The Content Problem.

• Good afternoon to all of you. I'm sure most of us can agree that Sea Of Thieves has a huge content problem, and I'd like to make a short post outlining the problems with content we have.

For context, I've been playing/grinding this game on and off since release and I always think it's had it's issues but I feel like the game is going nowhere fast, and the content we're getting is regurgitated and even lazy at times.

Enemies

Skeletons
    My issue with the skeletons is that they're overused and usually quite in the way. The game thinks that spawning 5, 6-hit skeletons on you the second you dig up a chest makes it difficult. But it's genuinely quite annoying. You don't need skeletons on every dig spot. It gets annoying and tedious after 2 digs. Back to the "overused" thing. I find it quite boring that skeletons are the only real enemy you'll find on an island (excluding other players). Sure you've got, well... snakes. But eventually fighting nothing but skeletons gets tedious. Adding more variants of skeletons (shadow, golden, seaweed) doesn't fix this as they just become quite underwhelming overtime. Imagine another game, like doom for example, spawning nothing on you but the basic soldier enemy for the entirety of the game. It loses it's entertainment value really quickly. My suggestion for fixing this problem is to just move away from skeletons and add an entirely new group of enemies to the game together. For example, lost souls from the ferry of the damned, maybe an aggressive animal, island tribes and so on. I have thoughts on ashen winds but that's for later...

On the waves
    It's the same experience on the waves. It's the same couple of enemies with the occasional player crew. The kraken is way too easy on a sloop now to the point where the boss fight has no real merit or thrill to it anymore and most players can handle a meg or a skull ship easily. The point is, the same pool of 3 enemies occasionally spawning on you gets incredibly boring really quickly, (unless you count the different colour megs - which I don't). The only meg worth fighting at this point is the shrouded ghost - which, I won't lie, looking for and finding the shrouded ghost was one of my best experiences with the game. The underlying point is that the enemies on the waves get boring, fast. After you kill the kraken once, kill a couple different colour megs then give up on the ghost, and kill a skull ship or two, that part of the game doesn't change. Its difficulty doesn't scale up, unless you have a bigger boat, and it just becomes shooting cannons at a wiggly hitbox after 2-3 encounters of the same enemy.
    Side note: I'd also recommend removing the maiden voyage or at least the segment that spoils the main 3 enemies you'll find on the waves. Knowing they exist in the game and having to find them is what makes it fun. Not having them waved in front of you.

Ocean Crawler?
    When the ocean crawler set was released with the kraken set I thought it would be coming to the game at some point in the future. I think adding the ocean crawler or any sort of other bosses you can imagine to make that pool of enemies larger would be the fix to it. Because, if you know what makes krakens spawn (world events ending), chances are you'll only encounter the odd meg or occasional skull ship. The enemy pool is way too small and needs to expand. You could do this by adding the ocean crawler, adding a bird boss of some sort or anything else I'm just spit balling here.
    I'm not saying to make the boss spawn rate higher, I like it as it is now and I'd only increase it by a little if at all. But to have the amount of bosses that can spawn to be larger. So you aren't fighting the same 2-3 enemies when you're on the waves.

Ashen winds "content"
    When a game adds content, I usually split it into 2 things. "Soft Content" and "Hard Content". Hard content is content that directly affects gameplay, adds new mechanics to the game, changes the gameplay experience, etc. Soft content is usually an optional experience, sidelined away from the main game or usually put in your way as an annoyance just so you remember it exists. I think you know what I'm gonna say about Ashen Winds... Flameheart, his fleet and his captains are all optional, annoying and in the way. It is an attempt to tackle the enemy on islands problem mentioned above but a poor one. Most players will steer clear of flameheart and his fleet and the massive, red, sky tornadoes because it's the same experience after 2 attempts. They're easily avoidable and are just there as an optional extra for players who want a challenge. Which is cool n all. But, as mentioned above, fighting flameheart once is enough and all you'll get from the experience. The flamethrower skull is cool n all but it instantly comes with the crutch of encouraging players not to use it with the commendations and it will usually end up getting you killed if used in PvP situations.

"Bosses"
    I haven't forgotten about the skeleton lords. I remember when I first fought Briggsy and she launched me miles off into the ocean off of Crooked Masts it was genuinely a fun experience. Figuring out her moves, taking her skull, etc was a fun and, crucially new piece of gameplay for me to enjoy. Now. Take everything about that fight and recycle, reuse and regurgitate it for every single "skeleton lord" fight. Then you have Graymarrow and the Gold Hoarder. Each boss has 3 main attacks, 1. teleport, 2. Slam and 3. Summon sighs more skeletons. Sitting there shooting Graymarrow with guns and ships cannons for 3 in game days really did it for me and just made the entire thing seem pointless and by the time my crew and I got to shores of gold we weren't in the mood to fight the final boss, the poster boy. Why? Because we knew what his fight would be before getting into it. We knew his moves, we knew the room we'd be fighting him in thanks to poster material and we knew what he looked like. (Also I'm just gonna mention that the price for his skull was way too low and left a bad taste in my mouth after the whole ordeal).

