The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.

• @v@ca-hombre said in The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.:

@boxcar-squidy said in The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.:

responding to people with unhelpful comments like "get good'" is also against the rules of this forum.

Really?

Cause it seemed to be the go-to response in some of the PvE threads.

Well, I distinctly remember that being specifically mentioned, along with calling people noobs, as things that were verboten. Might be from back before the forums got a new lick of paint though. To be honest the mods here do a really good job of focusing on fostering discussion rather than fastidiously adhering to the rules. My observation is that they tend to let some things slide when to do otherwise would completely kill the discussion.

It's not like I'm an angel either, I've certainly gone too far from time to time in the heat of the moment. The moderation has been firm but fair. It takes very little effort to be nice to one another though.

If someone goes to the effort of creating a post to discuss the game, I think it's basic human decency to engage with them in a constructive and positive manner. If you disagree, disagree in a way that moves the conversation along. Explain why you disagree, offer another avenue of conversation.

Responding with "Hurr Durr, Git gud, I am da best! lel" is weak. All it does is kill the discussion. If everyone responded to every post with that sort of nonsense this forum would have literally no interesting conversations at all on it.

When it comes to the PvE threads though, I reckon a good number of people are just so jaded with that particular conversation that their intention actually is to kill the discussion.

Obviously, you and I have been around the block here, and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know already.

• @boxcar-squidy said in The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.:

Might be from back before the forums got a new lick of paint though.

Probably.

Though, with the level of vitriol some of those threads achieved, maybe "git gud" just seemed too tame in comparison. =P

• @idneon
    Honestly we might have a different playstyle. 20 chain shots? Hitting with one a sloop is already an overkill

Stopping at fort to resupply was a thing in Sea of Thieves 2018, now you just get them by floating barrels and by shooting yourself on islands while sailing. Ships fights doesnt required much supplies because you need to resolve them as fast as possible. Winning point of it is boarding. You just need your mate to distract with random cannonballs or with fire shooting and well, once your on board and the anchor is dropped you already got an huge advantage. If you also decent and manage to kill entire crew battle is over actually.

More time you spend in a ship fight more likely your enemies learn your strategies and/or start to run away, starting a tedious amd annoying ship chase simulator.

So yeah get good and be fast, whale supplies arent needed.

• @boxcar-squidy

Yeah lets act like victims when im the one getting called troll.

Whos the disrespectful here

Im already very patient and kind to not report anyone. But do not challenge me because incoerence trigger me pretty quickly.

• [mod edit]

• [mod edit]

• [mod edit]

• @boxcar-squidy Your post has been edited as it goes against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

ALWAYS:

Be courteous. Don’t insult players you don’t know. If humour is the intent, remember that this can be lost or misinterpreted online, and words can very easily offend. Be mindful of what you’re saying and if someone asks a question, see if you can help them out as you’d appreciate being helped out yourself if the roles were reversed.

Name calling, personal attacks and using derogatory language against Community Members, Rare Employees, Global Moderators or Deckhands is not acceptable. Using such language will result in a warning, then temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action is persistent or increasingly aggressive, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules and Pirate Code in future.

Thank you.

• @tossico94 Your post has been edited as it goes against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

ALWAYS:

Be courteous. Don’t insult players you don’t know. If humour is the intent, remember that this can be lost or misinterpreted online, and words can very easily offend. Be mindful of what you’re saying and if someone asks a question, see if you can help them out as you’d appreciate being helped out yourself if the roles were reversed.

Name calling, personal attacks and using derogatory language against Community Members, Rare Employees, Global Moderators or Deckhands is not acceptable. Using such language will result in a warning, then temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action is persistent or increasingly aggressive, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules and Pirate Code in future.

Thank you.

• As a tired general note to all....

Please avoid engaging in personal arguments and derailing the topic of the thread. It is fine to debate the content of the post, and the viewpoints therein, but disrespecting any of your fellow pirates personally is against the pirate code, and our forum rules.

• @tossico94 said in The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.:

@idneon
    Honestly we might have a different playstyle. 20 chain shots? Hitting with one a sloop is already an overkill

Stopping at fort to resupply was a thing in Sea of Thieves 2018, now you just get them by floating barrels and by shooting yourself on islands while sailing. Ships fights doesnt required much supplies because you need to resolve them as fast as possible. Winning point of it is boarding. You just need your mate to distract with random cannonballs or with fire shooting and well, once your on board and the anchor is dropped you already got an huge advantage. If you also decent and manage to kill entire crew battle is over actually.

More time you spend in a ship fight more likely your enemies learn your strategies and/or start to run away, starting a tedious amd annoying ship chase simulator.

So yeah get good and be fast, whale supplies arent needed.

Yeah that is a substantial difference, but it might explain YOUR point of view.

I go for skelly forts because I want those 20 chain shots.

Also I think of chain shots as virtually useless against sloops. Takes them 10 seconds to raise a mast.

Lastly, I win fights without ever boarding. And hence this food strategy, which helps limit effectiveness of boarders, and lastly, if your ship is a raging inferno (which against me it will be...) then you won't really be getting opportunities to board in the first place ;)

Going to islands while travelling around does work, but when you're as heavily in battle all the time as I usually am, it's just not enough.

I'm even contemplating stopping at 2 skelly forts or an additional outpost before hunting ships, just so we can always be ahead on chain shots...chain shots are such an integral part of naval battles.

And based on looting rates, it seems you'll always have 2x as many firebombs and blunderbombs as you have chain shots.

And those are close seconds for important in any naval battle.

