New competition on PS4

• King of Seas
    "King of Seas is an Action Role playing game set in a deadly procedurally generated pirate world."

Glad to see more competition! This will be another opportunity for Rare to get new ideas for features and/or content!

King of Seas - Gameplay Trailer | PS4

Views
    competition
  • From the looks of that trailer, this is going to be a top down experience, where you play as the ship, not a single pirate. Similar to Overboard! on PS1. Apart from theme, it's not really going to be similar to SoT really.

• @thagoochiestman Can't wait for the SoT haters to roll in and say:

"This is the game to kill SoT! The end is nigh! Prepare for the downfall!"

Cracks me up everytime... cough cough Atlas cough Skull and Bones cough cough

• That's not competition

• @realstyli

Overboard! I remember that one..
    A fun little game!

Seeing as this week SOT has gone on sale on Xbox and Steam, and today we have a come back and play video released, perhaps Rare could find a way of getting this game onto the PlayStation too.
    If they want big numbers playing, then that is the answer. It's a few years old now, so does it have to be exclusive forever?

• @needsmokes

That's really up to Microsoft whether they'd want to put one of their exclusives on a rival console.

They put Ori on Switch but I don't think they see Nintendo as direct competition in the same way Sony is. Minecraft could be another example, but Mojang had already released it on PlayStation before MS bought them, so that's an exception.

It would be really cool if they do it though, the more the merrier.

• @klutchxking518 said in New competition on PS4:

@thagoochiestman Can't wait for the SoT haters to roll in and say:

No allthough it looks like garbage.

@ajm123 said in New competition on PS4:

That's not competition

Agree.

• This is so bad let's just say if Sony bought rare I would be a playstation player

• @ashen-dragon366 when I mean bad this looks like a pirate phone game

• @needsmokes yes mate it is owned by Microsoft if it was to go to a console it would be switch because they put ori and the will of the wisp on switch

• And I forgot this is the only game stopping me to moveing to playstation let's just say if they did that I would be team playstation because Microsoft have not got really any good games compared to playstation

• @thagoochiestman thats an entirely different game.

• @ashen-dragon366 said in New competition on PS4:

And I forgot this is the only game stopping me to moveing to playstation let's just say if they did that I would be team playstation because Microsoft have not got really any good games compared to playstation

Forget both consoles and switch to PC ;)

• Saw this on Steam. I would not call this competition since it does not appear you can leave the ship but may check it out.

• It’s not the same league like SoT, it’s not even the same sport 😆

• @blam320 I never really liked pc for my opinion

@blam320 I never really liked pc for my opinion

How come? We got tons of games, utility, wider range of inputs...

• I never really liked pc for my opinion

How come? We got tons of games, utility, wider range of inputs...

Join us...

@needsmokes yes mate it is owned by Microsoft if it was to go to a console it would be switch because they put ori and the will of the wisp on switch

No, Microsoft had nothing to do with that deal as Moon Studios is independent and own the original IP. Same for Cuphead, though Microsoft did encourage them to release it on the Switch. Microsoft has no stake in either of those titles outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

• @dlchief58 said in New competition on PS4:

@ashen-dragon366 said in New competition on PS4:

@needsmokes yes mate it is owned by Microsoft if it was to go to a console it would be switch because they put ori and the will of the wisp on switch

No, Microsoft had nothing to do with that deal as Moon Studios is independent and own the original IP. Same for Cuphead, though Microsoft did encourage them to release it on the Switch. Microsoft has no stake in either of those titles outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

Microsoft owns the distribution rights for ori.

And theres conflicting articles where moon studios actually declare that microsoft owns the ori ip.

• @troubled-cells said in New competition on PS4:

@dlchief58 said in New competition on PS4:

And theres conflicting articles where moon studios actually declare that microsoft owns the ori ip.

Xbox Studios was only responsible for the distribution/publishing of the first one on the Switch where they did buy up the publishing rights for that one. The sequel was published on the Switch by Iam8bit which quite clearly infers that Microsoft does not own the IP otherwise it would have had the Xbox Studios as publisher like the first.

@troubled-cells said in New competition on PS4:

Xbox Studios was only responsible for the distribution/publishing of the first one on the Switch where they did buy up the publishing rights for that one. The sequel was published on the Switch by Iam8bit which quite clearly infers that Microsoft does not own the IP otherwise it would have had the Xbox Studios as publisher like the first.