Tall Tales and The New Vaults

Out of the shores of gold tall tales, 2 are fun to play. Cursed rogue and the art of the trickster. To mention, the actual shores of gold was pretty disappointing. I obviously wasn't expecting shores made out of gold but I was expecting something more than what we got. And the achievement where you have to play the tall tale 5 times is just draining to get. Either way, they took everything fun about the tall tales and ripped it into the new ancient vaults update. The thing that made tall tales fun to play is that they were new. Following cursed compasses, entering ancient vaults and exploring trap ridden caves are what made them great. I was quite disappointed when I saw the vault idea be reused over and over again in tall tales and the new vault update, as I felt it was quite a breath of fresh air and it was a shame to see it be reused to the extent that it was. Either way they all followed a formula. Go to island, dig up miscellaneous chest, go to vault, shroudbreaker stone yay. They all got boring but were still a fun experience overall. Ignoring the finale. It was a shame to see them be introduced to the main game as they were because it stripped them of their originality and made the tall tales even more unplayable.

Still no point in Pirate Legend

This has been said enough but to summarise. Pirate legend is a cosmetic role. It's a status symbol more than anything. Athena voyages are just more of the same stuff reused and recycled into one big voyage for you to hate. The main athena voyage is practically useless now that thieves haven runs exist and the fact you can get the ghost set and athenas voyager before pirate legend defeats the purpose of the grind. Cheers.

Quests
    Gold hoarders missions are annoying and can even ruin the experience for new players if they get an island like plunder valley or old faithfull isle. The riddles can often be hard to find and overstretch the attention span of the player to the point where they start to get bored. By the time you get round to doing an order of souls mission all the skeleton fighting has been drained from your being, but the fleets are a step in the right direction. Even if they eliminate the point in flameheart. Merchant cargo runs are quick and easy money and a good way to get rep but the animal missions are long, tedious and repetitive. Maybe go into adding an aggressive animal (as suggested above) as a way to counteract this. As something should be trying to stop you from catching passive animals. Just not skeletons. We've had our fill of skeletons now. One of the main complaints I see is about how you can't open chests (and yes, I don't see collectors chests as an answer to this problem) and how you can't do anything with skulls. As to the first, I don't mind the chest thing personally but I do get the worldbreaking argument to it. As for the "skull enchantment" idea, I like sea of thieves because everyone starts off with the same equipment and it's down to the players to outsmart and outthink eachother. I think having a special sword could massively imbalance the game if implemented wrong so I'd be careful in how it is done, if at all. Rare could ignore these problems as they aren't big or potent in the game today.

To summarise
    The main point of this has been to highlight how the game stays fresh as long as the content does. And recycling and reusing the same content over and over isn't the fix for it. Examples of this being Tall tales, megs, the worst victim of this, skeletons, etc. Rare should strive for new bosses, enemies and quests which are all different from another. Otherwise the game becomes more of the same stuff. Obviously not every quest can be different but if you have a list of possibly 5 events that can happen in a gold hoarders quest (to start with) and 3 different spots they can happen in you can get 15 different quests. Which is actually a lot. There are low chances you'll get the exact same quest which at least reduces the cycle of repeating content.
    The reason for me writing this is because I'd like to see Rare and one of my favourite games improve. Feel free to leave any other suggestions or feedback below and I'll try and respond to it all!

Views
    communityfeedback
  • Yep, the game has issues. But then again, so does every game if you look hard enough. My advice? Just enjoy the individual and unexpected moments. 😉

• I disagree that Sea of Thieves has a content problem at all. When I play the game I seem to get into some kind of unusual shenanigan every time. You can see this at twitch.tv/tenriak

Skeletons

I really like the Skeletons as the kind of PVE "life" in the world. I think they are very well done and designed, especially when it comes to skeletons with unique mechanics. While the entire created world is full of skeletons, this may get repetitive I guess but it certainly makes the world all seem related. The PVE is not this games saving grace any way, it's the PvP. The exciting part is not always getting the treasure, (although thats plenty of times turned into an adventure for me) it's often getting that treasure turned in on a sea thats named for thieves that's the fun. Remember, this game isn't about killing skeletons, it's about getting treasure.

Sailing can certainly feel like a chore sometimes. But I think thats only because I've done it so much. When I first installed I spent hours just sailing around by myself exploring the world and finding unique and beautiful places. No voyage on the table at all. Lost and exploring this new world was an amazing experience for me. Now that I've explored plenty of it I'm often more focused on sails on the horizon rather than beautiful sunsets, but I think sailing is well implemented and designed. (Except the sails forward thing, fix that please.)

As far as enemies in the sea they can start to feel like a chore sometimes. Did you know the Kraken used to attack us every 15 seconds? The first time I saw the Kraken I was chasing a sloop through a storm. They got Krakened in front of me and the beautiful memory of the cannon fire from their ship start to boom not far out in front of me was astounding. I didn't even know if he had treasure. I just thought he did because he was running. The fight turned into a sloop on sloop pursuit to a sloop, sloop vs. Kraken. After it was over and the waters calmed, we collected the loot near us and sailed off in separate directions. An amazing story only available in the sand box with a mechanic that you find repetitive and boring.