Regular cannon shots have a dual purpose, range finding, and demoralizing distance shots.

Only lastly do you start to pepper their hull with regular cannon shot. When the enemy ship is struggling to put out a fire or get a mast up, that's when you know the regular cannon shot is ripe.

• @idneon

Welp not really, while your enemy is busy repairing the mast they are pretty vulnerable by cannon shots, sniper shots, and boarder so yeah its an overkill actually.

If you sink someone without boarding well, it mean your enemy is not that good (and well recently i saw the sea full of unexperienced players, indeed months are passed since i had fun in a fight)

How you can be always in battle on a 6 ships server? You sure you arent referring to arena?

• @tossico94 said in The No Food Strategy aka anti-spawn-camper strat.:

@idneon

Welp not really, while your enemy is busy repairing the mast they are pretty vulnerable by cannon shots, sniper shots, and boarder so yeah its an overkill actually.

If you sink someone without boarding well, it mean your enemy is not that good (and well recently i saw the sea full of unexperienced players, indeed months are passed since i had fun in a fight)

How you can be always in battle on a 6 ships server? You sure you arent referring to arena?

No, I ONLY play Adventure.

I am always in battle because for one, I will SPOT you, day or night, at max render distance, like a hawk spots a rat...doesn't matter the complexity of the surroundings.

I've seen ships with just a stick of their mast behind an island from like 4 or 5 grid squares away. I've seen that stick of a mast while chugging my 1.5 liter bottle of Riunite or Port wine... I just have a keen eye.

I love just sailing, trimming the sails, keeping my head on a swivel then in a distant fog..."Is that a galleon"? Hard turn to starboard abaft. "Get the sails trimmed boys we got a Galleon!" on the other side of the map....

So...I know you're there: I have guns, will travel.

Anyway...

I don't think ONLY bad crews get sunk by cannon fire...I just think you have to be really good with cannon-fire to sink without boarding. It's a challenge, but it's a fun one. You have to land a lot of hits, you have to do it at distance (or get boarded), you have to do it timely, consistently, and use a LOT of variety of shot frequently.

None of which is easy.

• @idneon
    You only play adventure? that speak pretty much (no offense).

• @tossico94 I think adventure is superior to Arena.

More random and have to work for a fight with less garbage encounters (from what I've heard)

Yesterday I found 3 meh-fights. One brig that was crew of 3 against me solo....they were hard.

And a galleon that was a fair fight (even though fully crewed galleons are complex while Brigs can be solo sailed. I tore them up in overwhelming tasks).

So that seems pretty typical of Adventure.

• @idneon
    Adventure is easier than arena

Just because you go there to do only pvp😂

Before discord banwave that was the place to meet toxicity and tryhard players for training. Now i dont know i didnt touched it on pc from awhile.

Adventure superior to arena? Well yes since adventure is a sandbox mode and you can do whatever u wanna do.

I played on xbox today, with a broken controller (stick drift) with 1 minute ferry loading, with random crash happening due to server merge,on mixed servers (it means both xbox and pc player can be there) at 30 fps.

And man the sadness of the pvp. Not even fun sinking peoples in 2 minutes

If the sea is in this state i have no doubt you win fights without boarding.

• @tossico94 Sounds to me that you're just mad that you didn't think of being that clever.

Clever pirates are the inheritors of the Sea of Thieves, not dim-witted simpleton brigands.

• @hawk2148

Okay

• Its interesting, but I personally don't find it practical. Meat provides a great health benefit, there is no question there, but what balances it out is collecting it. We can rule out fishing, because ain't nobody got time for that, unless you pull it from shipwrecks. That leaves land based animals which are somewhat plentiful but its raw still when you collect it. I get that you leave it raw for the sole purpose of denial, but you simultaneously prevent yourself from using it in a pinch. Once you burn through your meager fruit stock, you are left with raw meat that you need to cook. Its just not practical to cook during a fight.

Ultimately, you wreck your offensive capabilities in fights that last longer than an initial encounter. Good crews won't just turn over in the first volleys of a fight. If someone has to make an elaborate strategy food denial strategy just to ensure you can't be easily spawn camped, I think you have a bigger problem considering defending from boarders is quite easy in of itself.

For the vast majority that attempt this, it will look nothing like what is described above. All it takes is killing you once before you can fully heal to lose that passive regen. One little skirmish to burn through your meager fruit supplies as well, because your opponents also have meat and other high tiered health items, so it isn't as if you have an edge in food quality. Now if you die the boat is unguarded, but just because there isn't fruit, doesn't mean I or any boarder won't do anything about it. What will happen is they just start eating the raw food. Granted, its not much healing, but that just means I eat more of it. How much raw food do you think I can consume before you return?

This idea isn't without merit, but what I might suggest is still keeping fruit, but use a storage crate to stash it in a different somewhat hidden place. Sloop is limited, but Galleon has options. Simply placing it bottom deck deters most spawn campers, because if the goal is camping, they won't really be down there. This way, you still have fruit for offense while denying campers from the usual spot.

This strategy only works for the short term, but the minute the fight goes on for a few death cycles is the minute you lose the edge. Any good crew can extend a fight out a bit. It feels like this strategy is designed to work against incompetent people. You may have an entire stockpile of raw food and an inventory of Pineapples, that doesn't mean your opponent won't have the same in pineapples. Your opponent has the supplies to mount an immediate attack with fresh food after death, but what can you do once you burn through your meager fruit stock?

TLDR: Works great for short term, but not practical for any fight that lasts a few death cycles.

Views
46 out of 54