stone snake head, expertly crafted and hardly weathered but below rested a bright golden statue shining intently from the sun cutting through the trees, it looked like a man but as we approached it and our captain who had yet to move an inch it, more and more it resembled that of a serpent like creature. "What's that?" I asked the captain. He remained unmoved for what seemed like an age until he slowly turned his head towards us and whispered. "It'sss our'sss." He proceeded to take the Idol from the Alter and we all travelled back to the ship soon thereafter. It appears we gave up in our original quest to find the lost crew, when we reported what he had found out about the scuttled ship the captain once again remained unmoved, still intently staring into the eyes of this golden serpent.. thing. We boarded our ship and without a word the captain marched to his cabin and locked the door behind him. "Orders sir?" I asked him, silence followed, again and again I repeated lightly knocking at the cabin door, the only response was a pistol shot through the window besides. "We stay here tonight lads, eat something and get some rest, Cap'n'll have something for us when he wakes up tomorrow" I assured my crew, even if I was unsure myself.

The next morning we woke up to horrid sounds of hissing, gathering the crew together we went to find the source and found it came from inside the captains quarters, the door however, was still locked from the inside from the day before. Within a few seconds we had broken the door clean off it's hinges with a couple blunder-bombs. The statue the captain found the day before was on the desk but the chair was turned around facing out the window of the cabin. "Sir.. are you... alright?" I stuttered in the doorway, but once again I was met with a silence, the only sound was the heavy breath of my crewmates and that haunting hissing sound which only grew louder with each second. I pulled out my cutlass and proceeded to enter the cabin with my two crewmates behind, moving up to the desk I checked around, the hissing sound was almost deafening now. I pointed to the Statue, instructing one of my crewmates to pick it up but as his fingers came into contact the captain lashed out in anger and attacked us, only the captain wasn't exactly our captain anymore.

He still wore his jacket and black bandana which concealed most of his figure but there was no denying he was no longer human, at least not fully human. His legs were twisted and fused together, his skin became scaled, he had lost all his hair but worst of all was the face. It still mimicked that of a humans but the nose had been smoothed over leaving only two small holes to breathe from, his tongue had split and his eyes lost all colour and were as dark and soulless as the night sky.

During the fight the captain had bitten one of the crewmen on the leg, I don't think five seconds passed before he fell to the floor paralysed, he died within the hour. We managed to defeat our captain or whatever he may have turned into but it cost the life of one and the sanity of the other, I was all that really remained. I had to put the mad crewmate in the brig for both our sakes, but as I locked the cell I heard a splash, something or someone had just entered the water. Charging back up, sword in hand I peered over the edge to see nothing but the ripples of the impact zone, I rushed into the cabin to find the captain's twisted corpse but it was gone, along with the golden statue he found. My heart sank like a stone and beat harder than drum. Without a second thought I loaded up the cannons with fire-bombs and unleashed hell upon that island, burning everything I could see; plants, pigs, snakes, anything and everything, burnt up like a bonfire, after that I turned the ship around and got away as fast as possible.

Even now I still don't know what really happened out there that day, nor can I ask my crewmate as he too ended up dying before we could even return to Plunder Outpost. I don't know if he somehow got poisoned or just up and died from his madness but what I do know is I'm the last one left and I'll never be going back. If only I could forget it all I would but it haunts me wherever I go, that damned hissing gets louder again, follows me it does, he follows me he does, the captain! Well I wont let him have me, I'm going out on my own terms.

If you are reading this, heed my last words

whater you do, don't anger the snakes, stay away from the snakes

aye very creepie

Views
just for funstory & lore
1 out of 2