The only gripe I have with the sea monsters is that I feel spawned on when they appear. I don't feel like they found me or I found them. It feels random. If it were up to me, I'd spawn the kraken on a timer after a fort is run (or however they have content spawn timers set up) But I'd spawn it at a point with no players. Instead of an indicator in the sky you have the black circle of inky water that slowly moves around the map. This could be used as an obstacle while sailing to thwart some one pursuing me or simply hunted. If a ship touches the black circle, the Kraken moves to the center of the ship and spawns as it does now. You could even make it move toward the closest ship slowly or add a voyage to get a compass that points at it's location.

Same thing with Megs, but I supposed i'd always have 1 or 2 spawned I guess. Or maybe I just spawn one once an hour unless 2 are already spawned or something. You could have a meg thats really aggressive and attacks any ship it sees all the way down to a meg thats really avoidant and runs constantly. With commendations for each.

Ocean Crawler
    ashen winds
    bosses
    I honestly don't have much input here. I like the environment they have created and while new content is always fun, I think they need to be very careful and ensure the world doesn't feel overcrowded. Flameheart seems like he's always up there jabbering at me already, there's never really just open sea's any more or quit moments with him up there staring at me and sucking my soul out through my computer screen. I think Flameheart needs some adjustment to feel better in the world, but the content itself is fun and engaging and these new encounters certainly give unique rewards such as ghost cannon balls and Ashen Wind skulls making you a more magical ship like the black pearl instead of a standard pirate ship. Beautiful design and well implemented. I'm not leveling my ship like they originally wanted pirate legends to do, but I'm still making progress each adventure and obtaining that goal of being that magical elusive pirate ship that makes birth in Thieves Haven.

Tall Tales and the New Vaults
    I haven't played through a Tall Tale that I didn't enjoy yet. These things incorporate islands not on the map, magical items that take you through the shroud, ancient vaults, magic, and even a story about true love. Their payout may be a little low, but how you could complain about these at all is simply blasphemy. They are very well done. I haven't actually been to the shores of gold yet, as it's not my main objective. But I will get there one day, and I am excited for it.

I feel like the shores of gold should let you walk away with all the treasure of a gold vault at least the first time you run it. Then it can just give you the skull in subsequent runs. (Unless you're with a pirate who hasn't run it then yay you!) 10k is certainly low for a place called the "shores of gold"

Still no point to Pirate Legend
    I say this lightly: How dare you?! I am so close to Pirate Legend I can't hardly stand it. I cannot wait to start my adventure off by joining an open galleon crew and plopping down an athena's quest. I want to be a Pirate Legend who only cares about those athena's chests because he has too much gold to his name. I'm super excited for it, and I can't believe you aren't. Access to the beautiful and seemingly rare Pirate Legend area is almost alone enough to make some one want the title. We are in complete disagreement here.

@woodedskate89 said in The Content Problem.:

Merchant cargo runs are quick and easy money and a good way to get rep

This is probably why you aren't enjoying the game. This is likely the least exciting content you could get into. Maybe you just need to spend a day joining a galleon crew and getting into mischief with people you've never met before. I do this in this video and had a great time with a couple strangers. Try just running that content that comes to you. Got meg'd? Kill it. I mean it drops loot, and you're a pirate who loves treasure right? Do you know how good meg meat is in a fight? Cook it. It's great. I'm almost happy when I get meg'd because I know the reward. The sails go up and we fight it. Have you run the fort of the damned? You should try it. It's awesome. Last time I did it as soon as the key dropped ships started coming out of no where. We got athena's heisted in a fight with a brig and an unaligned sloop losing the athenas but keeping everything else. It was awesome.

In conclusion, I basically disagree with you on all points and would like to see development go in the exact direction that it has been which is continuing to give us a great game.

• Yeah this game is in serious need of new content and I wish servers were bigger I rarely see anyone, I’ve been playing probably 6-7 hours today and haven’t seen a single person

• I love this game, let me start off by saying that. I play it almost everyday, several hours, but for the last couple of months I have been struggling, hard. For those defending this game, saying that it doesn't lack content haven't either playing it long enough or just don't have the video game design knowledge to see it. If you're into the grind, you will have fun for a while. If you don't and can't get with the lack of progression this game has to offer, you quickly realize what a bland, repetitive and boring game this is, due to lack of content.

There's nothing new added, no new mechanics, no new gameplay elements, no new features and especially, barely any new cosmetics anymore. Everything is rehashed content, same mechanics in a newish way, same same same. What's the point of all the grind for gold when you can't buy anything new? What's the point of reaching max reputation when you don't even get a title for your time?

This post hit the nail. and I would love to read you go through many other aspects of the game.

Views
communityfeedback
4 out of 5