Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!

• Ahoy maties!

A new regular event has hit the Event Hub!.... Gold Hoarders and Reapers will be keen to hear about this one!

REAPERS VS HOARDERS
    Every Friday, 00:00–23:59 UTC

The Gold Hoarders will pay their Emissaries extra gold for any loot, but beware - the Reaper's Bones will also be offering their Emissaries much more for any Gold Hoarders' Emissary flags, and their reward will get more generous with each passing week…

Views
  • @musicmee It works this time then ;)

• @musicmee

Good move here.

I've definitely believed that more Reaper Vs. Emissary play needed more encouragement as the long lulls while playing Reaper's Bones can be rather disappointing. I hope there will be some in game messaging on this for players who don't read up on the game online.

Looking forward to seeing the impact of this!

• @musicmee

So the Emissaries are gonna be taking even more of the heat offa me?

Sweet!

• @chronodusk Me too! Especially when I need the Reapers Bones rep!

• What about real pirates. The ones who hunt for no loot, but only the bones of ships?

Cant we get a bone-to-pick too? Lol

I want my wealth measured in shattered figureheads and broken masts.

• @idneon said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

What about real pirates. The ones who hunt for no loot, but only the bones of ships?

Real pirates were in it for the loot, not to sink ships for no profit/gain. Nothing wrong with your play style but don't make it out as if you are a "real pirate" as you are not by sheer definition of the term. You are a marauder, not a pirate. And that is OK.

• @dlchief58 said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

@idneon said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

What about real pirates. The ones who hunt for no loot, but only the bones of ships?

Real pirates were in it for the loot, not to sink ships for no profit/gain. Nothing wrong with your play style but don't make it out as if you are a "real pirate" as you are not by sheer definition of the term. You are a marauder, not a pirate. And that is OK.

Real pirates were in it for pigs.

More people were burned alive, flayed, and killed for pigs in the Caribbean than were killed for treasures.

Most pirates were also in it for murdering spaniards.

Pirates tended to have a genocidal hatred of Spanish people and killed them enmasse often leaving the treasure behind.

During the raid of Panama, the ship the Cagway killed everyone in the capital they could...and then got Drunk.

Letting the Spanish treasure galleon full of 50 tons of gold, 200 tons of silver, and 100 pounds of emeralds escape...

Not just escape.

It parked next to them not knowing who they were and then had to raise anchor and haul booty when they realized that was the ship that just killed all their families.

The crew continued to drink instead.

THAT IS PIRACY.
    For real.

• When you read Alexander Exquelemin who was a Pirate in the golden age...

You learn Piracy was much less about the love of booty and more about:

The love of pigs
    The hatred of Spaniards

• Can we get something that encourages players to say as an Emissary Grade V longer? It seems like as soon as someone hits grade V they beeline it to an outpost and drop the flag.

• @eratikstorm I love this idea... I would love to see some commendations added for all emissaries for miles sailed while flying their flag.

• @eratikstorm said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

Can we get something that encourages players to say as an Emissary Grade V longer? It seems like as soon as someone hits grade V they beeline it to an outpost and drop the flag.

"Fearless Emissary of (X)" Absolutely great idea!

• Well, I won't be running gold hoarders on fridays then.

• @pithyrumble said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

Well, I won't be running gold hoarders on fridays then.

alt text

• @idneon said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

@dlchief58 said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

@idneon said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

Real pirates were in it for pigs.

More people were burned alive, flayed, and killed for pigs in the Caribbean than were killed for treasures.

Most pirates were also in it for murdering spaniards.

Pirates tended to have a genocidal hatred of Spanish people and killed them enmasse often leaving the treasure behind.

During the raid of Panama, the ship the Cagway killed everyone in the capital they could...and then got Drunk.

Letting the Spanish treasure galleon full of 50 tons of gold, 200 tons of silver, and 100 pounds of emeralds escape...

Not just escape.

It parked next to them not knowing who they were and then had to raise anchor and haul booty when they realized that was the ship that just killed all their families.

The crew continued to drink instead.

THAT IS PIRACY.
    For real.

Again you are describing marauders and not pirates. The definition of a pirate is someone who robs/steals at sea....period (look it up). They did not kill for the thrill, they did so for profit and to some effect to increase their infamy (which would lead to easier capture of later ships, surrendering due to their reputation). Also most would not slaughter the whole crew but rather give them the option to join their crew first after boarding, those that didn't were typically left stranded somewhere.

The violence had a goal - treasure and profit - not killing for the sake of it. Your single example changes none of the history of true piracy, it is the exception to the rule. Such pirates as Pierre le Grand, Blackbeard, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, Bartholemew Roberts, and Captain Kidd are all examples of this. None of these had a hatred for the Spanish as you claim, rather they would profit off them or any other ship that crossed their path. Many would also capture the ships and use them in their own fleet (along with the captured crew of said ships). The Spanish ships were targets as they were typically loaded with treasure looted from the natives in South America and returning it to Spain. Had nothing to do with this Spanish hatred you speak of, which most likely resulted from the initial push by Spain to eradicate pirates in the region (who at that time were more hunters than true pirates seeking booty, likely as the singular example you seem to be stuck on).

