False Download with Sea of Thieves

• So, I really do hope that I am not the only one this has happened to, but I'm seriously at my wits end. Also, should note, that I have the game pass thingy. Anyhoo, I click "Install" on the Microsoft Store and it downloads for a few seconds and somehow my computer downloaded 51+g's of data in mere seconds, which is stupid. I've followed all of the troubleshooting guides that I can think of and I'm still at a loss. It just flashes the logo with I attempt to launch....Teasing me.

Views
  • @skrufflez1448 Ahoy matey!

Two things I would suggest doing, which usually kicks the Microsoft Store into shape...

1. Try logging out and back into the MS Store app (not your PC just the store app) then trying again.
    2. Try doing a WSReset - If you don't know how to do this a quick Google should set you on the right path.

Good luck! I hope one of these gets you up and sailing.

• @skrufflez1448 You are not the only person this issue has happened to (as it is posted on several threads). I personally haven't played the game since the last update (when the bug/glitch) first appeared. It is definitely an issue with how Microsoft Store (worst platform ever) delivers the game and patches. I've tried all the steps listed on Support's page including uninstalling and re-installing along with the WSReset mentioned above with no changes. Launching Insiders gets further along in the process than the regular game (it actually gets past the "logo flash"), but that version doesn't actually connect to the server either. I too will try the MS Store log in, log out to see if it works (first time I saw that advice).

• I'm trying to install SoT on my new laptop (it worked on the old one) through Microsoft Store. First of all, it looked like it had downloaded the game and installed it correctly. However, when I ran the game, I got the "Sea of Thieves" title page (the black background one), then it disappeared. Task Manager showed no apps were running. I then uninstalled SoT, went back to MS Store, and it will simply not download fully. It gets to "Downloading Sea of Thieves... 31.76 MB" and then goes no further. From that, it then tells me that "This product is installed" (I know it isn't... it can't have downloaded in five minutes), but when I click Play in MS Store, I get that black splash screen, then nothing. I've tried logging out of MS Store. I've run wsreset.exe... still it won't download and install. I've plenty of memory free, of course. I am at my wits' end with this. It's pretty much the only game I play, and the reason I bought a new laptop. If anyone can offer ANY help, it would be appreciated!

• I have this same issue. When I try to download SoT through the Microsoft Store, it quickly downloads 31.76 MB (according to the Store), then sits there for a few minutes before saying that the game is ready to play. Of course, looking at my hard disk, I have clearly not downloaded anything close to 51 GB. When I launch the game I get a splash screen and then a "missing or corrupt data file" error, which makes sense given that none of the game got downloaded.

The thing is, the game was working fine for a long time. Then I got this exact same error message one day. I reinstalled to try to fix it. Uninstalling SoT removed 50ish GB of data, but the reinstall never put it back.

I have tried everything. Update Windows, update video driver, reset Microsoft Store, reset Sea of Thieves, log out of Microsoft Store, Powershell thing, etc.

• @novastarfighter I managed to get SoT up and running by buying the game through Steam. I initially bought it from Microsoft Store. Obviously, paying for the same game twice in two different places is far from ideal. However, at least when it came through on Steam, I did not have to start my character again... it picked up where I'd left off.

Views
1 out of 6