I dont think it does infer that though lol

Like i said there is literally articles out there of moon studios employees noting that microsoft own the IP.

So either way none of us truly know.

• @troubled-cells Sorry but I beg to differ on this. If Microsoft owned the IP then why would another company publish it? Makes no sense as a third party would be getting paid for publishing it instead of Microsoft. They clearly had distribution rights for the first and is stated as such, the sequel does not follow this pattern. Anyway this isn't adding to the discussion so I'll leave it here so we don't derail the thread.

• This looks really bad

@troubled-cells Sorry but I beg to differ on this. If Microsoft owned the IP then why would another company publish it? Makes no sense as a third party would be getting paid for publishing it instead of Microsoft. They clearly had distribution rights for the first and is stated as such, the sequel does not follow this pattern. Anyway this isn't adding to the discussion so I'll leave it here so we don't derail the thread.

Beg to differ all you like buddy, neither of us really know for sure due to so many conflicting report's lol

Arent bethesda still publishing their own umbrella despite being acquired by microsoft ?

It's not as binary as you like to try and make out.

Cheers

• @troubled-cells said in New competition on PS4:

@troubled-cells Sorry but I beg to differ on this. If Microsoft owned the IP then why would another company publish it? Makes no sense as a third party would be getting paid for publishing it instead of Microsoft. They clearly had distribution rights for the first and is stated as such, the sequel does not follow this pattern. Anyway this isn't adding to the discussion so I'll leave it here so we don't derail the thread.

Beg to differ all you like buddy, neither of us really know for sure due to so many conflicting report's lol

Arent bethesda still publishing their own umbrella despite being acquired by microsoft ?

Cheers

Not applicable as Bethesda will be part of the Microsoft family (thus sales money would stay in house), Iam8bit is not. That Bethesda label will make it easier for Microsoft to continue putting any of those titles on SONY (or Nintendo, though that is less of a concern given their relationship) consoles if they like than if they had the Xbox Studios name emblazoned on them. And though you say there is plenty of articles starting this to be true, I have yet to find a single one stating or even implying that.

@troubled-cells said in New competition on PS4:

Cheers

Not applicable as Bethesda will be part of the Microsoft family (thus sales money would stay in house), Iam8bit is not. That Bethesda label will make it easier for Microsoft to continue putting any of those titles on SONY (or Nintendo, though that is less of a concern given their relationship) consoles if they like than if they had the Xbox Studios name emblazoned on them. And though you say there is plenty of articles starting this to be true, I have yet to find a single one stating or even implying that.

It could be applicable though lol,. Like I said, there is conflicting information out there.

3rd paragraph, you're welcome

Your whole argument hinges on IF you are correct.

Currently it's fair to say neither one of us can prove either.

Cheers.

• @dlchief58 oh that's good to no thanks for telling me rhis

• @ashen-dragon366 know not no

• @klutchxking518 said in New competition on PS4:

@thagoochiestman Can't wait for the SoT haters to roll in and say:

Yeah they do this because they think Pirate Game = Competition for Sea of Thieves.

It's just not true, the games all deliver a different experience in the end. With Sea of Thieves we have a non-MMO shared open world experience with no divides. There's really nothing similar to this on the market.

I prefer Sea of Thieves anyway, you just get to be in this Pirate world doing Pirate things with nothing but you and your crew dictating your goals and objectives.

• @thagoochiestman

Sir, i think you are Duke's greatest follower , when he said " do something...daring" , you did . i mean , you said something daring .
    Rare can get new ideas or content...i almost choked in my cocomilk...True , Sea of Thieves is playable for 4 years now , and some , who never played would say , it's a dated game . But i haven't seen any other game that has copied nor improved the water , the skies , the music ,sound and so on... You think that this King of Seas ,that doesn't look 4 but 10 years old , really will inspire Rare to have new ideas???

My dear Pirate game loving Pirate , if we could grasp the intellect and genius of this Team , we would walk away with our heads bowed deep between our shoulders ...Because they really have a lot of imagination that they translated in code...

No, it's like many other Pirate games , it's good that they are there , competition is good but getting better than and more beautiful than SOT ? i fear that this may take some 10 years and a few new consoles before we will see this happen...i ain't going to kick on Playstation or Steam or any other providing company but this is just another Pirate game , good , but not good enough to dethrone the True King of the Seas , and i think that you know who i mean with this.

Views
competition
30 out of 31