Your history is very narrow and limited, not a true depiction of the majority of pirates in the Caribbean during that era (or elsewhere for that matter). Don't kidd yourself on this.

• @dlchief58 not at all.

Just look up the history of pirates written by themselves.

The definition of piracy is all the brotherhood from Caribbean, the change in names is linguistic, not behavioral. All pirates were also all Buccaneers were also all mauraders. Pirate is an English term. As more English joined the brotherhood.

No one cares what the celicians thought from 70BC

A few pirates ran off with treasures.

Most were naval militia fighting colonial wars and not even paid as well as naval sailors who captured prizes.

Which is why piracy fizzled out with pardons and normalization of navies.

If it was about just the treasure ships they would have actually fought for them.

The biggest treasure hauls were sacking wreck salvaging operations.

Whether on the Scorpion Reef or the shores of Florida.

Just Read Exquelemin.

Great stories. But rarely motivated by money.

Many of them were boredom and revenge. Usually against Spaniards trying to get rid of squatters on Spanish land lol.

• Oh also it had everything to do with hate of Spanish.

Exquelemin even goes on about it for like 20 pages about how much they hated the Spanish.

Go ahead.

Name a Spanish pirate. There actually arent any lol.

Not from the actual time frame we are talking about. 1550 - 1715.

All Spanish pirates were either escaped black slaves from the Spanish colonies. Or operated late 1700s early 1800s after the collapse of the Spanish Carribean.

One operating in 1500s was Basque. Not Spanish.

• Also Calico Jack, Anne Bonnie, and Mary, operated for 1 year and failed miserably at the end of Piracy.

Vane never sank a ship for treasure but is known for attacking a Spanish salvage operation and also failed.

Blackbeard was a Scots loyalist and hated the English which is why he raided South Carolina.

I mean we can do this all day.

I'd say some of your LIMITED examples of pirates in it for greed....were the biggest failures.

The best pirate, captain morgan was in it for England.

Most became wealthy retiring as plantation owners in Jamaica.

The best pirates (longest careers) are better defined as naval militia in today's parlance.

They were pirates because they operated independent of government law and were often punished for it by their own governments.

The pirate Republic born in Burmuda fought for independence from England, not treasure. Though as Vane tried, they tried to finance their state with spoils and plunder.

Lord Admiral Nelson captured more treasure in his victory at Battle of St Vincent than all pirates captured in the entire history of piracy.

His entire crews of the rear guard of the British navy (3600 men) became millionaires that day.

An unheard of feat never again accomplished.

• @kommodoreyenser said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

@pithyrumble said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

Well, I won't be running gold hoarders on fridays then.

alt text

Yes, it's quite annoying.

• @idneon

Labels? Definitions? Historical figures?

Pfft! I don't let scholars, books, or long dead men tell me who or what I am.

If you want to dance to their tune, then feel free. But nobody labels me or tells me how to live but myself.

And to me, that is a pirate.

• Today is the day!

Good luck out there pirates... may your voyages be bountiful! And keep an eye on the horizon!

• The Reapers are a joke, TBH. Literally just watched a 3 galleon Reaper alliance (all Grade 5) finish a fort and run from a Gold Hoarder Emissary... Flameheart would be ashamed

• @realstyli spread the word, tell all emissary crews this so they stop running at a glimpse on the map table.

• @realstyli said in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

Flameheart would be ashamed

Aw man! The best ending to the Flameheart arc would be if he eventually just gave up and left because we were all being too embarrassing for him.

His head would start appearing in the sky, but there'd be no ships. He'd just be like. "Look guys, just... just forget it."

• @realstyli sagte in Reapers vs Hoarders - Every Friday!:

The Reapers are a joke, TBH. Literally just watched a 3 galleon Reaper alliance (all Grade 5) finish a fort and run from a Gold Hoarder Emissary... Flameheart would be ashamed

Yeah. Today we duo Slooped with Gold Hoarder Flag Grade 5. While on our Mission we saw a Grade 3 Reaper chasing a Grade 5 Reaper on our map. Turns out it was a Sloop chasing a Galloen, haha.
    We decided to teach Grade 5 that Reapers are not allowed to run. After a short time the Reaper sloop and we the Horders together managed to sink them right next to the Hideout.
    We allianced up had a nice chat with these guys and sold all the Galleeons loot.
    My Crewmate and I were about to logout anyway so we scuttled and they sold our Grade 5 flag, then they scuttled and we sold theirs.
    These nice Guys told us that it was them who sunk us at Crecent Island after we did a Vault there hours ago :)

We just turned this Event into Reapers feat Horders vs Runners
    That was fun, yarr^^

• What time does this end on eastern time zone. I put it into google got a 8pm. I really hope not I was looking forward to this

Views
25 out of 26